Is it frowned upon to lift low weight for a male? Do you guys make fun of me when I do low weights?

Is it frowned upon to lift low weight for a male? Do you guys make fun of me when I do low weights?

youtu.be/7V6zlc8f0hk?t=2m51s

don't be an insecure fuck and you wont be made fun of.

We do
We make fun of you more for being a faggot

i don't make fun of anyone for the amount of weight they move

but what the FUCK is this guy doing taking literally 15 seconds between squat reps? if i were waiting for the rack i'd be pissed

>waiting for the rack
what are u some dyel nigga
throw a plate at him and say 5 minutes

Everyone has to start somewhere. Just the other day I looked at a dude benching just the bar, do you think I laughed at him?
No, the dude had balls to start and not being ashamed of starting low weight while learning the bench motion and getting used to the weight.

Fuck people that laugh about this kinda stuff, unless its your friend, it ain't cool.

Why the fuck do people take so long to do 3 set? I do mine quick and move on to keep my burn. Am I doing this wrong?

At least once a month I do a dumbbell bench pyrimad where I start with the lightest dumbbells and work my way up until i can go any higher then back down. I get a lot of interesting looks and some questions. Went from a max of 40s for 10 reps to 75s for 10 reps. The way back down is shitty because you over there shaking with fucking 10s and shit.

when you start lifting heavier weight you may not be able to finish your sets without more rest

for example, when im doing sets of 5, so pretty close to my 1rm, I need like 3 minutes rest or else my next set ill get only 2 or 3 reps instead of 5

>Is it frowned upon to lift low weight for a male?
Yes.

>Do you guys make fun of me when I do low weights?
No, not if you're trying to get stronger. We all started out somewhere.

t. NYR
t. redditor

yea and i started at 1/2/3/4
whats your excuse

>1/2/3/4

I dont get it.

Same. Wut is?

Hello newfriend!

1/2/3/4, is the amount of 45lbs plates on each side of the bar for Overhead press/Bench press/Squat/Deadlift.

Oh. Now I feel retarded thinking it was the number of reps

if alpha destiny wasn't lifting for girls

>Captain Kirk reference

Nice 1 m8.

What is consider okay for Veeky Forums? how many plates would look fine?

are you nearing failure at the end of the set?

No, but I do notice and 90% of the time I'll think "I should watch that guy out of the corner of my eye just in case he fails a rep and gets stuck under the weight or something"

1/2/3/4 for reps.

whatever you can lift while mantaining good posture. It is worse to put on too much weight because you think you have to lmao.

the trick is to use several 10lb plates to make the bar look more full

Depends on how you train.
If you really struggle with that weight i won't make fun of you, you are getting stronger at some point.
But if you are a faggot like Ian Mcarthy and do 4 pounds chest flyes because you believe "science" is on your side, you deserve to be ridiculed

Of course I am. I do fast sets to keep the burn but thats just me.

t. everyone at my UNI gym

My gym just got this new area with bumperplates, all the teenage fuccbois are in there using all the smaller plates to look strong.

Usually they us the 35lbs barbells too, just to be able to add more plates.

Dude don't give a shit about what people think. You go to the gym to improve, not impress.

Epic memes, now back to /pol/

What a beast benching his bw

nah brah

first you improve, then you impress.

>Can barely squat 1 pl8
>Can barely bench the bar with 5lbs
>Screams and curses at his 3 year old infront of everyone and a terrible parent overall
>Has autism
>He has a GF that looks ok

So whats your excuse Veeky Forums?

a big regret of mine is i didn't jump on the narcissist instagram fad.
now im old late 20s and internet dating is difficult. who takes pictures of a late 20yo man other than his gf?

>late 20's

Same here bro, but the Instagram thing started just a few years back.
When we were 20 IG didn't exist, it was blogging instead.

He does alright for the guy of his size and look. Not good, but alright. Squats around 65 kgs, benches aroun 40+. Not that pathetic, you know.

Thats his gf?

I wish this too.

Only started using social media "properly" in the past year. It's hard to catch up... Stuck at only a few hundred followers on Instagram despite doing everything "right" and posting some quality and original content.

At one point one of my selfies (only have a few) must have hit the explore page in south america because it got 800+ likes from mostly south american teenagers... Very few followed me though so I don't really get how people are supposed to get followers lol.

I feel too old to take selfies even though I'm only 26... There's only so many times in the same year I can do it without feeling like a monumental bell-end.

The only other person who takes pictures of me, like you said, is my gf. And they are usually very unflattering

I dunno brahs. Someone send me some handjobs via tweeter (no homo)

Do you know how I know you lift shit weights?

>3 min rest

Why the fuck do people do this? Isn't this bad?

Cause he thinks his 2pl8 squats is consider "heavy"

You rest until you're recovered, the usual time span is 2-5 minutes.

Now when I'm prepping for a half-marathon my resting period between sets is really low, so it depends on your cardio level.

Not that guy, but I get dizzy if I rush my sets, even 3 minutes rest on squat is too little for me. I rest untill I feel comfortable and my heart rate goes normal wich is about 5-7 minutes.

How long are you supposed to take each rep on squats? I usually take my time. I'm a beginner, am I supposed to do them rapidly?

I do mine under a minute or after my friends finish. I don't rest long.

Do them with good form, don't rush it like a Crossfit retard.

Don't rush it, when weight starts to get heavy your form will go to shit, you can injure yourself.

You gotta start somewhere my man

everybody starts somewhere. Spend less time worrying what people think about you, and focus that energy on getting to where you want to go.

>mfw AMOGed some NYR yesterday by asking to work in when he was squatting
>mfw did OHP with his squat weight

makes no sense.

Yes, i do laugh at you if you try to lift a weight that's bigger than what you can handle. There's nothing to be ashamed of if you can't bench 1pl8, but if you do it and your spotter does more work than you, then i will laugh at you

Just fucking lift. No one cares what your weight is, they are too focused on what they are doing and when they do notice they don't care. If you're that fucking self conscious you'll never make it, everyone starts somewhere.

Did you skip brain day at the gym too often?

if it feels heavy its heavy

I do lift shit weights, but Im curious how you knew.

I'm curious

I don't speak nerd.

I'm bicurious

Most people are weak as fuck, my bench is terrible. I rep 150lbs and that’s still more than 90% of the dudes in my gym.

8.63 seconds.

Anything different and the rep doesn't count and you get no gains.

And you don't speak strength either. You would be a perfect girl.

Honest 99% of the world is 1 plate of less.

>8.63
Kek.
Fucking eightlet, 6.42 is the optimal time.

You sound like a major faggot

>1+ hour video

have you lost your mind you fucking faggot? i'm not sitting through an hour of some scrawny little shit struggling to half rep 65 pounds. fuck off.

>6.42
>optimal
On DE days maybe. Put more weight on the bar, pussy.

I'd make fun of you for caring about people making fun of you.

Lad not everyone in the world lives in your soyboy neighborhood. I've seen DYEL manual laborers bench 185 on their first day. Farmers that can deadlift 315 in a week. The entire world doesn't sit all day on a computer chair and diddle their willy to prepubescent chinese cartoon characters

yes

10 seconds down, 1 up baby!

The guy in the video is at least squatting a plate pretty much atg. That's better than most people in a commercial gym.

Honestly if you go atg with 95lbs, maybe even less, I wouldn't care. Your best bet is to legg press if you're really weak, as to not use up a squat rack for empty bar squats. But seriously, I'd rather see a newbie squat 95lbs atg than a fucking gymnig quarter squating lmao 2pl8.

gotta start somewhere breh

i started basically barbell only and got to average (1plate)

>Is it frowned upon to lift low weight for a male?
It's not frowned upon, but it reflects on you.

>Do you guys make fun of me when I do low weights?
Privately? Sure. If you're not lifting heavy then why the fuck are you even in the weight room?

There are reasons to not lift heavy. Depends on what you are training for.

>There are reasons to not lift heavy.
Lel

So in your opinion a person needs to just do other exercises so he can lift heavy in the weight room like everybody else?

So I can train to lift heavier in the future. I need to start somewhere don't I?

Listen here you stupid fucks, if you need to rest seven fucking minutes between squat sets and you're not competing, you're lifting too heavy to call it 3x5. Waiting until your heart rate goes back to normal, like what the fuck. Go fuck all of you ego lifting fucks on Veeky Forums, nobody needs seven fucking minutes of rest between sets. A guy I knew told me he rests for nine minutes and he squatted 2pl8. You guys are fucking idiots.

If you need more than 5 minutes of rest between sets, you should be doing some cardio before your heart gives up on you.

>goes to the gym to impress other guys
You are a faggot and should get a home gym, because any sane gym goer ignores the fuck out of EVERYBODY else and just lifts their weight and gets the fuck back home

"Heavy" is a relative term. As long as you're pushing yourself to at least some extent then it's all good - from hungry skelly to Piana (RIP in Protein). If you're not going to challenge yourself, however, then why even bother with free weights?

Everybody has to start somewhere and if you laugh at somebody for lifting low amounts of weight starting out, then you're a faggot.

When I first started lifting weights when I was 18, I was struggling to bench 95LB, but within a few weeks it becomes nothing and you'll get up to benching 150LB like it's nothing in no time.

>I dont get it.

You never will.

This. Why the fuck do you guys hog the machine for 30 minutes? I finish like 9 sets of stuff and the same guys still on it.

I do SS and squat 100 kg 3x5 at 63 kg bodyweight. My cardio is not that good so my hear rate goes nuts also my stomach feel pretty bad since I am on 4000 calories diet so after bracing hard I sometimes feel like I'm gonna shit myself (I also use belt) so I wait untill I feel comfortable so nothing distracts me. Even Rippetoe himself told that 3-7 minutes is a normal range for a rest.

Rip is a noted lazy fuck. He's strong for his age and such but just about everyone else agrees his guys lack conditioning and work capacity.

Some guys need that 7+ minutes mentally but they're squatting enough weight that its obvious why they're taking so long.

Literally wrong.

In order to get gains you have to cause enough stress to disrupt homeostasis.

Not everything needs to, or should, be a rpe10 1rm. But every working set should be hard.

Listen here you little piece of shit, you DON'T need seven minutes because muh weit muh cundishuns, what you need is to stop fucking ego lifting, because you're just squatting fucking 2pl8. It's so fucking pathetic to see a loser like you sit around just idling at the squat rack because you just came out of DYEL mode so that muh hart raet can come down to normal. I don't give a flying fuck what that fat fuck Rippetoe says, if you're going to wait for seven minutes between sets, do it in your own fucking home gym.

Yeah, nah.

This. Why the fuck does it take so long to do 3 sets? The fucker would just stay there looking at their phone.

Generally because they're extremely out of shape and/or lazy. Lotta guys 'doing SS' have done no exercise in years or decades so they gas out really easily. And since Rip is rabidly against doing conditioning or adding volume in the novice phase they tend to stay that way.

Poor bastards. They tend to get crushed the first few weeks they're on any other program.

you sound like a faggot

How fat are you? Who the fuck waits 7 minute to do another set.

It is primaly because my stomach issues. Maybe I should stop drinking that much water but I just afraid to fart during the set DESU.
Me 5'8/139 lbs.

>to much water
GTFO of here. I drink 3 bottles of water during my workout.

I drink around 3L durinkg workout though.

Maybe closer to 2L actually.