Is exercising at 90-100+% of my maximum heart rate healthy? Just went for a jog and my average HR was 187. I'm 23

Is exercising at 90-100+% of my maximum heart rate healthy? Just went for a jog and my average HR was 187. I'm 23.

Absolutely not. If you do it it should be exceedingly rare and it is literally not worth it at all unless you're a professional athlete.

first run ever? or pro athlete?

Different user, why isn't it? My only cardio experience was military, so if you weren't puking or coughing up blood, you weren't going hard enough according to them.

Because that shit is incredibly taxing for your heart and entire body, most professional athletes will only have like 1 week of training during a prep block where they exercise at that level.

Oh, and there is pretty much absolutely no benefit to doing so either, the only reasons one should do it is a) you are competing or b) it's a life and death situation.

Well wtf, for me the health improvement zone is basically a brisk walk.

Jesus christ

My inactive heart rate is 125, am I going to make it bros?

I'm 50 pounds overweight (lost 30) and my heart rate has never gotten that high.

That just means you are always in the fitness zone. You are one of the fittest men alive.

I'm trans.

Ok, so you either believe you are a man, or society doesn't believe that you are a woman, so you are de facto, a man.

In that case, you will never make it.

It’s fine op don’t listen to these trolls

You don't believe me? I can send you a picture.

How about you kys

I don't care, show me what you got.

Not an athlete but I'm not a fatass. A couple weeks ago I started running on days when I don't lift.

Yeah, I'm on beta blockers for hyperthyroid issues. When I don't take them, my heart goes up to 210-220 when running. I just wasn't sure whether that was really a problem for someone young with no heart issues.

I guess I will have to talk to my doctor about it.

W-what happens when you go to the max multiple times a week?

do you have a y chromosome? if so you are male, if not you are female. end of

OP , that's what's referred to as 'anaerobic threshold', and you should not be working at that intensity all the time.

I'm a cyclist and I undersand 'training zones', and there is testing we do regularly to set those training zones. There must be similar for runners, I suggest you research them, do the testing, and keep your running intensity over distance in an appropriate zone so you don't burn out or get injured or sick (training at too high an intensity all the time for months on end can drag down your immune system and make you get sick). In the meantime DIAL IT DOWN A NOTCH OR TWO.

What's a good amount to workout like that? I hit that threshold with cardio once a day. Most of the time I'm not even trying. I just run until I'm completely gassed then call it a day.

WTH I'm 28. I run for an hour at a time over 180. When I sprint my heart rate breaks 200.

Me too man. My max is 213 and I could do more if I wanted.

This chart is misleading. If your inactive hr is above 70 you need to reevaluate your life choices

walk more mr atherosclerosis

If your average HR is 187, it doesn't count as a jog.
You should be doing 80% of your running in zone 2 or easier.

about 20% of your training should be hard.
Running is roughly equivalent to cycling except with less volume because impact force is higher and lower RPE because it's easier to crank up your HR on a run than on a bike ride.

My resting heart rate is in the low 60's which is pretty good. According to this chart, the health improvement zone starts at 92. If I hit up the treadmill to warm up, I'm there at like 4.5mph.

You need cardio but with intensity like that at every day you are gonna die fast. Just sleep and rest more.

I've been taught the opposite, that I gotta work out hard everyday to get fit. I don't know what to believe.

For a jog that's pretty fucked my dude

Meme bullshit, I run 4 times a week at the gym and my heart rate is consistently 210+ and I'm as healthy as a horse. I do about 45 minutes at 8.5mph, I'm jacked as fuck (no roids, all natty), and I feel great

lift hard but mix your cardio intensity and distance. Higher intensity, less time & distance

Try deadlifting 7 days a week with high reps and weights. Doesn't work. Different programs are different, and are executed different ways. With full body compounds you just can't lift every day. And after all, your muscles grow when you rest after workout.

Could it just be that everyone's different? When I get on the treadmill, before I start my run I check my pulse and it's 120-128. And when running it's 180-190. After the run I don't feel like I was even pushing myself to the brink or that I'm close to dying.

>120 resting heart rate

jesus christ guys go to a doctor

120 when you sit? Call a doctor.
>source: i'm nurse

Wait, trans men get waved in by default? Sweet.

You create a rip in the space time continuum and reverse time to save Lois Lane.

No bueno friend. Go see a doctor

>heartlets

Fuck I have resting heart rate at 55. You guys need help.

Wtf I literally don't sweat when I'm below 188 HR, it's like I'm not even exercising, I've been doing 188 + for the past 5 years every time I cardio and I'm 22.

only occasionally. You build a foundation through a weeks long training programme, for example, and at the end of the programme, you operate at your maximum but only a few times.

220 is way above maximal heart rate dude. you need to see your doctor now.

guy with exercise science degree here, trained in this specific stuff-- please stop running until you see a doctor.