If i can benchpress 120kg 5x5, can i do 140 1x1?

If i can benchpress 120kg 5x5, can i do 140 1x1?

Other urls found in this thread:

allthingsgym.com/rep-max-calculator/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Maybe

no

if you condition yourself for it, then yes.

Probably quite easily.

If you can do a 5x5, it might be safe to say you could of done 8 on your 1st set, so

120(1+8/30) = 152kg 1 RM

>it might be safe to say

Nah

No

Yes.
If you bench press 120kg 5x5 to calculate a 1rm a good estimate is to say you can do 7 reps with 120kg.
So:
(256lbs*7*0.034)+265 = 328lbs or 149kg.

If you've never done singles, likely you can't.

Why not? 1RM equations aren't always accurate, but there needs to be about a 10% error for him to fail 140kg

i have, i tried 130 earlier this week and it wasnt bad at all. Stalled during the middle, elsewise it was quite easy

big difference between attempting 5 reps and 1 rep

intensity is tenfold hard which means your technique needs to be almost perfect and breakdown of form usually happens a little

big difference, he probably could, but wont know until an actual attempt

So i should believe you, the intuition of a random person on a basket weaving, train spotting etc site, over formulas made by coaches of 100s of thousands of observations?

Why don't you try picking on a program and see how that works out for you? Or you could start bulgarian with maybe 130-135kg and go from there.

The calculators are only generalised projections not an individual basis

I never said 'for certain' anywhere in my post. You are sort of saying 'can't ever use statistics for anything, it never says anything about an individual case'. Yes that's a limitation, but a lot of things are about making educated guesses anyway

all im looking for i some goddamn support in this depressing piece of shit world. will try tommorow and let ya'll know.

aight don't die

maybe

there's a good chance you can. punch your numbers into a 1rm calculator to get an idea. allthingsgym.com/rep-max-calculator/
good luck on the attempt!

Probably I'd say. But I rarely do 1 rep maxes so I wouldn't know. Either way don't try it without a spotter and don't strain yourself.

Its best to work up in small increments (5-10 lbs) for that specific reason. If you go full retard by working out 5x5 all the time then strain yourself going 40+ lbs heavier without being warmed up, forgetting form, etc, it'll be bad. My brother tore a pec that way.

I've never been able to do 120kg 5x5, my best was always 6,4,2,1, a single burnout set of 7 or a 3x3.
I've done 140kg for a double on several occasion, did one triple with a shaky last rep and my 1RM is currently 150kg (done on three diffrents days, each at least 4 months apart).

So why not try and find out?

make sure to have a spotter

back when I had 100 kg as 1 RM I sometimes failed, and when I did, I either
>fucked up my phone by rolling over it (thank god for insurance)
>got big red marks on my stomach that hurt for a few days

>ut I rarely do 1 rep maxes so I wouldn't know. Either way don't try it without a spotter and don't strain yourself.
>Its best to work up in small increments (5-10 lbs) for that specific reason

And I wondered why the fuck less than 40 people on the Veeky Forums census reported as stronger than me, even though at least 10 of the top answers were jokes (min-max everything with stupid comments) and ~150 claim to be on roids.

If this is the kind of mentality that's prevalent on Veeky Forums today, I don't blame SIR for not doing the NYR comic anymore, I'd have given up on you people too.

Ok m8
>Guy asks if he can do a 1 rep max
>Say I usually don't do them myself
>Tell him to be careful since obviously he doesn't either.
>General advice since he's vague: go up slowly so that you know what you're getting into rather than increasing all at once.

I'd rather get stronger slower without any injuries than quickly with any risk. I'm a musician and I literally cannot afford to hurt my shoulders, arms, or hands otherwise I might not be able to play again.

I'm content. But if you want to autistically reach for the stars go ahead. Its admirable, I just don't think its practical or desirable for everyone.

You could make that. with 120 5x5 you should at LEAST definitely be able to get 135 for 1

>hehe just throw 150kg on the bar lmao
>max out erry day ahaha
>yolo, am i rite Veeky Forumsizens? xd...guys...no?....yo, fuck you

120 kg for 5 is good but it is not equivalent to 140. The higher you go in weight the harder it should be to reach a new max.

plus, as you know, anytime you handle a new 1 rep max it feels harder than it should be (fear? stress on joints?)

fellow musicfag here, guitarfag specifically.
Have you found that lifting hampers your technique if you play the next day/the same week you were lifting? I manage to do fine until I go into techniques like tremolo picking or very quick alternate picking, then my arms just lock up and I suck.
If have to play live I'll stop lifting for a week beforehand. Have you found a workaround for this?

Yes. I usually lift more than what the calculater calculates. If you can do 5 reps consecutively for 5 sets then definitely. You actually might be underachieving.

>5x5x265lb
>1x308lb

Probably. Just guesstimating from experience your 5RM for one set is probably like 286/130kg. I'd recommend taking triples up to there then just going for it. Godspeed.

t. bench 355/161kg

>>hehe just throw 150kg on the bar lmao
That's literally what I did when I reached 120kg x6.
And I managed to press 140kg, 145kg and my ass shot up on 150kg.

>But if you want to autistically reach for the stars go ahead. Its admirable, I just don't think its practical or desirable for everyone.
Yeah, but it's fun. I've never managed to hurt myself while going full retard on anything. The two injuries I had were from 1. a fucking 20kg db incline press for a set of 8 (torn my shoulder while putting the weight down) 2. getting drunk after my first son was born and stepping in a hole at night.

why would you?
1rm dont really mean anything
1 set of 3-5 reps is where it's at

>why would you?
because it's fun
>1rm dont really mean anything
neither does anything else
>1 set of 3-5 reps is where it's at
nobody gives a shit about your 3-5 reps and neither triples nor sets of five will actually make you look better.