My rib cage is extremely skinny, despite the weight I've gained (20 lbs) it's remained the same...

My rib cage is extremely skinny, despite the weight I've gained (20 lbs) it's remained the same. It looks awful having such skinny ribs, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can I get advice on how to fix this and/or a core routine?
I fear that I'll continue to work out and my rib cage will continue to remain so thin, looking worse the more mass I gain.

1. Drink lots of milk for calcium and vitamin D
2. Get an air pump and inflate your lungs just slightly over your limit. Every week increase it more and more until your lungs are huge and push out your rib cage more.

I meant like the rib cage area

> 2. Get an air pump and inflate your lungs just slightly over your limit. Every week increase it more and more until your lungs are huge and push out your rib cage more.

pretty sure this is a horrible idea

OP, your ribcage is fine, what you really need to do is build up your serratus/lats/shoulders/traps so you can get a nice vtaper going. Wouldn't hurt to lose a few pounds of fat, either, because part of the problem is you've got a bit of a tire around your waist.

I don't think you can do anything about it except build up your lats to compensate.

I know I know, I was just shitposting.
Work on pull-ups/chin-ups so you can build up your lats, man.

You can't target that area? I was told dumbbell side bends/working on your obliques would help but I see no difference. I still look like a malnourished freak when there's good lighting.
Thanks for the advice.

>you can't target that area
Says who? I'm very certain you can work on your lats. Sure, you're working out other muscles in your arms, but I don't see the problem with that. Your arms aren't going to be disproportioned with your lats.

I meant like you can't target your rib cage area. You can't target it?
Dumbbell pullovers?

you can target your obliques, but don't expect that to make much of a difference, it's a very small muscle with little growth potential.

Your ribcage isn't a muscle. You can't "work it out". You'll have to work on your upper back and shoulders.

I said the area, not the rib cage itself.
So people with big rib cages are essentially fucked? Why isn't this more talked about

it is talked about, haven't you seen the barrel chest threads and all of the ones complaining about having wide hips?

dumbell pullovers work your lats, chest, and serratus. why are you ignoring

OP if that is you in the picture posted then you have nothing to worry about. Your body is fine. If youre not satisfied then work on upper back. Otherwise I would not stress about your rib cage.
The body dysmorphia on this board is rampant.

Maybe not specifically do one exercise that targets it but if you do chins/pulls (Weighted if you want) and other heavy shit like BB rows and deads, you will grow your lats.

I have
Thanks
It looks horrible how it dips inwards when it gets to my rib area, is that not true?

>it dips inwards when it gets to my rib area
Huh? Pictures/explain please

Dude, you look good. Your proportions may not be what sculptors use, but you are muscled and cut.

If you got a better haircut, dressed reasonably, and had an ounce of game, you could slay some vag.

btw OP you have a Chad face, stop obsessing about your ribcage and hit the gym for 2-3 years. 20lb of lean mass later, you will look like a greek god and you will chuckle about this ribcage shit.

I just think it dips inwards and I look scrawny, though my camera is shit my ribs look really exposed. I'll post a comparison pic right after
Thanks

This is just for the sake of comparison, you see how it's just straight up and then it's his lats?

Didn't link the picture like an idiot

Looks like you have lower back fat. When that's gone you will look bigger up top. You also have a long torso. Those guys that look big meatball looking guys in photos are usually a lot smaller in person.

this is why ill never take advice from Veeky Forums

It's not extremely skinny. But stand up straight and don't roll your shoulders forward. Not saying you have bad posture, but if you know you're hunching forward, then fix that.

Either way, it's only going to look better and it doesn't even look bad now.

Assuming you are eating enough,
>lots of pull ups and rows to build lats
>lots of crunches, flutterkicks, bicycles etc to build up your core
>pullovers I've heard are excellent for building a barrel chest