What fat percentage in ground meets is the limit for a good diet? I was thinking about 10%. What do you guys?

what fat percentage in ground meets is the limit for a good diet? I was thinking about 10%. What do you guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Organic Livestock Requirements.pdf
ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/beef/grassfed
academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/95/1/9/4576704
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/40/5/982.short
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.short
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26268692
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24723079
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/91/3/497.long
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/92/2/459.2.long
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/92/2/458.full
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2943062/
sciencemag.org/news/2014/03/scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats
hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/frank-sacks-swap-saturated-fats-for-healthier-fats/
heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Saturated-Fats_UCM_463756_Article.jsp#.Wk7ge3lG2Uk
youtube.com/watch?v=a-Tx9dCbv-g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hope you're not actually this retarded. Fat isn't bad for you, sugar is. The only time you should have to be picky about the fat content of your ground meat is if you're actually trying to properly prepare a dish. Burgers should be 30/70 for juicy or 20/80 for firm, 10/90 would give you a fucking rock.

i like 20% fat more flavour

/thread

how long should i keep raw ground beef in the fridge? ive been getting a couple tubes a week and using it throughout that week without freezing it, will i live?

Portion it off in plastic bags and freeze it, you dumbass. It's not bad for you if you cook it but it tastes like shit.
Wrap the frozen portions in paper bags to prevent freezer burn, btw.

> Fat isn't bad for you, sugar is
You can't say something isn't bad for you just because something else happens to be bad for you. Saturated fat like that found in beef is bad for you.

Saturated fat boosts test

>Saturated fat like that found in beef is bad for you
No, it's not. If grass fed, t's exactly the best fat of can get, if it's not grass fed, still very good fat.

Get the cheap stuff, you drain the fat when you cook it anyway

Did Veeky Forums get smarter since 2006? Fucking this. Anyone who is lifting for gains should be eating primarily fat and protein, and their diet should have more fat than protein with a 50/50 ratio at the lowest.

No it doesn't
Feeding the cow grass doesn't determine if the saturated fat is good or bad for you

good beef is about more than what the cow was fed. if you're buying non-organic CAFO beef, even if the beef is fed grass, your best bet is to go as lean as possible. this is because the antibiotics and hormones and things fed to cattle are generally fat soluble- meaning when you're eating this low quality beef you're eating all the nasty stuff the cattle ate.

always, always purchase organic grass-fed.

keep in mind that usda "organic" requirements are not all that stringent. many of these organic beef products are still full of toxic synthetic drugs, many of which (yes) are fat-soluble.

your best bet is really to find a local ranching family who insists on raising organic, grass-fed beef, and ask them questions about the medications they give their cattle and the like.

ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Organic Livestock Requirements.pdf

And stop eating trash carbs. That includes bread you didn't mill and bake yourself. It especially includes sugar, which you should go out of your way to keep below 5g a day. You should never eat anything that's primarily processed sugars (fruit is different, no I can't find the relevant studies right now; I just remember the rule).

Just had some 90/10 burgers last night. If youre not shit at cooking theres no reason they wouldnt be joocy. Learn how to into Worcestershire and seasonings and not cooking your burgers until theyre well done m8.

This is why you should buy from local farmers, butchers and hunters and rarely buy from the big chain stores.

absolutely.

find some hunter friends!

If you can't tell which part of the cow the meat came from, don't eat it.

Grass fed labeling doesn't make it healthy any more than organic, non-GMO status makes cookies healthy

as much as possible fat intake doesn't make you fat retard.

Protip Flatten out the portion sof beef in the bag so they are like flat bricks, they will thaw much faster and store much easier because they are stack-able

mhm. this is also true.

ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/beef/grassfed

anyone can legally claim their beef is grass-fed, at least in the U.S. there is literally not longer a usda grass-fed standard, though there used to be. so "grass fed" may simply mean 10% of their feed is grass anyway. or really it just means nothing. seeing "grass-fed" on a food label in the U.S. literally means nothing.

usda is great at folding to pressure from industry giants.

I mean even the most authentic grass fed, fed nothing but Alabama blue grass, does not mean the food itself is good for you. It may be marginally better than the conventional version but it doesn't fundementally change what the food is.

now we're getting into some controversial stuff! i love it xD

so, you're right in a sense. the science is FAR from settled. there are studies that say beef is super healthy, and others that say it's not. the WHO considers it a carcinogen, particularly when it's cooked to a black crispy charcoal-type food.

and the nutritional difference between corn fed and grass fed beef? many studies show it is slightly more nutrient-dense in that it has more minerals and essential fatty acids and things than corn-fed beef. but if we're gonna wait until the science is settled on the matter to take action we'll be waiting the rest of our lives lol. nutritional science is particularly difficult, and is actually a relatively young science. we're still discovering new phytochemicals in plants that have all kinds of benefits we're only beginning to understand.

but from a non-scientific, more common sense approach... i think it stands to reason that grass-fed beef is substantially healthier. instead of looking at cows, let's pretend we're cannibals!

as a cannibal, would you rather eat a person in relatively good shape who ate their veggies and fruit, and got their protein from mostly natural sources? or would you be more inclined to eat the fatass who survived on taco bell and soda? which person would be more nutritious?

the corn we feed to cattle is the low-tier stuff that is deemed unfit for human consumption. and a big part of the reason we force feed it to cows is because it fattens them up.

so it's absolutely reasonable to say that the science is not settled. but i feel pretty certain that grass-fed beef is a LOT better for people than corn-fed. as to whether any of it is actually healthy for us? we don't know, definitively. to my mind though it makes sense that it would be healthy. we did evolve to eat this way.

doesn't mean it's necessary to eat beef to be healthy. there are plenty of perfectly healthy vegans and vegetarians out there.

It's hardly controversial.
First of all, OP's post is about beef fat, which is saturated. Saturated fat is considered unhealthy by every major medical institution, with no debate. Red meat as a food is also well accepted as something to avoid.
>there are studies that say beef is super healthy
Post one.

meh here's the first one i found. it's talking exclusively about lean beef, but in this study it lowered LDL cholesterol.

academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/95/1/9/4576704

here's a better one.

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/40/5/982.short

this took like 30 seconds to find lol

forest meat you get yourself is bretty gud

>but in this study it lowered LDL cholesterol.
No, it showed that a diet that happens to include lean beef in it can lower cholesterol, by cutting out other sources of saturated fat. That's the kind of misleading study design you get when the beef industry funds the study.
Got a full text of this? There's no information useful information in the abstract

this is fun, so here's a pro-saturated fat study:

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.short

as with most of these studies, you have to pay for a subscription to the journal to actually access the meat of the studies :/

i know i'm kinda just spamming these, but...

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26268692
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24723079

>this is fun, so here's a pro-saturated fat study:
You're not going to acknowledge what you already posted and what it shows versus what you think it did?
>ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.short
More industry funded research, this time by the dairy industry. Here's some published responses to this paper, which was heavily critized when it came out
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/91/3/497.long
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/92/2/459.2.long
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/92/2/458.full
The authors of the paper you posted even posted a revision afterwards that changed their intial findings
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2943062/

These studies are not seen seen as good evidence by the majority of the science community
sciencemag.org/news/2014/03/scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats
hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/frank-sacks-swap-saturated-fats-for-healthier-fats/
heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Saturated-Fats_UCM_463756_Article.jsp#.Wk7ge3lG2Uk

Being able to find a study that says something doesn't mean it's well made and should immediately be accepted at face value

If you're genuinely interested in this, here's a video that breaks down the studies in the first meta-analysis you posted
youtube.com/watch?v=a-Tx9dCbv-g

fat doesnt make you fat retard

Ground beef is shit and made from multiple cows. Just buy steak whenever it goes on sale

Saturated fat does in fact boost test. But being high test isnt necessarily healthy

No it doesn't

oh, i'm not gonna get into the details. don't really have time for it right now. my point was simply that the science is far from settled, and there is a great deal of dissent concerning these things.

you can find tons of studies going both ways, and in a lot of cases the anti-saturated fat studies are funded by sugar people or corn people or what have you.

No, the science is very much settled. There's contradictory studies about everything, but that doesn't mean we don't know anything about anything. You can make solid conclusions based on the strength of evidence for both sides, which has happened. Leave research to the professionals.

>Fat isn't bad for you
A disingenuous statement.
Saturated fat and Trans fat have been scientifically proven to be detrimental to human health.
A more accurate statement would be "not all fat is bad for you," because unsaturated fats have been proven to be beneficial to health.

:)

what's your diet like? i'm just curious.

>your best bet is really to find a local ranching family
My butcher insists on sourcing everything locally, and with locally I mean within the village. Pork, duck and chicken we raise ourselves and I can literally see the cow that’ll be on my plate half a year from now from my bedroom window. Feels good, cityfags will never understand.

comfy

:)

rural living has a ton of advantages. better air, probably have access to badass well water, quality locally sourced food.

there's a lot to romanticize, no joke.