Went to the gym today for the first time, could only bench 40 lbs (20kg)...

Went to the gym today for the first time, could only bench 40 lbs (20kg). Did anybody else start out at such a low point?

My friend couldn't lift the smith machine bar unaided. Just the bar.

I turned around and it almost crushed him. I wish i had proof.

The only thing the Smith bar is gonna crush is that guy's confidence

40 pounds in addition to the bar? If so, yes. If not, doesn't matter. Just improve. Don't let yourself get caught up on your starting numbers. Just focus on how much you can improve safely (read the sticky).

If you're a beginner stick to low weights. Do your research on hypertrophy and strenght training.

Started with the bar
Now bench 2pl8 (100kg) for reps

My first bench was unironically me getting trapped under the bar for 20kg. Now I bench 1.5 pl8s for reps in my 5x5. You're gonna make it bro, don't worry, just focus on your form and soldier on

>My first bench was unironically me getting trapped under the bar for 20kg.
how is this possible? were you bed ridden for 10 years? pushing yourself up out of bed requires more strength than benching 20 kilos

not if u are 20kg

Wtf Rippetoe looks like that!????

SS + GOMAD faggot

I could barely bench the bar my first day, and now I bench 210 lbs for reps. I only weigh 156 lbs.

I couldnt bench the bar my first day. 6 months later I still can’t. Really starting to consider just ending it all

50 lb for me and I had very poor form. Don't worry OP, it takes a bit to get your body to get in shape. Just prioritize form and completing the workout over the numbers.
you may want to see a doctor

my petite azn gf benched for her first time today and did 65lbs for 3 reps :)

the bar is 45 though? what the fuck is wrong with you.

I think I probably benched like 85 or 95 my first try i dont really remember. i had been to the gym before but i was afraid of barbells for a bit idk

>new guy at gym squats 1pl8, ohp with 5lbs in each side but is vascular and defined as fuck
>his working set is my warm up
Lifting heavy is a meme

maybe he used to lift heavy and took a long break, has since switched to calisthenics for a while to maintain good condition, decided to get back into barbells but wants to start slow and has a strong linear progression program planned, maybe in a month you'll see him squatting 3 pl8s
I say this because I'm going through the same thing and I bet that's what people are thinking about me

I literally started doing 4x8 20kg, just like you. Right now I'm doing 4x8 95kg! So don't feel bad or anything. Keep going to the gym and you'll see how you'll be able to lift more every time.

> not realizing being vascular and defined is just a matter of low body fat % and decent muscle mass

I benched the bar easily when I was 12 and I was a pretty skinny little kid back then. Not sure how a fully grown adult could struggle with just the bar.

When I first went to the gym I was so weak and malnourished that the bar benched me instead.

This
I think as kids we were running around much more climbing trees etc

>now you cant even do 1 push up
Please help me

>My friend couldn't lift the smith machine bar unaided. Just the bar.
I dont believe you. how can someone live their life like that?

I knew this dude who was like the gigavirgin of our friend group. Listened to 90s industrial nonstop on headphones, wore a full leather trenchcoat 365 days a year, etc.

Finally this girl who was basically a town slut decided to take him under her wing. One of those "Aww he's adorable" moments.

She said he did not have the strength to hold himself up with his arms and thrust into her in missionary position. Collapsed on top of her multiple times. Guy weighed like 140 prob.

Don’t worry try senpai, a month ago I couldn’t bench the bar, now I’m doing 70 pounds. We all start somewhere

No but you have to start somewhere

>tfw started with 1/2/3/4
Stay mad, twinks

Either keep working at that bar or start with some free weights and work your way up

I can only bench around 20 lbs not counting the bar, don't feel bad

My first bench was a 1 plate and a 25 lb plate on each side. The guy I was training with said it sucked and then said guess Ill just leave the 25s on and add a plate if im gonna be working out with you and then proceeded to rep it making me feel like shit

So do we count the bar or not?!

yea, did the bar and 10 lbs on each side or something
rep 2plate easily now, all thanks to Rippletoe

yes, everyone counts the bar. a standard barbell weighs 45lb.

yea, we count the bar
some are 35 and some are 45 tho, to determine this hold both a bar in one hand and a stack of 5lb plates in the other and use your body as a scale before beginning each workout

> tfw you find out your bar is 35lb and you're 10lb weaker on all your lifts than you thought

I stalled on OHP at 45lbs for months.

Just keep at it, keep eating and you will improve.

You may have really low test. What is your age?
You may never bench more than 225lbs(100kg), unless you start juicing.

Is he also fairly tall? I just joined recently and sound like this guy

Exactly the same here. I started benching last week. 94 pounds x 3. Feels weak, man, but I'll improve quickly. But I want to get the form right earlier rather than later.

I think barbells scare people. Not sure why. I just said "fuck it" and started using them. Looked at SS and some YouTube vids. Shit ain't hard, yo.

>lankey 5,10 manlet
>never lift
>lazy cunt
>still start on 80kg
Whats wrong with you Kuntz?

eat a lot but eat clean. also see the doc

b l e s s you user

>first time benching
>never went to gym before
>80kg 3*8