Are pullups a good exercise/fit/ or are they a meme exercise?

Are pullups a good exercise/fit/ or are they a meme exercise?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UfhT0OSUU0w&ab_channel=Calisthenicmovement
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why would a compound lift be a meme you fucking normie

>compound lift
>no barbell

how's it a compound lift without a barbell

lmao

pullups/chinups have the largest impact on your physique of any lift probably, so solid non-meme exercise

>he doesn't lift his heels to his ass to rest the barbell behind his knees.

What did he mean by this?

Pullups are one of the best upper body exercises in existence, along with dips and pushups.

This

You can get a good physique just from doing only pullups and chinups

It's not a compound lift without a barbell

Chins and pulls literally the best exercises after "the big three" and OHP.

>set squat rack safeties all the way to the top
>put a barbell on them
>hang off the barbell and do pullups
>tfw ive now transformed pullups into a compound move

Alright Veeky Forums I can't fuckig sort through the information and figure it out

Are chinups a bicep exercise or not? Is it broscience or legit?

They're a back exercise

Here's a quick rundown
youtube.com/watch?v=UfhT0OSUU0w&ab_channel=Calisthenicmovement

It's a back exercise with good impact on the bicep.

It's good in that if you could only do one exercise, it'd be a top contender (though obviously still inferior to deadlift)

But it's also a meme exercise in that it doesn't offer much in a well rounded routine that has access to a gym, being a body weight exercise. So you see a lot of manlets obsess with it, and people afraid of going to a gym, and a little sprinkling of retards brainwashed into giving a shit about it (muhreens).

Bodyweight exercises should be recommend more to all the fatties and dyel on here. I mean basic training was a joke for anyone in shape. But it doesn't mean it's not effective.

They take a picture of you in uniform as soon as you join. You don't get the picture back till around the end of 9 weeks.

The transformation for some of these lard asses was insane. My transformation was very minor I was a dyel when I joined. People say my arms were so much bigger, my face was more defined.

Agreed. In highschool I had a workout class where we just sat in a indoor gym for 40 minutes and worked out. I was too scared to do squats or benchs so all I did was machine garbage, Deadies, and pullups. My deads were average but holy shit I can blow through 20 pullups like they were nothing. Did atleast 40 a day in that class and only recently began going to a gym. Because of all those pull ups I did my back and traps are god tier for someone who's done basically nothing. The only hard part of pull ups is actually being able to do one.

Are you actually retarded or pretending to be retarded

This is honestly the best video I've ever seen on the subject. I clicked the link expecting some broscience shit and was pleasantly surprised and even learned something.

>top contender for one of the best lifts if you can only do one
>doesn't offer much

m8 that's bullshit and you know it. It doesn't offer much to your powerlifting routine where you want massively strong and heavy legs. Not every routine is like that, and plenty find benefit in it.

It's a meme it doesn't do shit for aesthetics

> It doesn't offer much to your powerlifting routine where you want massively strong and heavy legs

It also doesn't do much for aesthetics compared to anything you could do to target biceps, lats, you name it. It also won't help you if you are into running. It won't help you in most ways. But I do consider it a good metric to see if you are strong enough for your own body weight. I'd be sad if I was ever unable to, even at my heaviest, do something close to 10 good form pull ups. Training high rep pull ups is a somewhat pointless exercise if you're not some sort of rock climber, and even then I bet they have better ways of training that sort of thing.

done properly: primary exercise, but also trains biceps
done wrong: pretty much a bicep isolation exercise.

>t. Did it wrong for a while

primary back*

I literally just do pull ups, chin ups, planks and hanging leg raises and I look great to normies

Not gonna lie, I kinda agree, the biggest guys at my gym (not strongest, most muscle/aesthetic) don't do pullups, if they do it's half rep chit form or the assisted pullup machine.

Most guys who say they got big from pullups/chins probably had good lat insertions or got big lats from some other back exercise but attribute it to pullups which is bullchit.

if my only concern was aesthetics, deadlifts wouldn't make the cut, i would pick chinups

How would deadlifts not make the aesthetic cut?

don't forget the weight clips you fuck

>tfw you learned to activate your spatulas and your pull-up count goes up several

They're a staple lift/movement for both calisthenics and weight training

This is gonna sound absolutely horrible
but there's nowhere i can do pull-ups and chin ups neither at home or my gym.

BUT i can do lat-pulldowns, do these do practically the same thing?
Just do the "chin-ups" narrow grip, and "pull-ups" wide grip?

>run to park
>go to pullup bars or monkey bars.

Thats what I do.
any questions?

>gym with no pullup bar

You living in some kind of third world country?

I used think that these types of threads were just bait, but lately I operate under the assumption that Veeky Forums is just full of retards..
Either way it's true I guess.

so you run to the park, do your pull ups, and then run as fast as you can back to the gym to do the rest?

yeah
fucking australia man, jesus christ what a bunch of absolute retards.
that being said the gym is part of the accomodation package and i can't afford better.

i cant do a single pull or chin up and i cant do dips either. how do i fix this

Just max out the lat pulldown machine and hang from that.

Lose weight while doing negatives

I'm a cardio/ calisthenics. I refuse to pay money to go to the gym. Thread mills suck for running. Also, I have a fear of gym showers(I used to have really bad planters warts dispite wearing shower shoes.)

Wtf are you on about. 3 sets x 3 days/wk will do more for your aesthetics than literally anything

But
Is 3x chins
AND 3x pullups recommended?

>I have a fear of gym showers
DICKLET

I was in the Army, I had no issues with showers then. I wore shower shoes and got planters warts so fucking bad. It took more then 2 months of constant apple cider vinegar.

because whether you like it or not, aesthetics are primarily defined by what your upper body looks like, and deadlifts aren't going to do nearly as much in that respect as pullups or chinups would

you'll get some bigger traps and bigger forearms, your upper back from deadlifts alone would be entirely unimpressive and your arms would also look like piping hot dogshit

Could work if user was female

Hands down best lat exercise. But don't fall for the bodyweight meme, add weight as you would anything else.

You can remove those from ACV? And to think I used insurance to laser those things off....