How do I get the ultimate practical strength and physical body of Alex Honnald...

How do I get the ultimate practical strength and physical body of Alex Honnald? He does no gym workouts and maintains a perfect balance of low weight and power.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cgxr6xAB5ZM
youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Inb4 DYEL's that don't understand the want for anything other than huge lifts.

More reference

>send 5,000ft of vertical granite in Yosemite over 24 hours simul climbing with Tommy Caldwell (repeat as needed)
>get a hangboard (pic related) and work on your finger and grip strength
>spend countless hours at the rock climbing gym perfecting technique
>??????
>profit

Should take you 15-20 years of training and lots of big bruises if not broken bones.

So I already spend all my time at the climbing gym, Part of the reason I'm talking about achieving his body is so that I can improve the strength aspects of climbing. There is no point me going to any of these big wall climbs when physically I can't hack it. What can I use to cross train calisthenics wise to up my climb game?

Practice climbing you dumb fuck
Bats the only way to get better at climbing

"the perfect balance of low weight and power" is situational. Usually when people carry things, they aren't swinging from monkey bars with the load strapped to their feet.
I read people discussing how functional strength is proportional to body-weight, but I've never been able to think of more than a couple very specific situations that suggest that.
Cardio is important for general health and is useful for any situation where you're late and need to cover a fairly long distance or climb 5 flights of stairs without looking like you've run a marathon afterwards. Strength is an even more common need, carrying heavy bags, moving furniture, avoiding snap-city with a strong core, pushing a car out of the mud/snow (where being heavier is more useful).
Help me understand why being feather-light at the cost of strength benefits a non-overweight adult.

Good job being unable to read...
"What can I use to cross train calisthenics wise to up my climb game?"

I get you, Specifically in this case I'm talking about free movement of my physical form. So that means working up to handstand walking, Effortless pull ups from weird angles with one hand, Perfect symmetrical joint strength. I'm pretty basic and know I have a long journey ahead of me, I know that I need to climb a bunch, I'm asking for strength training that will help with these. I really don't want to get big gains, but strong as fuck proportionally while lowering my BF%.

Climb harder, and I don't mean difficulty of the route. You will need to approach climbing with an intensity that goes beyond just climbing for fun. Don't focus so much on Honnold, he is blessed with genetics that have given him a frame that is very suited for climbing. Wide shoulders and narrow waist. Long and slim legs. Burly hands and feet. He is similar to the Michael Phelps of rock climbing. That isn't to say you have to look like Alex to be a good climber. Look at some of the elite women like Sasha DiGulian or Alex Puccio (both are like 5'2") for example and you will see that there are many frames that can be successful.

Seriously get on the hangboard at your gym or install one in your home. Look up workouts and progressions. Include bouldering into your routine if you haven't. I've read that V4/V5 is usually a natural limit for most climbers that don't train for climbing off the wall. Beyond that and increasing your finger and grip strength is paramount.

Core work is ESSENTIAL. Basic planks simply aren't going to cut it. Look up plank progressions and other bodyweight core exercises.

And of course, work on your mobility and ROM in your shoulders and hips. Impingement in those areas will prevent you from climbing with your full potential. I like Joe DeFranco's mobility videos. youtube.com/watch?v=cgxr6xAB5ZM
youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc

Solid advice.

An extra thing to keep in mind is that every gym typically has at least a few routes just outside of one's ability. Don't bother with shit you can climb, constantly go harder. Unless you plateau. Always reminded me of linear progression in lifting.

Thank you, I have very strong mobility but even some of these have highlighted a lack of symmetry I didn't know I had.
I'm constantly pushing it and trying to climb at least a full grade and a half (font) than i can comfortably climb easily. I get pretty far a lot of the time, except for the last move which is almost always some variation of shifting my entire weight with tiny footholds to some blind grip at a big height.

Climbing hard is great advice and on some of these I want to go for it so much, But something in me just tells me I won't catch or I'll slip, and I am usually right if I lunge with that feeling.

So far I'm climbing three days a week to enable rest days, would it be a bad idea to climb every day?

She's eyeing that next grip as if it were a 10 inch cock.

Literally complete mindfulness

>how do git stonk like sum1 who climbs for hours every day for 20 yeers

How do you get started climbing? There's a gym near me but I don't have anyone to go with. Is it something you can do alone?

I dont climb but when I skated if I had the mindset that I was gonna bail I would. You don't know your gonna fail, your gonna fail because you know if that makes any sense. You have to believe in yourself to the utmost to do the incredible, or that wiggling doubt will stimulate your bodies panic signals and you'll fail. Some people are also just naturally at this than others and will probably go further in such sports than you or I ever will, but you can overcome it to some extent.

Go, Watch, Fuck up, talk to people and learn. Climbing is very social

I have noticed an increase in those moments the more I've bugged and skated down an entire wall and hurting myself. My body is wrecked and I guess with it so did my confidence. Time to readjust to just getting on and getting out of my head.

ok but what do his legs look like

>would it be a bad idea to climb every day?

Maybe or maybe not, depends if you include other activities throughout the week like swimming or something. Try climbing for 3 days in a row. Are you bothered by anything other muscle soreness? You can probably safely continue to climb multiple days in a row. A particular finger sore or have particularly raw and exposed skin? Noticeable, but tolerable pain when moving shoulder or hip in a certain direction? Maybe take a rest day or two. Like running or swimming you can work up to climbing every day through practice. When in doubt listen to your body. If something doesn't feel quite right it might not be and it pays to be safe about it.

go to r/climbharder for advice to climb harder. plenty of crushers on there who actually seem to know what they're talking about

Appreciate your advice

>*hand slips*
>get killed
wew lad why do people do this?

He is on belay in this photo. Also, climbing everyday is not good for you.

Unlike many sports, climbing is actually more about tendons and tension then it is about muscle mass. V10 is not uncommon nowadays for an athletic climber in two years of climbing, but every single one hits the sharp curve of tendon strength after that. I know because I did this. Fighting for grades after that takes years, and one of the largest limiting factors is finger strength.

Before you ask, the finger/hand strength is actually not related to squeezing, but the resistance to opening. you can only push so tightly onto rock, but its using the friction and disallowing the hand the open that creates a strong climber hand.

I understand, when crimping for instance it's about that complete locking off and stopping the grip opening and thereby weakening.

So does it then become about training the extensors?

Go watch valley rising and you'll understand.

Start living in your van

OP train deadlifts, cleans, rows and weighted pullups until you hit 250kg deadlift, then cut like crazy while working on your grip. Should take you like two years to get to 250kg deadlift it's piss easy.