/hmg/ - Health and Mobility General

In /hmg/ we exchange health advice concerning injuries regarding joints (synovial and not so), muscle tissue, fascia, and anecdotal treatment of said issues, as well as warm up routines, cutting edge research, and consumer goods that have assisted us in our quest to attain optimum health.

End goal would be to create a modern wiki like website (with sensible design guidelines) with the amalgamation of knowledge from these generals, and we should also create infographics and add info to the Veeky Forums wiki.

Things to discuss: knees, shoulders, back and cervical pain, stiffness, hypermobility, hypomobility, GAPS diet, voodoo flossing, foam rolling, EPI therapy, active/passive hanging, isometric/active/passive/dynamic/static/ballistic stretching, cryosauna, products and where you got them /csg/ style.

>NEWS
None so far

>PRODUCTS
ZERO

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/253395602550
darebee.com/workouts/monster-legs-workout.html#sets
youtube.com/watch?v=HoE-C85ZlCE
youtube.com/watch?v=xPwG2hqnOx0
ebay.com/itm/253395848536
vitamindcouncil.org/how-much-vitamin-d-is-needed-to-achieve-optimal-levels/
youtube.com/watch?v=GZG_9O_mAgM
youtube.com/watch?v=1YHIV4a81Os
youtube.com/watch?v=y4Wo095zPnc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've had shoulder problems over the years, and, more recently, knee problems. Fixed both with a latex resistance band that I bought on eBay a few weeks ago.

Shoulder: left shoulder felt chronically stiff and out of place, cracked constantly.
Did voodoo flossing with the resistance band, then afterwards did some dislocates with it by folding it in half, as I've recently learned about the importance of rhomboid recruitment, and both my neck and shoulder feel fine. It's been two weeks now.

Knees: fell at the beach and twisted my left knee. Can't ride bikes (literally :^]) because the knee swells up and becomes inflamed. Wrapped that band TIGHT around the patella, did some ATG squats, some lunges and what not to draw fluids into the joint, good as new. Once a week is fine for me but I recommend getting two resistance bands (1.5mm for maximum tension, most fitness kikes sell 1 and 1.3mm ones for about $30, don't get ripped off).

Which reminds me, I fixed my girlfriend's bad ankle and my grandmother's bad knee with it. Once a week and it works wonders, no discomfort.

Pic related. Got mine for cheap on eBay (and it's fucking 1.5mm): ebay.com/itm/253395602550

I was doing RDLs today and my left shoulder was kinda feeling weird. I sometimes felt a sharp but small pain on my shoulder blade, but in general it didn't hurt, it just felt like I was about to hurt it. Any idea what might be wrong?

>I sometimes felt a sharp but small pain on my shoulder blade
From what angle exactly? Does it crack? Usually that type of pain is associated with a knot in your rhomboid muscle. A tennis ball should be able to help you, but you have to fold your arm behind your back in an L-shape before attempting to roll on it.
If you are sure it's not a knot there, then it's probably your rotator cuff and you should do some voodoo flossing with a resistance band.

stretch your pec minor guys, if this muscle gets tight it will pinch a nerve

It happened mid rep, no crack, just felt a small pinch. I'll try the tennis ball thing. Also a bit related, my right knee cracks while doing squats, what do?

Also it's worth noting that any sort of shoulder pain should be followed by a trip to the hospital to get an MRI. More often than not, it's a bunch of ligaments that are either torn, or about to tear. Both my mother and my grandpa have severely damaged shoulders now because of their repetitive movements and lack of conditioning. Mum is currently being subjected to EPI, which is essentially acupuncture with a small camera and shocks.

>It happened mid rep, no crack, just felt a small pinch
Try different ROMs.
If your knee cracks ONCE it's fine. If it cracks every single time, not so much, especially if it's followed by pain or swelling of the joint. In which case... you guessed it right, voodoo flossing.

Yeah it cracks every rep, no pain or swelling though. I'll try that voodoo flossing and hopefully it will help

>'ll try that voodoo flossing and hopefully it will help
Be careful not to wrap over the patella. You need to keep wrapping around it like pic related. TIGHT, and then go through your range of motion and do a bunch of squats, lunges, hopping around, etectera, for two minutes.

I’ve had multiple shoulder injuries from lifting, racquet sports, etc. and have spent >12 months in physical therapy.

Shoulder anatomy and PT is basically second natured to me so I am happy to answer any questions or recommend a PT protocol.

Note: I am not a trained medical professional, just about 6y lifting experience and ~15y sports experience

recently i've had some trouble with my left shoulder, instead of taking a break i powered through, going heavy on incline dumbells, ohp, weighted pull ups and bench. during training it was ok, the problem was at home when the pain would catch up to me. even before that i used to have a bit of discomfort that went away if i did push ups and if i stretched my pecs, but now i've incorporated face pulls and band pull aparts and mobility shit ( behind the neck, in front of it, moving the arms in a circular motion under tension )in my warm up routine. my pain kinda went away but what really fixed it is that i changed my sleeping position. it turns out i was sleeping on my left side in a manner that was quite hard on my shoulder.

anyway here's my two cents on shoulder shit, do rear delt and mobility exercises, pushies and make sure you sleep right

What's your opinion on active hanging for people with weakened shoulders (due to injury) to stabilise it?

Mobility exercises are what fixed it for me, especially the resistance band dislocates, the flossing, and then active hanging, NOT in this order.

how do i escape back pain, i havent squated and deadlifted in a while, i havent really strained it, i'm pretty sure it's because of sitting down but even if i'm active for a couple of days and then come back home to sit on my fucking chair the discomfort comes back pretty quickly.

i am rolling my spine on on of those big ass hard foam roller, in the moment it feels good but now i'm questing whether or not it's doing me good or bad

I did this: darebee.com/workouts/monster-legs-workout.html#sets
For a leg day workout a couple of days ago and my thighs have been in aching pain since. I can't move my legs at all without them being in pain. What do I did/what did I do wrong? I'm fit but haven't done an actual leg workout before

I did some latteral raises for the first time ever, now internal rotation causes me pain, how do i fix this?

can stretching your hamstrings really fuck up your posture?

i've always wanted to be more flexible

Cannot stress the importance of this enough. Regular chest stretching is key to healthy shoulders

>and then come back home to sit on my fucking chair the discomfort comes back pretty quickly.
Literally me. It will never feel good to sit down, it's an incomplete movement, halfway through squatting and standing.
I use the foam roller before going to sleep to open my back up, which is good after sitting for long periods of time. Your back is just tense, you have to loosen it up, but the most important tip I can give you, is to learn how to breathe. Inhaling with your diaphragm (and expanding it while inhaling) is exactly HOW your spine stays neutral without exerting itself while sitting down. Also, deep squatting position instead of sitting down whenever possible would be great.

Sleep right?

i said that it passed for me as well m8 like that. tho it's kinda weird. i'm sure it was because of my working the shoulder joint hard 5-6 times a week ( ppl fag here, who works back and chest on leg days as well ), and because of my sloppy form on max out sets, but what really put my pain to rest was taking 2 days off, no more than that and i feel fucking new and fresh

>I can't move my legs at all without them being in pain. What do I did/what did I do wrong?
Sounds like you did everything right and are just extremely sore.

>can stretching your hamstrings really fuck up your posture?
Yes. Weak (overstretched) hamstrings result in anterior pelvic tilt, aka lordosis. It's fine if you have a strong core and your hamstrings are decently strong.

Voodoo flossing on day 1, resistance band dislocates on day 2. JUST WERKS.

Dude how could stretching fuck up your posture?

hanging people would kill them user, not fix their shoulders

What do I do to speedup the process of me not being sore anymore? I hate that it hurts when I go to sit and I'd like to be able to have the pain gone so I can work legs again

>Dude how could stretching fuck up your posture?
Stretching muscles that are already weak WILL fuck you up. People with lordosis should not stretch their hamstrings. They should stretch their hip flexors, their quads, their lower back, and they should strengthen their core and their hamstrings.

>hanging people would kill them user, not fix their shoulders
youtube.com/watch?v=HoE-C85ZlCE
pls

>What do I do to speedup the process of me not being sore anymore?
It's pretty hardcore, but you should foam roll your leg muscles and then take an ice bath.

Scapular retraction is key and while I haven’t done active hanging in some time I do know the benefits but would suggest looking into scapular pull ups.

Those are essential, at the minimum, to getting into any proper hanging form. Hanging with loose scaps will fuck your shit up.

snap city basically.

lol end up with bird leg

>but would suggest looking into scapular pull ups.
I just youtubed it and it looks EXACTLY like an active hang Holy shit so many girls have that, it looks disgusting. My knees HURT whenever I look at people overextending theirs.

>doesn't get the joke.
I'm massively disappointed

I guess I should go do some active hanging and die a painful death then.

yeah, as in not in a way that may cause soreness or pain in any joint. on the back is probably the best but most people have trouble falling asleep like this

Do you sleep on your side with your shoulder tucked under your chest?

sometimes, but mostly it's just flared out and i keep it under my pillow. now i'm making a conscious effort to sleep on my right side in a hybrid of side and back sleeping, at least for the time being

What if your tight hamstrings cause squatting issues though?

Or is it not my right hamstrings causing my buttwink, but something else?

>What if your tight hamstrings cause squatting issues though?
I said it's fine if they're strong and you don't suffer from lordosis.

>Or is it not my right hamstrings causing my buttwink
Buttwink is natural and shouldn't be avoided.

meant for

Like pic related?

But I do have lordosis. And really tight hamstrings that make it difficult to get below parallel in a squat.

I know it's a slightly shitty test of hamstring flexibility, but I can't rich my toes without bending at the knees

Should I accept a bit of buttwink until I get my lifts up (I'm super weak) then see where I stand from a flexibility point of view?

Also, wat do about hip tightness, specifically external rotation (pushing my knees out)? I think that's actually a bigger problem than my hamstrings right now.

I started squatting ATG like 2 weeks ago, just some 15 to 20 reps BW, not even with weights, but my knees already feel weird. Not really hurting yet, but it feels like it could lead up to it.
Is it safe/better if I don't go ATG? I don't want to fuck up my knees here

>But I do have lordosis. And really tight hamstrings
Well, that just means you have a weak core and should probably foam roll your quads and stretch your lower back from time to time.

>Should I accept a bit of buttwink until I get my lifts up
Buttwink is natural if you go ass to grass, don't worry about it. Being weak is also good because it allows you to correct your muscle imbalances. Just focus on compound exercises.
Do you know what would fix your weak core issues (that result in lordosis)? Gymnastics rings! The top position ring hold is brutal at first for instance. It really is a full body workout.

>Also, wat do about hip tightness
Massage your hip flexors. Initially, use a tennis ball and roll on them, on your side. Youtube how to do it. Then sit down and massage them with your hands.
Warming up beforehand is good. This video is great: youtube.com/watch?v=xPwG2hqnOx0 will also help massively with your lordosis.

>Is it safe/better if I don't go ATG?
No. Parallel is between standing and squatting, which is an incomplete movement and actually puts more stress on your knees. Just learn to drive with your hips and stabilise your knees.

>Pic related. Got mine for cheap on eBay (and it's fucking 1.5mm): ebay.com/itm/253395602550
Apparently the link changed: ebay.com/itm/253395848536

Hi fit, I wonder if anyone has any advice regarding a long-standing finger injury I sustained while bouldering about 18 months ago. My finger broke and I tore a tendon in my middle finger, I wore a splint for ~2 months and took about six off climbing. Now it hurts like inside the joint (sorry, brainlet here) anytime I climb hard like I used to or do a lot of pulling exercises (eg deadlift). Doc said it may never go away, or it might on its own (eg has no fucking clue). It's not enough to keep me on the couch, but fuck if its not annoying. Currently I just ice it aggressively after every hard climb/lift and take advil, but it hasn't really improved in almost a year. Any advice?

Not much you can do when it comes to fingers. Where is the pain located (as in, what part of the finger)? A pic with a circle would be helpful.

Is this why I feel like I'm having a heart attack the day after bench?

Yes. That's why certain routines that do push/pull on different days are so popular. They stretch the opposite muscle group, so you get shorter recovery times.

Go on 100 days of antibiotics. I got on some for my wisdom teeth removal and my backpain and knee pain disappeared. Apparently its because most back pain is caused by bacteria growing inbetween your disks. Worked for me. I'd try it at least. Pretty harmless.

I fuck my shoulder up.
Now I have pain right in the middle of the lateral deltoid going down in a line.
I feel it with rowing motion and overhead motion but benching motion is painfree.
Doing rotator cuff exercise is just painful.
Anyone know what I should do? Should I take Ibuprofen?

Anyone ever dealt with a fibular stress fracture? Can’t seem to get healed up and it’s been 6 months.

And What’s the consensus on compression sleeves for shin splints here?

Could happen. Not eating crap that feeds the bacteria (eg sugar) is good. Hence the GAPS diet listed in the OP. It's basically keto PLUS potassium, probiotics and/or fermented foods (for the probiotics), which destroys candida and other harmful bacteria in your gut lining.

When did this happen? Anyway, voodoo flossing as per would probably fix it for a week. As for a plan you're going to need to tell us how you fucked it up and how debilitating the pain is.

>And What’s the consensus on compression sleeves for shin splints here?
Well, if you have shin splints, it means that your stabilisers are piss weak and that you should probably walk barefoot more often, and wear zero drop shoes (eg, my personal favourites, Feiyue's).
As for current treatment, I guess that would work, combined with an anti inflammatory of some sort, or submerging your leg in icy water.

Forgot to respond to the fibular stress fracture portion of your post. If you can't heal properly from a fracture chances are, you're vitamin D3 deficient and would benefit tremendously from this supplement. For instance, without it, calcium cannot bind itself to your bones.

I'm pretty sure I injured myself going too heavy on barbell row about a month ago.
I've let it heal a couple of day and got back to working out as soon as it felt better just to hurt it all over again like an idiot.
I didn't feel it during the workout but the next day my shoulder was killing me.
Right now just raising my arm is painful.

I was a overzealous curling three days ago, and I feel a slight pain a the inside of my elbow when I extend my right arm fully. How fucked am I?

I'm missing the ligament connecting my scapula to my clavicle. Snapped it almost 20 years ago, never got surgery. PT recommendations?

Thanks I’m too high in latitude to absorb vitamin d this time of year, would a supplement be effective?

Yeah, you NEED to do some voodoo flossing like I said. It's the only to correct injuries like these. Then you can use the resistance band to do shoulder dislocates and you'll be good as new.

>Thanks I’m too high in latitude to absorb vitamin d this time of year, would a supplement be effective?
Yes but it needs to be D3. D2 doesn't work. I recommend 8,000 IU a day. I got my girlfriend to do it as well and her doctor was shocked by how healthy her levels were during winter. Do NOT take megadoses (eg: 300,000 IU once a month), they are less effective and might even be harmful.
Rationale can be found here: vitamindcouncil.org/how-much-vitamin-d-is-needed-to-achieve-optimal-levels/

>I was a overzealous curling three days ago, and I feel a slight pain a the inside of my elbow when I extend my right arm fully. How fucked am I?
Not very fucked. You have lateral epicondylitis, coloquially known as tennis elbow. Voodoo flossing will fix it: youtube.com/watch?v=GZG_9O_mAgM
Check and >I didn't feel it during the workout but the next day my shoulder was killing me.
>Right now just raising my arm is painful.
Rest for a few days (3-5) and then do some voodoo flossing. I'm not memeing, it actually works. The reason why injuries persist is because after the initial trauma the brain develops strategies to avoid using the affected area, usually by making you use different muscles. Voodoo flossing will allow you to 'reprogram your shoulder', so to speak, and then you can do shoulder dislocates and be good as new the following day.

Shit, that's tough, no idea. Any symptoms?

I randomly feel a tingly feeling in my left elbow during/after Chest and Triceps day. It comes and goes a little randomly. I’m thinking it might be the start of elbow tendinitis but truthfully not sure. Anyone of you have a solution?

ty based PT user

butt wink is fine and is almost unavoidable when going ATG, what you want to watch out for is flexion at the lumbar spine, if you can't keep a straight back throughout the range of motion, odds are you lack mobitlity, mainly in your glutes and hamstrings
also, lordosis of the lumbar spine is completely natural, every spine needs to have that curve there, however if you think you have hyper lordosis (the curve is waay exagerated) then you should go to a doctor and get an x ray

... I responded to the same post twice. I should get some rest... SOON.

>Anyone of you have a solution?
>Not very fucked. You have lateral epicondylitis, coloquially known as tennis elbow. Voodoo flossing will fix it: youtube.com/watch?v=GZG_9O_mAgM
>Check (You) and (You)
There you go.

>also, lordosis of the lumbar spine is completely natural, every spine needs to have that curve there, however if you think you have hyper lordosis (the curve is waay exagerated) then you should go to a doctor and get an x ray
Not to be pedantic (now you know I'm going to be pedantic), but lordosis IS excessive curvature of the lumbar spine.

>Shit, that's tough, no idea. Any symptoms?
A deep, dull but significant ache when I perform certain motions (cable flys, push ups, dips). Occasional squishy crunch when I bear down on it too hard with my body weight (doing certain BJJ warm-up drills for instance).

I think you could try doing shoulder dislocates, scapular pull ups (active hanging) and scapular push up with a resistance band (all of them save for the pull ups). The rationale is that you need to strengthen the connections to the rhomboid that you do have.

it hurts inside the middle joint. it flares downwards when it gets really bad.

I fucked up my chest-shoulder tendon while doing guillotine bench presses .
I don't know why is this even caled that, its just shit form
The pain stopped fast, but my arm swells up if i do chest or arm stuff.
How long till i can bench again?

Thanks my dude, I will give these things a shot.

Basically this: youtube.com/watch?v=1YHIV4a81Os youtube.com/watch?v=y4Wo095zPnc

You have an inflammation of the tendon. Straighten your fingers in the morning to warm them up. Also, take some nimesulide or a strong OTC anti inflammatory compound. Massage your finger, ice it. It will get better eventually.

When?

>when?
Three weeks ago,
The pain stopped in 3-4 days after that i could move my arm like normal.
Swelling went down after that, i use to have it all the time, now it's only if i try to workout.
Its still a lot less drastic than it use to be.
But im in week three and im getting impatient.

Which part of your arm swells up exactly? Tris?

Mostly bicep and forearm.
It feels like a regular pump, but x2 as strong and fast

Try doing shoulder dislocates. Sometimes pain stems from the shoulder and radiates from there. My grandfather with the fucked up shoulder has knots all over his left rhomboid and as a result, his left arm swells up like a balloon whenever he does anything (and it hurts like a bitch).

Also worth noting, i dont have any visible lumps, my piss isnt too dark, and even when my arm would be compleatley swollen (2 weeks ago) it never looked "deformed"
Like i said it looks and feels like a pump, but waaay to strong and happens almost instantly as i try to workout.

Yh that actually spunds like pretty solid advice ill try it out.

PT user: Tore my MCL, grade 2, about a month ago. Since the tear, I am unable to extend that leg all the way - my knee physically will not go into lockout, despite a near lack of all pain in this position (it hurts 95% less than it did when attempting extension in week 1 post-injury VS now). What the hell do I do to get my knee to lock out again? I am already doing a bunch of isometric holds in the quads, leg lifts, and banded standing extensions.

If you don't have a long resistance band like you can use a barbell or even a broom, but the tension won't be progressive.

>What the hell do I do to get my knee to lock out again?
>and banded standing extensions.
So you have a resistance band (hopefully a big one). Follow this literally the first post ITT and this one Torn MCLs don't take too long to heal. 4 weeks sounds about right. The resistance band will increase blood flow to the synovial joint and help with the healing, and it will also fix your knee's range of motion.

Thanks bro I'll give it a shot, cheers

The first time a mobility general appears and you are spouting shit like buttwink is natural. If you are doing a high bar atg squat buttwink will not happen. The guy asking is weak so buttwink will happen but that does not mean he shouldnt work on correct form to fix the issue. Mark rippetoe has a good video on what buttwink is. Buttwink wont kill you but why not just work on lifting correctly?

There's literally nothing wrong with buttwink like said. In fact, it's the most natural way of squatting. Hope you realise I'm not saying it's okay at parallel, it isn't, but it's okay if you're going ATG, at the deepest portion of the exercise.

Still lost here. I could see buttwink happen in a highbar atg if you try to touch your ankles with your ass but who would do that. I could also see if you are not upright enough in the highbar position, or if you divebomb but those are still doing the lift wrong

>could see buttwink happen in a highbar atg if you try to touch your ankles with your ass but who would do that
This is what I meant. Some people have a different approach to weight lifting. They do natural movements but with weight added. I do agree with you that if you're squatting just a little bit below parallel as that pic seems to demonstrate, you should fix your butt wink.

I wouldn't say the high bar pic is just below parallel. The hamstring has made contact with the calf, any more lowering of the body you are purposely buttwinking at that point. Not trying to be hostile in this post at least but what skeletal/muscular benefit happens when you purposely let that spinal flexion happen

Do yoga

Do milk
sho bobs
bitch lasagna

Why arent you doing yoga, user?

I actually agree with you though, I just don't think it's that big of a deal.

I get headaches the day after I work out.

I guess they are tension head aches, I don’t really know. They are the worst after dead lifts, and my form is pretty decent, imo. But squatting, power cleans, and anything with my back will do it.

What do?

any good stretching routine?
i think i am not doing it properly. i have a bad posture and a slow recovery

>i have a bad posture
Well, you can be more helpful by actually describing it. Can be a myriad of things.

>I guess they are tension head aches
If they're not neck related (they probably aren't), it's because you're clenching your jaw too hard, in which case, tough luck. Massage your temples and rest.

If anyone has problems with knots in their back i'd highly suggest purchasing a backknobber. It gets into all the tight spaces and since i've been using one the mobility and overall quality of life has increased as i sit down a lot.

Check out this video if you want to see what it does.

I've used that and don't think it can even compare to a foam roller + tennis ball combo. Besides, the purpose of them is not to improve your mobility but rather the quality of your myofascial tissue.

I don't know why you're comparing them as i feel like they have different uses. The backknobber should be used for the deep knots you cant get out without going to get a deep body massage. The foam roller is a slight massage on your muscles and a tennis ball won't get in deep either since there's flexion on the ball. Have you got a lacrosse ball at all? those things are amazing as well.

>and a tennis ball won't get in deep either since there's flexion on the ball. Have you got a lacrosse ball at all? those things are amazing as well.
The flexion makes it so that it can actually partially mold to that tiny portion of your back. But yeah, if you need something harder, you go for a lacrosse ball or even a baseball. Usually just laying on a tennis ball without moving is enough to trigger the needed neural response to release the muscle.

i look like the stereotype of computer nerd
btw install gentoo

Thanks for all the info.
What do you guys think about ibuprofen?
Does it help speeding recovery or it's just counterproductive?

I noticed my right hip area is much tighter than the left, and the lower part of my spine seems to not be quite straight. What should I do?