I've been reading about how vitamin D supplements can help alleviate mild depression and help regulate circadian rhythm...

I've been reading about how vitamin D supplements can help alleviate mild depression and help regulate circadian rhythm. Does anyone have experience with this? I find throughout the day I'll lose train of thought, feel lost in what to do, or find it hard to enjoy things I do for fun for periods of time longer than 10-15 minutes (mostly because I will lose concentration)

Also; any other suggestions for supplements or other things that can help alleviate mild depression are appreciated.

bumping for interest

bumping for input

I use vitamin d3 because its winter and Iam mostly indoors.
I take about 10000iu daily and Iam quite positive it helps with my mood and my sleeping patterns. Since I started taking the D I have a constant sleeping pattern and I feel happier in general.

dunno man, cant tell you more besides that. you should just try it out for a few weeks or months and see if it helps you. you can buy it dirt cheap on amazon.

Sounds great. I'm on a military base, and none of the stores are open this weekend. They should have some Vitamin D though, I'll definitely get some.

I take 4000 iu daily and it helps with living in shitty rainy Seattle big time. Draatically improved my mood and sleep.
Can’t wait to move somewhere with real sunshine

just dont chicken out on your dosage, 500iu or 1-2 k wont make a difference.
go for 10000iu or something around that.

you can buy 20000iu pills and take one every second day or take 2 and and dont take another for the rest of the week.

Is there a difference between D3 and others?

I've been doing 5k, is that enough?

I stay indoors all day pretty much also, doctor told me I had a Vitamin D deficiency and told me to go take 5000+2000 daily, been doing so for three months now, I'l get my blood test done again in 20 days or so and results from my doctor in 25~

But it did improve my mood when I first started taking it, it felt like smoking weed to a much lower extent.

I dont even know if there are others, I only know d3 and thats whats mostly sold online or in stores.
depends on how much sunlight you get during the day. I personally started with 500iu and ramped up my dosage until I could feel a big difference in my mood/sleeping pattern. That was around the 10k dosage mark. There are a lot of new studies that show that regular recommanded dosage of vitamin d3 is way to low for the regular human.

so dunno, 5k would be to low for me but might be enough for you.

bump

Vitamin A recytyl acetat, Vitamin K2 mk2

What would these do? What is common side effects of someone deficient in these?

Vitamin D helped a shitload with my sex drive. It's a marked difference when I'm deficient vs when I've been taking them. I've been taking 3000 iu but considering upping it.

Does anyone suggest a certain vitamin D supplement? Or it doesn't matter what I pick?

It doesn't really matter. Most stores will only carry 500-1000IU, NatureMade makes a good 1000iu and the pills are very tiny so it's easy to take 5-10 of them in one go with some water. Or, you can order them online in 5,000-10,000IU tablets. I prefer to buy things in person when available, but either way the only thing that matters is it containing the vitamin.

I'm taking 2000 IU a daily after a 10000 IU "loading" phase.
But I live in a tropical country with burning sun, so I'm just trying to make up for the fact that I barely walk outside.

>i don't know bio-chemistry, nutrition or physiology
>better give advice on supplements to teenagers online
faggot

Appreciate your response user thanks

Of course

Hope it helps you

Real talk, how much IU do I need per day.
I only go outside to study or go to the gym and the weather is utter trash.

5000-10000IU a day would probably be ideal

thanks, I'll try it out.

btw guys all the vitamin D studies that said you need 10K were proven bullshit

over 5K/day is going to cause your heart to calcify

stop taking it

stop taking Vitamin D

source? i want to read the article too

I've been taking 5000IU daily for four years. I have experienced depressive episodes for most of my life and the effects of vitamin D have been minimal. My circadian rhythm is definitely on track, whereas before the vitamin D my sleep was completely fucked up. I would have to say that other lifestyle changes and a general awareness of my outlook have been the biggest influence on these two things, though. A supplement I have noticed increased general cognitive performance with is N-acetyl cysteine. I wish I would've tried it earlier. I've tried taking fish oil supplements and they fucked me up. Eating oily fish three times per week seems to improve my mood.

>N-acetyl cysteine
What changes in particular has this made for you, and what vendor/brand/dose/frequency has been most effective?

I take about 10k a day of d3. Out of all the supplements I have taken its the one which has had the most noticeable effect on my mood, energy and performance.

what time of day do you take it?

Anyone use melatonin for better sleep?

Serotonin, dopamine, and epinephrine are made from amino acids.

1/2

Mucuna pruriens has concentrations up to 99% L-DOPA.

I have a very healthy, well balanced diet. I get very healthy sleep, and exercise regularly. What else could I do besides try to find a supplement for something I'm maybe missing?

PS..

How long does it take to get any effects from vitamin D

Posted before this showed up. So if I buy and take this, it should help alleviate any deficiencies I may have that cause depression?

Just go out into the sunlight faggot. Humans produce Vitamin D through sun exposure to the skin.

It's extremely cold and cloudy where I live, right now. I usually like the cold, and have cold weather gear, but it's absolutely brutal this time of year.

Could I get some of these from common amino acid supplements?

If there isn't a foot of snow on the ground, or windstorms, you should get some time outside.

I do get some time outside, normally on my walks to the gym, but I don't feel like it is enough.

Improved short-term memory, better ability to cope with stress and less frequency of mood imbalances. I feel more in control.

I use Twinlab 600mg. I take it daily in the morning. It's the only brand I've tried.

Morning

For example..

OP, same boat as you. Wife got me into Vitamin B 100 complex and Omega 3's. I take 3 900mg Omega 3's each morning and two 100's. The 100's give me an energy boost through most of the day while the Omega's give me a nice serene feeling and the noise inside my head gets turned way the fuck down.

1.5mg an hour before I want to sleep. If you put down your phone around that 1 hour mark you'll pass out around 8 hours later feeling great.

>over 5K/day is going to cause your heart to calcify
Absolute bullshit. You need to take over 50k a day to have any negative effects.

OP, when it comes to depression, you are only fighting yourself. The only person you can fail is yourself. Don't give up. Make a goal and set out to do it. Doesn't matter if it's small to other people, they won't be the ones who'll stand next to you when you're of old age.

in northern areas, especially europe and UK, there isn't enough UV for vitamin D from like october to march.

i have taken 5000 iu daily for the past 5 months [when i remember to] and haven't noticed a difference. Then again i have never been depressed.

I believe in taking care of myself, in a balanced diet, in a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.

Vit D is fat soluble and in cases of supplementing too much, will build up to toxic levels.
Start small, I take 400iu a day, and I find I sleep better and feel better.

I used to have social and generalised anxiety and clinical depression, but I have mostly passed that without vit D anyway

Improved mood and not lethargic anymore. Feels good man. Taking about 5000 iu every day