What happens if you eat at a deficit, but lift heavy weights?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170326581
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It'll get harder

you lose fat and retain (mostly retain) muscle

unless you happen to be a novice, detrained, or fat as fuck then you might make some minor gains

You'll get pin down and you need to yell for help.

the more you cut the better.

pretty much this

This is incorrect, you will still build muscle if you eat at a deficit (so long as you're still hitting your macros) even if you're not a beginner.

You will not build as much as if you were eating at maintenance or surplus, but you WILL still build muscle

The rate at which you build muscle on a deficit is negligible. I speak from experience. The only gains I've made were in a surplus.

there's a very narrow deficit you need to be in for that to happen if you're not a beginner. also there was a study that showed that you still need to eat A LOT of protein for this to happen or you will lose lbm.

>forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170326581
See post #4

Decreases muscle loss on a cut. If your deficit isn't too high, you'll gain muscle. It's possible to gain the same amount of muscle on a cut as a bulk even at advanced lifting levels, but it's highly dependent on rest between exercising and your deficit.

literally wasting your time

you'll lose weight

You'll get dense muscle but not grow in size. So you'll look have muscle definition, but can still fit in a size S shirt. It's a waste of time, as said.

Not OP but what if I hit my macros, but the overall calories is still less than my target cals (which is kind of my goal)>

then you'll gain muscle mass, although it'll be slowly

That makes sense. Been doing IF recently and I kind of stopped losing weight, or at the very least slowed down. But my waistline and gut has still been decreasing.

I eat mostly protein to make sure that I at least get my minimum, in addition to some carbs. But I'm struggling to eat the food to get myself up to 1800 cals a day since I usually end up doing somewhere between 1300 and 1500. And at that point I can't eat anymore.

If you have like 20 percent bodyfat you have your surplus on your body. I've at least gotten stronger while cutting. By a lot. Seemed to have put on Mass but can never tell because didn't measure.

someone hasn't still looked into minicuts I see

It totally depends on macros, training, how do you manage your deficit periodization and starting bf%. You totally can grow in *BOTH* strength and size keeping a deficit on a monthly basis.
Bloaters gonna bloat, it can't be helped

t. fatties

lose strength/maintain it or gain a little if you're a beginner

You maintain and/or slowly lose strength while lowering your bodyfat.
If you're a total beginner then its somewhat grey area since just by perfecting movements you can get stronger

I started lifting as fatass, 103kg, and been cutting entire time and still cutting. I got to 82kg bench and have stalled for 3 months now. Since I stalled I lost 4 more kg and funnily enough last time I benched 82kg this happened. I didn't yell though just had to do roll of shame for the first time.

no, you won't

i don't care what some pubmed study you found says, in real life in well trained individuals muscle gain on a deficit will not happen to any measurable extent

> What happened to me must be the case for everyone.
You are wrong. Take your anecdotes and fuck right off.

Real life is strange, things you don't understand can happen

If you take Ronnie Coleman and he is 90 lbs but with Ronnie Coleman genetics and only let him eat 2 bites of food a day nigger will probably get huge anyway because it's Ronnie

Most people will struggle to put on even ounces of muscle on a deficient

But shit happens, I was out of training and went from a bodybuilding stage ready physique to duel, and I got a ton of muscle back while cutting

More rest is better? Or less?

>I was out of training and went from a bodybuilding stage ready physique to duel, and I got a ton of muscle back while cutting

which is why I included "detrained" in my original post outside of a few circumstances like being relatively new to training, detrained and returning to training, starting steroids, being ronnie coleman, having enough excess bodyfat, or training a muscle group you previously neglected, you are not going to gain measurable muscle mass on a deficit

if you've been training your chest hard for 5 years consistently and hop on a 500 calorie deficit, do you really think your chest is going to grow when you struggle to put an ounce of muscle on it under ideal circumstances as it is?