Why is powerlifting a meme on here...

Why is powerlifting a meme on here? Rip used to be yooge and old school bodybuilders like Dorian Yates used to powerlift.

thats roger estep btw

this is actually a pic of mark rippetoe. he was stronger in his prime than 99% of people on this board, yet everyone here loves to talk shit about him

bc most power lifters are fat fucks and its a form of self harm

He was strong but never competitive, he had a total in the mid 1000s at over 200lbs. He admits he doesn't have great genetics however.

Still, squatting 620 in a meet is pretty good for a natty with mediocre genes.

bretty sure they work accessory muscles as well m8
also, hitting stabilizer muscles hard and often works wonders for the big lifts

Is OP's pic really not Uncle Rip? That pic always pops up with his name attached.

Any other pics of him from back in his day?

because noobies still think that PPL's and doing "muh machine work brah gotta getta pump" is the ultimately key to looking like zyzz.

The biggest redpill in natty lifting is maximizing your strength in compound exercises. Thats how you get as big as possible

that's the only pic pretty much anyone can find

Probably because most people here see the likes of fatter guys like ray williams, chad wesley smith etc and become discouraged since men these days care more for aesthetics. What they don't realise is that many powerlifters are lean and aesthetic as well as monstrously strong.

Also the fact that 3 inch ROM sumo, huge bench arches and the joke that is equipped lifting has become prevalent puts people off further.

Progressing strength as a natty is crucially important but more bodybuilding focused training goes a hell of a long way for some muscles. Upright rows and laterals at good volumes will explode the delts, incline bench and flyes can be great for pecs, high volume bicep curls will pack mass onto those. Strength training, even if using high volumes, will leave gaps if accessories are ignored, for that example arms, abs, calves etc will not grow optimally without more attention. Unquestionably leg development can get insane just from heavy squats and deadlift variants in a strength training protocol.

the 83-105kg weight classes are all full of ripped people

i recall seeing one of him hiking at ~30 years old

If you have to ask then you are too new.

My cousin is a pt and he will advise high volume with bitch weights to all his clients because according to him m-muh risk of injury

because most people here are small and unathletic and cant even do 1/2/3/4

That's reasonable for the older clientele that trainers usually cater to. You'll see how easy it becomes to hurt yourself one day.

what do you mean by genetics? Do certain people get Veeky Forums easier than others?

Not exactly, but the levers of your body can help or hurt your ability to lift heavy weight easily. For example, Ed Coan has godlike levers for powerlifting and was able to deadlift more than most of Veeky Forums his first time doing the diddly.

>bodybuilders like Dorian Yates used to powerlift
somehow every single poster has missed the point, so I'll help you out: training the big 3 lifts is not the same as powerlifting. bodybuilders and strength athletes perform the big 3 lifts for the sake of developing size and static strength. powerlifters perform the big 3 lifts for the sake of... performing the lifts. my point is that benching to build your chest is a reasonable thing to do, where as benching just so that you can bench more is autistic. the powerlifting movements are neither technically demanding (like olympic lifts) nor pure feats of strength (like strongman) and so there's no good reason for people to take them so seriously

>He was strong but never competitive
Hmmm ... sounds like bullshit to me.
>Rip was a competitive powerlifter for ten years. He won the 198-pound weight class at the Greater Texas Classic in 1982, and placed in state- and regional-level meets for the next 6 years, retiring from competition in 1988.
Yeah, so not an international or national-level guy, but Texas is a big State, bigger than most countries in Europe. No, I don't know his best totals, and don't care, just wanted to BTFO this whole "never competitive" crap.

True that. The man was strong in his prime. I think both his squat and deadlift were 630lbs or so

In and on gear.

Which doesn't make them unimpressive but puts them in better perspective.

No
As he literally said he was a powerlifter.

>rippetoe
>on steroids
you imbecile. You just have an anti rippetoe bias. There are many natty 200 lb + powerlifters that can squat and deadlift 630

In powerlifting, limb lengths and insertions are hugely important. Plus, people progress at different rates, respond to different training protocols differently, respond to drugs differently etc

Regionally competitive is hardly competitive. I've actually broken the record in the squat and bench in my weight class in my area and I'm not particularly proud of it.

Go and look him up on YouTube talking about it. He knew he was mediocre and he wasn't prepared to devote his whole life to it to be competitive, and stopped thusly. His words.

He wasn't natty back in the day user. He's fairly open about it. He also competed in gear since raw wasn't a thing back then.

shit bait

Lol only if you consider it mediocre being in the top 1%.

muscle fibers, fast and slow twitch proportion, digestive capability, limb length proportion, insertion, joint laxity and flexibility, recovery capacity, archetype, upbringing and environment, nutritional optimization during growth, general health during growth, and a whole list of other things fall under the umbrella term of "genetics".