/Lateral Raises/

How much weight do you guys use on your lateral raise?
Also how do you progress? Do you just add weight or you do dropsets?
Also what are some tips to perfect your form and reduce trap recruitment to a minimum?
And how many sets and reps do you use?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q5sNYB1Q6aM
youtu.be/q5sNYB1Q6aM
t-nation.com/training/tip-youre-doing-lateral-raises-wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=zsmeXwHu6W0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

25lbs, 3x10
just add weight when i can do them with reasonably good form

they're an accessory, i do them at the end of shoulder day

how does one not fuck up shoulders doing these'?

Currently on 20kg each side, although I had a major operation in the summer. I do 3x10 typically, but I wait untill I can do 3x20 typically before I add more weight, simply because I enjoy that exercise.

I always have extreme soreness/pain in the chest area that is highlighted in the pic after doing these.

Don't tip the dumbells forwards.

by going EZ on the weights the first times until you know your limit, duh.

good, now add them to your workout 3x week.

Only 5kg (each side) (not including the barbell)

Lateral Raises shred my shoulders up. I just grab some 10lbs and do 10x3 Then maybe a drop set from 20lbs 3 or 4 reps then back to 10 for 5 reps

>barbell

Because there is no rotation.
It's a straight contraction because your arms are extended straight out and you pull up the weight by squeezing, not swinging.

There are also machines for these. Pic related.

20 pounds, any more and my tennis elbow starts acting up.

Every time I do these my left shoulder clicks on each raise, doesn’t particularly hurt but what is this exactly?

I find my shoulders respond better to volume than weight, and when I use above a 20lb dumbbell my form starts to suffer.

So I usually use 15-20lb for 15 reps. The pump is insane

30lb, 7-10 reps. 4 sets

35 lbs, 3x10 strict form.

10-15lbs for 21's.
Seems to work pretty well, although it means /i have to keep the weight low.

I did actually dislocate my shoulder doing raises. It was a pathetic amount of weight too. I had surgery 6 months later.

Years later I'm using bands to work my shoulders. The linear constant force is safer to manage than freeweight that has to be balanced.

People with strong tight shoulders and no genetic predisposition to shoulder problems shouldn't have to worry though.

i got an injury on my upper from doing them (probably with bad form or maybe i was just doing too much pushing over pulling exercises), from october 2016 to march 2017

i'm as fi0t and joocy as I was before (or maybe even more) but now I'm pulling like a motherfucker (rows every workout + either weighted pullups or deadlifts) and I won't touch this exercise ever again

Shit user that must've sucked

on my upper back*

new fitness nightmare

Pathetic amount of weight as is 200lb dumbells

how does it happen and how do i avoid it?

dont do lateral raises

lat raises can suck my ding dong
about 20-25lbs, and not enough to brag about

45 lbs per hand 3x10

I raise them to horizontal level, hold for 1 second, control the descent, stop before arms would be hanging relaxed, repeat.
Doing this with as little as 15lbs for 10-12 reps per set, 4 sets. Gives a great burn.

Like I mentioned and as others said, it's the risk of letting the weight become unbalanced and rotating into poor form, rotating your shoulder out of socket. My solution is to use bands so I'm working with a linear force only, no rotation risk, no gravity force that might not be in line with proper form.

For me, I can't afford to let my shoulders become weak and loose or I'll have the same problem all over again. Of course there are other shoulder exercises but lateral and forward raises are very useful.

One major thing I should mention is that back strength has a lot to do with it. I actually got bad advise when I was young, told to exercise my pecs so my shoulders would be strong. That was wrong on so many levels. Overactive pecs combined with high rotation swimming and forward posture downhill skiing was a recipe for disaster. I should have, and now do, work out my back extensively so my shoulders are balanced front/back and stay in the cuff. I always alternate pec exercises with back exercises because doing too many of one or the other in a row will give me improper posture and put me at risk.

thanks user, good luck with your training.

maybe try fish oil idk

>20kg on each side
Damn
Post shoulders

>barbell

What an elaborate sales pitch you fucking homosexual. How about you go kill yourself now?

nice

>some tips to perfect your form and reduce trap recruitment to a minimum?
i heard trying to pretend you're reaching under a fence, now that i think about it im not sure that works, but made sense to me. depress your shoulder to minimize trap involvement but still lateral raise

I've always felt it better in my delts performing the exercise in a similar fashion to an upright row but to the side, as for progression try using magnetic micro plates

i like taking up a cable machine to do lateral raises while chest and tricep fags stand there all huffy

>He doesn't know about the barbell flies

youtube.com/watch?v=q5sNYB1Q6aM

protip:
do them KNEELING. that way you wont use any momentum from your lower body.

10-15 reps. never to higher than 90° because bad for shoulders. i also decrease weight with dropsets

I can never do this shit in the gym since my wingspan is too large.

Lean forward a bit and hold it like a cup of water. YouTube athlean X lateral raise.

Is it true that lat raises are the best exercise for shoulders?

for your lateral delts, absolutely

This is why I don’t dquat

8kg
3 sets of 20
Slow and controlled
Focus carefully on isolating delts / avoid using momentum
8kg is enough

Camera is fucked user, no can do, sorry. I don't think 20kg is that impressive really, I'm just getting started.

Externally rotate the shoulders and lean forward slightly.

youtu.be/q5sNYB1Q6aM

This is the only good video Jeff Cavalier has ever done and he fucks up the entire time by calling the lateral deltoid the "medial deltoid."
>by licensed physical therapist
>talk about imaginary muscle for 8 minutes
God I hate him. But at least that particular form advice is correct.

I grab light weight, like 15 lbs and just chase the pump. It's an accessory exercise so I don't really concern myself with progressing to much.

???

what would be wrong with working the back/rear delt too much? Rows, deadlifts, pullups, face pulls... it would only improve your posture and shoulder health

Yeah my camera gets broken all the time too. That being said, I remember those days to when I just started lifting, put on those 20kgs and barely did 2 reps with proper form. It's been a long way but now I do 30kg 3x12. So keep at it, I am sure you can recover and get to 30kg fast too. Then again I am not particularily regular on that excercise and forget it every now and then. Plenty of guys at my gym do 40kgs for reps.

somehow fucked a tendon up in my arm doing this meme lift and now i only press overhead to train shoulders

fucking retard lrn 2 engrish

am i retarded?
*starts googling 'barbell flies'*
*first suggestion is 'barbell flies Veeky Forums'*
fuckin /fit

Had that for a while, only on the right side.
Apparently it was because I had rolled over shoulders. Push them back more and you should be fine.

user, medial just means middle. He is saying middle deltoid.

I started these recently with 35lbs because less made me feel like a bitch... was painful and recovery was slow.. doing 25s now and not caring... still feel a burn. Stepping to 30s soon.

You should probably do farmers walks. Doesn't have to be super heavy, 50-75lbs per hand is fine. Farmers require the shoulder to stabilize the arms. This pumps blood into the shoulder without requiring a large ROM. A good way to prehab the shoulder despite seeming almost totally unrelated to the shoulder.

>he fucks up the entire time by calling the lateral deltoid the "medial deltoid."

Is there any alternatives to lateral raises?
My shoulder feel very off when doing them

Whatever weight you can do with PERFECT FORM.

I cannot stress PERFECT FORM enough.

This is a great exercise if you use PERFECT FORM.

Don't be like those skinnyfat retards bending their arms and swaying their bodies to move the weight.

oh thank fuck theres someone who does the exact same shit i do

Amen

> fucking Reddit
You need to leave
*shows you the door*

Drop sets 6x12 starting with 30s, then 25s and then 20s.12 reps of 30, then 25xf and 20xf.

>*shows you the door*
kys reddit trash

Wanna know how I know you're a useless virgin faggot with no social utility?

half of my normal weights trust me do half

Almost everybody does lateral raises wrong. I see people swinging the weight up to their sides. This is how you fuck up your shoulders.
You should be going all the way up until the dumbbells meet above your head. You will likely have to reduce the weight you're using. Make sure your traps stay taut so that your shoulder joint is not dangling precariously away from your body.

Src: 14 years of lifting, 10 years of highly competitive tennis. Bulletproof shoulders, never an injury.

>straight arms

Looks painful

You should always keep a slight bend in your elbows

t-nation.com/training/tip-youre-doing-lateral-raises-wrong

5 sets of 20 with around 12lbs cable lat raises has given me wild shoulder gains over a period of 3 months.

i can't do it outside with my wingspan either cos i start flying

>be doing band lat raises
>accidentally pull my foot up and hit my head with it
anyone else hate when this happens?

>being so alone that you samefag to your bait atempt(s)
oh god, this is the most pathetic thing I've witnessed

I fill the whistling kettle with water and do 20 reps/ 2 sets. works nicely for me.

and this one for my traps. i hate going to gym so i just improvise shit at home

Right I'm not gonna do lateral raises anymore

I regularly carry deep cycle marine batteries (50lbs or more) across fields or through forest for my job. Had no idea it was a recognized exercise.

15lbs. I started 5lbs. Shoulders are small muscles you must work your way up.

One of the only shoulder exercises where I can't feel shit

12kg 5xf every day
I can't be assed doing them at the gym, they're too boring. I got a pair of 12kg dumbbells at home so I do them and do house chores inbetween sets.

Drop the weight, you really don't want to swing the weight or egolift with lat raises.

See, now I've read a few times to only lift until you're parallel to the floor at 90 degrees, hold, then control it on the down.

???? Down to do the way you're saying but why is there so much fucking variation

wrong my friend. you want to go lower as going higher does nothing really. first 20-30 degrees works your supraspinatus which is the most important for not fucking your rotator cuff up

youtube.com/watch?v=zsmeXwHu6W0

this help me. mot clicking anymore.

i cant do lateral raises. it just dont feel right.

no problem doing Side Raises though.

>lateral
>of, at, toward, or from the side or sides

sit down while doing them

LOW weight, low enough to make you feel like a soccer mom

lean forward if you want to focus on rear delt