/fast/ #98 - Finally made a new thread before we died edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

>Even eating 50g of sugar is less catabolic than eating nothing for the entire fucking day
Eating causes insulin secretion which inhibits HGH secretion, which continually comes in larger and larger spurts as the fast continues. HGH is the reason muscle catabolism is essentially 0 so long as you aren't doing prolonged intense activity that mandates the need for glucose. That's fine when you're eating sufficiently, but even a moderate caloric deficit with regular eating throughout the day is more catabolic for muscle tissue than pure fasting.

>Do you also know that muscle proteins are being broken down for literal gluconeogenesis
Nearly none. Body fat is a saturated fat with a glycerol backbone holding it all together which is readily used by the body for gluconeogenesis. The body also increases autophagy, cellular recycling by 300% after 24 hours, and 330% by hour 72. This process scavenges for broken cells, destroys them, and uses the amino acids from them as well.

While there are a few tissues that require glucose, the brain is not one of them, and functions off of ketones. Urine levels of urea, a by product of protein metabolism, plummet to nearly 0 once in a fully fasted state. Indicating very little protein is being broken down into glucose.

>How the fuck could a diet that literally deprives you of ANY exogenous nutrients grant more benefit than a diet that doesn't?
It's fasting, not starving. You don't fast if you're lean. You fast if you're fat. You do OMAD to stay lean and make gains. Your body has evolved over millions of years to do exactly that.

tl;dr Fasting is the holy grail of rapid fat loss with the greatest muscle sparring effect

whats with the pictures for these threads?

How do people manage to fast when they work a labor intensive job???

If you cannot control your cravings while looking at the photo, you are not worthy of entering the thread.

They don't.

under a fast, body fat accounts for about 70g of glucose per day when this process is at its most efficient (about 4 days in)

protein accounts for about 10g/day

It's not as insignificant as you may think

I started at 350.4 and reached 305. I fasted all December and took a break this month. I dropped 45 lbs during the fast and gain 18 lbs back in January. I will fast starting tomorrow until the beginning of March. Then I will do OMAW. Should I fast longer this time?

>I fasted all December

you're a fucking beast man that's amazing

I've found that the best way of doing this is to increase it incrementally when you feel happy with the level you are operating at and feel that you want to lose weight faster (which is why we fast longer, to remain in pure ketosis longer)

I started off doing 5:2 Fasting last November and increased it incrementally as I felt able to cope and (frankly) fasting just got easier the more I did it.

I'm currently operating at OMAW (i.e. One Meal A Week and 144hour fast through the other days).

The only reason I have stopped at this point is that I have a weekly dinner engagement that goes through until mid-March, after which point I will gradually increase it to 30-days, which is the limit that I feel is safe.

The key thing is to stop if you encounter problems, resolve those problems and then try again.

can someone answer this

Second day of fasting, going for 4 days. I can't wait to re-feed and then eat a huge meal. I've lost almost 20 pounds in 2 months.

This. My job involves a lot of moving about, walking, on my feet all day, and that's too much with so little energy. I'm doing my fast when I'm off for 2 weeks in a few days. Only gonna be for 7 days though, unless I feel like going for longer.

no dude, just go straight to lifting

Will fasting really kill my acne?

I wonder if the increased autophagy from prolonged fasting will remove gyno

CAn you lads detail your fas protocols?
Like did you just walk for excersise during? And lfiting at all?
Were you replacing electrolytes and snake juice?
Congratulations btw

>Will fasting really kill my acne?
Not definitely, but some people with acne and other skin problems (blackheads, etc.) have found that fasting helps or even cures their condition.

Very much a case of Your Mileage May Vary.

I still have a lot of weight to lose before going back to lifting after a long break, should be getting started again around April.

My main exercises are cardio / resistance training and swimming.

I use a set daily regime for electrolytes replacement and vitamins (which some think excessive)

Snake Juice recipe:
===================
1 litre of water
1 teaspoon of "NoSalt" (mix of salt and potassium)
1 teaspoon of pink salt
1 teaspoon of cayenne

Take separately in single shot Daily mixed with water:
======================================================
2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon of lemon juice

Vitamins and Supplements:
=========================
Glucosamine Sulphate 500mg & Vitamin C 12mg tablet
Cod Liver Oil 550mg tablet
Vitamin B Complex tablet
4 x 120 Multi-vitamins + iron tablets

I wonder if the autophagy thing would eat up the massive sheets of skin that 500+ lb fatties always end up with, like in my 600 lb life. And I mean not eating for over a year, like that scottish guy did.

too bad there aren't more pics of him after the fast, but he doesn't appear to have a flap of skin hanging off his neck like a lot of the ex-super fatties do. I wonder if had any loose skin at all.

Can you imagine if in the future, doctors put people on fasting regimes to heal loose skin and no one ever has to have those massive scars ever again?

That obese-to-beast faggot should try fasting

>Glucosamine Sulphate
Why? Doesnt that break a fast?
>Cod Liver Oil
Same question?

In December I mostly sat around since college was out. Now, I will probably walk a mile a day.

Dry fasting is meant to help with this, but I only speak anecdotally, I've not reached that stage / had that problem yet.

Ask me again in March...

I use keto sticks to measure the level of my ketosis and after 36hours fasting I am and remain in deep ketosis and don't leave until I end the fast.

So the answer is "Maybe theoretically" but not practically.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Talking about excessive skin, I'm worried about that and I was thinking to just go back to some less agressive weight loss method for the last few kgs to avoid getting excessive skin but does it really matter that much to me ? My starting weight was 100kg, currently at 88kg and my goal is 73kg, no excess skin at this time but there's still a bunch of weight to lose.

>73kg
Are you a little girl?
Dude im sorry but i dont understand how that relates to my question at all. IM still wondering why you took them. And considering gluco is an amino wouldnt that inhibt autophagy?

It seems to be the biggest problem for the largest people. Because their calorific intake is so huge when they start fasting they lose a lot and they lose it very quickly.

For those of use who are in the Obese Category I and Overweight BMI ranges we don't lose that much or that quickly, so its less of an issue (but not "not an issue").

Dry fasting seems insane. Way to max your kidney stone gains.

Then I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.

>tfw little to no libido while on fast

I'm 172cm tall and have next to no muscle mass, 73kg puts me at the edge of healthy bmi scale which seems good enough to me.

IM saying why are you taking gluco and cod liver oil.

So get some muscle mass

This "breaking the fast" thing is getting old. While fasting, you burn your TDEE every day. If you take an oil tablet with say, 20 calories, then you burn your TDEE-20. Not much of a difference, unless you're a smurf or some shit.

I agree, but whilst it has risks it also has potential benefits that other forms of fasting do not seem to have.

When you are fighting the last few pounds or skin issues dry fasting seems to be more effective.

The key is to keep it to a reasonable level (say 48hours) and hydrate thoroughly afterwards as well as ensure a reasonable break between dry fasts not to overly stress the kidneys.

I actually don't care at all about getting shredded or going to the gym, I just want to stop being fat for once in my life.

Im talking more about inhibiting autophagy. Amino acid stimulates mtor and shuts it down. Did you not know that? And for the 4th time why even do it at all? Im not saying youre wrong im just asking why

>IM saying why are you taking gluco and cod liver oil.

Because I have always taken them and they don't seem to be having any measurable effect on my fasting or the results I am looking for.

Agreed, you just described yourself as a lanklet. Just start bulking than fast it off after you make some muscle gains.

ok for the 5th time, im still wondering why you are taking them at all ever. Dude are you seriously retarded or what?

I'm not at a stage where autophagy is my primary concern. My primary concern at the moment is losing the weight gain since I got married in 2000 which is something like 30 KG (68lbs).

When I get back into lifting in April I may be concerned about autophagy then and remove those from my daily supplements.

Given that I am fasting 144hrs a week currently, I am more concerned about problems arising from vitamin, mineral and micronutrient deficiencies.

The moment I started to take vitamins, my headache disappeared.

>>Even eating 50g of sugar is less catabolic than eating nothing for the entire fucking day
huh?

>why you are taking them at all ever
Because in 1998 I began suffering from gradual loss of feeling in my arms and legs which was initially thought to possible be a form of MS.

When tests rejected MS it was thought that it might be pernicious anemia, so I had to swallow a radioactive liquid and then collect all of my urine for the next week for it to be measure.

It turns out that my body does not process vitamin B12 very well and that was the cause of all my symptoms, but it took a month of me thinking I had a terminal illness to be told that I just needed a booster shot of B12 and to take vitamin tablets.

Not going through that fucking nightmare again.

Happy now?

Because I’ve always taken them, and they don’t seem to cause any ill effects.

Actually that isn’t me. I’m more of a skinnyfat. 6’1” 180 at like 16-18% body fat. I thought I should fast down to like 10% and then start building muscle.

Cutting fat to less than 12% will bring out those abs when you really get into lifting.

Takes a lot of time and effort though.

Less "going to the gym" than "having a second life".

Yes that makes sense thank you
OK whose pretending to be who exactly?

I need to lose 100 lbs as quickly as possible, I'm currently 309 lbs (at 5'11") so most of my body is fat.
I am also taking vitamin supplements and doing various exercises with dumbbells and body weight exercises on a daily basis.
How often and what should I eat? Should I just try going for as many days as I can without eating a single thing? How do I best deal with hunger pains? Just drink water (and eat some salt)?

Fasting will prove that you are responsible for your own actions.

Short answer:
Yes

Long answer:
Also yes.

Just look up "Snake Diet" on youtube and watch as much as you possibly can.

You can shed that weight easily.

Lost 18lbs in 14 days (Ate 3 big fucking dirty meals in between 3 separate fasts)

Back into it now at 72h and have been losing 1lb every 10 hours. down 7 something as of now.

What's the best fast for a mini-cut? I've been bulking for around 3 months now and would like to shed a little fat then continue the bulk. Would IF be best or just water fast for a few days?

just water fast. Do some intense cardio on the first day to get into ketosis faster

Do you do the cardio during the fast, or cardio then start the fast right after? Also any tips on how long to fast for, or just until I've leaned down enough

>How often and what should I eat?
Your choice really, some people fast for sub-day periods, others do 5:2 (2 days worth of fasting every week), still others do multiday fasts anywhere from 2 days or until they hit their weight goal (like the guy who fasted for 392 days). It's entirely up to you.

What worked for me and anecdotally for others on /fast/ was starting off with small fasts and then expanding them each week to do longer and longer fasts.

I'm currently doing 6:1 (6 days fasting, 1 day off) each week also known as OMAW (One Meal A Week)

>Should I just try going for as many days as I can without eating a single thing?
You can try, but the first fast is pretty much the worst, so better off to aim for a 48 or 72 hour fast and see where you get than try for something hard first time around.

>How do I best deal with hunger pains? Just drink water (and eat some salt)?
The first 3 or 4 days fasting are the worst, not sure why, maybe withdrawal symptoms, but after that they pretty much stop completely.

You still get reminders from your body to eat (Grehlin waves?), but I drink black, unsweetened tea when I get those and it goes away.

The only way you will ever know if fasting can work for you is to give it a try and don't just quit when the hunger starts.

Either one as long as you don't eat any carbs during that last meal.

2-3 days is about the most difficult length; it gets easier after that. You can extend your fast by breaking it with a keto meal and then starting again.

How do I prepare for a dry fast? I'm only planning on doing one and a half day.

I do cardio throughout as it helps TDEE and keeps your alertness up. Also fasting on its own can be really boring.

Just don't do anything excessively strenuous (like lifting). Save that for your non-fasting periods.

Start, then stop when done.

Since dry fasting requires no consumption of fluids or solids it requires pretty much no preparation.

Might be an idea to hydrate first though.

Thanks guys, huge help. Should hopefully have abs for the first time ever soon wew

This is a mistake, because you will just look like a smaller version of yourself when you're done. You're going about this wrong. If your goals are aesthetic, then learn to whittle your fat levels down whilst preserving your sanity and giving your body enough food to be able to lift a little bit as you diet. You will look a LOT better over the long term doing it that way. You are jumping on an idea that you think is easy and foolproof (don't eat), but you will end up looking like shit and doing damage to your body going this route. Caution is advised.

How do you keep fasting even when you’re hungry and craving food hardcore?

Day 2 / 3 here. Dropped 2lbs so far according to scales but I'm well aware this is nothing besides water weight etc.
I'm waiting on my potassium chloride before I make the snake juice, and I'm planning on crushing a multivit + mineral tablet into it. What's the max days I can go before requiring snake juice? Anything I need to worry about?
Also I've been told mixed things regarding metabolism, should I try to do low level exercise like walking on my cross trainer to keep my metabolism up or is this competel unnecessary?

Don't eat

Let me repeat again, I really don't care how I look like or how I'm going to look like. I'm fasting for the sole purpose of stopping being fat, mind blowing isn't it ?

I've gone 14 days with no snake juice before, but I felt like absolute shit. I literally laid in bed and did nothing after day 5. So make it as soon as you can, and sip throughout the day as needed. As far as metabolism, it won't slow down anymore than is normal considering that you are getting smaller with the weight loss. You'd be fine doing no exercise, but keep it light if you insist.

>What's the max days I can go before requiring snake juice?

You should be able to go 3 days without snake juice, maybe even 4.

You could just use a salt water solution in the meantime, this would address the biggest factor (sodium depletion), while it wouldn't address the potassium.

Simple rule of thumb with fasting is, if you don't feel well (tingling, aching, numbness, headaches) and it isn't caused by not enough water, stop the fast.

You can then correct the problem immediately by eating, then research where you are going wrong, fix it and restart the fast.

The great thing about fasting is that even if you break your fast you still end up retaining the benefit of the fasting you've already done.

You're not alone man, many people come to /fast/ for that reason alone and really don't participate or even understand the lifting part.

For me, /fast/ is just the first stage, whereas lifting is the second stage, since I see building strength as secondary to getting thin again, but the two are both stages on my journey.

>OMAD Day 18.
>compound lifting and cardio 5 times a week
>lost 1" off chest
>lost 4" off waist
>lost 1" off hips
>lost 5lb body weight
Switching up to eating 1 meal at 1200cal at 10:00AM instead of dinner

6foot 229lb

Waist: 40"

Am i making it?

Awesome, hope the KCl arrives soon so I can get that mixed up into SJ. Opinions on the multivit + minerals tab crushed up into the liquid? They'll be Tesco value tabs if you want the nutritional value just Google Tesco multivitamin + minerals.
Appreciate the advice!

>For me, /fast/ is just the first stage, whereas lifting is the second stage, since I see building strength as secondary to getting thin again, but the two are both stages on my journey.

Shut up faggot gym shill.
You worse then that faggot who's been shilling "snakejuice" for the last few months.

I'm not sure you should do that, some of them are designed to be broken down by the stomach acid and some of them are water soluble but simply not designed to be taken that way.

Neck them dry like a man!

(or I guess you could drink them with a glass of water like I do)

>Shut up faggot gym shill.
You worse then that faggot who's been shilling "snakejuice" for the last few months.

I figured as I'd be sipping the SJ over the day I could just shake the bottle before each sip and end up taking all the vits and mins I need per day? I could definitely take them as they are I was just worried they might not get digested at all (usually say to take with a meal)

You need to cut back on the roids man.

Take a double dose on non-fasting days?

For most people without a dietary problem (mine is weak B12 absorption from food) they get enough vitamins and minerals that the supplements they take are in excess of the body's needs any way and the liver/kidney just pulls the excess and flushes it away.

Don't get paranoid about them.

I'm eating breakfast tomorrow

Has anyone here tried one meal a week (OMAW)? I see my kids once a week for a few hours (custody issue) and want to be able to have dinner with them. How much weight can I expect to lose and are there any benefits you get on longer fasts that I wouldn't get with OMAW?

I don't have non fasting days

So I've been OMAD and keto etc for 4 months or so, really comfortable with it. Pretty close to being as lean as I want. How difficult will it be to maintain comfortable OMAD if i become less strict with keto?

Yes, currently operating on a OMAW regime, although I have worked up to this incrementally, I didn't go all out and do OMAW from day one.

Rate of loss at the moment is about 7lbs per week, but I'm only doing cardio and swimming, nothing excessive and my work is a desk job, so about as sedentary as you get.

If I pushed I could easily increase my TDEE and therefore my rate of weight loss, but I'm happy with my current level.

Then I would recommend the Yoda option.

Take or Do Not Take, the choice is yours.

Thank you. Is that one meal a week keto?

I'm a recovering binge eater and I binged recently. I then got sick from bingeing. I'm now fasting for as long as I possibly can out of punishment and to prove to myself that I have the willpower to do so. I'm hoping that the pain and shame will be enough to keep me from repeating that mistake.

It's a huge, medium rare t-bone steak without anything sauce, sides or even mustard.

I'm salivating thinking about it (tonight @ 19:30hrs)

How keto is that?

If am having One Meal A Week its gonna be a fucking steak.

I have like pharmacy grade chewing gums with flour etc and it has calories in them. Is the calories used by the body or is there an exception because you don't actually swallow them.

Great, now I have saliva all over my shirt... and I'm only 24 hours in.. first fast though. Will I make it brahs?

Try asking the man in the mirror. He's the only one that can give you an honest answer.

keep trying
ive done 7 or 8 fasts that lasted only one day
they have been easier each time
i now think im ready for a longer fast

WAT

Not sure if it helps, but I found that a gradual move through things like OMAD (One Meal A Day) helped to control food issues.

Diving straight into fasting may help, but it may also be just another aspect of the issues you have with food.

I'm not trying to be negative, simply making the observation.

>WAT
He on prescription chewing gum...I think...

it's like "whiten your teeth" gum instead of candy gum and it has calories. does the saliva pick up calories or whatever even if you don't swallow it?

your tongue has enzymes that break down some of it and it goes down your throat when you swallow saliva

Thank you. I'm also pretty broke until pay day on the 31st so it's either fast or worry about gas to get to work as well. I'm pretty much in a bad spot so kind of masking the being broke by trying to trick myself into thinking I'm choosing to do it of my own volition. Lol. I will keep that in mind though, but I did try omad and didn't count my calories like an idiot and wound up overeating. I do need to fix my relationship with food.

thanks

In all seriousness, if it has calories then it is probably because it has got something sugary or sugar like as flavouring / flavour enhancer or similar.

Even if it is "sugar free" it might have sucralose, aspartame or one of the other sugar substitutes.

While these do not add calories, they can trigger an insulin response (which you don't want)

Curious how you do OMAD in the morning. When I tried that once I had troubles sleeping due to hunger pangs, so I had to move my meal to later before bed.