Whats wrong with starting out with the smith machine?

Whats wrong with starting out with the smith machine?

Doing squats on the smith machine puts a lot of pressure on your lower back, especially if your form is bad

You won't build confidence. Fledgling rock climbers fall to feel the safety of the rope. New squatters ought to fail in the Power Rack to observe the safety pins catch the bar.

If you fail a squat in a Smith machine, you're pinned between the floor and the bar.

you don't stabilize the weight yourself which means the movements don't recruit as many muscles and therefore aren't as efficient. could lead to muscle imbalance. there's also a bit of risk involved with the fixed bar path potentially forcing you into a bad movement.

the good way to start out is to start out with low weights.

It is inferior.

I struggle squatting the bar.

Then do air squats.

training bar. failing that, a broom.

could also just do air squats as the other user said but since proper squat form also involves arms and hands I'd suggest having something to put on your back.

No shit nigga it's the gym it's meant to be hard

Oh man. How? Even at my weakest I was squating at least 1 plate. Not hating but just confused

188cm
66kg
I don't eat enough

thanks mr skeltal

for 5 reps? were you physically active beforehand?

sort that out, quickly, or you will achieve diddly squat

he's got a big head

what the fuck is this supposed to be

balance is not required using a smith machine. I've seen this many times, people squatting with their feet far from the trajectory of the bar. The bottom position is like they are sitting in a chair.

if the bar got loose it wouldn't take half a second for them to fall on their asses

It's a simple drawing. Are you retarded or something?

>squatting 1pl8 at weakest
fatass

Yeah I'm sure you were squatting 3pl8 right when you started.
Stay mad dyel

Not him but I just started at the gym and have no problem with 60 kg 5x5. I walk everywhere, though.

It's only when I see ugly shit like this that I remember what a beautiful exercise the barbell squat is. Imagine having that sad excuse for a squat be your leg day. Imagine how fucking uncomfortable and what a weak shitty power output you'd have squatting when your starting and ending position aren't even neutral but rather at an angle.

I need to wash my eyes after seeing that picture.

for you.

How is this even possible. You a girl?

what happens if you bench with the smith machine?

>Smith machine
You mean the Weighted Guillotine?

Hey guys what should I do? I understand that the conventional squat is better but when I started I was too weak and only used the smith machine on leg day. Now I want to transition into the regular squat but am afraid I will lose strength. What do?

if you have to sacrifice the thing you call strenght to move on to regular squats, by any means do so. On the smith machine, it can hardly be called squatting, a huge part of it is the balance, stabilizing requires a lot more work and it recruits the core and other muscles to do so.