Are rest days essential?

>Newfag
>Been going to the gym for a month now
>Mostly due to stress, have been hitting it every day and hard too
>Feels good
>Friends who are kind of into lifting have told me to take it easy or risk injury/lack of gains
Are they right? I've only taken maybe 2 or 3 days off in the month I've been hitting it.

You've been going every day for a month and haven't gotten sore once? What exactly do you do at the gym? smoke?

Psychologically I feel like I could go every day. Physically though I notice that my performance starts to suffer without adequate recovery. But since you've only been going for a month you might be able to handle it. Just make sure you eat and sleep enough, get enough water and nutrients.

Ive been going every day for 3 yrs now. I notice when i skip a day my body crashes and i feel mega lethargic until i lift again or have a good week off.

You figure out eventually how to make gains while lifting every day. If you get the urge to try it out im sure you will naturally find the method to make it work.

Well. You might get away with it, you might injure yourself and have to sit out for weeks. Only time will tell.

I personally wish i had taken more rest(cardio)days instead of injuring myself. having to do half routines half cardio to get a proper gym session while waiting for my injuries to heal sucks the motivation right out of you

Only novice lifters go every day

might over train urself

But PPLPPLx is good and that's basically every day.

New years resolutioners please go.
You can lift dsily and make gains.
t. Guy who lifts daily and lifts more than you while probably being younger.

>brosplits
>good
kek

>soyboy half squats 225 and thinks he's hot shit
cute

t. 30 year old manlet lifting 5lb dumbbells
desu that's more than what 90% of Veeky Forums lifts anyway

>half squats
>in the smith machine
>with a belt
>and straps because why not

No
Yes

I mean. If you are a complete noob and eat a ton while working out hard then its possible to go every day for a while. But realistically you NEED rest days to recover.

Your body gets strengthened through muscle exhaustion if it never recovers you dont strengthen as much irrc. Personally i like 5 days a week. I cant imagine doing a proper leg day and somehow still getting a good work out in the very next day.

Go hard and get tired. Give yourself 1 day to recover. I like PPL (Off) PP (off) routine. Plus it gives you normal downtime. Spending everyday in the gym is kind of a time waster depending on what you do. If you DO go i would sooner suggest a carioday and yoga for better flexibility. Avoiding injuries doing less high intensity workouts and getting crucial flexibility is way more important than 1 extra day of back.

yes, they are essential, if you are not fried after your workout days your not going heavy enough

>PPL is a brosplit
I want new years fags to leave

Like pretty much everything in fitness, it's diminishing returns. You can spend 2 hours every day at the gym and you will get gains, but since you have less recovery time, and you are more worn out, you can't go as hard, you are not getting the same gains to time ratio as the 3-4 day a week regimens. You are best to take it slow, consolidate your workouts into 3 days for a while. It's less of a time waster in the long run to miss out on a little bit of gains by slightly underworking than it is to have to stop lifting for 3-6 months or more because of an injury. If after 3 months you find that the 3 a week isn't doing it for you, then add an extra day and give that a month or two.

I squat every day and am currently alternating upper push/pull. Shit works great.

>Every day
Look up "systemic fatigue" and "localized fatigue"

Basically if you hit the same body part every day hard with any kind of decent volume you'll generate a fuck ton of both localized and systemic fatigue even with massive caloric surpluses and lots of sleep. If you hit the gym every day hard with decent volume but hit different muscles, then you'll minimize localized fatigue but still have a problem with systemic fatigue.

At least one day of rest is normally enough to negate this, until volumes and frequencies are getting too high. Some can and do lift daily with one or two lifts but the volumes are low enough that fatigue accumulation over a period of days is not an issue.

Also, this question is retarded because workout frequency is just one variable within a training program and depending on volume, intensities, goals, exercise selections and many other factors, daily training could be totally stupid, completely necessary, and anything in between. There is no answer to your question.

Good advice

if i can only do a few knee pushups (upper body of a woman, i know) do you think doing them everyday will get me closer to full pushups quicker, or should i try more volume but with a rest day?