I read Starting Strength from cover to cover a few years ago...

I read Starting Strength from cover to cover a few years ago. I don't recall that it explained how you do the deadlift other than the lifting technique. I mean it didn't explain the programming for the deadlift, if you should go to failure etc. Or did it? Or is that explained in the book Practical Programming? I did the Starting Strength program in the past but without the deadlift and the power clean. Now I don't work out at all. But I'm looking to start working out again hopefully soon, and this time I want to include the deadlift but then I need to get it right. I guess I'll reread Starting Strength and I'll also read Practical Programming which I've bought, but I'm a slow reader and it would be helpful to know whether that info is there or not, and if so where.

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/get-started/programs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It attempts to justifies the retarded volume for DLs by trying to convince the reader that, through its own convictions, the Rippetoe's low bar squat is greatest movement to ever be conceived by mankind with great carry over, so great that 1x5 once a week and IIRC in later phases once two weeks is enough, while reminding you that 1x a week is already the max frequency your body can handle without combusting spontaneously anyways.

Clearly didn't read the book, it's 1.5x per week. Guys get to 4 plates for 5 reps in like 4 months on that program. Denying that SS doesn't get you strong in the lower body is fucking retarded, sorry

>Guys get to 4 plates for 5 reps in like 4 months on that program.
GTFO Thrall

>it's 1.5x per week
Your literally agreeing with what I said, once two weeks, as in later phases you alternate DLs and Power cleans.
>Guys get to 4 plates for 5 reps in like 4 months on that program.
I never contested this point or even mentioned it
>Denying that SS doesn't get you strong in the lower body is fucking retarded, sorry
I never contested this point[2], trust we all can assure that is what happens and much more :)

Such great books and philosophy.

This happens all the time. Thrall is a reddit tier DYEL.

If a program has heavy squats most every day, it doesn't have room for much deadlifting, which is part of the reason why the low volume. They're also very easy to overload/overwork.
Clearly the other guy hasn't read the book, but I'm not sure you have, either.
The SECOND phase has deads every other workout, alternated with power cleans, which is 3x/2w or 1.5x per week, but that's only the SECOND phase.
Third phase is once the power clean form looks good, then every other session is back extensions or ghr with chins, and every other session alternates cleans and deads, which is 3x deads in FOUR weeks.
Ideally you should never go to failure ever on SS or any of Rippetoe's programming. You really shouldn't very often try a weight that you can't make for the full number of reps, he recommends that you switch the rep schemes BEFORE stalling out.
For instance, when squat 3x5 on every session is about to be maxed out, or when it stalls, do heavy squats on mon/fri and do light squats on wed. Then do 1x5 +2x5 backoff on mon/fri and light on wed. OR possibly go to 3x3 instead of 3x5. Power cleans might go to 4x2 instead of 5x3. Etc.
For the deadlift specifically, when 1x5 is too much, drop reps and target more weight at 1x3.
Once you've gotten every ounce of progression out of this program, which the book says lasts 3 to 9 months for most trainees, then go to a program designed for intermediates.

So what is the problem? SS promises strength and delivers on it with it's programming. What reason do you have to discredit the volume, given that it does exactly what it's supposed to time and time again for new lifters?

You quite clearly didn't know that it's 1.5x per week, your original post claims it's 1x a week, so you should admit that you don't know what you're talking about.

If you get to 4 plates X 5 in 4 months with good form you're obviously getting good results on any program.

>1x5 once a week
stupid fuck

>You quite clearly didn't know that it's 1.5x per week, your original post claims it's 1x a week, so you should admit that you don't know what you're talking about.
Maybe you should admit it, too.
SS has several phases. Most phases have a different frequency of deadlifting.
Phase I deadlifts every session. It lasts until the dead is well ahead of the squat, you're adding more than 5lbs/session.
Phase II deadlifts every other session, alternated with the clean. It lasts until the clean form looks good.
Phase III deadlifts every fourth session, cleans every fourth session, and has back ext/ghr + chins every other session. This phase lasts until the lifts start stalling, it is the longest phase of the program.
Phase IV has the same frequency of lifts but introduces backoffs/light squats and reduced rep targets for lifts. This is usually only a few weeks to milk the last bits out.

>I did the Starting Strength program in the past but without the deadlift and the power clean.
YNDTP

You mong, the book includes dozens of pages on the deadlift and includes how to program them, in detail, through all three phases of SS. It also discussed rep schemes. There's no way you read it cover to cover and somehow missed the meat of the book.

>It lasts until the clean form looks good.
??
so you just master the clean form and then immediately start pulling less frequently?

Deadlifts are EVERY workout like squats at the beginning of Starting Strength.

The program makes up for the low deadlift volume by increasing the loads much faster.

The reader is told to add power cleans only after “the freshness of the deadlift has worn off.” You are supposed to get really confident in your deadlift technique and to effecitvily get to “intermediate-ish” deadlifting much faster than the squat.

In the end, power cleans act like a light deadlift day... just like how there is a light squat day near the end of the whole thing.

SS has 3 phases, not 4. startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

And yes I've read the book too.

Yep. All 5 phases as described are in PPST3RD, here is a screenshot.

Typo, 4 phases.
Read further, asshole. The light days and decreasing reps are the final and fourth phase.

nb4 he says "advanced novice" section isn't a part of the ss program

Ok I admit, I didn't know there was more than 1 phase. However my main reason for posting ITT was to call the other guy out about SS DL volume being insufficient when it clearly works very well.

nb4 someone mentions that Practical Programming has a fat guy routine with leg press that could potential make for 5 phases of Starting Strength.

>Denying that SS doesn't get you strong in the lower body is fucking retarded
Nobody denies that.

Except the user who thinks the volume is insufficient.

You can't read. There are only three phases. T h r e e. Those letters spell "three" (3).
Advanced novice is literally phase 3. You need to make some brain gains, bro.

You are obiously a liberal because you can't grasp understand the point the other person is making

What was their point, then? Looks to me like shitting on SS despite it working.