QTDDTOT

If you have a desired weight you want to be at should you bulk passed it then cut or up to it and do a recomp? How many pounds over should I go if I should bulk passed it?

Other urls found in this thread:

stonebriarfaces.com/surgical-instructions/extractions/
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145737701
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's hard to say because it is going to be subjective to how you look at that weight. Bulk up to around 17-18%, cut to 12% and see where that is "weight" wise compared to your goal. But also how you feel it is compared to the idea you have in your head at that weight.

As you get close to those goals, you can try a less severe bulk, even just trying to recomp a few lbs, but its tough to say without an idea of what your goal is.

The truth is, many people have an idea of what they look like at a certain percentage or weight based on other people, but bone structure, muscle insertions, the way your body distributes fat, etc you may find that having a "weight" goal is less important then having a goal where you are comfortable with your body, strong enough to do your daily tasks and well just fit.

Currently I'm 169 lbs. I'm more or less at my desired goal in terms of weight, but I want to just be lean at this weight. I was 13% BF when I was at 162 lbs. and slowly bulked up to 169.

In other words, you would like to be bigger and leaner. As would everybody.

A goal weight makes little sense. At least not in the short term. Bulk until you're too fat, cut until you're lean enough. Rinse repeat. You can't tell in advance how heavy or light you'll be at these stages.

I'm sitting at around 111-110kg for the last few months and I feel I haven't made any progress any advice bros?

I should add I have for the most part bar some days been consistently eating at around 1800 calories a day

Then you should go up another ~5-10 lbs and then cut down to 170 again. Ultimately though I think weight goals are kind of meh unless you have been training 4-5 years and made the most of your gains.

You feel like you haven't made any progress, or you actually haven't? That matters. If you haven't been making any progress in terms of your weight going down then your calories in is equaling your calories out. You need to unbalance the equation.

If you aren't doing any cardio do 30-45 minutes 2x a week. If your calories are under 2000 don't touch your calories for now. Add more physical activity.

Make your diet single ingredient foods. If it has more then a single ingredient, then don't eat it. That isn't to say you can't combine "single ingredient" foods into a meal, but it means, nothing processed.

Tbh i didn't go to the gym much last semester so there may be some truth in this in my lack of process, and for single ingredient food would you recommended some chicken burgers and rice on the regular so long as my calories are at the deficit?

has anyone had success with greyskull / beginner based programs as a skelly?

If I'm not feeling doms am I training not hard enough in either volume or weight?

mostly weight

that's a cute dog

How do I know I'm working out my shoulders/back when I do their related exercises? They never get sore like my thighs and biceps do, so I worry I'm not effectively working them out.

It doesn't matter but single gredient foods just typically means you will get more nutrients, etc.

DOMS? Not necessarily, after working out for awhile its not that uncommon to rarely ever get doms. That doesn't mean you might not get sore occasionally but not the full doms effect

Where does the "power" you develop come from in power cleans? Is it the pull off the ground? Is it the cleaning?
Wouldn't you get more "power" from doing deadlifts and heavy power shrugs?

>bulk until your fat
>wreck you endocrine system and metabolism for bro science
idiot

Alright thanks for your advice user I'll head back to /fat/ and cut till i hit my goal by the end of the year

We're all gonna make it

Soreness means very little if it is hard at the time then it's enough

When doing pure body weight pull ups o could do 10x10. With 2.5kg weight added I can't do half that. Is this correct/normal?

the hip + knee + ankle extension at the power position. most of the power is not from the shrug, despite how it looks

>haven't lifted in about 6 months
>last 3 months have been the cleanest eating I've ever done
>visibly leaner than I've ever been despite no exercise (other than walking every day, doesn't count) than when I was lifting
>go to gym yesterday
>5kg's heavier than when I was actively lifting.

The fuck? How can I look the slimmest I've ever been but somehow way they most I ever have?

strawman

only triple beam scales are accurate

Shouldn't there be a tell though? Or am I overthinking it? I don't jerk/bend my back or anything when doing stuff like military press, but like I said, can't exactly tell if I'm working out those sections.

thinking about starting the texas method. should i throw in arm workouts on the rest days?

I had my testosterone tested and it resulted at 13.9, forgot what units, but 15 is the threshold between normie and what is recommended for good health, while 20-25 is optimal for bodybuilding.

I had done everything I could to reduce testosterone at that point (no smoking, was skinny, etc.) except watch my diet carefully (though it couldn't have been anti-androgenic) or exercise. Can I get above 15 exercising an hour a day and eating well?

I'm moving to a new place soon, and I'm thinking about picking swimming for cardio gains (and to fix my fucked up back)
I know the biggest challenge in training is always consistency, but is there anything specific about swimming that I should know?

Definitely start easy. Don't try to swim fast and burn out. Take your time between strokes and time your self. Then slowly start trying to put in more laps in the duration you swim (do this over a duration of weeks, not days). The slower you start off, the better.

This is interesting
What is a good duration for a workout according to you? Something like 40 minutes?

use light weight and go slow to make the muscle-mind connection

I need some help please. Every now and then whenever I work out, after about 5-10 minutes I get REALLY lightheaded, and shit gets really bright. I feel very forgetful as well then i need to calm myself down. Like my heart would be racing from a workout and id feel like im about to pass out. What the fuck is going on? Is it my diet or am i lifting too hard?
Any help/tips to avoid this would be greatly appreciated please. Thanks

Anyone got any idea for what I should move to after doing SL? Something tells me I'm getting to my limit and I want to do some research before I get there.

How much water should I be drinking? Ive lost 40 pounds so far but Im still 6ft, 235lbs. I feel like I havent been drinking enough and google gives me mixed results.

Drink to quench your thirst and maybe a little more

breathe

I wouldn't go over 30 mins of pure swimming (35-40 mins all up including breaks). You can always make the workout more intense by swimming faster. So you might start slow first 20 and then ramp it up by the final 10, and as you get used to it start ramping it up earlier. It really is like running, so yeah, you don't actually need too much time to get a really good workout.

Thank you for your answers user

I can't say about the test increase since I don't know. What I do know is that as long as you're within the normal natural limits of testosterone the difference between low- and high-end is very minimal when it comes to building muscle. Of course it sucks being in the low end since there is a difference but just know that it's super minor and the big difference only comes when you go to supranatural levels which are impossible to obtain without external test. This is also why it's quite irrelevant to try to "test boost" through diet/training/whatever natural means when you can make much, much more significant changes elsewhere (nutrition/training/sleep).

>eat fairly well, getting at last 3000kcals in
>don't gain weight for months
>decide fuck it and just gorge myself every meal
>literally eating to full every time I'm around food
>2 lbs in a month
and most of it was fat, probably, because I lost all the definition on my stomach. Why is getting bigger after lifting for years so hard?

i’m 5’9” 164 lbs and probably like 15-17%bf? I’m not near the size i want, particularly in arms and shoulders, but my legs and ass have grown to where i can’t fit into 5/6 pairs of jeans I own. is it time to cut? or push on a couple more months and really target my upper body?

my test was almost 14 and the lowest threshold was like 1 and the highest was at 23.5, my estradiol levels in contrast were actually pretty low (12.5 where the upper healthy limit was 40), I think it's a bit above the mean but you always crave more

Does anyone else get really stressed/feel like shit when they can't train for a few days? I hit myself pretty hard in a bicycle accident and my arm is swollen, so I can't lift for a 3 or more days, feel like absolute trash

yes, probably cos lifting is my life though

Bumping this.

Yes, lifting releases endorphins which are pretty cool guys.

Will I lose strength in my left arm considering that it's the only arm that got hurt? My other arm is fine.

Three days? Nah.

Is it best to always take a recovery day or is that only if you're doing full body workouts everyday?

how to relieve itchiness? the skin under my balls are sometimes so itchy, i scratched it so hard it left some small cuts. beside washing yourself (which i do), how to get rid of this? its driving me crazy.

full body yeah with a UL, PPL or body part split you can do workouts the next day

I was doing PPL ad nauseum and last week user in this thread told me to do PPLPPLx. He said I'd grow more on the last day than any of the other days. Is there any truth in this?

Can you define those terms?

PPL is push/pull/legs
UL is upper/lower

Lotion? Skin might be dry.

Probably cut your fingernails if you are ripping your junk up

I didn't have time to do the latter you mentioned.
And I wasn't confident in being able to eat less than 2k calories a day.
Bulking right out of the gate (dirty clean bulk, could have been muuuch better) helped me tremendously. I have the thickness of a damn rugby player. It's kinda dope.

How do you deal with being sick?

I haven't been to the gym since Tuesday

not the same user, but how is this a strawman retard

lads - am i body recomping right?

>31 y/o male
>not lifted for years
>5"11
>200 pounds (14.3 stone)

>eating 2k cals a day (500 deficit accoring to online calculators)
>lots of protein, mid fat/mid carbs
>SL 5x5 mon/wed/fri + 30 mins cardio after

is this enough to drop bodyfat/maybe build a little muscle/maintain strength?

How do people have whey protein with their oats/porridge. Every time I try to add some it takes like shit with little clumps of powder still in it.

I just started getting into fitness trying to lose some weight and shit I didnt realize how many calories I was eating.

Yesterday I had celery, a small bag of pork rinds, like 4 slices of salami, peanut butter, an apple, a handfull of sunflower seeds, 1 slice of bacon, 1 hard boiled egg, 2 string cheese and a small taco for lunch. I ended up at like 2300 calories. I gotta start tracking this shit more often.

How do I develop a more competitive mindset? Throughout my life I haven’t really cared about winning or competing with others at work, school or even bothered playing s sport. Now I realise that to get a job above minimum wage or attract a gf I have to compete with others.

Can you guys recommend a good app to track calories, nutrients and excercise?

Will you get calories drinking hot water?

Not sure if this is entirely fit related but diet is part of being fit so.. I got a wisdom tooth pulled a week ago.. is it safe to go back to my normal diet by now? I've been only eating soft foods and soup for the past week

Do I take away my calories burned from exercise and then eat that many calories per day?

For example, if I need 3500 calories to bulk, and burn 1000 training, do I need to eat 4500?

The texas method

Can i do snatch grip high pulls instead of cleans on bulgarian light?

What's the c25k for hiit?

Rest and pistol squats.

Yes

Blend it with milk and oats?

Start off with spinach, broccoli, sardines, egg whites, greek yogurt, and chicken as main staples in your diet. Nix the cheese, peanut butter, and sunflower seeds.

That is not true. Enter the mindset of the artist. He makes things because it makes his environment more pleasing and it entertains him. Being able to do a one-armed push-up is kinda fun. Looking good is kinda fun. That's a good enough reason to work out.

MyFitnessPal

Absolutely negligible amounts, so no.

stonebriarfaces.com/surgical-instructions/extractions/
I don't think there's harm in waiting one more week to be safe.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145737701
TDEE is total calories burned, including all exercise.

I've noticed that I can move my hand closer to the center if I shift it so that at the lowest phase, the back of my hand is touching my nose. This should theoretically get rid of any need to twist the body or spread the legs during the push-up, right?

Yes, but you need to eat, and I mean eat a lot.

when doing deadlifts are you supposed to push your butt forward or lift upwards, or a balance of both?
should i add in a bit of leg effort as well?
when i deadlifted i didnt feel my back actually rip, only my legs

If somebody is 150lb and they squat with a 150lb bar, is it considered a 150, or 300 squat?

oh and btw im doing it for the purpose of strength

Drank two tall boys after work. Not enough to be drunk, but what can I do after I sleep my 8 hours so my lifts wont suffer?

150 squat

if you're not drunk, it's literally nothing

Is leg extension as bad as Jeff says? I felt my knee today so I'm having second thoughts on doing it.

Leg extensions can be very intense on the knee joint. You're going to want to introduce the exercise very gradually over time. Don't do 10x10 on the leg extension machine first time you try it.

If you can tolerate the exercise just fine, you'll probably come out more resilient on the other side. But if you get cranky knees doing it, respect what your body is telling you.

I'm not new to the exercise, I worked it gradually and I'm doing really slow movements with less weight.
Today was the first time that I felt my knees instead of my quads. That's why I'm concerned.

Leg extensions are a bad exercise and leg extension machines should be removed from gyms.

Biomechanically speaking there is no common exercise that is as stressful on the joints. I abandoned them more than ten years ago and I do not teach anyone to do them.

If you've been doing leg extensions you can do leg press machine or squats or whatever.

I have to say I agree with you. I just don't believe in labeling any exercise as inherently "good" or "bad". It all depends.
But no, I don't exactly recommend it to anybody either.

Mix the whey into the milk/water first, then add that to the oats. Treat it like corn starch in cooking.

even if you're going to microwave it?

You could just run PPLPPLPPLPPLx if you don't want to rest as much. There's no law saying you need a rest day every seven days.

Veeky Forums, i'm 210 lbs at 5'9''. I only have a 30 inch waist but I have a beer gut. My main issue is diet. I love beer. I work as a construction so i'm lifting 100-150 lbs a day constantly. How can I get motivated to change my diet to gain muscle defenition instead of raw muscle?

Does anybody have that melatonin dosing infographic? I have a friend whos a turbo autist and needs to /SortHimselfOut/, mainly in his fluctuating sleep schedule. He sleeps like 14 hours in the middle of the day and its hurting his studies.

Finding a lot of conflicting information about when to drink my protein and even how much a day I should be having. Anyone care to weigh in?

gain muscle definition instead of raw muscle, m8 you can burn gain/lose fat and gain/lose muscle you don't have a dial for 'definition'
You have a physical job and you are not very tall if you start tracking your calories and clean up your diet you could be swoll with juicy forearms and still enjoy beers.

You need to work out what amount of protein total you require say 1.2g per kilo of body-weight then look at how much protein all your food is giving you, then if you are still not at your required protein you 'supplement' it with powder.
It likely doesn't matter much when you have it as there is indeed a lot of conflicting information.

Monday is my first day at the gym. Should I follow everything that the instructor says or what? I know some trainings that I want to do, should I ask him to teach me?
Also, should I try to put more weights every day?

Okay thanks!

Is there a limit on how much I should be getting from shakes though?

Do you eat well? Something very similar used to happen to me when I started lifting but wasn't eating enough.
Once I started eating a LOT more and taking supps (just whey protein and creatine) that lightheaded feeling went away completely.

So I just started doing deadlifts, and Ive been pretty dilligent about proper form, watching a bunch of youtube videos, practicing with an unloaded bar, and then watching myself in the mirror.

But I can still feel it in my lower back. It's not a pain (in fact it feels pretty good), but it feels like I activated my lower back muscles.

Is that normal, especially if you have a weak lower back? I'm thinking its from just the strain of keeping my back straight.

Is calorie cycling legit? Because I am fucking starved on the days that I lift, I'm trying to lose weight but all I think about on MWF is food. Can I increase my calories on those 3 days and decrease it for the other days just to balance it out?

It's a lower back exercise, where would you expect to feel it?

Chicken Thighs seems more economical friendly, What is the real differences between breasts and thighs?

If I switch to thighs, would I miss much?

What’s the opinion on Potato Bread and Salami deli meat? Seems like a good cheap deal for a lunch. And anything bad about cheese in general?

It is a lower back exercise, as you start to lift heavier weights you're going to notice your lats and traps being activated as well.

Heavier DL will give you more strength, but power is strength + speed. Training for Olympic lifts often involves working on breaking down a movement and focusing on just that phase - eg for clean and jerk you might train:
- heavy DL but drop bar at knee
- medium weight DL to kneee but focus on an explosive start
- general power cleans
- hang cleans to work on upper body aspect of the catch
- general OHP to work on jerk
- split squats for jerk

In training power you often will work in both sides of the strength-speed spectrum, aka light and fast vs slow and heavy, and in between. Form work becomes much more important for power training because power often is more about technique in the long-run, especially for injury prevention because of how much you are loading your joints. It takes way more force to move 45lbs very quickly than it does to move 90lbs slowly.

When in doubt drink more water. At minimum it will help to suppress hunger, and there’s generally no risk in drinking more water.