/fast/ #98 permanent member of the clean plate club edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

I can fap while fast?

Yes. You can also eat your semen and it won’t break your fast because you haven’t added anything new. A lot of us do it to help get through tough hunger pains.

Going on my first extended water fast tomorrow. Got potassium and sodium ready.

From what I've read, at it's most efficient, the body still needs about 10g/day of glucose in order to avoid breaking down protein.

Anyone know the best way to get that bit of glucose in? I don't mind if it "breaks the fast" in some autistic sense. I just don't want to lose protein while fasting.

>From what I've read, at it's most efficient, the body still needs about 10g/day of glucose in order to avoid breaking down protein.

Fatty acids have glycerol holding them together which is used for gluconeogenesis. Don't worry about muscle breakdown...

It's true?

Yes, which accounts for about 70g/day when the process is most efficient (on average). The brain needs about 80g/day to function. So, the last 10g/day can only be synthesized from protein.

>The brain needs about 80g/day to function
The brain runs on ketones. Also, you're literally worried about losing 10g of muscle while losing a pound of fat a day.... Do you think you'd lose less than 10g on a strict deficit?

10g of glucose does not necessarily come from 10g of muscle. I don't know the efficiency of the muscle fiber -> protein -> glucose process, but I imagine the effect is not so insignificant as to not merit thought

1 week of water fasting. down 20 lbs

I'd assume that a 4:1 protein:glucose would be fairly conservative. So to drop 20lbs in 20 days you're losing 800g of muscle or 1.76lbs. If you've ever had a lay off from lifting you'll know that putting on lost muscle is exceptionally easy, regardless of how it's lost.

The hardest part of building muscle is increasing nuclei proliferation. Once a muscle fiber has more nuclei from satellite cells, it takes years for them to dissipate. Regaining lost muscle is just a matter of nitrogen balance and enough calories for a few weeks.

Anecdotally I've lost 25lbs in about 3 months doing a deficit in the past, and just hit 20lbs in 28 days via fasting with a combo of OMAD, OMEOD and a couple of 3 day fasts and the fasting left me way bigger than the straight deficit. The deficit I got smaller and marginally leaner. Fasting just got me leaner.

don't go overboard,
1 tbsp of semen has about 7 calories
don't eat more than 7 or you will break the fast

I feel really cold and tired after 24 hours. Should I add more salt to the water?

so i just made my snake juice and plan to go 5 days of fasting 2 off, what do i do only my 2 days off? im assuming i eat my caloric limit of 1500 calories and call it a day?

nicce
hope you start lifting soon

It’ll be easiest if you stay in ketosis those two days. You don’t have to, but the first few days getting your body into ketosis is the worst. I wouldn’t want to go through that every week.

thanks for the reply, ill keep it in mind

That’s so good work user. Keep it up.

Is it ok to take Tylenol or Advil while fasting?
inb4 snake juice. It’s not a out of electrolytes headache.

coming on 2 weeks of fasting and i need to start thinking about refeeding
for the first day i was planning on having some beef stock with spinach and a side dish of kimchi (since fermented food are amazing for gut health)
then some yoghurt (for the probiotics) with blueberries

will this be ok or am i asking for a trip to the hospital

You’ll be fine with that. The big worries come from massive over eating or huge insulin spikes.

Day 2 / 3 here. Dropped 2lbs so far according to scales but I'm well aware this is nothing besides water weight etc.
I'm waiting on my potassium chloride before I make the snake juice, and I'm planning on crushing a multivit + mineral tablet into it. What's the max days I can go before requiring snake juice? Anything I need to worry about?
Also I've been told mixed things regarding metabolism, should I try to do low level exercise like walking on my cross trainer to keep my metabolism up or is this completely unnecessary?

how long do i have to dry fast for autophagy to start? Am i just being thirsty for a day or do i actually get effects from this?

I decided to do it, today was my first day of OMAD. So far not too bad, but all I have really done is not eat one meal(I kind of naturally only ate twice a day anyway).

My question for you lot is, how much should I eat during my window? Should I aim for the daily caloric goals I might have set normally, or something like 50-66% of that?

I watched the video and it sold me on doing this, but it didn't give me the insight into what I actually need to be doing to make this thing work other than how to snek juice.

bump

can i run during fasting?

halfway dry fasting. feeling shit.
I also drank only some cafveve for some autophagy increase.

I keep losing weight but I still look like I'm at the same body fat percentage. Am I just losing muscle mass?

how do you lads get your potassium and sodium daily intake during water fasting?
I think I'ma try it

>colic a few days into the fast
literally how

Can we talk about our hearts while fasting?
According to my FitBit, mine is a piece of shit and I've been paying attention to it closely during this most recent fast.
>86hrs into this most recent fast
>Just walked up a flight of stairs
>Minute later (while sitting) heart goes nuts so I check fitbit, 135bpm out of fucking nowhere
>Slowly returns to ~80 in a few seconds

Does anyone else experience these little rushes?
Is this about where I start to get concerned and call it off until I go for some more walks?
I've noticed my resting BPM is a bit lower while fasting, and that's normal.

Here's all my data since Dec 7th.
Lot of experimenting with all this as it's super new to me.

>Lost 18lbs during 3 fasts. (5 days, 4 days, 4 days)
>Experimented with truly dirty/awful refeeds during those to see what would happen
>Continued losing weight on the first one, gained on the two after (they were consecutive)
>Ate like a trashcan over the holidays
>Experimented with OMAD which was fantastic for 3 days but then started gaining again
>Continued eating like shit, lots of social events.
>Started fasting again, down 16lbs overall at this point, 86hrs in currently, have a few more days to go before I do drugs at Above & Beyond so I'll refeed and reset my body before then.

> tfw i threw myself out of ketosis after a month of IF + 24/48 fasting by drinking beer and eating tendies on saturday

Does 16 hour fast, 8 hour eat windows actually do anything or is it just a meme?

Is drinking sugar free, carb free isotonic drinks okay whilst fasting?

i put my dad on it and he's lost a bit of weight

wet fasting as long as possible is way better though

lads, I've never done this before
how do you get your /thread/ recommended daily intake of sodium and potassium?
I can see measuring salt and putting it in the water but potassium? Do you take potassium pills?

One study on trained subjects over 8 weeks indicated slightly better (statistically significant) fat mass loss than a conventional caloric restriction. Improves a few biomarkers of health and longevity marginally. is right though, so long as you aren't already a skellington

Buy some potassium chloride or try to get low sodium salt and figure out the ratio

It's for maintenance once you're lean.

why would I want low sodium salt if I want extreme sodium supps to complement my water-only diet?

Because they make up for the low sodium chloride with potassium chloride

Anyone got an answer for this?

Just water and salt, my man. Stop trying to cheat.

low sodium salt is a good source of potassium

Just crossed the 18 hr threshold on my first day fasting. Feelsgoodman

>breaking 8 day fast with home made chicken soup
>I thought preparing ingredients was bad enough
>that smell when it's cooking
Just one more hour of cooking time, I'm dying here, I was never more hungry in my life.

will drinking a sips put me out of my fast...? im assuming so because its got 8g of carbs

since this seems to be the new fast.... cross posting

It suggests for women to start with intermittent fasting 2-3 times a week and non consecutive days. If i choose tuesday & thursday and the 8 hour eating span to fast, does this mean i stop eating monday at 8pm and then eat noon to 8pm on tuesday and then on wednesday eat when i wake up? Or do i get to eat normally on monday?

inb4 full fast; most of the websites regarding women say its easy to fuck up horomones, fertility cycle and then general health because body is sensitive to these changes.

yes, try steroids