Hey Veeky Forums, today I failed a 3rep max attempt at the gym. I didn't lift it up 2 times, or 1 time...

Hey Veeky Forums, today I failed a 3rep max attempt at the gym. I didn't lift it up 2 times, or 1 time, I simply could not lift the barbell from teh floor(deadlift). I attempted 435x3 and failed miserably. However, last week i hit 415x4. here is the video: youtube.com/watch?v=lTDN-7bGYIM . I expected to Hit 435 at the very least 2 times. However I did have very little sleep and went to lift only 30 minutes after I ate in the morning (so basicly like with an empty stomach). So Im pretty shure I would of been able to hit it if i had slept more and eaten correctly. How long should I wait for a next attempt, Im thinking of 2 days from now, Is that enough for My CNS and muscles to be fresh?

OP here, I wanted to add that after failing 3 times at my attemps i stoped my workout since I didnt want my muscled to be sore for 3-4 days and not be able to retry as soon as possible. However trying to max out still has a bit of strain on your muscles, and I can feel it right now that I will be a bit sore tomorow, should I foam roll as much as possible in order to maximixe my recovery?

> Be on Veeky Forums
> See some guy post who actually lifts weights
> wtf am I seeing?

Is there a specific reason you're maxing out?

Because if not, don't.

Ive been on a training cycle for almost 4 months now( you can see the other videos on my channel) and im closing in to a 1rm. Also I use a powerlifting method of training since I would like to eventually compete.

TLDR: Powerlifter and linear periodisation makes me max out at end of trainign cycle

So what point of the program are you in and what type of program is it (hypertrophy, strength, peak)? Diet on bulk mode, maintenance, or cut? Years lifting? Current 1 rep max? How long have you been doing current program? How many years lifting?

Ok. That's fair enough.

Personally i'd write off the 3RM attempt and not pull heavy again until your next scheduled heavy pull (there's two reasons to go super heavy - to see where you're at and to learn to strain against heavy weights. If you fought for it and failed, you've done both. No need to rack up even more fatigue near the end of the cycle). If you can get in before then and do your accessory work, do that.

The big lesson here is that when you get into the tail end of a linear cycle (or any peaking phase, really) you've got to be on top of your recovery. Especially with the deadlift.

Missed the first and last rep in the video. First because you didn’t extend your hips fully, last because you dropped the bar. Your form looked like it might have been shit, too, but you took the video from one of the worst possible angles, so I don’t know for sure.

Also, I don’t know why you think you can make a 20 lb PR after a week when lifting at around 3x body weight.

Again with this? What new advice do you think you'll get this time?

No Idea what my current 1rm is, the set i sent is what ive done most recently. I am doing a powerlifting program provided by my coach(pete rubish) with a bit of accesories for aesthetics. ive been lifting seriously for 2 years now and on and off for like 2 before that. I eat pretty clean when it comes to meals but i eat what I want for desert after those meals since I dont gain fat very easily. Ive been working with pete since september i beleive.

Thanks for the answer, very helpfull, I really appreciate it buddy.

Wow, those deadlifts look sharp! Good work bud.
I mean, if you took an extra day off, then came back very well rested and glycogened up to the hilt, I'm pretty sure you'd get the 435 up no problem.

But be careful. I herniated a disc because of impatience. Deadlifted with poor form, it was inevitable.

1st off, what you said about the lockout is totally false, If im able to release the vasalva maneuver its and take deep breaths in its because im basicly holding the beight in my hands and I could hold it there for a solid 20 seconds.
Secondly, I drop the bar because as you can see, im lifting on indoor grass mats with bumper plates, so shut the fuck up. Also I'd like to add that I poped a vain in my nose, because i dont do pussy weight you negative fuck, and did not want to dirty my shirt of the equipment for others.
And finally, I've been lifting consistently heavier every single time i go to the gym for 4 months straight now(with this time being the exeption) and if you had only looked at the video titles you would have known. Also i deadlifted 415x4 and a week prior to that i did 395x5, so im sorry you don't have the work ethic or the MINDSET to work your butt off.
Stop being negative you jealous fagot

Oh god, you're on Pete's program? Didn't he get a real coach only like last year? Are you also on the welches? He is a freak!
Like stated before, dont get hung up on a failed day (that's why you're lifting in the first place, to fail). Note that strength doesn't come from trying to peak these 3 rep maxes week after week after week. There's a reason why power lifters cycle low weight high reps, med weight med reps, high weight low reps.
This first program attempt will set you up with percentages for the next program, so that's good. I recommend looking at hypertrophy programs after this.

First time posting about this.

Doesn't sound like you're very experienced with max testing.

Just because the calculator says you can do it doesn't mean you can, especially if you've never done it before. A true or true-ish max requires a bit of tapering if you've never done it before because your nervous system simply isn't used to working at full intensity.

Go back to 415 or whatever you can do for 5. Do that for 5. The next week, add 5 lubbz and do the same thing for two triples. The next week, add another 5 and do the same. The week after that, add another 5-10, do three doubles. Then another 5, do two. Then another 5, do one. Week after, add 10 and do five singles, then add five and do three, then finally add another 5/10 and go for a max attempt.

t. Jealous dyel, at best half as strong as op

Thanks for the answer!
Thanks for the kind words man. Yeah im planning to check my eating and try to eat as much carbs as possible to be as full as possible on the retry day. If youre interested on the outcome, it will be on my channel on thursday night.

Yeah, its been new territory ever since 355. Ive Hit that as a 1rm back in september and only like a month and a half ago ive been going over my last 1rm and hitting it for reps (like when i went for 380x7 and was really nervous since ive never hit that before and actually had to get at least 5 or 6)

Cool, subscribed

I dont know what the weltches is.

If he's following the standard sort of linear program, that triple should have been part of the tapering.

He just fucked it up by trying to hit a near-max deadlift triple on no sleep, no food and no recovery.

Is retrying it In a few days is what you would do?

You will one day. In the meantime, keep pumping iron.
Unless you're OP, then welches is juice ;)

Yeah im op, never heard it called like that before, huh, and no Im natty.

Nah. If you're tapering into a true max, you're into the point where the whole deal is setting yourself up to display strength rather than building it. Work's been done and now its a matter of (re)learning to max and getting rid of fatigue so you're set to hit the biggest number on test day. Throwing in an extra attempt at a max triple isn't going to make you stronger but the worst case scenario is it starts a cascade going - you're more fatigued from that, so your next heavy deadlift session suffers and round and round we go.

Okay, Ill keep that in mind, I think Ill sleep on it tonight. thanks for the answers guys. I wish you all merry christmas and a happy new years. You might not have your family but you'll always have fit!

S-sir?

Good shit m8

Deadlifts are a meme. They are not a "work out" you all are going to destroy your joints/back doing this shit. Stop now and focus on isolation lifts if you are not trying to become a powerlifter and just want to look good.