It’s crazy how some people have absolutely no self-respect for their bodies and minds whatsoever...

It’s crazy how some people have absolutely no self-respect for their bodies and minds whatsoever. I think I’m really starting to understand these FPH threads now that I’m experiencing it second hand.
I have a friend who, over the last several months, has really let himself go. Not only is he getting fat, but he’s staying inside ALL the time, doesn’t even go out to hang out with his friends, and isn’t taking care of his personal hygiene. He seems to not give a shit AT ALL and it completely boggles my mind.
How is such a thing even possible? You would think an adult person would realize that the cons of being a fat, unattractive, lazy, boring loser would greatly outweigh any possible benefits, right??

Your friend is showing the signs of depression. You should start trying to spend time with him before he kills himself.

The thing is, he was diagnosed and put on antidepressants last year, before all this happened. I just don’t understand why he is showing more symptoms now after taking shit that should have made him feel better.
Also like come on, I get that depression takes a toll on you but god damn he could at least take 5 minutes a day for a shower.

people aren't rational actors

I guess not but i would still think an adult male would at least have the mental capacity to think logically about his lifestyle choices

you're a shitty friend and I hope you get depression so you can see just how motivation and energy sapping it is

Fuck you man, this guy clearly cares about his friend, he took the time to make a thread about it to gather thoughts on how he can understand and help his mate. Don't put him down yet

OP, you gotta talk to your nigga, even the most eta friends I got open up pretty well if you take, genuine, honest interest in their health and wellbeing, be frank about things, if he pushes you away, he might have bigger problems you are unaware of.

Human brain chemistry is a ridiculous, finicky little cocksucker. Antidepressants don't always start to work right away, and may not even work at all. I shit you not, it can take years to find the right dose of the right pill.

I don’t understand how I am a shitty friend when I am doing all I can without acting like i’m this guys fucking mom. I try to invite him to shit, but he just wants to stay in his room. I try to let him know that he ought to bathe and clean himself, and he doesn’t. I invite him to go lift with me, he doesn’t. There’s only so much I can do as his friend.

Antidepressants suck. They probably didn't work for him and his depressive episode progressed into this state, as it would have anyway.

>I get that depression takes a toll on you but god damn he could at least
Depression makes him not care at all, which why he doesn't find the motivation to do anything. The good news is that he is less likely to kill himself right now. Also, depressive episodes tend to go away on their own eventually, so you can just wait and hope for the best.

Those antidepressants are poison. All they are good for is making your shit life mildly more tolerable. they're meant for lonely housewives who have nothing else to do to improve their boring lives. Your friend needs someone to drag his ass off the couch and into the gym to lift heavy weights and run until he falls down. That is the best thing for his situation. The pills are just making him content with failure at life.

you're ignorant as fuck. go talk to his family and other friends to help him because your friend is likely getting close to suicide, and it sounds like his medication isn't helping.

I don’t get it. If you had a cold, you would do everything in your power to get better, right? You would get plenty of sleep, stay hydrated, etc. You may not be able to completely rid your body of the disease but you can help it do so with some easy steps.
So I don’t understand why the same isn’t applicable to depression. I’m sorry but if you think you are depressed and you:
-Sit in front of a screen for 95% of the day
-Don’t exercise
-Have a bad diet
-Don’t make the slightest effort to socialize with people
I can’t take you seriously because it’s like your not even trying to help yourself.

Durrr, that's what depression is. You stop giving a fuck about your life. It's not that they're just sad all the time.

a cold is a much more simple affliction than depression and you don't really need to consciously do anything to get over it so that's not a great analogy

I was like that before bro.
>1 year earlier
I had literally no friends except on computer and i was only playing league.
But now i train like daily and i know some people where i can chill with.
My life changed hard, dont be the guy who makes thoughts about others, you gotta make thoughts about yourself to improve.

Yeah idk i guess i’m an idiot but you catch my drift. He was obviously aware enough to pursue medication, you would think he would be aware enough to make some small changes to his lifestyle

I know it's frustrating watching people spiral

Sometimes medication is sold as the easy way out, but it really doesn't work like that. I'm a strong believer in healthy body healthy mind. Your friend needs to try to get healthy and fit before any medication is considered. I know it helped me.

> dont be the guy who makes thoughts about others, you gotta make thoughts about yourself to improve.
Yeah i wouldn’t give a shit except this dude is my friend. I’m pissed off because I know he’s not living his best life

>should've made you feel better
oh user, I have some bad news for you about those doctors and their pills

That’s exactly my thought. But he is so unbelievably reluctant to lift with me. And he’s already on medication.

>This
I am on meds for years myself. I experienced severe depression... Althoug the pills helped a bit. What changed my life was getting my ass up, lifting heavy weights, training martial arts, change my wardrobe, working hard for my law degree, in a nutshell getting my life together.
I even got a qt gf last year!
Talk to your friend! I wished somebody did the same to me in those dark times. Instead a realised that I can't trust my so called friends. They let you fall like a hot potato when shit hits the fan.

I know m8, I’ve always been against taking meds to alter your brain chemistry. In 99% of cases it’s a matter of lifestyle choices that will fix depression, anxiety, etc.

Don't stop reaching out. Even if he won't go out to bars or to lift with you at least text him every week. Make him feel important even though he doesn't want it.

(cont.) he may not even respond but he will read the texts and it might one day motivate him to be a better person so he can get up and get out and do it.

If that doesn't work start calling him a shithead who needs to get his life together. And that you won't stop bugging him until he reaches his potential.

>Why don't antidepressants work
user, I.....

Maybe actually try talking to your supposed "friend" and ask him to say what's inside him
so he can break down and let go of all the emotions he traps inside him everyday.
Be his shoulder to cry on if you're his friend.

muh depression