Soda after workout

Hey Veeky Forums, how bad is a soda, say sprite, after a work out? I usually hit a gyro shop after the gym and get free fries and a drink as I am a uni student. Not often, but is it very bad or moderately ok? I know water is the best option, but it is a free drink.

there is a kid in my gym that walks around carrying a 12oz can of sprite, sipping on it casually between sets for +1 hour every day i'm there.. doesnt answer your question, just saying its a pretty savage move

Face is literally the only thing that matters

Is it ideal, no.

Will you "make no gains", no.

Just count the 146 calories, and move on.

Or take a can of diet something.

That is true for social settings, but health is also very important.

Good face is an indicator of health

drink water you fat fuck

If you're trying to cut then it just means there's extra calories for you to account for.

If you're bulking it's still fine. Your muscles are depleted of glycogen after lifting and will absorb those sugars like a sponge.

Can't argue with that.
I see. My dietician flatmate tells me of an important anabolic time window after heavy exercise. I assume your answer agrees with that?
Sorry, I'm not fat, trying to get fat.

There's a chemical (Phosphorus? I forget) in carbonated drinks that interferes with the absorption of some nutrients (again I forget which specific ones) in food. It's not a massive problem but if you're looking to optimise your nutrition you might wanna cut back on the soda.

stimulating an insulin spike post workout can actually help with recovery, as long as you aren't over doing it then go for it

reminder that carbs+protein together elicit a larger insulin response than carbs alone

I literally had diet orange soda with some half and half and 3 scoops of whey protein after the gym today. You'll survive.

dietitians aren't actually required to know anything about proper dieting

proof: fat nutritionists

Are you mixing in soda with your drink to optimize insulin spikes as says, or do you just enjoy the taste? Soda, whey, half and half doesn't sound too appealing...

I take his advice with a little grain of salt as he was a ranger that served in Iraq and Afghanistan (I've seen Mail for him from American veteran association), giving him some credibility to not bs me, but is he spouting broscience this time around?

Thanks for the input; I was not too worried about the sugar, but was wondering about the other chemicals that are in soft drinks. Any other negative compounds you know of in carbonated drinks (dissolved co2 for example) that affect health, such as muscle synthesis?

>creates a thread for this
Yes you're allowed to drink soda. Will it be good for you? No. Will you die? No. What was the point of asking this?

Because it is fitness related, more on the side of nutrition, and it's effects on the body.

user, this is a cursed image, pls delete

>Phosphorus? I forget
Phosphoric Acid, if anyone is wondering

I’ve lurked for a long time and still have little idea what constitutes a cursed image.

Supposedly she's dead in this photo?

I used club soda and Perrier to quit soft drinks. Squeeze of lemon if needed. FeelsGoodMan

Nutritionists aren't dietitians.

It sounds god awful, but try it in a blender. Do the soda first to de-gas that motherfucker so you don't end up with a fizzy mess. Add the half and half, then the whey. Use the pulse function. It's actually better than it sounds, but I don't do it for the taste.

this is true provided at least average frame + height

water tastes better. But if it's free go for it. t. poorfag