What martial art should I start to train in?

What martial art should I start to train in?

I'm moving to a city in a week and want to learn a martial art. I just want to be confident in defending myself on the street and know more about what my body is capable of. I've read good things about Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (although BJJ might not be too useful for street fights but useful nonetheless).

Also there's an Aikido place and a Ninjutsu Dojo basically on the same block as the house I'm moving into so that's on the table if they're good and I want to weeb the fuck out. Otherwise suggest some good martial arts for a beginner.

Krav-Maga for usefulness (aka jew-jitsu)
MMA for gains mayb

Muay Thai and bjj are great. You need bjj in case some idiot decides to grapple you in a street fight

Bjj/mma, boxing for brainlet gains if that's what you want

Why is that so? Cause head hits ?

Krav Maga looks great. More reality-based and covers most combatives. Also can LARP as a soldier.

BJJ looks intense but I don't really want to rely on rolling around and wrestling someone in a street-fight. Definitely want to do it in my lifetime though.

Jew-jitsu hahahaha

I want to boxing but i have 24 yo.

I can yet?

MMA/combat sambo/kudo for starting fighting, judo/wrestling for gains, you need to compete on at least amateur level for shit to be useful in the street fight. If you just train and spar at the gym for years it will be worse for fighting skill than training for a year, competing and getting your ass kicked.

Aikido and Ninjutsu are not real martial arts, they're people playing pretend. Ignore them.
Muay thai, kickboxing, boxing, BJJ, judo, wrestling and MMA are all decent choices. Krav maga is risky because many of them don't have live sparring and are just teaching techniques against non-resisting opponents.

If your main motivation is "defending myself on the street" I don't know how long you will stick with it for though. It's hard to get good, and flimsy motivations usually only last a few months until you get sick of losing and quit. Not saying you do, but a lot of people start training martial arts because they wanna beat people up, but then quit because turns out you have to get beat up every day before you even get remotely good. You might enjoy it though, you never know.

Also I recommend doing squats, because then you can sprint away from fights fast. That's the best choice.

Judo

It’s the backbone of the combatives systems that military and police learn, mixes well with lifting, and typically has a cool community. Getting good at judo is the nearest thing there is to learning to use the force.

S&W + CCW

Really good points. Like I said, I want to see what my body is capable of which would include getting beat the fuck up regularly. I am a competitive person and wouldn't stop especially if I saw results in performance. Perhaps something with real discipline like BJJ or Judo would be good for me then. Instead of muh self-defense excuse.

Avoid Aikido and that "ninjutsu" place at all costs. Both are worthless and most likely run by larping faggots who have never actually fought.

Look for anything with live sparring. Unless you practice with an actively resisting opponent you won't be able to pull it off in a real fight.

fighting is mostly about self control and improvement, its a sport, the first thing a decent master will teach you is to not go out looking for stupid fights on the streets
look for what fighting style you like the most and forget about this stupid street fighting thing, this mma fad made a bunch of retards

>If you just train and spar at the gym for years it will be worse for fighting skill than training for a year, competing and getting your ass kicked.
Lolno. I compete maybe once or twice a year, but anyone who walks in and trains balls to the walls and competes on every occasion will still get rekt by me even after half a decade. Just training with the competition team is good enough, even if it's a good idea to compete at least occasionally to learn how to deal with stress and adrenaline dump.

MMA is king

>BJJ or Judo
Both are great. A lot of bjj gyms have limited standup (especially if you join a 10th Planet one), so Judo definitely "wins" there, but BJJ is better for grappling on the ground.
Judo can be hard to get into as an adult, at least where I live. It's a train from child thing so everyone your age already has their black belt, so you're either fighting them or kids. You'll have to check out the gym first. BJJ is super popular now, so there's white belts in all shapes and sizes everywhere.
Personally I'm partial to BJJ but that's because I do it. Instructors and members in my gym also have Judo black belts, so that's a bonus.

>it's a good idea to compete at least occasionally to learn how to deal with stress and adrenaline dump.
I remember my first competition fight. It was over in like 2-3 minutes and not super hard, but I couldn't stop breathing heavily for like 5 minutes afterwards. Definitely different than sparring.

Is Greco Roman wrestling viable for self defense?

Ninjutsu and aikido are both memes. Bjj and Muey Thai are both good.

Krav Maga is known to be trash in the fighting/martial arts world.

[citation needed]

None and just buy a fucking firearm

Krav-Maga will help you against any normal fuck, but BJJ and Muay Thai will turn your body into a weapon. If you could find a good school then Karate and Kenpo are great as well as Sambo are probably the best, but they aren't as popular in America sadly.

This whole meme about bjj not being useful in a streetfight blows my mind.
Go attend a bjj class, spar with those guys and think if you could really do shit to them, even if you land a punch, they grab a limb and it's over. Plus sparring all the time makes you hard as rock.

t. Going to get curbstomped on the ground by the dudes friends.

Kinda, it works in pins and chokes, but groundwork, which is a large part of the sport, is not always a good idea for self defense

Idk if it was just my school but I did a 1-2 month TKD trial and the first half hour was the same thing every day - meditate for 5 mins, jump rope for 5 mins, practice blocking and kicking the air for 20 mins. It was something that you shouldn't be spending like $100/month on and that you could definitely do at home. You'd get your money's worth in a gym that focuses more on sparring or the use of equipment.
I've never heard anything bad about BJJ / Judo / Muay Thai