Help me settle a debate with a pencil neck streamer

Help me settle a debate with a pencil neck streamer.

Strength = Low reps - heavy weight
Size = High reps - decent amount of weight

Correct?

So if I wanted to get big and look good, I'd be doing a high rep (12-15), and if I wanted to get strong, I'd be pulling 5 reps of however much weight I could handle, right?

why are you debating people about this if you dont have enough experience to know already ???

not really, 12-15 is too high rep range.

Not really. The whole 'low reps for strength, high reps for size' is one of those lies-to-children answers that got out of control.

The chat has been arguing with him for an hour now.

He thinks he's hot stuff because he can bench 175 lb for reps and freaked the fuck out when I said I lift to look good at the beach not impress my gym bros.

maybe you would know if you ever went to the gym

Alright, 10-12 then
He wont accept what everyone is saying in chat

Closer, I think the science says 8-12

3-6 for strength
8-12 for hypertrophy
12+ for muscular endurance
Obviously don't do 7 because your gains won't count for that set

anybody have the chart?

POST IT

So basically,
"I lift to look good not to lift heavy weight"
Is a real thing and not just a cop out.

>needing a friend simulator

why do you care so much about what this guy believes? if he's wrong then it's his loss, not yours.

Come on dude I'm on nofap

Kind of can be. Someone who trains strictly strength won't be massive, but will still be able to push heavier weight compared to someone who trains strictly hypertrophy. Mid rep hypertrophy range is less efficient for strength but more efficient for size

this is probably the dumbest thing i've read on this board

Not that simple but generally yes. Volume is far more important though

Do you need to build a strength base in order to get big and look good?

He was saying most bodybuilders get strong and then tone their muscles, but a lot of people including myself have had tons of success with just bodybuilding routines.

I bet this fucking guy hasn't got past LP

Dude just shut the fuck up, read the sticky and lurk more

Strength base? Not really, although it does help.

Being strong is kind of necessary though. You just don't have to develop that by doing low rep work (and people consistently fuck that part up by figuring out how to handle more weight for the same effort rather than getting stronger).

Higher reps is better at building muscle than lower reps at the appropriate weights. However, if you wanted to get strong you would train high reps until you got close to the time you wanted to demonstrate strength, then train low reps.

Whoever that dude is is too retarded to bother debating. It's like debating with a crazy hobo over why batman should be president. Steeped in retardation and not worth your time.

Anyway a strength base varies in usefulness depending on strength when lifting has begun. The weaker one is, the better case for a strength base. Also, at the noob level, strength and hypertrophy absolutely do not have to be separate, more so than intermediate and beyond. Generally speaking of course. There's so hard answers as everything depends very heavily on the routine you do and its variables as well as diet.

This. It's cardio after 11

Weak ass chart at Good chart here

Yes, lower rep ranges are better for pure strength, but if you have enough volume with your compounds you will get bigger in addition to gaining strength. Why the fuck would you want to get big and not get any stronger? Your body will eventually get used to you doing 3x10 with the same weight every time and you'll plateau fast.