Gym had a barbell with 1 pl8 on each side so I tried deadlifting for the first time today...

Gym had a barbell with 1 pl8 on each side so I tried deadlifting for the first time today. The weight itself seemed pretty totally fine (light if anything) but my knees were shaking like crazy. What do I have to work on?

Do it more. Your body's just not used to deadlifting

Probably your deadlift

This, but also if it was only your knees, your quads and hamstrings may have struggled a bit?? Squatting is the easy way to help that.

DLs are a leg exercise you know.

>gym had a barbell with 1 pl8 so decided to DL
>what do I have to work on

your fucking brain dumbass, do you not know that you can load them yourself or what? use less weight at first

OP here.

Should have mentioned I squatted right before the DLs.

lol user your quads were probably still feeling the squats

Get some knee braces

how much is 1 pl8?

135 pounds/ ~61 kg

90 pounds, 45+45=90

Don't listen to this user.

1 pl8 is only 45 pounds/ ~20 kg

*45 lbs PER PLATE

good meme

I suppose that's weak? How much pl8s is considered strong?

Totally subjective. Just do as much as you can, and work on improving from there. Do some research on your own about what good goals are, as setting a goal will keep you motivated.

4 plates for reps

6 reps 1 rep max

Your form must've been all kinds of fucked if you were hitching aka knee shaking 135. Record and reevaluate, especially hip starting position.

>6 reps
6 plates
hurr durr

you can squat right before deads my nigger, i do it 3 times a week

anons how to warm up for deadlifts if I can only life 1pl8?

lift .75 of a plate for reps

do sumo deads

stop being a fucking sissy and just lift the 1 pl8

strongly suggest the third option

Put it on blocks/steps so that it becomes roughly the same size as a 45lb plate, it's what all the girls do at my gym.

i wish she would meg squat on my face

>stop being a fucking sissy and just lift the 1 pl8
I have 3 herniated discs mate, I don't want to make it worse

then you should not be deadlifting or squatting

I don't have any pain and I've already been doing McGill's Big 3 for the past 3 months.

well that changes everything

how the fuck do you even load a bar for deadlifting? put it on the ground and kind of awkwardly lift each side up while you put plates on or what?

yes, or use this

I put the bar on the safety bars at the lowest setting, put the plates on, then deadlift the bar off of the safeties and put it on the ground.

>Not enjoying the extra rows
Wooww.

A better question would be how do you load a trapbar for deadlifts?

>trapbars

Hey sorry that I sometimes prefer deadlifting without also using my lower back. I lift for my sport, kickboxing. If I have training shortly after lifting, I need my damn back to be fine and not be too fatigued and sore. It gets more difficult to do kicks properly with a sore back.

I've come up with a good solution at home. The cage has holes for the j-hooks on the outside low enough that if the barbell is rested there, there is just enough space to slide plates on without scraping the ground. After the barbell is loaded, you can just get over top of the barbell, one leg on each side and lift one side off the hook onto the ground, then do the same for the other side. That way you are probably only ever lifting < 1/2 the weight during the racking/unracking process.