New lifters : don't fell for the "don't isolate your arms, chin up and rows are enough for big biceps" meme, please...

New lifters : don't fell for the "don't isolate your arms, chin up and rows are enough for big biceps" meme, please, you'll regret it.

bump

studies have shown 80 percent of the gains you get in your arms as new lifters come from compound lifts
Even lat pulldowns cause more bicep growth than curls.
Arm size potential is heavily genetic based basically this means if youre meant to have big arms, you'll get them from compounds
nothing wrong with a bit of direct arm work tho for that extra boost. But you SHOULD focus on copounds above all else. If you can't row and close grip bench at least 3pl8s you really have no need to isolate arms

If you fall for the 'Any compound movement is enough for (x) muscle) you'll regret it.

Isolation exercises exist for a reason.

Compounds are what give you 80-90 percent of your potential arm gains tho. you're better off focusing on getting your close grip bench to 3pl8 instead of fucking around with a bunch of high volume extensions/curls...

>Implying you can't do both CGBP and isolation exercises

Never gonna make it

this

I did rows + chins today and finished with 4x12 curls and got great pump in them

do NOT fall for it, you will end up with stick instead of arms

I fell for it big time. Rows are enough for bicep growth etc... Curls are a fucking must.

jesus fucking christ stop giving advice you worthless dyel, post your body so we can see your "3 plate close grip bench and row" arms

>Compounds are what give you 80-90 percent of your potential arm gains tho
Source: Your ass

He 100% heard it on a jason blaha video and started parroting it

>This
Dont make the same mistake I did.

Most people I see have too much arm and nothing else and it looks equally as dumb

>curls are for bro dudes!! skip leg day much? XD
Fuck this place.

What studies have shown this?

When you are wearing clothes then the arms are usually the only things you can see.

>When you are wearing clothes
Never gonna make it

Well yes there is a balance. The focus of your routine should be increasing your heavy compounds, with extra volume from isolations to maximize growth.

Why are people so scared of curls? Even big guys at the gym stay away from dumbbell curls in my gym. Is it because of embarrassing low weight?

>studies have shown

Nu-lifter here

I don’t even know what isolation and compound exercise is. I just grab and imitate people from my gym.

I dunno I just focus on the important lifts and do extra stuff for fun

Compounds = Exercise that work multiple muscles such as Bench, Squats and Deads. These are more important than isolations, which works out individual muscle such as curls, direct ab works, etc.

Do compounds but don't neglect isolations. Thats all.

This. Mix in bodyweight (pushups, dips, pullups, chinups) and a bit of dumbbell work (hammer curls, curls) and you're set for accessories.

Do you happen to have a good infographic/document listing the different compound and isolation exercises for different muscles or muscle groups? Been looking for one for ages.

My arms are growing fine. Do heavier rows and supinate your grip.

curls are just a waste of my time when I could be doing rows or something

>If you can't row and close grip bench at least 3pl8s you really have no need to isolate arms

lol okay bud... I'm gonna do it anyway.

The two biggest memes I fell for are “compounds are enough for big arms” and “abs are made in the kitchen. Well guess what, I hit 315 bench for 5 and still have relatively small arms, and I cut down to 10% bf and no abs. DONT SKIP THE ISOLATIONS

My arms blew up when I started doing calisthenics as my main strength routine. You're right in the sense that you should strive to better weak parts

Compound lifts to focus on:

Bench press
OHP
Squat
Deadlift
Pendlay rows or bent over rows

Focus on working up weight in these week by week and supplement them with various isolation exercises like supplementing bench press with dumbbell flies and cable flies. It's pretty easy. Just watch youtube videos.

of course i make a useful post and the thread dies...

like, the best studies?

this. but also dont overuse isolation movements. theyre great to compliment a solid routine of compounds. they should not be used supplementary as a large part of your routine

especially the abs. doing squats and deads works your lower back like crazy, if your abs are too weak in comparison you'll be on your way to snap city in no time

Can confirm. If you're meant to have bug arms you will. Even when I was fat I still had 16inch arms and it wasn't all fat. Only in the last few months have I been doing isolation. At 18inch with a pump.