/RUN/: Cardio boys unite

Running general thread.
How do hot climate Veeky Forumsizens run during summer? I want to run right now but it's almost 30C in Brissie with humidity to match.

Other urls found in this thread:

fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans
youtube.com/watch?v=wRkeBVMQSgg&t=4s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I found that just running in the heat until I got used to it worked for me. The first couple runs were shitty though. On the other hand, I ran in -30C today and almost froze my dick off. need some thicker undies.

winter where im at
visiting for the holidays
>treadmill in haus
fucking off my family and running at 8-12mi increments twice daily

I can generally handle the heat, it just ruins my performance

I should rephrase that, i don't have any real problems from the heat, it's just uncomfortable as fuck.

but you lose all that water weight

Im 71 damn kilos, I dont want to lose any weight

In the summer you need to run when suns not fully out. Latest to start should be 6:30 am. Or run at night.

Ye just start running really early, pretty simple, too complex for you.

The lighter you are the better you perform.

I avoid running midday in the summer. It's the winter that fucks me up the most though.

How cold is too cold for you guys to run? It's around 10 degrees right now, is that too cold?

I've seen guys jogging down the side of the road in shorts in freezing rain. I don't run outside went it drops below 50. Just murders my nose and throat.

What's a good time to complete a 5k in?

Can do 5k in 30 mins, 20 years old.

Define good. For beginners, I'd say, 25 min.

I have no idea what good is here.

Today I ran a 10K in 58:48 all by myself, which is the third time in my life I've run further than 8k, and the first run in like 3 months
Is

Goin for navy aus friends any advice to get nonshit cardio?

Sure.

Cool. Thinking of running like 4 times a week, one long, two medium length around 5k, one interval/sprint session. Is that good for cardio gainz?

I suggest you follow a training plan if your goal is speed.
fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

Any guide to a good running position? How do I approach hills up and down?

how do i start running? my legs explode every time. I do a boxing class twice a week so i'm getting plenty of cardio and I'm about 20 lbs overweight at least, but nothing hindering me from doing the thing other than the fact that my bones hurt when i run
am i doing it wrong?

Your bones shouldn't hurt. Some pain in the shins is normal at first but it should go away after a week or so. Start slow and pay attention to your form. Record yourself running if you can so you can see if you're fucking it up.

Sweet, thank you!

>How do hot climate Veeky Forumsizens run during summer

Israel here. Hydrate like a maniac and only run before sunrise (5-6am here) or after sundown (18-19pm or later).
Also it's consistently hot during summer here, you adapt to the weather better when it's consistent, so maybe wait until what is suppose is a heat wave to pass?

Start slow. You have to build the muscles you use only when you run

Im 220 lbs and 6'2 ive started running a couple of weeks ago and my main goal is run 2 miles in atleast 12 mins and to run 5 miles in 35 mins. As of right now my short term goal is to run 2 miles without stopping. Can anyone give me some tips or links to actually good tunnimg plans. Also, i know running long distances is harf, but will runninv 2 or 5 miles get easier as i keep running?

I do rowing on the machine

literally bore myself to death running

>freezing
>rain

>6'2 220
Even if your cardio endurance is up to it, don't push too hard too fast or you'll end up with shin splints or some shit. Worry about time after you get comfortable with the distance

My goal is to run a 6 minute mile on a %15 grade. I can do spurts of about .1-.2 miles at this rate now. How often can I train fast uphill sprinting without dying?

So i should just run smaller distances and work my way up, and not focus on time? And losing lbs. will help too right?

This.
Worst i've had was running in 1-2C° with pouring rain. It was 7-8 km run, so ~40 mins. It was fine. I enjoyed a hot shower afterwards tho (usually i shower with cold water).

5k over 30min, do you even run or stop eating?
5k under 30min, you are slightly overweight but can do sports
5k under 25min, yea you seem to run and you are not overweight.
5k under 20min I d consider experienced runner
5k under 17 30 min highly trained runner
5k under 16 min serious competition runner
5k under 14 min Olympia

I hate treadmills with a passion. I love to go running in the winter, in snow, in the rain, just don't make me get on a treadmill

any tips for getting to a 6 min mile?
at the moment Im at 6:15 all out and 6:30 with some effort but still breathing pretty steadly.

I do 3-4 runs a week, 1 being my sprint mile test then a mile back
2nd and 3rd run being a 3 & 4 mile fartlek

4th is running along shingle on the beach 2-4 miles, sometimes weighted(when weighted I walk to the beach)

I'm not an expert but in my experience, better to build up to your desired distance at a slow pace then work your time down after. (eg work on getting to 5 miles at whatever pace you can before getting after that 6 minute mile.)
Losing lbs will help also yeah.

Yep. I was exactly where you are not a month or two ago. Depending on how much of that weight is muscle, and I trust you can judge accordingly, running at least one mile should be easiest for you when you're at about 200 or lower. Just do some HIIT every now and again. Make sure you're taking care of your heart (fish oil). Make sure you're breathing normally and not too heavily, breathing right is key. And don't forget to switch up what part of the foot you land on if shit starts to get uncomfortable or you start to think you might get a little pain in your joints or something. Stretching is mandatory no matter what. Just keep running. FIND THE RIGHT SPEED and work your way up. Rom wasn't built in a day. Being able to run that fucking fast for as long as needed isn't easy.

But if you're doing it for the military bro, (and I can wager you are because that's a very specific goal even I am very aware of) then do consider that once you get to a mile without stopping, you can count on adrenaline and your drive for success to push yourself that distance in that amount of time. You gotta believe in yourself. No homo.

Is running a good way to cut fat and muscle simultaneously?

I have some nasty calves that make it really hard to have feminine looking legs

Thanks man :)

Beginner here, I just did my first 10k and my nipples bled a little. What the fuck?
Also, suggestion for good nike running shoes? It has to be nike because my friend works there so he might be able to buy the shoe for me at a slight discount.

yea, lose weight and make long runs with pulse of aprox 150 beats per minute. Then two times a week do intervall training, dont hurt yourself, this are is my best advice I can give.

No problemo chief :)
And don't forget to stay hydrated. Also, don't skip leg day; if you have decent calf muscle then you can bounce back on landing on the balls of your feet and channeling the shock into your calves instead of landing on your heels and absorbing to much fatty, unbalanced shock into your knees. Then you can run with shin splints and throw caution to the window. And it might sound like I'm fucking with you here, but I'm honestly not. Just give it a try first, take it steady, and judge for yourself.
youtube.com/watch?v=wRkeBVMQSgg&t=4s

Any faster alternatives to c25k? Like a 5 week program instead of 10 weeks?

Just run a little farther each time?
Depending on how heavy you are you might not even need a plan.
If youre slightly overweight, run 2k every other day on the first week, 3k the next week etc.
If youre really overweight, start walking first.

I only need a routine because if I go at it too fast I'll fuck up my ankles again

The 10 week program is incredibly boring though

newbie question but what is considered a long run? it's normally what I get told to do, but I havent been told a distance

I imagine 10k+ as a long run

Is it a bad idea to start running without following a plan. I'm pretty fit I could probably run 5k tomorrow, but is it a good idea? or should I stick to a plan?

>How to get glass into your feet

I've started running after a long hiatus about 2 months ago. After runs or the day after I get pain on the marked area on the photo.
Is it just doms or could it be another thing?

If youre fit 5k is nothing. Just jog for 30 mins and youre done. Make sure you have a good running shoe though.

Have you exhausted every possible cause? Maybe you sit on it wrong throughout the day or something, or lean it against something. If the pain is persistent after some time of rest try a supplement. If after eating better and a supplement doesn't work and the pain still persists, and only if after you've tried running on it (otherwise, if it just hurts from inactivity) go see a doctor. Have you tried stretching and massaging it? What are the circumstances and occurrence behind the pain?

I have plantar fasciitis.

How do I go about running with this? I did foam roll my calves and it seem to connect to pain at my heel

posterior shin splints

It started when I started running, so it must be related to that..

How to fix? I'm reading you need to stop running? :-(

It happened more in the beginning, nowadays it's lighter or non-existent. Was it just the initial stress?

run in the mornings
>wake up an hour before you usually do
>go for a run
>come back
>shower
>eat
>go on with your day knowing that you've already done something good for your body
I go to uni by the seaside and can't wait untill it will be warm enough to go for a fasted morning run, I rarely ever go running but I think the sea will make me more willing to do some extra cardio, it'll also help me when I start cutting

Run late at night or at 7am

What do you lot like to listen to when you run? For my boxing day run I have some Northline qued up, very exited for it

Whenever I run I get a soreness in the front of my ankle. I feel like this might be a form/footwear thing. Anyone have similar experience?

Hey run bros. Former 360lb fatty here.

I'm a pleb treadmill runner.

I keep pushing myself to run faster each week. Currently pushing 8.7mph for 20minutes with the last 5 minutes being 9mph, then a 1minute sprint of 11-12mph.

How dumb am I, and how long can I keep this up?

I already feel some shin splint coming on.

Merry Christmas

Depends on your level/distance you're training for. Typically low to medium effort, at least an hour long to get you into fat burning mode.

What's the goal here? I would suggest going for longer rather than harder. Try getting up to an hour at constant effort. If you have hr try keeping it below 140