Martial arts

Can you guys recommend me a martial art where the instructors actually teach you sparring instead of repeating drills for 9 months straight?

Muay thai, kickboxing, boxing, judo, bjj, sambo, or wrestling.

This is the only answer. You can delete the thread now

Muay Thai will be your bet bet.
In an actual fight, its recommended to be the most effective as well.

if you want hard sparring regularly i would say bjj or judo or wrestling. As far as i know you go full on sparing less in striking because it takes longer to recover from the session than grappling.

Start with mauy thai

Sparring isn't taught. It's executing those drills you've repeated for 9 months in a controlled fight. It's good for developing things such as timing and distancing, but your technique will remain shit if all you want to do is spar.

Drills > Sparring though

Is height a factor for martial arts?
>t. 5'6 turbo manlet

If you actually want to know how to fight, choose a combination of these:

Grappling: Sambo, Judo, BJJ, Wrestling

Striking: Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Kyokushin Karate

Everything else is either mostly or entirely garbage. Don't fall for the Kung Fu traditional martial arts meme. I'm going to assume that you don't want your brain cells getting punched out yet so I recommend you start with a grappling art. Judo, BJJ, or Wrestling will be your best bet if you're just starting out. Mix and match as needed.

I think he just means that he wants a martial art that actually spars instead of going through endless katas and whatnot.

In that case they all spar, just depends on the school. Pretty much every school will let you sit in on classes to see how they're run. Like everyone who makes these type of threads, though, he's probably not going to do shit.

yea, the smaller you are the better (have you ever tried finding instructions on 'how to fight someone shortter'?)

Yes. You're going to have an advantage (generally) in takedowns, takedown defense, and defense against certain submissions. Striking is going to be harder for you unless your arms are freakishly long. Also, you're more vulnerable to certain submissions, and it's harder for you to hit certain submissions. Generally, your game is going to be different.

Use your manlet size to your advantage by getting behind your opponents and diving straight into their anus, you're small so you'll fit, then beat them up from the inside out

I took a little aikido when I was a kid and the smaller kids generally always beat the bigger kids. Manlets like us would be at a disadvantage in striking I'd assume

Can be a weakness in striking but can be overcome if youre a good in-fighter.

It can be an advantage in grappling if your stocky and heavy. Makes your pins hard as hell to get out of.

>aikido

Ok buddy. Let's not get too egregious here.

>aikido
>competing

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

is taekwondo overrated?

Some gyms will have sparring but you won't learn a lot of useful stuff.

That would imply that it's held in high regard in the first place. Who but soccer mom's who want to dump their kids for an hour to get railed by Tyrone even considers that shit?

Let me just go ahead and cut though any BS. I've been doing Martial arts for over 10 years (I'm 30)
and I can tell you whats what.
I started in kyokushin then moved to Enshin Karate thats full contact. Full contact Karate has no punches to the face but you can still knee and kick to the face, low kicks are also allowed and deliver the most K.O's in competition, in Enshin you also learn a lot of judo throws so I would consider it the most balanced, the sparring starts as early as white belt and both emphasize mental fortitude expect being pushed to your limit in almost every class.

Boxing is actually pretty slow to get going its also usually the cheapest option. Early on it will be almost all fitness with lots of running hitting bags and pads as well as skipping rope. Boxing is such a demanding sport as far as cardio goes that the biggest hurdle you gotta climb is just getting in the shape to do it and for that reason a lot of people drop out of it or lose interest before they ever even get to spar. The particular gym I went to lets people spar after about 4 months. The only negatives I could see is they teach you a lot of weaves that put your head in perfect knee range from an experienced kickboxer also the stances tend to be wide and a bit bladed again leaving you vulnerable to lots of low kicks.

Muay Thai is the perfect balance lots of cardio but also lots of sparring. some schools will teach with a lot of boxing while others will stick to more traditional thai techniques, either way its the most pliable.

I do boxing because of time and i alreadybsparred in my first day against the instructor

But I'd do muay thai because of kicking

/thread

Boxing and Muay Thai are best for fights

Karate for the win. But please find a real karate master from Okinawa.

literally every martial art does sparring day 1

try going to one

karate, judo or tae kwon do are obviously the only ones worth it because they are from proper countries and not third world shit holes

Fellow 5'6" turbo manlet here, the fact that our arms are shorter is a disadvantage in the striking arts. However, you can work around this. Theres tons of guides on the internet for facing taller opponents, they provide a good summary of what you need to do.

DJ is the Goat and hes 5'3

I currently do Judo, considering starting Muay Thai so that I'm doing pretty much every aspect of fighting.

What's the risk of brain damage in reality? Can I just go to practice and not get into striking the head?

Fpbp

dont look at contact sports from shit countries that don't understand honour and respect, you'd probably be better off just learning to punch someone in the back of the head

Stupid reply

If its a proper gym, it is very low. Learn proper defense and spar smart and you wont get knocked out at all.

spotted the weeb

Kickboxing and jiu jitsu are objectively the only answers to "Which martial art.."

Unless the question is "Which martial art is best for getting your ass kicked by someone who trains jiu jitsu or kickboxing?" In which case, the answer is, any others.

Yes. They teach you to drop guard on every punch and bring your defending arm down to your waist, then lead with kicks, and follow through with more kicks, like after the first one you aren't just handing them your foot.