I have the flu. Do you think fasting will lead to a quicker recovery?

I have the flu. Do you think fasting will lead to a quicker recovery?

starve a cold, feed a fever
and doctors are questioning whether you should even starve a cold

Yes, and clove of garlic and megadosing vitamin C.

Ofc not, dumbass

You shouldnt "starve" any illness. Depriving your body of nutrients when it is trying to fight an illness is absolutely idiotic.

Explain
I'm curious.

I thought it was other way around?

I mean my logic was if the body is trying to fight off illness and they say fasting is a great way to rid the body of toxins, why would you not fast? I mean if the body is fighting off illness and digesting food it's wasting energy digesting the food that could be spent fighting off illness. I'm not a doctor btw

Bump for more answers

Worth a try, it can't kill you.

You absolutely can die from the flu

Except it could tho...

just go vegan bro all the plants will suck the illness when you take a shit

there are no studies verifying this.

but the idea is starving a cold allowed your body to divert energy toward the immune system, because digestion takes up so much effort and energy.

your body has plenty of energy reserves to deal with a cold, even without food, unless you have some sort of disorder or are from a famine stricken region of the earth.

No. You need fluids, but you also need fuel. When you're sick, your body needs the energy to fight it off.

>your body needs the energy to fight it off

I'm curious about this too, I had the flu last week and just got over it. I ate meme chicken noodle soup everyday. Now that you say it it intuitively makes more sense to fast or do liquid diet while down with the flu? If you eat while you have a fever wouldn't it just be "throwing wood on the fire?"

Nope. Just get plenty of rest, fluids and make sure to keep up on sleep and vitamin C.

Generally it's a terrible idea to not eat while sick, but there is some *anecdotal* evidence that fasting will help. Also if you have a sore throat 1 part apple cider vinegar 4 parts water and honey to taste does wonders, but it does burn like a bitch. Tea with honey doesn't work as well but is a bit less masochistic.

>it's a terrible idea to not eat while sick,
Can you cite sources that back this claim?
I'm not being confrontational, I'm genuinely curious.

Yes you should, don't listen to these literal fucking retards that don't know shit about getting healthy. Fasting will help you cure ANY sickness faster.

Consider this fuckfaces, if you NEED to eat when you're sick to help you recover then why is the first thing you lose when you get sick your appetite? Don't you think your body would make you feel hungry if you needed food?

PS: every single fucking culture in the history of human civilization has practiced fasting in this way

I ate cloves of garlic, drank elderberry syrup, ate alot of kale, broccoli, and carrots,raw honey. Drank a shit ton of pomegranite juice and mega dosed on vitamins and my flu lasted a few days less than my wife's.

this booty better be photoshoped.

Explain what user?

Your body is burning a lot of energy fighting off an infection and you are going to not provide it with any energy to use?

That's all well and good, but do we have anything concrete to back that up?

I hope to fuck nobody is wasting time studying something so obvious.

I'm sure you can find something about giving cancer patients weed to improve their appetite and their increased odds of survival if you go look.

If you have enough body fat, go ahead and try. Drink snekjuice, tho. If you're already at a low body fat %, maybe eat in a 2 hour eating window and fast the rest of the time.
t. Doctor (Mario player)

When animals get sick they hide themselves away and only drink water for the period of their sickness. All they do is sleep and eat. Take that as you will.

>I hope to fuck nobody is wasting time studying something so obvious.

user, people have studied farts and found that smelling some fart is actually good for your immune system.

This is something that deserves study.
However, it never will.
Why?
Because telling people to fast during a sickness does not put money into anyone's pockets.
Stuff that will fuck up the status quo or cost certain companies millions/billions are not talked about and there are many that will create research to show that it's wrong or harmful.

>This is something that deserves study.

No it doesn't.

It's very well understood that starvation weakens the immune system.

Your argument is essentially "lets give sick people hourly moonshine enemas because who knows it could possibly help them fight off a cold we never checked before"

The not profitable nonsense is quite hilarious when you are quoting a study checking the utility of farts on immune function a line earlier. Who got paid for that one?

Your body is repairing itself in a fasted state. When you eat a meal your body's resources go towards digesting a meal. Depriving cells of glucose slows viral replication cycles because they depend on cells for their proliferation. If you ever wonder why you lose your appetite when sick it's because fasting boosts the immune system.

This is basic biology. Your body works on calories, vitamins, salt, other minerals etc.

Your immune system is part of your body and needs these to work. How is that not understandable?

Go back to /b/, asshole.

This doesn't deserve a study because people who understand biology don't need to study this because they already know that your body needs energy to provide for non-vital systems. People who understand biology don't know however is whether or not smelling farts helps your immune system so it should be studied.
>Because telling people to fast during a sickness does not put money into anyone's pockets.

"Coca-cola study funded by Coca-cola finds Coca-cola not bad for you" is something I think you're on the right path about but you're just using it to blanket anything you disagree with.

>thinking your body knows best for you

If you have over 12% body fat, your body will use that for calories and stored vitamins; no need to bring retarded NEW calories into the equation. Sipping snekjuice for salt and potassium would be a good idea as well.

thats the exact opposite of what you should do

bullshit. digestion is a very taxing process and you have every nutrient stored away in your tissues. animals ALWAYS fast when sick and injured. take a note.

>thinks fasting is starvation

Depends.

If you have no appetite, that's your body telling you to fuck off. Drink fluids and just chill. If you're hungry, eat. It's not rocket science. Listen to your body.

A big dose of zinc should make you recover faster, iirc

For me hot tea with real honey always works like a magic.

I KNOW THESE GIRLS

you cant actually be this retarded

Yea, because we are all so ripped with .5% body fat that we "need" energy and will die if we don't eat every day.

I mean it's not like the body stores energy for times of need or sickness that would be a so good

you are an idiot user.
As Long as you are not 6% bf you have alot of enegy to burn and dont Need in any case provide your Body with extra Food. Eating when ill will only slower the healing process.
Think Logical and not like your grandma.

'
i mean its not unreasonable to assume on Veeky Forums that posters are close to contest condition or show prepping

that guy is right dude, your body will fight the illness much better with a lot of free easy to get calories from food than it will with whatever it can scrape together from your fat stores

best option is to feed your body, heal, so you can return to training sooner

exactly

all idiots.
>muh digestion takes so much effort
if that were the case, then why eat at all? because the effort to digest the food is so much higher than the benefit OF the food, right?
wrong. the net benefit of the calories is worth it. an energy deficit is a RECOVERY deficit.

eat what you can with an unsettled stomach. if that means liquid diet, so be it.
but if you're shitting and puking out water, make sure to rehydrate. google oral rehydration solution it's basically salty sugarwater at low concentrations.

who is that

>ftw had salmonella for a week and had to eat only banana/apple/rice/toast/tea

I was dreaming about chicken lads, and I lost 7kg trough this ordeal, help me.

Taking medical advice from Veeky Forums is natural selection at work.

I don't know much, but there is a reason animals don't eat when they are sick. That's all I am saying.

Seriously guys, this is probably the most retarded thread I've seen in a while.
Eat normal portions if you can while sick. I'm seriously wondering if this entire thread might be bait.

T. Licensed doctor

I have the flu too user and I saw a doctor today. He said drink as much fluids as you can i.e. water, apple juice, orange juice etc.. and also try to eat as much as you can.

idiot
this is about DISTRIBUTION of energy INSIDE the body.
not an in/out matter
get schooled norm

Your body isn't always smart. Millions of people from dehydration around the world because they had loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc, and were unable to maintain hydration. Your biology isn't some infallible mastermind.