Farmer Walk

How far do you guys go? Pretty sure I just went close to 400ft on mine.

4 laps around my farm.

What weight do you use, user?

I only did 60s. I haven't done that exercise to that length before and I wanted to test the waters for the first time.

bad for spine?
im thinking loading up some sort of backpack would be better

>im thinking loading up some sort of backpack would be better

Double wrong.

Firstly, your spine is in its safest position under loading with the weight balanced directly over your spine. A backpack will invariably shift the center of mass of the loading away from your spine.

Secondly, farmers walks are mainly intended to train grip strength and the traps, neither of which will be targeted if the loading is in the form of a backpack.

A backpack is more like a strongman yoke, just shitter. It is not a substitute for farmers walks.

Can confirm its good. Depending on weight make sure ur straps are comfy and strong. Can make an evening walk a high test affair.

my gym just got a trapbar, i can do 225lbs for 110m, need to work on my grip a lot, but i don't think its that bad though

Just lean into it a bit and allow your abs to bear a lot of the weight.

All the way back from the grocery

I'm not super experienced with farmer's walks, as I no longer have access to proper implements.

But I will say that everybody who thinks they're doing farmer's walk using a couple of DBs are mistaken. Trust me when I say that funny things start happening once you approach your bodyweight in each hand. This cannot be compared to a couple of just semi-heavy DBs. It's an entirely different exercise.

Go heavy or go home.

Just something to think about.

200kg 20ft walk

100lbs in each hand walking about 100'x10. sometimes if I feel like being a memefag I'll slap some fat grips on

400ft seems far. To me anyway. Presently working my way up to 100% of bodyweight for 100ft 4x, supersetting then with 4x10 dumbbell shrugs. Presently at about 70% of bodyweight, but still progressing.

As a civil engy, can confirm axial loads is better for a column than wearing a backpack, so put weights nearest spinal column

Someone who knows the human body pls confirm if spinal column and the ligaments / muscles / tendons of adjoining members support best an axial load at shoulder width applying force through each member of spine to hips to legs to feet.

Not smart to apply lateral or mixed loads as maybe counters to these forces require other structures to compensate and maybe not best for the human body ?

Maybe best to just stand still, ensure an erect spinal column, feet still and firmly planted to the floor, and do a farmers stand instead.

200m/1 lap around my college rec centers indoor track

That's not a farmer's walk. That's stealing dumbbells. They're supposed to challenge your traps and your abs.

Wear straps

>That's not a farmer's walk. That's stealing dumbbells.
Underrated post

How do you think that loading one side of your spine is safer than loading two opposite sides equally?

Honestly, I prefer trap gods. Take some plates (harder to hold, so grip strength increases), then walk 3 steps, shrug 3times, repeat. It's better because it engages traps more actively, and you have reps.

>Trust me when I say that funny things start happening once you approach your bodyweight in each hand.
like?

Trap bar walks with 225 for what is probably like 20 meters down and back
Usually twice

>That's stealing dumbbells.
nice one

>2018
>Not doing Farmer's Runs instead