/hmg/ - Health and Mobility General

In /hmg/ we exchange health advice concerning injuries regarding joints (synovial and not so), muscle tissue, fascia, and anecdotal treatment of said issues, as well as warm up routines, cutting edge research, and consumer goods that have assisted us in our quest to attain optimum health.

End goal would be to create a modern wiki like website (with sensible design guidelines) with the amalgamation of knowledge from these generals, and we should also create infographics and add info to the Veeky Forums wiki.

Things to discuss: knees, shoulders, back and cervical pain, stiffness, hypermobility, hypomobility, GAPS diet, voodoo flossing, foam rolling, EPI therapy, active/passive hanging, isometric/active/passive/dynamic/static/ballistic stretching, cryosauna, products and where you got them /csg/ style.

>NEWS
user shares experience with voodoo flossing and resistance band training user talks about foam rolling user gives out feet, shoes, and walking advice user talks about his experience with the backnobber user explains how to stabilise the deltoids user gives out miscellaneous advice user posts list of supplements to nourish your fascia >PRODUCTS (stick to sites that ship internationally)
Latex resistance band: ebay.com/itm/253395848536
Foam roller: ebay.com/itm/253396341171
Backnobber: pressurepositive.com/the-original-backnobber-ii.html
Genuine original Feiyue's: ebay.com/itm/NEW-Feiyue-501-Parkour-Training-Martial-Arts-Wushu-Kung-Fu-Shoes-white-black/122365671167

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lbozu0DPcYI
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28254581
kdbodywork.com/voodoo-floss/
youtube.com/watch?v=PH-3cHxXAK0
fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_Form
runnersconnect.net/footstrike-pattern-for-runners/
runningwritings.com/2012/03/brief-thoughts-critical-examination-of.html
runningwritings.com/2015/04/the-bone-stress-injury-model-new-way-to.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=W7vw_vc_8K0
m.youtube.com/watch?t=92s&v=pgL8GkzpNsw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vthkcq_1D1M
youtube.com/watch?v=JrjGBPMIn0A
youtube.com/watch?v=p8WgP14V2bo
youtube.com/watch?v=JzqDCQAav-0
youtube.com/watch?v=TP6J6IVeDsQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricinus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To the user that mentioned Piriformis syndrome in the thread yesterday, thank you, I finally feel like I'm getting to the bottom of my back pain

My mother with a bad shoulder (bursitis + small tears) who absolutely refuses to do anything I tell her to just got home from her EPI and told me I was right about most things, as per her prestigious physiotherapist who took multiple classes with Barcelona FC's PTs. :^] Feels pretty good.

Yeah, that was me, the op. I pretty much responded to every single post. Hopefully your sciatica will go away in a week, the key is to be persistent.

My toe joints keep threatening to dislocate after leg days, most frequently while laying in bed. Is this normal?

>My toe joints keep threatening to dislocate after leg days
How?

Thanks man I appreciate it. I've been assuming it was a herniated disc for the last week which had me in a dark place, hopefully I can get back into my usual routine with some PT.

I was looking into Piriformis syndrome a bit after that post, and seems like there are two versions, one where the muscle is too tight and the other where it's too elongated. Based on my symptoms I think I might have the elongated version, as I have more problems when I'm standing that I do sitting. Apparently the elongated version doesn't benefit from stretching and is more suited for strengthening and movement reeducation. Any thoughts on that?

>Any thoughts on that?
That's what causes it, but for the pain to subside (assuming you have the symptoms of sciatica) you need to get your body to stop pinching the sciatica nerve and you can only do that by stretching and putting pressure on it.

Have there ever been any studies done that support voodoo flossing? Just seems like more crossfit quackery.

>Just seems like more crossfit quackery
It just makes sense from a logical standpoint. The mechanisms are fairly straightforward. But it's okay, dismiss it just because it's used by crossfitters. Or, you could, you know, try it on yourself and go from there.

I thankfully don't have any injuries but I'm curious if this is the right place to ask for a good stretching routine. I just want a basic full body routine that actually works and not some yoga bullshit

I like this one a lot youtube.com/watch?v=lbozu0DPcYI

So that's a no.

It's a 'I don't know'. It works though.

kek that made me feel like a retarded monkey but it felt pretty good. thanks for the suggestion

How do I unjust my back lads

user, can you tell me what you told the user thanking you? I haven't been to work since last Wednesday because my back is fucked and I'm mostly positive it's piriformis syndrome because shit only hurt after sitting in my car. I squatted 335 no problem literally 10 mins prior, so I'm inclined to believe I don't have a herniated disc. I've also gone from squatting ~210-335 in 6 months or so. I imagine my muscles finally couldn't keep up since I never really took a deload and just ran through my linear progression until last week when I've basically been floor ridden because even sleeping on my bed hurts too much.

I'm thankful user, I won't try to take OP's thunder but pic related helped a lot after I did them this morning.

I started having problems after I doubled my squat volume, I started to notice I was knee caving and I think that might be where my issues stemmed from. I've also gotten good relief from a focused lower back and core routine while at the gym, as well as doing the towel stretch for glutes.

Yes, it's specially painful when sitting or lying down, not so much when you're up and about. The post was this one Foam rolling at an angle is effective (roller pointing at your opposite foot, more or less 45º). As is the combination of massages, hot baths, muscle relaxants and anti inflammatories (usually it's difficult to fix because it inflames and expands).

HAHA unleash your spirit animal user!

Oh yeah, the first three stretches are perfect for it. For the second one, you can sit down, back super straight, cross your legs (like a man) and proceed to lean forward, HOLD IT, breathe a couple of times and then do the same with the other leg. Thanks for the reminder!

Thank you very much

Unjust?

Guys, any resource on improving posture? I became a hunch back in my teens years, due to lack of self-conidence and shyness. Are there any exercises that can imrpove posture? Any muscle groups in my back that i need to target to see improvements?
I've been doing SS for 6 weeks now

Of course it isn't normal. See a podiatrist.

>I became a hunch back in my teens years
So your shoulders are rolled? Strengthen posterior deltoids and check the OP for the shoulder stabilisation and scapula mobilisation work you should be doing. Shoulder dislocates are specially good for it... Also stretch your pecs.

get two tennis balls and tape them together a la pic related

lay supine with the tennis balls straddling your spine around the base of your thoracic spine. lay all the way back, get your shoulders on the ground. take your shoulders through their ranges (i.e. do shoulder flexion, abduction and horizontal abduction). do a few reps each spinal level until you get just below C7.

this is, of course, after you've stretched your anterior shoulder girdle.

bonus points if you stretch your upper trap, sternocleidomastoid, levator scapula and suboccipital muscles bilaterally. if you work your shoulder/thoracic mobility a few times a week, it will get better, full stop. just don't be a bitch and quit when you don't see immediate results, else you'll end up like every other malingering patient.

HAHA WHOOPS HOW EMBARRASSING

but seriously, stretch your shit out, homo.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28254581 There you go. Retards need to be spoonfed.

>Floss bands applied to the ankle increase dorsiflexion and plantarflexion ROM and improve single-leg jump performance in recreational athletes. The results from this study suggest that floss bands may be used for injury prevention and athletic performance.

There aren't many studies done on people with injuries though, most just try to increase ROM, which is annoying, but also valid since like I said in the last thread, the brain opts to not use the damaged joint due to trauma. Flossing reprograms the neurological aspect of using your fucking muscles, preventing the joints from calcifying and forcing blood and other fluids into them.

a colleague of mine researched compression training for his physical therapy doctorate. apparently it yields improved hypertrophy compared to regular training. i don't know a lot about voodoo floss, but i assume it's a similar principle.

he himself trained with it after a stint in the hospital for some crazy gastrointestinal shit he had going on. gained a ton of weight in muscle mass using this type of technique.

for what it's worth.

thanks guys! I'll give these a try.

>a colleague of mine researched compression training for his physical therapy doctorate
Is this training wearing compression clothing?

not quite. he was using neoprene bands i believe. extremely tight. it's been years, and i never gave it much thought, so i don't recall if it was proximal or distal to whatever intended muscle group. i'm assuming proximal. but it wasn't wrapped around the joints or muscle groups the way voodoo floss seems to be.

come to think of it, it would seem like the proprioceptive benefit of compression with heavy loads coupled with the increased local bloodflow would make voodoo floss superior.

i'm mostly talking shit though, i don't know a ton about either to make an informed judgment, suffice it to say that compression is generally good in many aspects of training and rehab.

Any recommended reading for someone who wants to start voodoo flossing? I'm mostly interested in doing it with my knees because I fucked up both of them in highschool. Am I wrong to assume that it will help with most joint issues just by it forcing the fluids to the joint?

It's an interesting concept. Might try it myself with a bunch of latex resistance bands whilst ensuring that the tensile strength is not as high as if I were voodoo flossing.

>Any recommended reading for someone who wants to start voodoo flossing?
Just google and youtube it. A few physiotherapists have picked it up.

>Am I wrong to assume that it will help with most joint issues just by it forcing the fluids to the joint?
It will help with most joint issues, yes, but the results will be more instantaneous for synovial joints. I also assume someone with bursitis like my mother would benefit tremendously since it would reduce the inflammation of the bursa and allow it to disinflate, for the lack of a better term. I'm just going offtopic now.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, and I had to learn this the hard way (I'm exaggerating, it was just mildly uncomfortable). When flossing the knees, make sure you start from the calf up, not from the quad down. Don't cover the patella and REMEMBER, the goal is to fix the patella in place so that it doesn't move (joint centration), in order to cause hyperemia.

Just foam rolled my hip flexors and did Feels good.

>Any recommended reading for someone who wants to start voodoo flossing?
Apart from the actual study found above, the only one written by someone who seems reasonably capable is this one kdbodywork.com/voodoo-floss/ for the actual techniques just go on youtube and watch a bunch of videos.

>Start training for the muhreens
>ramping up my weekly mileage
>always ran heel to toe
>was given advice to start running forefoot
>shortly after developed mtss
>after taking multiple rest periods and doing RICE it still persists every time I get back to training
Anyone dealt with this before? What are the odds going back to my old strike pattern will resolve the issue? I really don't want to have to sit out anymore pt

Anyone have a good routine or recommend techniques to help strengthen the glute med or around that area?

I lift 4-5 days a week and play a fairly intense start/stop sport the other days so my hips gets pretty hammered

... that's because you probably wore the exact same shoes so you had to go out of your way to run THE RIGHT WAY (forefoot strike), combined with being vitamin D3 deficient (and/or calcium), and having no stabilisers.

literally all of those are wrong though

good girl/bad girl machine, not memeing

>literally all of those are wrong though
You're the brainlet here. Heel striking literally brakes upon contact, which reverberates throughout your entire body and slowly fucks your knees up.
Pic related, video related: youtube.com/watch?v=PH-3cHxXAK0

KYS.

My gym doesn't have them.

how to fix forward head posture?

>how to fix forward head posture?
Strengthen your upper back. Rhomboids, traps, shoulders (specially the posterior delt) and even your neck (pulling exercises with your neck, Mike Tyson style). You also have to consciously correct it whenever possible.

>Anyone have a good routine or recommend techniques to help strengthen the glute med or around that area?
I can recommend weighed glute bridges. Plus, you get pretty good at smashing girls.

>Anyone have a good routine or recommend techniques to help strengthen the glute med or around that area?
I can recommend weighed glute bridges. Plus, you get pretty good at smashing girls.

>What are the odds going back to my old strike pattern will resolve the issue?
it's probably worth a try. helped me. if it hurts, don't do it.

here are some links that have informed my opinion and may be useful or interesting:
fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_Form
runnersconnect.net/footstrike-pattern-for-runners/
runningwritings.com/2012/03/brief-thoughts-critical-examination-of.html

you may very well have incurred a small stress reaction/fracture. this may be useful: runningwritings.com/2015/04/the-bone-stress-injury-model-new-way-to.html

I'd also consider trying some different shoes (try a whole bunch, annoy the salespeople, abuse the free returns, don't be afraid to pay retail when you find a pair you like, and then wait for sales and stock up). again, I don't think there's one rule that works for everybody--just gotta try 'em out and see what you like.

His shoes probably have a raised heel and then he forced himself to land on his forefoot. Can you imagine how awkward that would look? It's impossible to even get full ROM doing that.

oh, and also consider experimenting with running surfaces, e.g. grass, dirt, etc.

I had a similar issue when I was in the navy. It's kind of hard to have proper form when running in formation, almost everyone heel strikes and can't run for shit. When you actually try to run properly it will hurt for a while but there are ways to minimize it. Get flat shoes and run barefoot when possible. Try to run on grass, sand, or other softer surfaces to minimize the impact. You can also prance around on the balls of your feet all the time like some faggot ballerina, up to you

what do you guys recommend for someone who has a hard time getting into the set up position for the deadlift? if my back rounds before the set up, does it mean I have tight hamstrings?

Just a reminder stretching and foam rolling Is a waste of time.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=W7vw_vc_8K0

m.youtube.com/watch?t=92s&v=pgL8GkzpNsw

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vthkcq_1D1M

Eccentric rdls, and keep a slight extension of the spine

Wrong. But people generally foam roll for the wrong reasons. As for the stretching statement, that's pretty ignorant considering there are so many types of stretches. But yeah I'll discard decades of research and personal experience in favour of some literal who's on YouTube.

there's not really any good research on foam rolling in particular, but damn near every PT clinic uses them and the idea of soft tissue massage after injury is pretty generally accepted

I can't get anywhere close to a rack position, what do

Tldr

It feels good so I’ll keep doing it.

Use a rack position stretch.

What are some godsend stretches for hips, mine are super tight especially right side

Try lunges with a twist

Been doing front squats this entire time with the arms crossed over each other method. I tried the conventional grip with the wrists bent back the other day and it was fucking hard/awkward to stay in that position. Any advice?

Why is it hard, do your wrists hurt?

How can you lock the patella in place without covering it with the band? That sounds a little counter intuitive.

I really want to try the voodoo because i just had to skip leg day for the first time. I started feeling some aches around the knee cap after my last heavy squat session and it really scares me because i was treated for patella tendonitis in high school and i dont want to fuck my shit up. Also dont want to skip legs..

Literally the pic in the OP.

Oh I get what you mean. Anyway, look at the OP. The tension from the resistance band will lock and centre the patella in place. Occlusion will result in hyperemia around the joint, and going through your range of motion will contract and stretch out every single muscle fibre that's wrapped in it, which might in turn fix any muscular inbalances you might have, temporarily, and restore joint mechanics as you will have performed the movements with correct form.

Thanks for the insight. When i had the tendonitis, i was given a band thing wrapped the patella directly. It essentially functioned like a thin rope right around the tendon (pic related). Could/should these be used in conjunction with the voodoo floss?

I had been wearing those to squat but now think i might have been hurting rather than helping..

No, looks counterproductive to have two things attempting to stabilise the patella.

Anyone dealt with hip flexor pain while squatting? Insides of my thigh are killing me when I squat but I don't get pain at all while trap bar deadlifting.

Seems like they're just tight. Try warning them up beforehand or don't sit for so long throughout the day

Wall hip strecg

>Insides of my thigh
that sounds like adductors, not hip flexors.

youtube.com/watch?v=JrjGBPMIn0A

I thought those two queries were separate, but it seems like you're right.

Anyone know any good adductor stretches? I'm having problems in that area myself.

>Anyone know any good adductor stretches? I'm having problems in that area myself.
Yes! Check this out

Have been having numbness/tingling on pinky/ring finger side of hands. Both hands affected but mainly left. Physio said its some problem in the nerves in the neck and gave me some mckenzie neck exercise to do.

It has helped some but doesnt seem to quite make it go away. Anyone ever had anything like this? Haven't been able to go to the gym for 6 months because of this and im starting to lose hope.

Seems like a wrist/forearm issue to me. Massage your forearm. Look it up on youtube, and then have someone massage your hand like so

youtube.com/watch?v=p8WgP14V2bo
youtube.com/watch?v=JzqDCQAav-0

youtube.com/watch?v=TP6J6IVeDsQ
Also pretty good.

>2 tbsp great lakes gelatin made a difference literally overnight

on the one hand: nice

on the other hand: fugg does this mean I got the 'thritis plz no

6'2, 170lb here. Skinnyfat lanklet with long legs and arms.

Just reached 220 lb squat, 5x5. Raising by 5.5lbs each time. Last three workouts I'm getting pain in my lower quadriceps, just above the knee? Worse each session. Hurts the most during ascent, especially at the bottom and the very top/end when straightening the legs out. Feels like the muscles are about to snap off or something, it's not "fatigue pain".
Don't have the problem at all when deadlifting (my knees sometimes want to cave in though, I have that in squat as well). I think I am very quadriceps dominant when squatting, find it hard to engange hamstrings and glutes.

Is this a form problem? Any of you are familiar with this?
Do you have any good vids for squat form for lanky people with long femurs like me?

>(my knees sometimes want to cave in though, I have that in squat as well)
This means your ankle and hip flexibility is severely lacking, which also means, yes, that your hamstrings MIGHT be weak (compared to your quads). Do NOT squat heavy until you address these issues or your tendons WILL snap.
As for the knee pain, voodoo flossing, as per the OP and multiple posts ITT, is the ideal fix. You can do it pre and post squat for the best results, or simply after lifting or whenever the pain sets in. Follow the indications provided and leave the patella exposed, wrapping only around it, but tightly.

Whenever I do hyperextensions drop sets (start at 90+ KG for 5 reps, drops 20KG do another 5 reps, repeat the drop until I'm doing it without weight) my lower back becomes very tight, I also experience pain in my left quads right above the knee and in my lower back.

I do a couple sets of warm-ups with low weight and two work sets of 5 reps with 90+ KG before doing the third final set (which is the drop set I mentioned above).

What's the issue here and how can I solve it? It was never this bad, sometimes I even have trouble walking/bending over after.

Not related to this, but I also had troubles with my shoulders in the last few months and incorporating band work before chest/shoulder workouts helped the pain immensely. I still have issues with some exercises (any press with dumbbells usually ends up with some pain).

I'll give the flossing thing a shot, thanks for the help. Going to order that right away.

Trying to look up some ways to fix the flexibility issues. I suppose I'll have to drop the weight a bit until I can fix that.

See a Doctor bro, Veeky Forums may not be an accurate diagnosis

>See a Doctor bro, Veeky Forums may not be an accurate diagnosis
What he's saying is pretty common in most people: shoulder and patella instability. I included resources for both of those in the OP.

Seems like a great product, but what were your symptoms prior to taking it?

mystery forefoot pain user from a couple days ago.

so, mystery forefoot pain.

(I actually went through one of the green canisters last year when I thought I might have picked up a small hip labrum tear, but I didn't notice anything at all then; my guess is that it was in fact a weird little groin muscle, though I don't know.).

Best general in months, god bless you OP

I'm glad we have a thread for this stuff, but I tend to disagree with OP's concrete suggestions in the areas where I have relevant first-hand experience; I hope we get some other people chiming in.

(for example, my experience with "voodoo flossing" was that it felt pretty good the first time and did absolutely nothing after that. the elbow tendinitis that was bothering me went away when I started doing tons and tons of chinups.).

Thanks! I try to remake it every other day basically, to not saturate the board with the same thread over and over again. As someone with hyperflexible joints, I've always struggled with injury due to my active lifestyle, so I figured I would put my knowledge to good use since I've essentially become impervious to it.
The reason why I shill for voodoo flossing so much is because after I fucked my knees up at the beach (twisted them BAD) I couldn't ride bikes and could barely run for a long time but the following FIXED them for me (in this order):
1. Cotton gauze soaked in HOT ricin oil wrapped around my knee, wrapped in cling film overnight,
2. Voodoo flossing
Now whenever I feel any sort of patellar instability, I floss the knee and it's perfect.

>(for example, my experience with "voodoo flossing" was that it felt pretty good the first time and did absolutely nothing after that. the elbow tendinitis that was bothering me went away when I started doing tons and tons of chinups.).
It's worth noting that you need to be diagnosed properly before attempting any sort of treatment. For instance, someone with sciatica might suffer from a myriad of different maladies, all of which require different types of treatment. Voodoo flossing literally started as a way to fix tennis elbow and there are dozens of testimonials of people who have fixed their issues by flossing. Now, there are many variables that go into flossing (for instance, some retard flossed his knee the wrong way and literally displaced the fluid...), so unless you're willing to make a video of your technique, after describing the problem, I won't be able to comment on it.

Anyway, it's okay to disagree with me. I learn a lot from these types of threads as well and the point is that everyone shares what worked for them. If that is backed by logically consistent rationale, then more power to you!

I could quibble, but damn good post, fair points all.

>ricin oil
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricin ricin? or capsaicin?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricinus
Don't worry, they wouldn't sell you the poison :^]
On that note, my girlfriend didn't fix the cracking per se, but her ankle (that she rolled a few MONTHS ago) has been bothering her for a while and after wrapping it as per the above method, it didn't pop for a whole day and it hasn't bothered her in a while, whereas before it used to bother her after long walks. Apparently it's very good at nourishing/lubricating synovial joints, as well as acting as a potent anti inflammatory. So yeah, it could be added to one's routine.

(cont.)
It's also VERY important to keep the tension EVEN throughout the band or else joint centration will obviously not work since it will literally be forced to shift in order to reach equilibrium. That's why you're advised to, after going around once, make it as tight as possible (150% stretch) and not go around the same EXACT spot twice and the only once the next time.
I'll include this bit of information in the next hmg I make.

Rolling your pyriformis on a tennis ball is nothing short of evil.

everything about this post is repulsive to me. any asshole looking for youtube money passing some dumb agenda or retarded modality doesn't get my time. i'll take the decades of research backing my physiotherapy degree over some fucking hack making lolrandumb youtube vids.

stretch your fucking hamstrings, you lazy cunt.

couch stretches with a resistance band to stretch the anterior capsule

Tldr: it feels good and I like sucking my dick

acquire proficiencey, desu

stretch your wrists and triceps before front squats. you'll get used to it eventually. also, don't feel like you have to grip the bar. just your fingertips is enough to help balance the bar on your delts.

i can suck my own dick with my superior mobility because i stretched my goddamn hammies, what say you now

It’s a waste of time, unless your sport requires extra mobility.

i promise you, it isn't. please come see me a decade from now when your shit's all snapped up because you thought you were too good for stretching.

>mark fucking rippetoe

he is an okay powerlifting coach, but he does not have the clinical experience to tell people to drop stretching

>extra mobility

life requires mobility, homie. i assure you, if i took objective measurements regarding your gross mobility, you would fall outside of functional limits. this is a symptom of the modern age, and you are not immune to it.

stretch your hammies, bitch.