/fast/ #79 - Please make a new thread before the old one dies edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

STOP ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS AND INSTEAD RESEARCH AND POST YOUR FINDINGS SO WE CAN HAVE AN ACTUAL DISCUSSION. FUCK.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-s-xjsR89XI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first

About to end the third day of my first dry fast.

When should I hydrate myself again?

At the end of your dry fast

The More you know

Why do people get so irrationally angry at fasting?
It's people losing weight by not eating, calm down.

rate my 5 day fast meal break

is it okay to drink sugar free drinks or coffee on a fast?

im fat and want to do something about it, but i have a caffeine dependency
dont think i could go through hunger and withdrawal symptoms at the same time

Somebody in the last thread asked about Magnesium supps in Australia, Coles has a really good, cheap one that comes in a red box.

Reminder

Every time I try to explain it to someone it's like talking to a brick wall. I don't get how people are so unwilling to accept that you don't need to eat every few hours to stay alive.

Water, coffee, or tea. No cream or sugar.

120 hours down. had this meal -- this fast went super smooth. i realized half way through i was fucking up my potassium doses at like 2000mg a day cuz i was using lite salt and no nosalt. fixed that, was even able to toprope rock climb 4 days in.

SW: 192 lbs
CW: 178 lbs (anticipating 4-5 pounds of water gain)
GW: 165 (I want to fight at 170 and walk around at that weight)

i can honestly say i've kicked my sugar addiction. i made a note to fantasize about veggies the entire fast. it worked brehs.

pic related

i had the same experience, it's like people are under a spell

it's hard to admit you've been brainwashed into thinking you have to eat every single day of your life

amazing results, bf%?

no idea. 13%? honestly the real goal of this was two key changes.

>fix when my body expects food
>fix when my body expects food
>fix my sugar cravings

so, I ate veggies and some hard boiled eggs (plus porkrinds heh) at 5PM. Now I won't have to go to slepe hungry. can't wait to get back to seriously exercising

are those progresspics literally 5 days apart?

Falling for the cutting meme may be my worst mistake yet

Four days in to a 10-day fast, longest I've done before was 5-day so I never really worried about refeeding.

When I'm done with this one, do I really need to do like a full day of only plant shit then slowly onto other foods? Or can I eat like a veggie/fruit smoothie around noon and then fat chipotle burrito a few hours later? I generally get some liquid shits after the 5-day fasts but that doesn't really bother me.

yes. im gonna eat once a day now and do a 36-48 each week

A 'concerned' coworker filed a report with HR on me, I had to have a meeting with them to convince them I don't have an eating disorder. Brought a note from my doctor and everything. Since then things have been weird. For example

>Finish editing a batch of files, accidentally mix up two numbers on file naming convention
>"Maybe you're protein deficient, that can cause cognitive problems"

What happened to the Snake Juice recipe in the OP? I can't remember how much salt to mix into my water

That looks like a really weird meal, but good macros. Whatever works for you.

>>"Maybe you're protein deficient, that can cause cognitive problems"
Maybe it's because I haven't been exposed to the nuance of the conversation, but this just looks like workplace harassment.

dude come on it's literally in the op

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

Yeah I was being retarded and wanted to know the measurements like tsp or whatever. I'll figure it out

1 tsp of each per liter/quart of water is a good bet, maybe aim for a heaping tsp of the potassium. I make two liter bottles a day and always keep at least one in the fridge, I think it tastes way better cold.

The amount of sodium/potassium you actually need depends on your body and activity level, so adjust to your own feeling. If you're getting headaches/cloudy head/blurry vision then you need more, if you're shitting yourself then you need less.

Hi, I'm beginning an extended water fast, i.e longer than a seven days, and was wondering if I had to take any supplement. Like something that my body will complain really abd not having while fasting. Thanks.

it was godlike user.

Potassium pills and 1 gram of salt with water.

At least that's what I do.

You do that and there will be no problem.

I can draw 9 hours a day and do cardio for and hour without difficulty.

Thanks man, for the potassium pills, where can I get them ?
I live in France, so it might be more complicated ? Should I ask in some pharmacy ?

What is that?

smoked salmon, 3 hard boiled eggs, 1/4 cup of mixed nuts, some zucchini w/ a lil bit of spice, green beans. and finally the porkrinds. stayin in keto breh

Holy fuck that sounds orgasmic. Gonna eat that after fast.

bad idea to do my first water fast as school starts? dont wanna be sleeping in class

i also had 210 calories of proscuitto. it was legit. gonna knock some cardio out tomorrow morning, eat again around 24 hours after my meal today, then gym

That sounds like a pretty good routine, still haven't decided for one.

Perhaps in a pharmacy.

I bought mine in one of those stores that sell protein powder and things related to fitness.

You should ask in one of those.

I wanna know this too

I'll do that. Thanks you

>prosciutto

>preseasoned food
>doesn't know how to season his own food

Don't you like raw bacon, user? Aren't you a man?

it's hardly considered raw if it's sodium spiked.
yeah i just went shopping and saw that, looked good.

How fucking often is somebody going to ask this fucking question, holy shit you guys are retarded as fuck

>raw
>rô/
>adjective
>1.
>(of food) uncooked

Not since finding out that it smells like rotten corpse, no. Used to be my favorite antipasto too.

Until it gets put in the OP and people don't have to go digging for it, I expect.

Daily reminder that Zero Calorie energy drinks are completely fine and if anyone even attempts to tell you they break your fast they're completely retarded and probably believe that fasting cures cancer.

(You) dipshits are absolutely fucking stupid

The quality of prosciutto is entirely in how it's cured. The outside of the ham is usually rubbed with just salt and sometimes a mix of spices. ... Once cured, prosciutto is usually thinly sliced and eaten as is. In other words, uncooked — although we wouldn't exactly call the meat raw after it's been cured for so long.

it's like cooking without heat

Check the dosage on the pills before buying, often they're only like 100mg/ea so you'd need to take about 30 a day. I bought potassium chloride powder at a health food store, it was $6/40 day's worth. Bonne chance

hey /fast/

Anyone here have any success with OMEOD for weight loss? I'm 5'11 220lb and trying to be sub-200 in 10 weeks. I've been doing 18:6 IF recently and had some good results with that, but it's been very easy so far and I want to step it up. I can't do extended water fasts (any longer than two or three days) for social/logistic reasons.

tl;dr is 20+ lb in 10 weeks with OMEOD feasible?

I have two people at work trying it just because of my success. Results talk, bullshit walks.

does the weight stay down though or could you just transition a fast into a calorie deficit?

>tl;dr is 20+ lb in 10 weeks with OMEOD feasible?
Considering that you get 48 hours of fasting that way, I'm sure you can lose that much.

2 lbs a week is eating ~3000 kcals per meal on your plan. that's a large specialty pizza.

Problem is that as the body transitions into ketosis you enter a brief catabolic window. The body consumes a bit of muscle and converts it to glucose (neoglucogenesis) for the brain just before kicking in the "backup systems"... the body is "holding out" before switching over and going into ketosis because it doesn't like making the switch. This is why you have to exhaust all of the glucose in your liver and blood sugar before you'll kick over fully.

Problem is with One Meal Every Other Day, or Alternate Daily Fasting, or Every Other Day Feeding... is you jump out of ketosis and then slide back in so you spend excessive amounts of time in that catabolic window. If you're going to do this, eat a keto diet for your meals so you're not bouncing in and out of ketosis. Better alternative is to stop fucking eating food and fast for as long as possible.

20 lbs in 10 weeks would be disappointing.

>fasting
>brush teeth
>accidentally swallow a tiny bit toothpaste

Well, I guess the fasting is broken now niggas, I may as well eat a proper meal

5 day fast from Sunday to Friday. Reporting for duty. I ate like 14 hours ago. Feeling swell.

Question! This is my second time trying to start a fast of greater than 24 hours. Both times, around the 28 - 30 hour mark, I get really fuzzy headed and can't think straight. I called it off last time because the feeling hit me an hour before finals at my uni, so I grabbed some food and it got better.

But I'm trying it again, and the same thing is happening. I can't really afford to roll up in my physics class tomorrow and not be mentally sharp - if I miss something, it's just going to compound over the quarter. How long does this feeling last? Can I make it pass more quickly?

>quarter

what uni you at, son

University of Washington. Trying to get into EE and I've got differential equations plus the second iteration of physics, so it's a pretty full plate, academically. Can't really afford to be at less than my best.

seems reasonable

I haven't done a fast longer than ~30 hours myself, but usual answer around here is that eventually you hit the "hunter's high" and feel much more clear

might be a good idea to find a relatively stress-free 48-72 hours to fast and see how you feel after that

I'm just worried about how much muscle in going to lose? Fasting seems so dangerous when in lifting because I won't be gaining anything and what protein is there to repair?

I just do a 6 hour eating window under 1400 calories, low carbs for now.

you need to have potassium salt water read the OP brainlet

How the fuck do I make those weird hunger acid feelings go away? They're painful and drive my instincts to run to the kitchen and eat all the junk food my mom buys

>Better alternative is to stop fucking eating food and fast for as long as possible.

I'd be more open to extended water fasting if it weren't so socially taxing. I catch meals with friends practically every day as of now, and frequently have lunch or dinner meetings for various reasons. While I think I could get away with reducing how many meals I eat (which is the plan), I don't see how anyone with a reasonable social life is able to manage more than a few days of water fasting.

>if it weren't so socially taxing
Implying you have a social life.

Daily reminder that fasting works because it fixes the leptin cycle which gets broken by spiking insulin so often and energy drinks of any kind and any sweetener spikes insulin so you would have to be a delusional fucking addictive piggy to so vehemently defend your precious sugar water. You sound like a mainstream redditor and should just go back there because you clearly gag on mainstream cock daily.

Ugh. I don't know that I have "stress free" in the cards this quarter. And I don't want to wait until spring break. I'll give it until tomorrow morning, and then see if I'm not feeling better. I might do a 5:2 through the quarter if I can't work anything else out.

Find youhr maintenance calories and eat them in as small a window of time as possible. Make fasting a permanent way of eating. Caloric restriction doesn't work as efficiently as fasting, and maintaining with fasting is easy af.

Chances are you didn't eat enough toothpaste to knock you out of ketosis, which is the point not simply not in taking anything.

If it's casual things like that, just tell them you already ate and you're watching your diet. Then sip on coffee/tea/water while they're eating. I've told people I was trying gluten-free (lol) to get out of eating a few times.

if they're your friends shouldn't they support you? wtf?

>every other post in this thread is "I tried explaining fasting to a friend/relative/coworker and they said I was insane and starving myself"

How do I plan workouts around my fast? Like if I work out 3 days a week should I eat ok those days and fast the rest? Does rest period eating matter? Seems like a waste to lift if I lose muscle anyway

>"Hey user, sure you don't want some ribs and beers?"
>"Nah, I'm fine. I'm on a diet"
>"What a fag. Good for you senpai. So, I was telling you, that redhead from the art class had some of the biggest tits..."

This is literally what I do every time I see my friends.

Stop making excuses you fucking nigger.

>this

You don't even need excuses. If they are making fun of you or are trying to discredit you for your choices they did not respect you in the first place. In most cases no one cares for your latest meme diet.

Man I don't know how you turn down alcohol I feel like I can't socialize without it

>>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day
nigga where do i get 4700mg of potassium?

This....pills are max like 150mg.

I'm on a year free of alcohol and cigarettes, (which all my friends understood perfectly because, you know, that's what friends do) but before this year, I did that.

>I feel like I can't socialize without it

Underage or retard.

Probably both.

Fasting keeps you up if anything.

Drink snake potion.

I'm down 10 lbs in 10 days. On my 3rd fast.

First: 72h
Second: 114h
Third: ???

I crave delicious food, but not from a biological sense of hunger. More like, ugh, I know food is delicious, i want to eat that entire loaf of bread...i want to eat that entire bowl of cookies... etc etc

When I refeed I go crazy but its zero-carb. My last refeed started with a 1lb sirloin. I stop eating well before my daily caloric needs because i just can't fit that much food into me in 1 hour. My stomach aches all night.

Sometime the next afternoon I'll feel the first pangs of hunger, but it goes away quick.

I've been using keto sticks and weighing myself. Unsweetened decalf tea and coffee don't seem to have a negative effect, but, if i don't get enough snake juice because I am just drinking hot decaf beverages, that seems to be bad. So, make sure to have enough snake juice - I target at least 1 liter per day.

My energy level is good. I did some physical labor today and felt fine.

bump
am i missing something? where do i get 4700mg of potassium?

Lite-salt
No salt
Look it up.
youtu.be/-s-xjsR89XI

why would you assume anyone who isnt like you is either of those

As long as you take your salts and potassium, you can do anything.

I can go to school with no problem.

Because not being able to socialize without alcohol is for insecure teenagers and retards.

thanks

reposting because no one actually told me
how necessary is potassium during 1-5 day fasts? asking because its annoying to get potassium supps in aus

very necessary. your muscles will start twitching and your legs will feel light and ull just feel like shit in general

sounds like you might be addicted

In my experience, the longest you can manage without electrolyte supps is 48 hrs. You can buy it on Amazon if none of the local fitness/health stores have it.

Just gradually cut it down man, it'll be fine. I had anxiety most of my life and couldn't talk to strangers when out at night without being wasted.

>I catch meals with friends practically every day
How much do you make a year to afford to eat out EVERY FUCKING DAY?

Rich people are so fucking gluttonous and wasteful, lazy and greedy. You can just sip some tea while they eat but no you're all just a bunch of fat fucking kikes.

Do you run/play sports?

I'm at uni and live in a dorm you autist

get a grip

To be fair, NoSalt (and equivalents) can be hard to get hold of. Potassium Chloride is basically non existent in New Zealand for example (apart from this shitty lite-salt, which has a mix of sodium and potassium - but to get required amount of potassium, you'd also be consuming a truckload of sodium at the same time).
I had to get my brother to bring some NoSalt down with him when he was coming back from Canada.
Ordering online doesn't do shit - no one ships here, and if they do, it's about $20 per container. Fuck that.