Redpill me on Judo. Should I take it up? Should I keep lifting if I do? No BJJ memes pls

Redpill me on Judo. Should I take it up? Should I keep lifting if I do? No BJJ memes pls
I'm 26.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oP9X2PHIx3o
youtube.com/watch?v=CBFx1a4L2ig
youtube.com/watch?v=vtSQSbJzGAM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Judo is THE meme

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is the best martial art, this is not a meme, it's not up to discussion. A mediocre BJJ fighter can easily take on black belt karatefags or anyone who can't into grappling.
If you want the inferior ones though... I have no idea why you would want Judo if you think BJJ is a meme. Your type would probably enjoy boxing, which is another master race martial art.

Judo is fun

I had mandatory judo classes in school and it can tell you it's a waste of time
almost everything you learn there is completely useless in a real world fight
if you want something good for self defense take up something like krav maga, and not any of that chink garbage like judo or karate

>BJJfags actually believe this

Yes take it up if you can. If they have good players there you are going to get your ass handed to you just leave your ego at the door. Learn the techniques with no strength applied. Then as you go on and get better with the techniques apply power when throwing espescially when practicing throws on a crash pad. The reason to try and perfect the technique first is because you shouldnt feel tired at all when executing a perfect throw. Better technique better stamina and lasting longer in an actual tournament or fight that applies for all martial arts if you can flow through a kick punch or throw it wont sap your energy so much than to just power through it. Apply the power at the right moment.

good luck with your worn out knees

As much as I hate BJJ because of all the fanboys that have ruined it, I have to agree.

As a white belt in bjj i was wrecking black belts in judo when it came to newaza.

I know you don't want BJJ and I won't push it on you, but if you can find a place that offers both (mainly those that have a proper Brazilian instructor ime) you would get the most complete experience.

I stopped doing Judo exclusively when I realised I could trash judoka with a small amount of bjj, unless they also did bjj...

Been doing judo since I was 8 and I think it's great combined with lifting, when I started taking up strongman comps I had a huge advantage because of judo. A lot of the other strongmen also had some sort of history in judo, wrestling or other wrestling like martial art. Definitely worth trying out if you're looking for some heavy cardio that goes well with lifting.

I agree completely and I love BJJ. It really comes down to what you want it for though. If you plan to compete then yes BJJ should be your base as it dominates other styles.

The trouble is it's almost useless in actual self defence. For that you need Japanese/K1 Kickboxing or Muay Thai.

Even if you want to compete in MMA you still need striking skills so really you can't just do a single martial art alone. You need to pick at minimum a grappling art, say Judo or BJJ; and a striking art say Muay Thai or full contact Karate.

If you don't plan to ever compete in MMA than really you just need something like Krav or Muay for the self defence aspects.

I've only recently started looking into martial arts again. I did greco-roman wrestling for 2 years as a kid, didn't do terribly well because I didn't use my head but I still know some stuff.
It seems to me that BJJ is basically Judo, but with additional chokeholds and locks that aren't allowed in Judo -- no shit you're going to win if you use techniques your opponent hasn't trained against.

Good points. I'm mature enough to not have to be The Best (tm) at everything, as long as I progress (and hopefully faster than people with similar starting conditions).

I'm neither looking to compete, nor to become le edgy self defence master. I want a form of cardio that lets me touch other men no homo

> I want a form of cardio that lets me touch other men no homo

Any type of grappling then. Say wrestling, judo, bjj (gi or no gi). Doesn't matter. It just depends on what you enjoy which you won't know until you do it.

Grappling is both anaerobic and aerobic tho. Some judokas are big strong fuckers simply from throwing dudes around and barely doing actual weight training.

For pure aerobic cardio you need a striking combat sport like boxing or kickboxing.

Miring bloat.

Pretty much. BJJ might allow you to defeat anyone 1v1, but the catch is that it is useless if you are facing more than one opponent.

Muay Thai and Boxing are probably the only non-meme striking martial arts though.
>inb4 krav maga
Krav maga is 50% boxing and 50% useless shit. Just go to boxing to get the 100% experience.

>A mediocre BJJ fighter can easily take on black belt karatefags or anyone
i just so happen to have gotten to a black belt level in goju-ryu which is a style of karate(in Australia there are laws preventing those under 18 holding a full black belt) and the club has long since shut down, but i have a friend who trained in bjj and i could destroy him in a sparing match. to believe any style is superior to another is idiocy at it finest.
its not the style it the teacher student mentality

I agree completely at an amateur level in most if not all self defence situations. However they have tested this stuff repeatedly in MMA. And as shown by the early UFCs (which had few rules) and Brazilian Vale Tudo or Japanese Shoot Fighting, grappling based styles like BJJ or submission wrestling won continually.

And of those grappling styles when tested in actual combat sports at the highest level, BJJ practitioners won continually hence it becoming the meme combat sport it is today..

Strikers only began to win once they cross trained with a grappling art. And I say that as a primarily Japanese/K1 kickboxer who gets bored of grappling combat styles.

there aren't any such laws you fucking muppet - there may be a policy for the numbskulls that run that organisation, but there is nothing enshrined in federal or state legislation that prohibits some cunt under 18 getting a black belt in your shitty no-kan-do... you talk about idiocy at its finest, I'm sure you're the type of staunch cunt who shoots his mouth of at the pub about this shit to impress his bogan mates who are too dumb to question it.

God it's idiots like this that make me hate martial arts people...

i would tend to agree for the most but most traditional striking styles also have grappling elements, it is just they have been left out for modern appeal. i was taught grappling in goju-ryu. though to call it a style of karate is a bit of an injustice, i suppose as it is an MMA of sorts comprised of many different Chinese arts just founded before the term MMA existed.
people seem to think martial arts is some sort of meme, but before gunpowder it was literally the most powerful weapon.

>before gunpowder it was literally the most powerful weapon.
*starts twirling his sling*
psssh..
*hits u in the forehead*
nothin personnel.. kiddo
Also spears.

>I'm sure you're the type of staunch cunt who shoots his mouth of at the pub
well maybe you right about there not being laws, but our style did not permit it. also you've no idea who the fuck i am or how the fuck i live my life. i literally live in the mountains, an hour away from the nearest city, who the fuck am i mouthing off too the wild dogs? you sound like some entailed cunt who lives in suburbia.

>Also spears.
>imply martial arts doesn't use weapons

Sumo

>a weapon uses a weapon
What the fuck are you smoking?

Not who you were arguing with but you literally sound like a meme. Kek.

like joe rogan said, a good judoka will kill anyone on the street if they're attacker's wearing a thick winter coat.

but ya its really fun, my karate teacher taught us Judo and it was probably the best part of karate class besides sparring and kicking each other in the head

Judo is great for takedownsor throws, itis just one piece of a puzzle though. You need ground game and you need striking. Judo guys do have huge Advantage when starting bjj

i said martial arts was the most powerful weapon. doesn't mean it does not incorporate weapons. are you that thick you have never heard of an art that uses sword, spears, staff etc.
wasn't arguing, was just adding to the point i made before hand, as i said i agree mostly with what the other user said.
anyway i grew up in what most would call a third world situation. no electricity cooking by fire in a shack me and my father slowly built

This. For all round fighting ability in any situation you need striking, takedowns, and ground fighting.

So pick the arts you enjoy the most and cross train if you actually want to learn how to properly fight.

>no electricity cooking by fire in a shack me and my father slowly built

Ok that's wonderful but doesn't mean you don't sound like a retarded sperglord or know how shit about combat sports/fighting.

If MA are a weapon, and they incorporate weapons, that means a weapon is using a weapon. Do you have any idea how retarded this sounds?
My point is, don't fucking call MA a weapon. In MA, your body constitutes one of the weapons. It's like calling the concept of driving a car, a "car".

There are still plenty of throws you can hit without a gi/jacket, thought I do prefer gi grappling because I think it's more interesting

>Judo is great for takedownsor throws, itis just one piece of a puzzle though. You need ground game and you need striking

against untrained opponents (99% of street altercations) you don't need to be well rounded, you can just learn one skill and if you have good situational awareness you'll know which fights you can win and which you should eject from

if you're worried about fighting well rounded fighters then get a gun

cool pic, desu
I always thought it's
>lucia libre
in a street fight, an amateur will 99% of the time will try to strike you, does judo teach you how to defend against it?

fucking righto mister semantics. fuck me do you really have to argue such a point over my miss use of words, what exactly are you trying to prove here other than what I've already said with obviously the wrong words?

right and i bet your the world heavy weight champion. i have lived my life with people telling me i'm wrong only to prove them wrong at every turn. The absolute state of modern man is fucking abysmal. Go to the wild for a week and se if you survive with nothing but your whits, I'm not sum chump that sits around playing vidya all day. if you think fighting is hard trying fucking surviving you dumb shit. go out into the wilderness with nothing but a knife and i'll be nice and say a lighter and see if you can last the week.

Cry more, bitch nigga. Learn to speak your own fucking language properly, cunt.

Kek. You're a walking meme/copypasta. This is great.

Yeah. Deflect, close the distance, throw.

>in a street fight, an amateur will 99% of the time will try to strike you, does judo teach you how to defend against it?
yes it teaches you how to position yourself and close distance, how to roll, take people down, keep your hands up (if you need to), they also do some light striking exercises, more as fakes/misdirection and defensive practice

While 99% of fights might start with a few wild swings, 99% of fights end up in a clinch or on the ground. And if youre close range versus a judoka its lights out.

You think a judoka who has spent hundreds of hours grip fighting can't see an untrained punch coming?

*stuffs your takedown*

youtube.com/watch?v=oP9X2PHIx3o
whats this throw called

>Kek. You're a walking meme/copypasta
if you can show me a screen cap of this so called copypasta i will anhero with a live feed. your just fucking butthurt because your a weak pussy who would die without electricity and someone to kill your food for you.

do you think i care. again from the mountains, why the fuck would i care abut some mediocre language when i have to survive you idiot. only reason i can post here is because satellite internet exists

Disregarding everything else for a sec, I think Judo is a very good thing for kids or teenagers to do. That or wrestling - but I come from a country where wrestling isnt that big of a deal unfortunately.
Growing up I did Judo for many years. Got to a blue belt under a pretty strict sensei - I was told by a guy from another dojo that I would probably have been a brownbelt anywhere else. Anyway I've always attributed my thicc af frame to doing Judo in those development years. At my dojo there weren't many people (rn I can only recall one) who were around my size, so for throwing practice and randori I was always partnered with bigger, older dudes. I swear that carrying these dudes on my back all the time changed my frame as a kid. I say this because my younger brother never did judo and he has a totally different body (much lighter, think gracile - robust, or twink - bear lmao). As a kid I competed in a few state-level competitions, won around 3/4s and placed top three in all of them. To show you how heavyset I am - I was around 60-ish kilos at age twelve iirc. Some of this was an early growth spurt (I was around 5'11) but I think most of it was just getting muscular and thick from throwing and pretty much wrestling dudes all week long.
Anyway thats my blog done.

If you can, join somewhere that actually trains people for competition that is sanctioned under your contry / state federation under the IJF. That weeds out a lot of mcdojos, not that they are a big deal in Judo unlike other shit like karate for instance.

Judo-kino:
youtube.com/watch?v=CBFx1a4L2ig

Rwanda-Rousey.webm
The throw is a drop-seonagi.

good advice. and yeah regardless of martial art or combat sport you do it has to be done somewhere that actually trains competing fighters even if you won't compete, or it is a mcdojo.

>that actually trains competing fighters
lol no. i was trained by a competitive fighter, but none of my class were competitive fighters because of where the club was.
you jusr a douche who believes the\is that and the other technique are superior when in reality it is the mentality of the fighter that is the true variable. If you can't fight to save your life you can't fight to win a competition.
survivalists are the strongest fighters period

Judo is great. Ignore the BJJ only fags. Everyone cross trains now. Plenty of Judo guys with good ground game and plenty with bad. Everyone is good at throwing though (which is the point of our sport...). Also easy to transition to no gi throws if you’re not retarded. It’s tough though. Especially on the joints. I only lift twice a week and do Judo 5x right now. Sometimes can switch in a day or two of bjj or whatever for fun. Expect a couple years to get okayish and 3-5 to get good. Then could do more bjj after and wreck no takedown game plebs in a more chill environment. Better to look at grappling as one thing though, just differentiated by rule sets. Then just do it all. Most fun that way.

>Better to look at grappling as one thing though, just differentiated by rule sets. Then just do it all. Most fun that way.
This. Also allows you to introduce nifty stuff from one sport into another, so you're more likely to have an answer when something doesn't go as planned.

cheers mane

>Then could do more bjj after and wreck no takedown game plebs in a more chill environment
I don't do bjj but I watch a fair bit. This seems like a fair statement to make. A lot of the awkward pacing shit at the beginning of bjj matches could be ended very quickly with some judo knowledge. Like you say, everyone cross trains. Legit Judokas often take BJJ for some of the newaza that is now absent from Judo (or just for the rolling experience, most Judo dojos don't spend a lot of time on the ground). On the other side a lot of BJJ guys will do some Judo to incorporate clinch style stuff and throws into their game.
>Better to look at grappling as one thing though, just differentiated by rule sets.
definitely agree with this also

for anyone interested, look up BJJScout on youtube or ig. He makes great (the best imo) grappling breakdown videos. Pretty much at least half of what he's been posting on insta for the past 6 months has been nasty-ass submissions from judo comps.

>muh bjj is superior to all
youtube.com/watch?v=vtSQSbJzGAM

Judo is a joke now because of their rules. I trained Wrestling for 4 years and BJJ for 5 months before checking out a local judo dojo out of interest.

None of the higher belts in the class room had any idea how to stop a double leg or a single leg except for the sensei. Why? because tournaments dont allow them anymore.

In fact, its ILLEGAL in a Judo match to do a double leg takedown now. It's a completely unrealistic grappling art at this point.

this is the slowest fight i have ever seen. both competitors would loose against a real opponent

BJJ is a joke now because of their rules. I trained archery for 4 years and shooting for 5 months before checking out a local BJJ dojo out of interest.

None of the higher belts in the class room had any idea how to stop a double barrel or a single action except for the sensei. Why? because tournaments dont allow them anymore.

In fact, its ILLEGAL in a BJJ match to use a double action revolver now. It's a completely unrealistic fighting sport at this point.

>In fact, its ILLEGAL in a Judo match to do a double leg takedown now
yeah its worse than that the new gay rule prevents you from grabbing an opponents legs pre much at all. iirc the reasoning behind it was to stop it from becoming wrestling-lite. in the same time frame groundwork had been vastly more encouraged though so swings and roundabouts in a way I guess.

all that being said - this only affects competitive judo. people are still free to teach and learn techniques that involve grabbing legs, its just illegal in competition. also as pointed out though I'm not sure why you thought wrestling moves would be legal? you wouldn't whip out an rnc or an armbar on a wrestling mat, would you?

As a grappling sport/practice/martial art I prefer it over bjj, but that's personal preference. But the problem lies in the school philosophy, if it trains for competition style combat drop it, which is why people pick bjj over judo, since most bjj competition isn't as tight ass as judo comps. There are many dimensions to grappling combat judo explores most, while bjj is a more specialized school of thought in general.

To make it even easier for wrestlers, the IJF has banned all standing/flying locks and strangles as of this month.

Can I do Muay Thai if I have arthritis in my hips and neck?

Can I do any martial arts?

Have you asked your doctor?

He said any martial arts where there is pulling on my neck is a no go

Depends on what you want from it. I personally think BJJ is way more fun than Judo. I have aversion for all gis and that's pretty much mandatory for Judo.

However I wouldn't take BJJ if I was looking for purely self defense

MT has clinch work, which involves serious pressure on the neck.

Tbh, I expect anything with sparring is a risk as even without direct neck pulling you may get hit in the head - serious indirect impact on your neck - or falling on your head. I'd say Kyokushin karate minus the head kicks, but your hips will be a problem there? Don't know how bad they are. Maybe boxing minus sparring?

Is it too late to start mma at 27?
Have some wrestling and boxing background (and played LB in college)

You're not going to be the next GSP, but you can still have fun and do some amateur fights if you want.

Always better to try and find out than not try at all.