/fast/ #77 - Don't forget to do your compounds edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0

>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
Mix 2,000mg of lite salt & pink salt into a liter of water and drink that throughout the day. This is like Gatorade without the sugar, it'll keep you hydrated.
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ox9WXFcNIY

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>WHAT IS DRY FASTING? WONT I DEHYDRATE MYSELF?
No food or water consumption. Try this after your first water fast if you want. It's the fastest way to ketosis and autophagy.The longest record is 18 days. (Don't fucking dry fast for 18 days. 3-5 max)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Mihavecz

>More dry fasting info
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
youtube.com/watch?v=81a10sZ4duU&t

120h dry fast result.

128h so far. Might quit today because my sleep is all fucked up.

sick results and it's been long enough I think you should stop it.

is the cayenne pepper necessary in the snake juice?

yea i think i'm done with it. btw starting weight was 176, currently 160

uhhh fuck all this retarded Veeky Forums shit about 'snake juice'.

just take an electrolyte if you're going to be fasting for a few days.

if you're only fasting 24 hours you don't need to worry about this.

FUCK OFF COLE YOU INBRED PIECE OF SHIT.
Those threads are not your personal merchandising and self-promoting space so stop putting your gay shit in the OP.

Two questions:
2000 mg of lite salt and 2000 mg of pink salt OR 2000 mg of lite and pink salt combined (so 1000 each)?
Also, why would I do OMAD (I'm like 14% bf wanna get down to 10%), and not fast completely, if no calories at all seems to be better for overall results and easier to do than low calories?

You don't need the salt if you're doing OMAD.

I feel like people are actually retarded.

The salts and supplements are to maintain levels of electrolytes in prolonged fasting.

In prolonged fasting (1 week+) these salts (potassium/magnesium/sodium) will deplete out of the body because there is no readily available reservoir to easily tap like there is fat.

As your blood levels of these salts deplete you start getting issues with cellular conductivity & metabolism. This can manifest as palpitations, tachycardia, and if it's low enough it can knock you into an an unsustainable rhythm and thus you arrest + die.

Oral replacement of electrolytes will somewhat advert this + the body (as protein is catabolised) will naturally start emptying potassium into the blood from destroyed proteins. It's not enough to advert hypokalemia, but it will slow that depletion down, and when combined with oral electrolytes it'll keep you safe.

tl;dr you only need the replacements if you're fasting atleast 1 week, otherwise taking in large doses of electrolytes is actually harmful.

should i still do compounds when dryfasting?
seems dangerous

I do understand this, but thanks for the quick answer - to rephrase:
It seems to me that NO meals a day and fasting down to your prefered bf% would be easier than ONE meal a day and fasting.
What are arguments for one meal over no meals?
And IF no meals make more sense than what would be the appropriate amount of salts to consume?
Thanks!

Going by some of Cole's dry fast vids, he has done compounds during a dry fast, but I don't know how far into it. In one video, he mentions that during a three day dry fast he trained for the first two days then rested on the third. I dunno about continuing for a longer one.

Do whatever lets you function.

If you're not going to last at least 4-5 days on the fast & you have commitments -- i.e. work/school -- you'd be better off just doing OMAD.

The worst part of fasting peaks around day 3-4 and you'll be borderline non-functional at that stage.

If you're doing IF you don't need any salt replacement, which is exactly what I just said.

You shouldn't be exercising at all during a fast unless it's light cardio and you're less than 24 hours in especially when it's a dry one. You're not building any muscle, it's only for accelerating your keto transition.

compounds should definitely be done on water fasts

every day around 4-5pm i get overwhelming sleepy when intermittent fasting

its really like getting hit by a truck out of nowhere

Maybe if you're already in keto so the recovery isn't too slow. I personally hate the feeling of fatigue and expending your energy during a fast only exacerbates the general torpidity experienced.

just go light (~~50%RM) low volume

Someone please help from old thread.

1)What is the catabolic window? If I'm going to do a schedule of 2 days OMAD/2 days water fast, repeat, when is the catabolic window, and what should I do or not do about it? Eat some fat? Are a couple of eggs good enough?

2)Can you take vitamins/Omega 3s/creatine/BCAAs during a water fast? Or will any of those break it?

What should my one meal consist of then? No carbs, high protein, only vegetables?
Any reliable sources you could point me to?

when is your timing window
you could be eating before that and by the time insulin kicks in you will get sleepy

how fucked is your sleep?
i'm currently doing 110+ hours and i sleeped for a longer time than 8 hours.

132 hours in and i've gone from 99kg to 95kg so far.
Planning on going 2 more weeks maybe 3.
I'll post before after pics when im done.

Whats your high? I am 6.4 and i got from 120kg to 116kg in 4 days. Mostly water

Weak willed repost

>96 hours into hard dry fast
>finally starting to really FEEL it
Oh boy. I mean, I don't feel like I'm dying and I'm sure I can function normally for a couple more days, but I do see that it's gonna be hard grinding time once I wake up. Cheers /fast/. G'night.

I'm 5'11"

I did OMAD yesterday and did my push routine yesterday while in a fasted state and I was pleasantly surprised.

Noramlly I just do 17/7 and eat my carbs for the day pre workout.

No real difference in energy while lifting fasted.

I'm on my 5th day of a planned 7 day water fast. I'm fat :^(
I have a bit of an idea on what to do when I get out of this, thinking of going strictly keto in diet and starting a routine. This is to take advantage of the growthability that comes from keto, go into gaining muscle mass mode and then after a month or two switching into cut mode.

I'm a total noobie here guys to this board and fitness in general, I've got a friend who sent me a routine plan and it should help. I just want to know if what I'm doing is smart or will I just gain a shitload of weight back as soon as I drop keto after fasting. Also how hard is it to transition out of keto diet? I don't like the idea of having a restrictive diet I just want to be normal and open to things but also obviously eat healthy count carbs etc.

Just fast longer
Eat less after you stop fasting
Not that hard

I mean I'm fat but I don't think I am like morbidly fat or even gross. Should have clarified that I'm not doing this strictly for weight loss, I just want to get fit. I thought fasting was for getting rid of fat stores and jump starting ketosis?

dry fasting fucks my sleep up for some reason man, specially after day 4. I can't get more than 5h

How's your sleep user?

>I mean I'm fat but I don't think I am like morbidly fat or even gross.
What's your BMI?

What do you guys think about drinking carbonated mineral water during a shorter fast, like 48 hours?

completely fine

Why do some people ask questions with obvious answers like this?

I just calculated it using a shit thing and it says 27?

Because I am bored and have nothing to write

I'm assuming you're not muscular so yeah, you're pretty damn chubby. You should spend a lot of time cutting down to ~20 BMI and then switch to a bulk plus exercise routine.

Finished a 120hr fast last night, eased into food with a watery soup. I could have done longer, but I'm planning on doing another later in the month.

Down to 196lbs. I'm a 5'11 guy. My body and mind feels so refleshed. The only disapointing thing is that I didn't get the almost orgasmic taste sensation when I had my first meal like I got with a 3 Day fast I did months ago. Will try to do 168hrs later in the month.

you only get that really orgasmic feeling if you did a water fast without snakejuice.

Yeah when I dry fast, I sleep around 3 hours and when I wake up I don't feel tired, wish I knew this while I was in high school

Anyone else feeling their kidneys work?

how do i break a dryfast of 6 days?

just eat some cucumber and drink apple cider vinegar and baking soda?

see

Is OMAD the ultimate weightloss tool?

OMAD and under 1,000 calories is true god mode

it really depends. The best taste to the world for me is just a lot of water after I get back from a long (like 8-12 miles) run. I usually take a water bottle during runs now tho.

It really is. I eat the following daily and it's only like 550 calories.
>1 can tuna in olive oil w/ pesto
>5 scrambled eggs
>2 cups steamed broccoli

I lose about a pound per day. I'm down to 209lbs from 225 back around christmas.

under 1 calories is more ultimate

Is it possible to be aesthetic with the body of a distance runner? I'm losing a ton of weight for health reasons but don't want to look like a twig. Aiming for 150lbs at 6'1 but might have to settle for 165lbs if I feel like im getting too light.

Last time I had that body was 5 years ago in high school and I remember being a bit of a twig but also getting a ton of attention from girls. Sometimes they would even weigh more than me if they were lanky freaks which I found super hot desu.

You'll look like shit. Older women prefer heavier, more mature men.

Damn, wonderful progress! :D I'm 246, hoping to get around 205-215 within 2 months. Last year I went from 251 to 215 in a month and a half via OMAD

how long should i fast for the first time?

I'm fatass as fuck.

>I'm fatass as fuck.
be more specific. how much do you weight exactly?

It's good that you have experience losing weight, but also unfortunate you gained it back. Be sustainable bro. Remember that you're making long term changes to your diet, you don't get to splurge afterwards...without paying the consequences.

you should go on keto first until you can go without cheating whatsoever. then you can think about fasting. remember to drink lots of water.

I'm stalling hard on my squat; I think I have to stop /fast/ing.

im 5' 5" and weigh 186 lbs.

I've already changed my diet for almost a week now, eating roughly 1500 calories. I use a measuring cup to make sure I don't overeat.

I should be between 110-140 and I'd really like to lose weight fast but I'm afraid I'd gain back all the weight I lost if I fast, even if I don't eat like I used to.

To be fair, I gained all the weight from middle/highschool because I'd just sit at the computer and eat everything in the fucking house. For the last 2 years or so I've been between 185-190 so I don't really eat that much anymore.

How fucked will I be if I OMAD on a ~600 calorie meal?

If your squat was really that valuable you wouldnt be fasting in the first place. Looking good is preferable to squatting a little more. You still squat absolutely nothing in comparison to a pro powerlifter. You could, however, look better if you fast.

You need to get a life if you want to lose weight in the long term. You need to attend classes or hold a job so you arent bored and around food for 16 hours of the day.

Not fucked at all, I am making great progress 15 days into OMAD and I still lift my dumbbells every other day. It's a fuckin ritual for me. it also feels great looking at myself in the mirror every morning seeing myself tighter, more solid, and feeling sore.

First time, just try 16 hours fasts to start with, and gradually increase the amount of hours the more you get used to it.

Keep drinking water though.

Won't it just spike insulin while preventing the body from going into a fully fasted state, causing muscle waste?

Is there a calorie tracker that won't bitch about fasting? Mine won't let me log my day unless I eat the minimum "required".

press the arrows on the top of the meal planner and go forward a day. i never log them i just use it to count calories.

Why does snakemans body look wierd?

Bad frame genetics?

>tfw slept through my feeding window

>acid reflux
>1 week of no problems except when I lay down at night to sleep.
>now I have problems through out the day and need to drink water to keep my chest from burning
Anyone else have this issue?
I don't want to break my fast for calcium pills and you are supposed to take the meds with food.

i gained the weight 10+ years ago and just havent done anything. I work but i used to eat too much still.

I'm more active now than i ever was. still fat though.

/fat/ has a webpage that will tell you where your weight should be every day but it doesn't factor the fast portion and just the 0 calories portion.
You will get better results than it tells you.

Hypertrophied diaphragm from screaming

drink baking soda. it is the opposite of acidic and will neutralize your stomach.

This is about keto and not fasting but I'm just gonna ask in here so I don't clog up the board.

I was planning on starting keto but apparently milk isn't allowed, as someone who has abut 5-6 cups of tea with milk every day that's a bit offputting. Are there any low-carb milk replacements that actually taste like milk? Most either seem to taste of something else (soy, almond), or are far too creamy (literally just cream).

Fuck I have baking powder but no baking soda.
Is it the same thing?

No one said, youd get through without restrictions. Just develop willpower.

Just stop drinking tea with milk.

not for this purpose. baking powder has already been neutralized with some acidic ingredients.

any market should have baking soda

But tea without milk tastes like shit though.

It feels hella nice. It doesn't hurt, but you know absolutely for sure that something is happening that hasn't happened for a long time and that my body is finally properly working.

Poor boy

i drink milk on keto and dont give a fuck

BUT i drink raw milk. so milk that came straight from a cow and was not cooked.

The only thing I can tell you is: either you choose half and half or plain water.

I'm snowed in at the moment so I only have whats on hand.
Well thanks for the answer anyway.

why the fuck wouldnt milk be allowed on keto?

I'm fairly confident he has never focused on aesthetics before and purely on strength on compound lifts. He is also fairly short with a wide muscular frame which might look a bit different than what you're used to.

Depends on what carb limit he set up for himself

>why wouldn't milk be allowed
The high carb content.
One cup of milk is pretty high in carbs when you combine it with your other foods.
It's not forbidden but it something you need to consider.

Holy shit we have 2-3 threads in a 24 hr time period

Did he died?

on day 5 of my first water fast.

im planning to break it next thursday (about 9.5 days total)

i'm wondering if not eating for that long will have fucked up my gut flora. do i need to be careful and eat probiotic yoghurt or something as i come off or is 9 days not long enough to matter at all?

if so what are the non-meme brands (preferably available in australia)

Veeky Forums has finally taken the fasting redpill

Just got off a 7 day fast and eating some kiwis/yogurt. I lost 8lbs of water weight from the 1st 3 days but no fat at all after measurements. What's going on?

>eating some kiwis/yogurt

Anyone else experiencing increased libido while doing OMAD?

don't know what kind of place you're coming from, but I imagine if you didn't practice no drinking (alcahol or sugar drinks), no junk food, no snacking, just healthy set time meals for a few weeks then your insulin might be a little too wack. Take it slow, get used to things first, then try reducing the number of meals a day (3 to 2, 2 to 1), and if you can do that THEN try a multi day fast

Because his neck is fucking huge.

and eat whole foods. to keep the weight off you have to change lifestyle

maybe a European diet, maybe a Japanese diet, figure out what works for you but don't go back to eating the same crappy processed fast food

almond milk bby

I don't want refeeding syndrome faggot.