What's the biggest fitness related mistake you've made?

What's the biggest fitness related mistake you've made?

SS

Doing dumbbell shoulder presses with my elbows out.

not realizing that eating clean and cardio can make you gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, basically falling for the bulking and cutting meme

going to Veeky Forums and developing height insecurity to the point where I considered doing that leg breaking surgery even though im 6'0

taking creatine

not having any focus and not doing fb and doing laundry list splits. i could have been so much stronger if i had more focus earlier.

Yes, albeit at an extremely, extremely slower pace. Youre essentially just wasting your time.

Hey, glad to hear you didnt go through with it. Don't listen to these midget cucks, 6'0 is fine and you're more than likely taller then 99% of Veeky Forums

Not understanding that to gain a lot of muscle, you will inevitably gain a little fat. Used to get so self conscious and cut back on calories whenever I started losing my six pack, then wonder why I wasn't getting stronger. Lost about 3 years of potential gains to this shit.

What do you mean elbows out?

I know im not short, but now I constantly notice taller men and it makes me feel emasculated. it just feels so frustrating that I cant do anything about it

not being consistent in my diet/training

not starting sooner, Im 23 only been lifting for a few months but seeing huge gains bc im a lifetimes skelly

if i had cared earlier i would have been huge by now

Drank Whey with milk

Texting her.

browsing Veeky Forums

not lifting enough while cutting and losing massive amounts of muscle mass.

and I did it TWICE.

Beat me to it

what's the problem with that?

>now I constantly notice taller men
Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon

not getting enough protein. fit always says 1g per lb of bodyweight which is too much but i thought i was fine at around 60g of protein. im 175lbs and every since bumping up to around 130g a day ive noticed much better gains and recovery.

also doing SS without accessory lifts. Gotta throw in ur dumbbell bench, lat delt raises, pullups and curls at the end. helped me not stall on low bench/ohp numbers.

Lifting heavy at all. Turns out it was causing my acne; the correlation is unmistakable. Now I have to let my body waste away; more important not to be the kid with acne at the office.

lol

I've gotten much better about wiping shit down before i use it now, i'm pretty sure like half of the times I've been sick is because of gym germs

How did it make your acne worse?

5/3/1

trying to lose weight too fast and ending up just fucking my fat loss hard for about 2 years while insisting I knew what i was doing.

Also assuming I could lose 1.5lbs per week safely without fucking over my body when I was only 18% bf.

Or, you know, did you wash your face or take a bath after you finished at the gym?

This is unlikely, far more probable that it's related to your hygiene while you lift, such as
>sweat more, body makes more sebum
>since you probably already have poor hygiene, acne increases
>you blame lifting, when you need to learn basic hygiene instead

Following bodybuilder routines like arnold programs as a newbie. You're gonna make 0 strength gains doing high rep compound exercises and you're gonna snap your shit up with all the volume.

I was and still am a fat fuck who tried to compensate being shit at cardio with being a strong man. Gonna start not being a fatass today.

Not him but not everyone gets acne because of bad hygiene

That is quite literally the cause of acne, excess sebum causing a bacterial infection due to a clogged pore. Unless you're talking about cystic acne, that is

No there's acne, cystic acne and then just zits because of poor hygiene.

I washed my very shortly after working out. Also, I do cardio mainly now. Acne is gone, but sweat roughly at same level and with same delay before washing.

Going to crossfit

focusing on weight rather than proper technique

Eating like a whale cuz "gotta eat big to get big" and i ended up gaining a lot of fat

not eating enough protein. spun my wheelz for a while. 2nd biggest was le powerlifter meme. i'm doing 20 sets of curls a week (plus back exercises) to catch up

why not

t. 5'11" dwarfling

Listening to Veeky Forums

listening to the powerfatty at my gym when is started out 17 months ago.
>"just dirty bulk bro!! trust me man!!"
>me "o-okay.."
i was skinnyfat leaning towards fat.
i took his advice and bulked when i should defo had cutted. took me 8 months to get all the fat away on a big deficit.

4-6 rep range as a beginner. I've been doing that since I started. It was fine at first because I started with light weight, but now that I've progressed up to my actual ~80% max, I'm having trouble handling the weight. I mean, I can lift it for 4-6 reps, but my form is awful.

At least I think this is mostly due to the rep range. I made the decision to start working in the 6-8 rep range until I improve my form just today, so I'm not sure if it will be a good decision. Does my thought process make sense to you guys?

wow I just rtealized this is why I always get sick a week after I start back from a break

Not getting enough protein; equivalently, "lmao protein powder is a meme." If you don't get enough protein regularly in your diet, then it's a good sub, particularly right after workouts.

Whey is the healthy part of milk so drinking it with milk helps nothing

All my friends are taller than me but I’m taller than all females so it’s a win-loss situation. Don’t worry about it, females fall for the “6’ or greater is hot” meme

>t. Fellow 6’er

Losing 85 lbs without lifting heavy. Part of the process, at least stopped being fat with no muscle.

probably have rosacea. it looks like acne (but is not) and is exacerbated by anything hot--like showers, weather, embarrassment, exercise, central air, etc.

Not starting early enough.

Once i started losing my hair i said fuck this shit. Fell for it before I got on Veeky Forums though.

I know everyone hates on 5 3 1, bit that was it. They call it intermediate but it's late intermediate at best. Raising your /PR once a month had me waste like 6 months i could've been getting great gains.

Switched to Texas method and all my lifts went up by about 30 lbs in a few weeks. Daily linear had stalled for a long time but for some reason everyone said to go 5 3 1 as an inter program, which was a terrible plan.

Not understanding the importance of cardio to look good as a natty.

trying to outlift a bad diet :/

Check'd tho

Not checking my form, I've had to go down in weight a couple times because my form was shit. On the bright side my lifts are heavier than they've ever been and I'm doing them with proper form now

No, you have to challenge yourself at higher weight w/ lower reps think 1-3 reps. If strength is goal I'd say that rep range is good if beginner/intermediate

Doing shoulder presses like this will fuck you up

IIFYM and not caring for the weight on the scaled because I'm "bulking" just mostly led me to get fatter whilst gaining a normal amount of muscle.

Also 4500 calories a day is WAY too much no matter how much you exercise.

How do I do them then,sources?

Elbows in.

so many things:
* Too much whey protein, actually got gout. eat clean, fitizens
* not telling trainer immediately when something feels off
* Focused too much on excelling at one sport, got out of balance / pain. Being great at one sport doesn't necessarily correlate with being fit

Doing too much volume
Not doing enough volume
Bouncing off my chest when benching
Not focusing enough on my form when benching
Not deadlifting enough

>* Too much whey protein, actually got gout. eat clean, fitizens
Wait what?

I actually recently started doing my shoulder press like this as opposed to the more common method.

It feels like it hits my shoulder way harder and all areas of the delt, much more satisfying. It seems to require more overall strength and stability in general, any thoughts on the two different ways of performing the movement ?

I started doing it that way after I was told elbows out isn't good for your shoulders. I find it much more effective as well desu.

I never do this but always wash your hands after the gym. Forgetting to and eating has got me sick a couple times

I think the fact that you didn't wash your fucking hands before eating had nothing to do with going to the gym, you nasty piece of shit.

Are you actually retarted? Of course you feel it more in your shoulder because you use less of the shoulder muscles to actually push the weight you retarted fuck.

doing a brosplit instead of SS for my first year. Though, Rippetoe was completely wrong about Texas Method, don't do it.

i fell for the "it's okay to spill your seed for any reason other than procreation" meme.
it's like the past five years have been a waste

SS is a meme.
PPL is the way to go.

I ate an onion plain.

Not fixing my diet.

being born a manlet

Visiting Veeky Forums

falling for strenght before aesthetics meme when in fact it should be aesthetics before strenght

You feel it more in the shoulder because you use less of the shoulder ? Care to explain ?

Not being disciplined enough with my diet

Not enough protein, too much focus on calories only.

My mistake was the first time I ever came to Veeky Forums,

>Hmm, maybe I should check Veeky Forums out.

I counted the bar.

Not him but i think he means that you don’t use the shoulder muscles as a whole.

Thinking that getting fit will get me a gf

not starting 9 years ago, when i was 16

Bulking when skinnyfat

>squat 1 lmaopl8 without properly placing feet
>knees hurt the next day
When will i ever not have a problem with squats?

thinking I was skinnyfat when I was really just skinny, so I cut when I was dyel and gained almost no muscle

I know that feel, except for me it’s the shoulder.

lol skinnyfat doesn't literally mean fat you idiot.

It means you have no muscle.

>cutting when you're 60kg

>tfw doing the exact opposite
>tfw got to 65kg in one week
>bulking on healthy shit
I went to the gym from 15 to 18 and now I'm coming back on 23, feels good, I needed it.

Staying natural

>lol skinnyfat doesn't literally mean fat you idiot
skinnyfat means means just what it sounds like: it describes people who appear skinny but are actually high bf%. so yes, they are fat you idiot.

s-source?

wow what a faggot

>stop listening to Veeky Forums
>do my own research
>make better gains
>listen to Veeky Forums even less
>do more research
>make EVEN BETTER gains

Always ask people why they are in any way qualified to give advice, people often give advice with confidence when they have no idea what they are talking about so they can get the "kudos" for giving it, they don't actually give a shit if they are right

not eating enough