Are pull-ups the most underrated exercise of all time?

Are pull-ups the most underrated exercise of all time?

That would be the weighted dip

Nope. Plenty of people do the exercise, knowing all of its benefits. I'd say dead hangs. It's really good for grip strength and I see very few do them.

> chin ups

Chinups work the same amount of lats while stimulating more biceps, and they do a damn good job. Chinups > pullups imo, unless you're trying to isolate lats more.

>Chinups work the same amount of lats
no they don't

>Chinups work the same amount of lats while stimulating more biceps
That's not how it works. As soon as another muscle is involved (biceps) it trains the lats less, at least if your body weight is the same.

>dead hangs are good for grip strength.
maybe if you're an absolute twink. You need much heavier weights if you want to actually get strong.

>holding your own bodyweight is good for grip strength

how about you try just deadlifting double overhand you silly little mong. if you can't grip and hold at least 75% of your 1rm for 5 reps double overhand then your grip is shite. I switch to a double overhand with hook for my working set

>Faggot powerlifters/gymbitches leap into the fray
No one asked for your stupid fucking opinion.

You're on an image board made for sharing images and having discussions. fuck off. you're weak

i bet you think deadlifts gives you big lats

It's not about the weight, but about time under tension. If you can dead hang for 3+ minutes you will have great grip strength. Also, I never said it would exclude other exercises. Obviously, suicide grip deadlifts are great for grip strength, dead hangs are supposed to be incorporated into your workout along with deadlifts.

You're on an anonymous image board made for sharing images. Anyone can LARP and claim to be super duper strong.

You're a faggot and no one gives a fuck about your bullshit.

Go back to your PLG containment threads and stop shitting up the rest of the board.

>mfw i don't even train for strength

Go do your 8rm and tell me your lats aren’t dead afterwards

t. latlet

lold

Why are you on this forum? You clearly have a fixed mind on what is best and nothing will change that opinion. If you want a powerlifting circle jerk, I've heard reddit is a good place for that sort of thing.

The correct answer

you aren't factoring in the longer range of motion and the fact that you can generally do more chinups than you can pullups, so it tends to even out

a lot of people also feel a better contraction of the lats with chins as well

i like how you censored the nigger next to her

Damn, Messi got ripped.

*overrated

>t's not about the weight, but about time under tension. If you can dead hang for 3+ minutes you will have great grip strength>
kek'd
>If i bicep curl 1kg dumbell for infinite reps ill be as strong as a dude who curls 20kg for reps HaHa xD

I do neutral grip pullups (well negatives; I'm a heavy boi). Those are the only way I feel my lats working. I find it hard to activate my lats and biceps.

This but unironically.

>That's not how it works. As soon as another muscle is involved (biceps) it trains the lats less, at least if your body weight is the same
This is 100% false
You guys are very uninformed. Its universally known that chin ups are the superior form of vertical pulling for lat development.
You seem to believe the common myth that "wide grip = wind back", which is false. The function of the lats is to move the arm down and across at the side of the body. The lat, and particularly the lower lat have the highest amount of activation when your arm is closer to your body (look at dumbell pullovers or the pullovermachine. Grab a dumbell and row it to your waist keeping your arm close to your body, then row it with your arm out to the side. You'll feel the lats more in the first variation, and youll feel the upper back more in the other variation. Look at Dorian Yates, some of the best lats and back of his time and he is a huge advocate of close grips to hit the lats better)
chin up work lats much more effectively than the standard wide grip pullup. It targets the lats better, is a longer range of motion, and gives you a better stretch at the bottom. Plus they are MUCH healthier than pullups on your shoulders.

Chin ups work MORE lats

Snap city

soyboy central

Shill or memetard who's only started working out detected.

lmao no
i can tell you are in your first 6 months lifting

With such a retarded comparison I can only assume you're retarded and beyond help

Infinite reps is a lot

Pull-ups are actually pretty popular among gym goers. If a newbie can’t do them, then usually work hard just to do a few. The only people who don’t do them are women and guys here who are too heavy to do them

are you serious? what are pullups good for then?

Not much, only benefit is if you need to practice that movement for a real life need (pull yourself into a helicopter, etc)
As far as bodybuilding purposes goes, chins are the GOAT

Bullshit, pullups build bigger back and chinups is more bicep

When I do pullups or chinups it feels like I am straining something in the forearm that 's connected to my grip.

WTF am I doing wrong?

And it's only in my right forearm Too.

Maybe I'm putting too much weight on that arm.

I go to type this out every time but it's not worth it m8
Chinups aren't more bicep and less lat, they're more everything

if ur feeling pain you should stop immediately
try the assisted pull ups until you got enough muscles to do legit pull ups without any tension,

should always be a smooth and slow process. dont strain yourself

Not underrated, but unsung because of the high barrier of entry in terms of overall strength.

>but unsung because of the high barrier of entry in terms of overall strength.
Not when you're a skeleton

t. skeleton

>tfw I can easily do 10 pull ups but hitting 5 chin up is a struggle

What is a good total weight for a weighted chin up? Currently 250lb 5rm.

No they're rather blend, damaged my bi ceps doing pullups

yeah I'm pretty sure I could dead hang for like an hour so fuck off

>your 1rm for 5 reps

literally how
chinups are universally easier than pullups

deadlifts do hit the lats hard but the low rep ranges typically used are poor for hypertrophy.

brainlet.jpg

>can’t do his 1rm for 5 reps
Sup dyel

You are supposed to hang weights of yourself and focus on gripping the pullup bar as hard as possible. It will burn your forearms like nothing else

Having a 5 plate deadlift does not mean you'll be able to do this. You need endurance in your grip to do high rep pull ups, so deadhangs are a good exercise. But it does indeed not automatically equate to great grip strength, mostly great endurance for grip. You could do weighted dead hangs for that.

Then how come that when I started doing bar-based exercises I couldn't do more than 2 pullups but 6 chinups easy?
And how is it possible that after a good set of pullups I can feel my lats being tired and after a set of chinups my biceps are tired?

I’ve been going to the gym since last October after years of only cardio, so I don’t have a great amount of strength at the minute.

As part of my larger workout I do assisted chins and dips 5x10 with 18kg of assistance at 80kg. How long until I should be able to do 5x10 full body weight dips and chins? Hell even weighted eventually. I love them.

So pull ups are useless because chin ups works the same muscles better?

other way around

>assisted chin ups and dips

Alright, Veeky Forums, I've been doing an equal amount of both pull and chin-ups for the last few weeks. Should I switch to doing more pull-ups and fewer chin-ups?
I alternate between the two doing 3 sets of each at 10, 8 then 7.

Equal and now do wide grip pullups at the end as well

See
Chinups >>>>> Pullups for everything. Back and biceps

More chin ups, they give you the most bang for your buck.
literally the only reason to do pull ups is if you need to practice that movement for real life application, like pulling yourself up into a helicopter or climbing up a rock surface .

Bullshit. Pullups works back way more than chinups

This

My forearms are bigger than my biceps though

I see moot dumped all his Veeky Forums money into supps

lol, i didn't see that
i meant to say 75% of your 1rm for 5 reps

Don't do assisted pullups, you aren't working the proper stabilizer muscles. Do negatives to build your strength up for them.

Pull ups work upper back more. If you're trying to work your lats, chin ups are 100% better. Longer ROM, greater stretch, and far greater lat activation.
see

Bought a pull up bar around the end of november, could only do a single rep then. Got it up to 7 max by now, 83 kg bodyweight. Been doing 3 sets of 5 regularly.

Don't do assisted. Progress is fast.

Misinformation at its finest

This

how the fuck can the chin up use more lats if its using also the biceps

It can't

two anti-pullups threads in a day

uhmmmmm....

Someone is mad that he cant do pullups

Right listen you fucks, chin-ups and pull-ups both have around the same amount of back activation while chin ups have slightly more bicep activation therefore if you mainly want to focus on your back then do pull ups, if you want to get the most amount of muscle mass and strength overall then chin-ups

If Chins ups do everything a pull up does, as well as more activation of muscle groups as is claimed in this thread, then why the fuck does anybody do a pull up?

Why are people across gyms all over the world doing pulls ups, when chin ups do everything and more?

Nonsense.

dude, dead hang is like the first progression exercise.
after u can do that u do it with 1 hand, after that u grab thick towels
king discipline is hanging 1 handed from 1 thick towel, thats terrifying grip strength

>lanklets too heavy to pull themselves up right away
>manlets have a hard time reaching the bar

>You need endurance in your grip to do high rep pull ups, so deadhangs are a good exercise.
why would you do more than 15 pullups ever? just add more weight lol, when i reached 10 pullups i started doing 7 with 22lbs, when i got to 10, i went up to 35lbs and kept going, i'm at 8 pullups with 70lbs, aiming for at least 135lbs

>Fell for the SS meme.
I have a underdeveloped biceps.