Is it normal that I have to deload OHP at 55 pounds? I'm doing SL starting from untrained skelly...

Is it normal that I have to deload OHP at 55 pounds? I'm doing SL starting from untrained skelly. Can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just a hard lift.

if you're a skelly you can't OHP anywhere near 55 pounds.

Do not do SL/SS. Do splits. The sticky is wrong. Power exercises are not for beginners. You will experience better aesthetic gains with split exercises and machines.

Yeah that's fine. Just lift and get your protons in.

Is it bad that I can OHP nearly the same as my bench.

This is the worst advice I’ve ever seen given on this board
Eat more food

how many calories and how many grams of protein do you consume in a day? how many hours of sleep do you get? would you say you have a nutrient-rich diet?

as in, the bar + 2 5lb plates?
probably, what's your bench at?
check your form, make sure you're pushing it in a vertical line above your head. from clavicle to lock out, it's unusual to stall before around 100lb for most novices but half that is odd
ignore, SL is best for skellies because the fat gain is a boon if anything and squatting 3x a week is the best way to cultivate hunger
also machines are shit when you're small, anything except full body 3x week is shit for beginners, find a new hobby or stop misleading people

My OHP is 110 and my bench is 135

it's advice from a trainer with an exercise science degree

the Veeky Forums angle that SS/SL/etc are for newbies is simply wrong.

He won't get any aesthetic gains and he will probably injure himself, and his form is probably garbage. Have you ever seen someone squat or OHP without being taught? Jesus. God forbid this guy tries to deadlift.

>anything except full body 3x week is shit for beginners

pretending that every beginner is some super healthy super driven person who will do power exercises correctly just isn't realistic. In the real world when money and injuries are on the line we don't kid ourselves with this "git gud" teenager shit.

OP you can listen to me, someone approaching 40 with an educaiton in this who's trying to help you, or you can listen to 19 year olds who take steroids and think they know what they're talking about. your choice.

And? Eat more food.
Those degrees are fake what’s your point? Any moron with half a brain can get them and even so that’s an appeal to authority fallacy.
It isn’t wrong at all you’re wrong.
Aesthetics come from being strong and having a low body fat. You’d know that if you actually lifted weights. And learning form for ohp is insanely easy you absolute larping moron.

Wtf is a power excessive? Do you mean compound movement you fake idiot?
It actually takes less dedication and commitment you idiot. It’s 3 ducking excersises 3 days a week. It’s 45 mins max. Wtf is wrong with you?

As a 6'5" skele my ohp is 75 lbs :(

>Those degrees are fake what’s your point?

Oh, I assure you my degree is real. Exercise science is a multidisciplinary study that involves high levels of several hard sciences, in fact it's the only major that most universities offer that require that. It isn't a degree in "physical education" and you could not do it. You will not ever have a college degree and no, that fact about you does not allow you to diminish mine. You are stupid.

>Aesthetics come from being strong and having a low body fat

No, aesthetics do not come from being strong. There are hundreds of people who have come here and done SS and SL and look like fucking rectangles.

Post certificate with timestamp.

You're push pressing. I can almost guarantee you are using your legs to help push the bar up.

you're in the same mentality of doctors who think 80g of protein is excessive and fats are bad for you
your advice is only applicable to genpop shitters who are content with mediocrity and nothing more
Veeky Forums is a board of extremes and if you want the best results possible, SL/SS are the best routines for beginner skellies

just use your fucking head:
DO NOT EGO LIFT
do not chase weight you can't handle
priorities form on every exercise, every workout. weight comes with time, form gets ingrained very quickly and relearning form will wreck your progress like nothing else

>getting so mad that you start phoneposting furiously and failing to correct words

Yeah, OP, you can either listen to this guy or listen to the guy with the EXSC degree from the #1 nation in America.

I am taking over this board and you are going to see my sentiments replace some of the incorrect things taught here.

Dude SL doesnt even have power cleans. In SS they can just be replaced with rows or SDLs

Nope. I'm extemely careful about that. In fact I hardly even bend my back backward.

Leave

I had a similar problem, turns out my bench form was all kinds of retarded
make sure you're pushing with your chest, make sure the bar is moving diagonal above your head, make sure you're holding the bar properly and gripping it tightly, make sure your scapula is retracted, etc etc etc basically just watch some videos on form
I also attribute it to never having done pushups in my life; but my OHP form was extremely strict and I was at 1pl8 1RM compared to 70kg for bench

>Veeky Forums is a board of extremes

No it's not. You perpetrate extremes because you think it lends you credibility. I *have* credibility so I give people realistic ideas.

You want to inspire people to do power exercises? Tell them to do splits so they can actually see and feel a muscle grow first without hurting themselves. Most people beginning a fitness routine don't even have anywhere near the flexibility to do a squat.

You’re 40 yer old dumbass leaping with his garbage degree about his rectangle body. Go back to oldpeoplemeet.com

He can barley ohp the bar and you want him to do splits? With what 20 pound dumbbells?

He needs SL to gain strength if cmhe can only OHP the bar then that's what he will do u til he can add more weight.

So they should work on flexibility then squat you idiot.

>With what 20 pound dumbbells?

No, with 10-15 pound dumbbells for the most part, he's just starting. Said he's skelly. Probably has no muscle anywhere.

Yes, the "then squat" part is important

your degree is obviously meaningless and you've wasted your time, I'm sorry
getting beginners to chase pumps is the absolute worst advice you can give and the best way to develop flexibility for squats is to do squats
here's a tip: just because you were required to learn the exact biomechanics involved in the compound movements, doesn't mean that beginners need a perfect understanding of them else they'll shatter as soon as they step under the bar

Then he should still do full body...nkthing wrong with using the bar and adding reps until you gain the strength to add weight

If he can ohp 55lbs why would you want him to stop and switch to dumbbells?

I wasn't required to learn that. Weightlifting courses aren't part of an exercise science degree. I taught myself for twenty years.

I'm sorry but you're just wrong. It takes no balls to come here and act like you're in the know becuase you're repeating what is considered fine to repeat here. You are emboldened by feeling like people have your back. But in reality you do what you are told and you do not originate knowledge, you simply relay it.

Doing splits is not "chasing pump" it's genuinely gaining muscle and it will help you love working out. Newbies doing power exercises is just going to make them hate working out.

You can do full body exercises without doing power compound exercises.

You're conflating two different ideas. I think OHP is the one power exercises that newbies should do actually, low risk of injury and makes people feel proud and strong.

I want to hurt you so bad. Why the fuck do you keep saying power excersise???

Because I'm older than you and we called them that in the 90s, you insufferable, decroted piece of crap.

Why the fuck do you think it's called a "power rack" where you squat you fucking retard.

I took myself from untrained (20kg/25/40/60) to 60/80/110/130 in 6 months following SS
I also started from overweight and got fat as fuck, so first rule is always cut first
I saw my numbers going up on every lift, in every workout, and that's a far better indicator and driver of progress than nebulous amounts of muscle growth
you wanna train people who don't give a shit, so be it, let them aspire towards "losing a few pounds" and "getting toned"
the best exercises for building muscle are compound lifts; the best program for underweight novices is SS/SL or a close variation, and I find it astounding that you're preaching an alternative based on exercise science when said science has proved the former again and again which is why it forms the basis for the latter

>I saw my numbers going up on every lift, in every workout, and that's a far better indicator and driver of progress than nebulous amounts of muscle growth

are you under the impression that we don't have progression when doing split exercises? I'm confused

>I did this
>I did this
yes, *you* did. You. that's you.

>I find it astounding that you're preaching an alternative based on exercise science when said science has proved the former again and again which is why it forms the basis for the latter

Said science has proven time and time again that the most important factor in weightlifting for average people is PREVENTING INJURY.

Who is this “we”. You got a bird in your pocket? Cause no one else agrees with you. And I call a squat rack a squat rack faggot.
Go to bed grandpa.

You don't have to pretend you were alive before the 21st century to impress me, your glowing personality does it for you

I have no idea what this post is supposed to mean but ok. Now drink your Metamucil and lay down.

progression on a split is slow as fuck, working in the 8-12 rep range you're lucky to move up in weight every 2 weeks after the first two months or so, and if you're a novice your form _will_ go to shit on those last few reps every time
what do you think the average person will value more?
8kg to 12kg dumbell lunges over a month
20kg to 50kg barbell squats over a month
the muscle gain is going to be equally insignificant, and due to the prevalence of idiots who operate on splits you'll start to feel really fucking good about yourself when you break 100kg and can squat more than most of your gym

I'd say I'm a decent representative of most of the people who come to Veeky Forums, and again, you're dealing with genpop considerations

you're not going to injure yourself on any program if you don't chase weight you can't handle, and, once again, average people
sincerely, do you think anyone here is an average person?
we're all autistic and don't give a shit, look at the fucking onion threads, if there's anything that offers even slightly better results at a huge cost we're going to do it

nice bait

>progression on a split is slow as fuck

caring about the numbers of weights you lift is pure ego and has nothing to do with health. saying "progression is slow" is meaningless. once people become adept at weightlifting they can control their own progression

note become adept. you don't start people out on the expert track. this goes for every single thing in life.

>I'd say I'm a decent representative of most of the people who come to Veeky Forums,

I'd say it's unknowable whether you are or not and I don't agree with you and it begs the question or how low your intelligence is for you to try to force ideas like this.

>you're not going to injure yourself on any program if you don't chase weight you can't handle, and, once again, average people
Yeah, average people never injure themselves starting out on squats, bench, and deads. Stopping you right there. Have a nice night.

OP is probably some 120 pound jewish looking kid with an awkward beak. You're envisioning him as some future adonis just waiting to be instnatly unlocked by your glorious knowledge-- an expert level weightlifter who simply needs to read the words of what exercises to do and then he will blast off through a universe of gains and he will 6 scoops my trap chick senpai mic drop dab

>sincerely, do you think anyone here is an average person?
I think almost everyone everywhere is an average person. You are a model of teen hubris: Massively overestimating your position in life because you post on a fuckin' board.

>we, we, we,
stop using Veeky Forums to feel like you are home. People here are not your friends and do not care about you.

and yet you attempt to make an argument about inspiring beginners; we both know that one month in you're going to look exactly the same as when you started, numbers are a good indication of progress to keep people motivated short term
questioning someone's intelligence because you don't agree with them is a very good sign that you're not nearly as intelligent as you think you are
I'm envisioning him as the average untrained person who comes to Veeky Forums for some quick reassurance and instead gets his thread derailed into autistville by someone who thinks he's hot shit because he spent money for freely available information
that's your problem; there's no average on Veeky Forums, everyone has something wrong with them. and there's some tasty, tasty irony in the rest of that statement
I don't. otherwise, that's a very accurate assertion

>#1 nation in America
>#1 nation inside of a nation

Brace your core and ass harder than you think you need to, and grip harder than you think you need to.

On which tier is Sport certificate? Same as gender study, maths or political science?

sounds like absolutely nothing to me. If you want to be a trainer you need certifications from agencies like ACSM

Shit made my night thanks dude

Get out