/run/ running general

Hello everyone,

Who is training for a spring marathon?
I will go to a country (Eastern Europe) where it most likely snow. How is it to run with snowy streets? Is it even possible to do workouts?

No idea. It's 70 degrees (21 Celsius) year round where I live, so I can't even fathom running in snow. Probably need waterproof socks or something.

If there is snow on the ground get snowshoes, they have some made especially for running. Snowshoeing is great, I love doing it.

Don't you have rain season then?

Just don't run on ice, the potential fall is not worth it.

Just started running, did a mile last week and now up to 3, how do I improve faster?
I have to be able to run 6 by mid-January, any advice?

Keep running 3 times a week easy pace. Try to stay fresh and keep hydrated, eat light and just jog your 6mi.

It a bit unrealistic to do anything else right now. Progress comes with time.

Slow and steady, no need to play with speed right now.

I have not ran in a week and my ankle tendinitis is still acting up

is it time to consult?

Walk it off.

Tried running this morning, sidewalks and streets were slick as fuck. High grade hills + frozen terrain made me nope out of there.

I might head to the gym and run on a treadmill, but those bore me to no end.

Pro tip if you're running out doors in the winter is to run on snow or dirt. Fuck the ice.

not sure if anyone's here but whatever

I ran a 19 minute 5k the other day. I've only been running consistently for about a week or so. I know this will inevitably come across as bragging - but is there any chance I could be competitive athletically? I'm 21 now so I'm probably too old, any ideas of what I could do though?

Rest and ice it... tendonitis can take weeks to get better. In the meantime try to do PT to strengthen the muscles above the injury without putting stress on the ankle.

Is running on threadmill barefoot a good idea?

keep running and enter more 5ks

19 is good for a beginner but you're an adult so keep it moving

ok cheers brah

Fattie here. I just started running 6 months ago in the process of losing weight. I did my first 10k yesterday at 1 hour 5 minutes.
I want a new pair of running shoes because my current pair is falling apart (nike free 5.0). I bought this pair on a whim because I didn't know what I was looking for.
I think I need more cushioning, but at the same time I like the lightness of my current shoes.
Any suggestion? I want a pair with good cushioning but not too heavy. Thanks.

there's a Norwegian saying: There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.

I had 2 pairs of running shoes so I could run in the rain and then dry one pair of shoes out, then use the other pair the next day and cycle like that.

Also pic related for when it's really icy.

might as well get some hokas if you're fat. nike running shoes are all garbage, unless you're one of the people that the pegs fit. if you don't want to look like you're wearing clown shoes (hokas) try some sauconys, The Ride and Zealot are pretty cushioned.

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually dont mind the look of the shoe at all as I will only use it for running. The hoka one one looks comfy and well cushioned.

How do I stop my bluetooth headphones from shutting down in the cold?

It's one thing running in -27C cold. A whole 'nother thing running in -27C with nothing but the blistering wind to keep you company....

Check operational temp range, ask manufacturer for tips. Apart from keeping them close to your body, which I assume is properly protected, there's not much you can do.

Wtf are you doing running in the arctic anyway?

What's a decent 5k time?

>implying people dont know to walk on the snow causing it to compress and freeze into slippery rocks
>implying the dirt doesnt get wet therefore freezes making it just as difficult as everything else

Go swimming man

Is running 1km in 3:10 difficult? How do I get good at 1km running if I'm untrained?

Any time better than your previous best one

You have to run more.

Wear a hat that covers the headphones.

no your feet will get extremely hot, just try it

Dont
I got blisters all over thanks to trying that

Of course it's possible. Just use trail running shoes. And avoid ice. Also don't run fast, run distance.

Oh and always do warm up. Since it's fucking cold and your leg muscles can go stiff really fast.

Hey bros, army fag here, I'm trying to get a rasp slot which requires a 40 minute 5 mile run. I can already do it but I'm looking to it down to 35, I would also like to max the apft which requires a 13 minute 2 mile. I have a long time before this happens so there is no urgency. Does anyone know have know of a program or something i could follow to make this happen?

I have those. They definitely help on ice. Don't wear them inside; they slip on tiled floors and get stuck on carpet.

They're no help with the ladies, though.

I get heart palpitations when running, but not really anything else. I'm extremely unconditioned to it as I've just been a couchfag for most of my life. If I keep it up will it go away you guys think?

Better check it out, you don't joke with heart.

Anyone else using pic related? I plan to use them during wintertime, switch to full barefoot when spring comes. Have done a 5 k in them yesterday below zero C. Any tips on not getting frostbite?

Run. Every day. Every other at a minimum. And RASP is alot more than a run, you should be able to run those 5 and then sling up a 70lb ruck and hit the 12 miler, with energy to spare.

Whatever training level you think you need, double it. A 100 pt 2 mile should be a fucking joke, I regularly brag I can get a 300 hung over while smoking. THATS the level you need.

Actual advice: 60:120s till you puke.
Incline runs, then walk back down the hill and Iron Mike up it.
Then find a flat spot and lunge for 100m with a 25-35lb kettle bell above your head, alternate arms every 30m down and back.
Relay and high knee drills, plus learn to forefoot run, this engages calves more and saves upper hams for heavy rucks to follow.
- Flutter Kicks - you should be able to do them forever... literally 100s. Start with hands under butt, then flat on ground, and finally up behind your head.
And distance, regular 5 mi, run with people better than you, to push yourself.

>no help with the ladies

idk wtf you're talking about, I find they're great for chasing women during the winter

Tell me you guys didn't fall for the running meme too.

>be me 1 year ago
>am 110kg and want to lose weight
>someone recommends running because cardio burns fat
>start running, legs are on fire the whole time but force myself to run at least a km each time
>do this for a month
>zero weight loss
>my knees are fucking killing me every time I walk
>go to doctor
>tells me all the cartilage on my knees is fucked and will be for life
>fast forward to now and I can't walk for more than 20min without having to stop from pain and am down to 105kg

Which ever one of you fucks said running was good can go take your own life, you've fucked me over till the end of my days.

>train 3 days a week, every day is squat day
I used to run before joining a gym but running on rest days killed my knees
Should I give up and go cycling or will good shoes really make a diference?

>being a bloatlet
>being barely able to walk
Yeah, it was totally running's fault, and not your dumb ass pushing through the pain with shit form. You are the definition of a GDE.

I hope that soon the stray dogs in the path I run will start recognizing me and stop barking already. Pretty comfy nevertheless, sheep shit smells excellent in the cold morning.

You gotta eat less calories than you expend, calories in < calories out. Running is a great way to burn the calories. As for your destroyed knees, you can only blame your fat ass. It's said everywhere, 'do not run if you are too fat'.

It sucks. Ice is worse than snow, but getting wet feet is no fun either.

I walk for my job like 7-8 hours every other day , feel like I've lost weight from that alone. I ran for like a mile the other day and I could feel my calfs/thighs stiffing up.. kinda cramping. I think I'm just gonna stick to running 1-2 times a week with the amount of volume I'm already walking so I don't fuck up my legs. Sore as fuck rn at work