So...

So, do you think this body was imagined by an artist or Greeks were so high test back then that some guy could achieve this by lifting boulders and oxen?

Other urls found in this thread:

econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/47594/1/574888918.pdf
vimeo.com/14413956
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What makes you think this not possible natty even today?

Too juicy for a 10 feet guy.

Modern athletes struggle to achieve athletic feats accredited to average Greek men.

Like at the battle of Marathon, the Athenians ran for 1,500 feet while wearing full hoplite armor. Both Persian and Greek sources attest to this feat and the Persians, who had conquered hundreds of peoples, had never once seen such a thing and they started to run away, while the Athenian hoplites continued to chase them down at a jogging pace while casually murdering hundreds of Persians, who couldn't run as fast as the Greeks even wearing nothing but light armor and wicker shields.

The speeds that Greek sources generally agree that triremes moved at in battles can only be replicated by teams of extremely skilled rowers in ideal water conditions. The average Greek was basically a master race Chad by today's standards, which is why Alexander's army, composed mostly of Greeks and Macedonians was able to Chad its way across the world, murdering virgin twinkcel losers from Anatolia to India.

Battlefield feats generally speaking are largely exaggerated through history, regardless of the nation reporting on them. It's kind of how the Saxons reported the vikings to be giant monsters, when in reality they were like an average height of slightly over 6 foot.

As far as running 1,500 feet in hoplite armor, battlefield strategy (even back then) discouraged this type of thing since it was unnecessarily tiring to the advancing forces. By the time the troops reached the enemy they would be in a less than optimal condition to initiate a fight. Perhaps it is true that the Persian forces saw their advance and ran away all the while their slowest forces got cut down. I don't see this as a testament to the physical conditioning of Ancient Greek individuals compared to men today.

Forensic anthropologists have studied the remains of many Ancient Greek remains and found that the average height of a Greek male was 5' 3.8". Modern trends show that due to improved access to calories and nutrition average heights of both mend and women have improved since ancient times. I find it hard to believe that an army of 5' 3" manlets wearing heavy bronze armor managed to run faster than a skilled row team. I'll chalk this one up to battlefield hyperbole.

it's attainable after about 20 years of training

He comes to our humble thread with facts that I just verified on google and le wiki and you pull your entire blog post out of your ass because you are a teenage contrarian. Thank you so much for being part of this.

Trips of truth. Ancient Greeks were based. They idealised physical prowess and trained their bodies from childhood until death. They invented the Olympics ffs. We still compete in sports based on activities they used as training 3-4000 years ago.

>those droopy pecs
>the flab

yeah, he's not even close to the athleticism of an ancient greek. hmph.

never stop doing this

A challenger appears.

greeks were very gay so chiseling your dream stud and making his dick small (for pain-free insertions) was a dream

Wrong Vikings were on average 6 foot or below

This is bait, right?

Idealising physical fitness =/= being more physically capable than modern people of today.

Likewise, creating a competition for sports =/= being the most capable at doing it themselves.

>Likewise, creating a competition for sports =/= being the most capable at doing it themselves.
Long jump record of ancient olympics was circa 15 meters. Of course people like you claim it must have been a triple jump, but because then it would be so unimpressice, that they claim it must be a weighted triple jump.

Nice strawman bro, maybe one day you'll be able to create a meaningful argument without misrepresenting others views.

a jog of 1500ft with 70lbs of armor is a feat?

>Idealising physical fitness =/= being more physically capable than modern people of today.
But actually it does. Being physically active from day 1, all day, every day, will make you bigger, stronger and faster than couch potatoes of today, that work out 3x a week and think they are fit
.>The speeds that Greek sources generally agree that triremes moved at in battles can only be replicated by teams of extremely skilled rowers in ideal water conditions.
And that only for short periods of time, whereas ancient greeks would keep up those speeds for hours.

They are exaggerated. The scuptures are generally Heroes/Gods/Demi-Gods, and are not supposed to be seen as totally human. OP's pic is of Heracles, who is "more than human", which is why he's revered as a Hero. If the body as able to be obtained by a mortal, it wouldn't be special, thus the features and muscles are exaggerated. It's not hard to do once you understand anatomy, you just add a bit more mass. The same way someone can photoshop a person to be bigger than physically possible simply by knowing how the body is shaped.
>t. artist

No where near 6 foot. The natives were 6 foot and up and the Vikings reported them to be massive in comparison. They actually thought they were trolls due to their large size and stone weapons

Yeah nice strawmen.
>That old greek was so much better than we are today.
>This can not be!
>Even though the greeks make no mention of it, it must be a triple jump...

That’s a Roman rendition and they tend to over exaggerate the aesthetics on their sculptures. Which is why they fail to meet the standards of the original statues created by the sculptors of Helias.

Pic related is a Greek statue depicting a Greek athlete in the Contrapposto pose.

Pic related is what fit Greeks look like back then. Statues of Heracles were half Gods to begin with and they were the ideal to strive for he average Helias citizen.

You know athletes today have very different looks depending on their discipline.
So both the statue you posted as ell as Herakles could be based on real athletes.

Pic related is either Poseidon or Zeus.

>tfw Heracles was more aesthetic than them

He’s like Gohan. Hybrids are stronger than pure bloods.

Modern records
Long jump
8.95 m
Triple jump
18.29 m

Both probably PED asisted. So a 15 metres long jump by a human is very doubtful!
The weighted triple jump that scientists concluded this must have been is the most likely possibility.

Forgot pic. Derp

>But actually it does.
No, it doesn't. I idealise physical fitness, this does not mean that I'm more physically fit than others.

>Being physically active from day 1, all day, every day, will make you bigger, stronger and faster than couch potatoes of today
Not necessarily true, ancient civilizations did not have access to high calorie foods like we do today. Anthropologists studying Ancient Greece have found that "accurate" depictions of hoplites from Ancient Greek arts are basically a bunch of short manlet twinks with cute little six packs.

Stop jerking it to marble statues of Greek Gods thinking that that's how athletes and soldiers back then looked. Generally speaking, a modern average male with an average height of 5' 10" is going to have a greater genetic potential for athletics than a 5' 3" guy with less access to food providing optimal macronutrient needs.

While I'm inclined to agree with you on this one, I think it's important to remember the (by today's standards) extraordinary feats of strength/endurance it took just to live back then.

It's easy to discount all examples as pure hyperbole but if you've ever spent a season living off the land, you'd be surprised how jacked you can get, assuming you're a good hunter.

>Helias
Just fucking say Greece if you can't type

even if they were 5'3 (which is realistic), you have to keep in mind, over the last hundreds/thousands of years, average height has increased steadily, so 5'3 then mightve been like being 5'8 now. and it doesnt matter how short you are if the enemy army is even more malnourished and average 5'0''

epic meme bro !! xD

>you have to keep in mind, over the last hundreds/thousands of years
This is what I am saying. I am not commenting that the Greeks weren't in better shape than their rivals at the time. I have no issue with that statement, because they were. However, believing that Ancient Greeks were more physically capable than soldiers of today, or that they as an ancient civilization created athletes that match those of modern day is asinine.

Yes, that particular picture is of a Roman statue. But the point remains the same about Greek statues.
>pic related
>made by three Greek artists

They had a model who posed for the scultpure, obviously, but the proportions and muscle size were exaggerated for epic effect.

also
>Contrapposto
>Flexing your high school art class knowledge on an Nicaraguan coal mining forum

>high school art class knowledge

It was literally on Wikipedia, nigger

Just search for Battle of Marathon, instead of supposing they couldn't do that.

>implying people don't straight make shit up
>implying people don't overhype their enemies capabilities at times

look at WW2 and you can see overhyped shit everywhere. every allied tank crew claimed to be fighting shit like panthers and tigers when they were fighting field guns and stug IIIs.

you don't think a bunch of ancient greeks would overhype their abilities? nor a bunch of scared persians might overhype their opponents abilities too?

>The examination of skeletons from different localities in Scandinavia reveals that the average height of the Vikings was a little less than that of today: men were about 5 ft 7-3/4 in. tall and women 5 ft 2-1/2 in.

Saxons were 5'6 while vikings depending on era and country were 5'6-5'9 on average

thats a roman statue

>tfw no 5'2" danish gf

>They are exaggerated
Nope.

Someone did the measurements here, they are not outlandish at all.

>The natives were 6 foot
Americans believe the darnedest of things.

>The average adult male Plains Indian stood 172.6 centimeters tall -- about 5 feet 8 inches. The next tallest people in the world at that time were Australian men, who averaged 172 centimeters. European American men of the time averaged 171 centimeters tall, and men living in European countries were typically several centimeters shorter.

Look, there is a 7' 1000+lb green guy somewhere because there is figures of it

>a modern average male with an average height of 5' 10" is going to have a greater genetic potential for athletics than a 5' 3"
He fell for the manlet meme

It contains muscles that don't exist, so yes, it was imagined.

>woot?

What part confused you? There are muscles in that sculpture that do not exist. Greeks did it all the time because it was aesthetic.

Show us which muscles

Hercules represent a demigod.
This is how men thought a god would look like.

In the future there'll still be idiots like you looking at ancient Rob Liefeld comics and wondering how 20th century men were so swole.

It doesnt have history claiming it was real, though.

That's because that was their job and life. By age 30 every man could have easily had 10000 hours of experience rowing. He will obviously be superior to a rower today, who might only practice for an hour or two a few days a week.

Does not matter why. They were more athletic.
People today might be able to get to the same level but don't.

>practice a movement 8-12 hours a day for the majority of their adult life
>surprised they are better than your modern guy who does it as a hobby 5 hours a week

Like I said, Battlefield feats are almost always hyperbolic. Did they light jog 1000-1500 feet in 50-85 lbs of armor on a slight decline? Most probably. Did they sprint 1500 feet so fast that modern day athletes can not replicate it? Most definitely not.

Greek commanders are known for being superior battlefield tacticians. No battlefield commander worth a shit of ANY era has their advancing army all out sprint to their enemy's position. It creates too much of an opportunity for a break in the ranks that splits your advance or for a small collective exhaustion among your soldiers that reduces their capacity to fight.

As far as me googling the Battle of Marathon, I just did. Did you guys seriously only read the first sentence of the wiki and take it as fact? These are the following sentences to the statement that they ran 1500 feet: "More likely, they marched until they reached the limit of the archers' effectiveness, the "beaten zone" (roughly 200 meters), and then broke into a run towards their enemy.[87] Another possibility is that they ran up to the 200 meter-mark in broken ranks, and then reformed for the march into battle from there. Herodotus suggests that this was the first time a Greek army ran into battle in this way; this was probably because it was the first time that a Greek army had faced an enemy composed primarily of missile troops."

How many world record holders regardless of weight class are 5' 3"?

As 5'3" is an exceptional short height for men nowadays, not many. Also, that the average was 5'3", does not mean everyone was.

Thing with all these statues being posted in threads are people are generalising all of Greek art to represent ideals etc, when in reality it the ideals changed hugely from the Archaic to the Hellenistic period, just compare how they initially copied Egyptian sculpture in Kouros, then strove for realism in Kritios and Blonde Boy, then aimed for the perfect male body with sculpture such as Doryphoros, but then moved to Praxiteles' huamnisation of slender, youthful gods.
There is so much that can be taken from Greek sculpture, architecture and literature concerning ideals. They clearly admired both slender, youthful bodies and built warriors bodies, but what gets sculpted depends on the context of the time and the function of the piece. There was a distinct move from realism after around 480BC though.

Bet you think there were 5 million soldiers in the Persian army as well, because Herodotus and Persians claim it? Ancient history isn't fact mate

>Also, that the average was 5'3", does not mean everyone was.
You understand what a normal distribution is, right? Also, how does this post rebuttal against my statement? If the genetic potential for a person that is 5' 3" is the same as as person that is 5' 10", we would see elite level record holders that are slightly over 5 feet tall. But we don't, because a key factor in athletic ability is height.

>7'
lol, rdj and the others are really small, because I always thought he was 9-10'

They ate onions everyday

>Also, how does this post rebuttal against my statement?
Not every response someonme makes towards you is a rebuttal.

since this statue is from the "classic-period" it is more or less an imagined ideal
not that it wasn't unachievable, but still not shows your average athlete at this time

you aren't wrong, but this is a roman copy of a greek original
(by the way, the original was a bronze statue)

that pic is not of an ancient greek statue
it is a 19th century work by Anton Paul Wagner as decoration of the vienna hofburg

They took artistic license and embellished their artwork with things such as muscles that don't exist on humans. It's an artistic rendering, not an exact copy.

They were 5'3". Manlet gains everywhere

>Forensic anthropologists have studied the remains of many Ancient Greek remains and found that the average height of a Greek male was 5' 3.8".
At what time? Antiquity was long.

Source: econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/47594/1/574888918.pdf

Keep in mind that chart is of Europe as a whole. If you want the detailed break down of the Mediterranean you'll have to look through the journal I posted.

vimeo.com/14413956

>Thing with all these statues being posted in threads are people are generalising all of Greek art to represent ideals etc
I don't think anyone said or implied this but in the most part they do. I obviously can't tell what your experience with this culture is, but marble statues were a hobby of the higher class, and not only that but people who were both rich and powerful(politically). Other times they are just offerings (for example Kouros) for any reason (for example their son died) and other times they are artistic pieces meant to decorate the temples. Still as offerings to the gods but as well as a showoff of the artistic capabilities(read money-power) and they surely represented the ideals of the people. Exactly because they were there to inspire the people. So, not every statue was a high value piece of art and not every statue holds the same purpose.
Also to address something you are completely disregarding, we have undoubtful sources that state very well how being and remaining fit was the standard for the free folks in many hellenic cities and in different periods of time, so it was part of the culture.
>There was a distinct move from realism after around 480BC though.
Just double checking here in case my english fail me, you are implying that after 480bc hellenic statues became more unrealistic?
That's simply not true, even if you mean it by body proportions or by the themes represented. They were pretty idolized before that, maybe not with the same elegance. Hercules' statues on acropolis museum (~650bc) comes to mind instantly.

Vikings were not 6ft tall

holy kek

Ya I was making a guess for the purpose of illustrating a point. The point being that they weren't nearly as tall as legends and history made them sound. Basically stating that just because it's been put into writing or recorded in history doesn't mean it isn't a stark exaggeration.

Which ones?

I think you misunderstood me, I meant that people were making generalizations about all of ancient Greece but not thinking about how the relationship between realism and ideals shifted throughout the periods. I agree with the fact that sculpture always represents some ideals.
>after 480bc hellenic statues became more unrealistic
Yes, but it was unrealistic before that. 480BC is around the point that realism was first achieved in classical sculpture, in pose, emotion and anatomy. Sculptors then moved away from this. Before 480BC sculpture had very little realism. Just compare the dying warriors on the two pediments of the temple of Aphia at Aegina and the huge sculptural leap from rigidness and unrealistic depictions of the body is clear.

Just wanted to add that the archaic smile is probably the clearest indication that pre-480BC artists of course had very little interest in realism

what if I told you that the statue is idealized ? It's pretty much the same body type.

Amerindians are mongoloid midgets.

More like he said that because he's fat and insecure. People today tend to be sedentary and gluttonous. Doesn't help that fay journalists make false claims about what's physically possible. If people would be willing to endure the pain of great athletic achievement, they physically could. Anyone whose done fasted cardio knows people's beliefs about how the body works are warped and incorrect.