BRAZILIAN JIU JISTU

hi Veeky Forums

repill me on BJJ

I'm taking a beginner's class on it at my college gym in 2018

I wrestled in high school, but I was pretty talented and wrestled for about 10 years. (state champion heavyweight) however, I haven't wrestled since high school (22 now)

I mainly just lift and do vinyasa yoga

with that said what can I expect and will I be primed to one day do MMA?

>Will I be primed to one day do MMA.
Competitively, probably not, unless you're still very young and prepared to devote your life to the sport, but in terms of reliable self defense, you're well primed to be a regular badass. Godspeed OP.

I mean I'm only 22. that's like young isn't it? when I watch ufc they'll be like "oh he's only 30 he's in the prime of his career"

You stand a chance. Good luck. Don't neglect striking.

bamp

Similar situation as myself (two time runner up aka cuck wrestler heavyweight in high school)

Depending on your gym you may steamroll everyone effortlessly. Most BJJ gyms don't extensively train standup so you should have no trouble winning every tournament match until purple barring running into someone like yourself.

I'm a purple now and only the competition black belts can give me trouble and I don't have quite the wrestling pedigree.

If you actually want to get good and not just win focus on guard and learning all of the different moves even if it puts you in bad situations. I can takedown and lay on someone for 6 minutes for an easy win but it's not really BJJ and you won't get better that way. Good luck user.

is striking the easiest to learn out of the trinity (striking, submission, grappling)? this is what I always hear analysts say

I would never want to stand up and box with somebody anyway

so how similar is BJJ to wrestling in terms of cross-over skills?

I know its a morning but bamp

Very similar. With 10 years wrestling and 6 months BJJ you should be able to compete with good people who have 5+ years BJJ experience. Compared to wrestling the pace is much slower in BJJ.

Oh I didn't see the "primed to do MMA" part but grappling is NOT as important as you might think for 205/heavy outside of amateurs. Striking is 90% of what you need to be successful at heavyweight and 10% is takedown/BJJ defense.

Is BJJ actually good for self defence?

Every BJJ promoter always keeps yapping about how every fight ends up on the floor so you should focus on that, but if you are already betting that the other guy has no training why wouldn't you train striking?

Some have suggested practicing Judo, but what little competitive Judo I've seen it is all about just throwing people to the ground with zero follow up.

Not really. You can learn decent striking, and then use it to get close and wrestle, but you will be knocked out in a pure kick boxing match.
I'd say, learn bjj and use your wrestling background. Then later on begin with some striking in the form of boxing / muay thai and focus on defense, and think of how to set up takedowns. Play to your strengths and minimise your weaknesses.

>just throwing people to the ground with zero follow up
If your follow up action is to kill someone why bother with martial arts, just carry a gun.
Self-"defense" means you get out of danger as quickly as possible. Sounds lame but sprinting is a great way to get out of danger.

>just carry a gun
Yeah, because that is the thing that fixes the situation. Without training for suprise self defense situations with a gun it becomes less than useless. Further more there are civilized places where you can not carry a hand gun with you without breaking the law.

Again what is the point of throwing someone on the ground if they are just going to come after you again? If you can't answer this simple thing your martial art is just a sport, which is fine, I found Judo some what fun to watch, but I'm not going to waste time on it.

>sprinting is a great way to get out of danger.
Sure is, expect you know it as well as I that you can not rely on that unless you hardcore dedicate yourself as a long distance runner. There's a chance the guy is faster than you or you are with people you need/want to protect or you are just in a place where you can't run away from.

it's only good if you're fighting one guy, if there's 2 or more you'd be fuck if you wound up on the ground. judo is probably better overall, they have ground work like BJJ, but it just isn't emphasized as much as the throws.

But all the shit I've seen from Judo (which granted is mainly competition and some "every day self defense" videos on youtube) the Judo guy goes down with the opponent. I mean unless you take them by complete surprise they will grab onto something and pull you down with them.

Again wouldn't it be better to focus on good ol' boxing and to be able to throw good strikes to put people down instead of practicing for more complicated ground stuff?

Why do fight threads always devolve into
>MUH SELF DEFENSE
>JUST CARRY A GUN

Don't you incels realize some of us are competitive and have hobbys. We fight because we love the sportive and competitive aspect. We train fight sports because we love to fight.
Not everyone is always scared that some random dude is going to fight you for no reason

there are a good amount of throws in judo where you don't go down with your opponent, but like you pointed out you don't see them often in competition. and boxing is a fantastic martial art, mostly due to the fact that it's training emphasizes sparring so you'll be prepared for a fight.

Good for you. As I said, if you are into the sport aspect then fine, but I'm not going to waste my time on that because I'm not interested in the sport side just like with lifting, I don't care about competing against anyone but myself.

>I don't care about competing against anyone but myself
t.soyboy

A fiery and aggressive competitive spirit is the most masculine trait a man can have

>but I was pretty talented and wrestled for about 10 years. (state champion heavyweight)
Wow, that's impressive! Tell me please how did you lift (in season) when you was a wrestler?

Bitch is a bitch is a bitch

If you are following rules it is a game and I can just as well play Chess if I want to play a game.

>Bitch is a bitch is a bitch
indeed, user

Utterly useless
Learn basic krav maga and practice one or two strike techniques and you will beat 99% of threats

>But I want to roll around with sweaty balls in my face

Ok just go on Craigslist and save your money

He said he wants to get into MMA, the competitive sport. Not try to defend himself against the big boy bullies.

also
>krav maga
lmao

Whats bad about Krav Maga?

It's one of the greatest things you could ever do in your life. You just need 3 things;
1)Health Insurance
2)a lot of money to pay 150 monthly for training
3)the ability to practice even though you just dislocated your finger from the middle knuckle down

any "self defense system" is a meme and not a real martial art. There is no sparring in Krav maga, only situational "if he does that, you do this"

Lmao this retard thinks he can legitimately slap a gun out of somebody's hands

>2)a lot of money to pay 150 monthly for training
where the fuck are you training? The only place that charges near that amount is a giant McDojo megacenter

Whats the one where they beat on eachother with rubber knifes? I thought that was Krav Maga

>wants to be a good fighter
>is afraid to roll around with sweaty balls in face

anything goes in a fight, you fucking dweeb

I remember you on soc

I trained at a nice gym up the hill from my place. They had a variety of training opportunities, we did judo on Wednesdays, and nogi on Friday. The black belts rolled with everybody and it was under Marcelo Alonso.

I'd say most street fights do not end up on the ground in a BJJ type fight.
Knowing how to get out of people trying to grab into you or throwing you around would be better combo with strike practice than just BJJ

Muay Thai is good for this as it does striking & clinch work is great for when someone tries to grab onto you. In the clinch it is about knees/elbows and using your body weight/mechanics to catch the opponent off balance and then throw them to the ground.

In my experience that is how a street fight goes, some strikes, then usually one person charges the other to try and get them to the ground.
If you know how to stay up its much more useful then knowing how to act once on the ground, as its much easier to get fucked by more people when you are on your back opposed to your legs as some anons have said knowing how to run also works

But then again depends what you want to train for

If you have any strength and go to 2 judo classes, any fight will go to the ground.

BJJ is a meme martial art that every faggot college student takes to fell "empowered" and hoping to get into a fight like he sees on tv.
You are a colossal faggot if you take it and you should just kts now you autistic shitstain.

What’s a real martial art then?

I did bjj for years.

I was terrible at it. ended up in the spinal ward for a week after a big cunt bench pressed me when I was in side control, he ended up slamming me head first into the matt. lol. docs said "dude your neck is fucked, you need to quit this sport" I kept training for two more years, but ended up freaking out a lot whenever I was stacked.

So I quit like a pussy lol

Takes about the same level of fitness as wrestling.
different set of rules on points
positioning skills and general wrestling experience will apply
you will need to learn the closers and the strategy in setting them up and avaoiding them.

overall, if you enjoy the learning process and working your way back up the competitive ladder, because wrestling or no you will be wasted by little girls when you start, you have a good base for BJJ

Literally 40 quid a month in my local gym. All the classes you want, boxing, bjj, some other weird shit, and there's lifting equipment. You live in a shit place sempaichi.

I wouldn't pay more than $100/mo if it's not taught by a blackbelt. I was checking out some gyms and a purple belt wanted $120/mo in the midwest. Nope. I paid that much for blackbelts 2 degrees from Helio.

I'm in Las Vegas and I can't find anywhere that's like than $150/ month. Am I just out of luck? I can't afford that

As I said faget, you live in a shit place. Why would anyone want to live in Las Vegas?

almost turned into a cabbage, lol you fricken goof

It's almost like I didn't choose to live here and have no options for moving away

That's probably the reality of it. You live in the UFC capital.

There's always options. I was born in a rural shitehole in Eastern Europe, saved, borrowed and begged enough for a ticket and fucked off to the UK at 25 with just enough money left over for a weeks rent. And guess what, faget? I made it work.

People making excuses disgusts me. Do or do not, but don't make up shit to cover for laziness.

Except I'm living in a first world country in a city where I can get an education and live for cheap. The one complaint against this city is that it's based in tourism, but everything else is fine. Why would I move just to get better BJJ prices?
Why would you compare an Eastern European shit hole to Las Vegas?

Well then stop your complaining, nigguh, and enjoy your first world lifestyle.

I think it's rock paper scissors in terms of self-defence. If you don't know how to take a punch, and the guys a boxer, good luck

I just asked a question about BJJ class prices. I didn't complain at all, you just accused me of making excuses like a fucking autist.

So have you made it into a pro org yet?

when will they learn

You're out of luck. I live in Nashville and I pay $70 a month for BJJ, Judo, and kickboxing. The gym has a lot of black belts and a much larger talent pool than other gyms I've been too. The blue belts here seem to be at a much higher level than blue belts at other gyms.

Just train boxing and BJJ for a year and you're set.
I really hope you're lifting heavy on the side.

I would do HIIT (like ~6 min to simulate a match), and then do dips/pushups/pullups etc in between sets

and then I would do that for about 45 min

this was in addition to drilling at practice

as a heavyweight, it's pretty much in your power to be in better condition than everyone you wrestle especially in high school if you work hard

>BJJ is a meme

Trinity?

Submissions aren't separate from grappling.

If anything, the trinity would be BJJ, Western boxing, and Muay Thai.

> Brown belt here
> Been doing BJJ for 6 years
> I've trained with some of the top BJJ guys in the world and consider myself to be better than most
> I have zero hope of defending myself in an MMA fight

Do it because it's a fantastic sport not for self defence

Its a great sport, great for self-defense(if you're not brainded), just don't get into bad gym or don't get into this "bjj as a lifestyle" thing where u spend all your money on pricy gi's.

>I wrestled in high school, but I was pretty talented and wrestled for about 10 years.
Depending on which areas you specialized in, you might not even need full autismo bjj training to outwrestle bjj guys. See studies on Ben Askren.

>with that said what can I expect and will I be primed to one day do MMA?
As heavyweight, i'd say there is a chance(also depending on how talented you are), but honestly, 22 is fairly old already. If your focus is to get into mma why not go find yourself an MMA gym in the first place? Striking+takedown defense is more important in modern MMA than straight up bjj. Since i assume you got takedown defense covered, you might as well start working on striking and general MMA stuff. BJJ training that MMA gyms provide usually sufficient.

Reminds me of this heavy weight from when I was in high school. His family has some genetic thing that makes them come out retardedly jacked. He wrestled heavy weight despite being 220lbs, and he wrecked the fat kids lol. He hada heart attack and died before he was 20 because of his condition, so he was basically
>tfw too Chad to live
Just like zyzz