/fast/ #102 - No You Don't Lose Muscle Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0

>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

livestrong.com/article/437499-how-long-can-i-fast-before-i-start-losing-muscle/
healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide#section2
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9024254
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302400
ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Potassium-chloride-99-1000g-HDPE-Bottle-/112117315193
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>fixed my bad posture, no more backaches
>fixed my chin, no longer chinlet
>can't even fast a single day

how do i stop feeling hungry?

>Most people start to lose muscle mass after 24 to 48 hours. To stop the process, or at least reduce it, consuming a liquid with glucose, usually in the form of sugar can help. Juices and sports drinks with glucose are a popular choice.
livestrong.com/article/437499-how-long-can-i-fast-before-i-start-losing-muscle/

>>fixed my bad posture, no more backaches
>>fixed my chin, no longer chinlet

how

Hunger is caused by hormones. Unless you very underweight, if you endure the hunger long enough your body will stop producing hunger hormones.

>fast until you're no longer fat
i'm 30 pounds overweight i can just not eat until i lose it? I feel like ill lose a fuck load of strength doing that

>The body takes the glucose from glycerol in the fat tissues and the amino acids in muscle, thus beginning the process of muscle deterioration.

[citation needed]

show me proof that your body takes this from muscle when it could easily, exclusively get it from the glycerol in triglycerides

Show me the scientific study where they proved your body willingly cannibalizes muscle BEFORE fat when you're above 4% BF

1st 3-5 day you feel like crap, after that user you do not feel hungry or cranky at all.
healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide#section2
well worth the read for anyone looking to if or fast occasionally

"you don't lose muscle"
the why the fuck is innawoods such a twink

you telling me I have a 2 hour window to consume as much calories as I can to bulk? how the fuck

It's complicated, but prolonged fasting optimizes metabolism so that you don't need to eat as much to bulk.

That being said, bulking on OMAD is still quite hardcore

>prolonged fasting optimizes metabolism

you've got my attention

I am trying to eat ketogenic since a few days and fast a bit as well (Wednesday night - Friday evening)

I am also working out, but had to opt out of free weights.
I am doing calisthenics since a longer time than I thought.
And this way of living (fast/feast) brings me miniscule, very miniscule improvements in exercising which I couldn't manage by lifting weights.
You know this low reps, high weight?
In my case, it is something like this:
Do push-up 12 times
add a 1 second pause at the bottom and continue till you reach 12 again
add a 2 second pause at the bottom and continue till you reach 12 reps again.

More or less, I am waiting for the heavy weights until I am reaching the body fat percentage, that causes me to actually crave food, and not put some in my mouth to please my feeder mum's carbohydrate fetish by eating anything there is in my range of needs.

Just wanted to know if it is normal that you improve so little in that time.

he doesn'T just lift per se.
he has active hobbies which only train parts of him, he needs to overcome his ordeals

I don't know all the details, but I read two things corroborating my point:
-insulin sensitivity goes way up, which makes it easier to take mass
-damaged organites like mitochondria who use a lot of energy are recycled through autophagy, disminishing how much your cell has of them, thus also how much energy your cells needs to "breath"

Also from experience, I still gain a little mass in spite of eating noticeably less

How does anyone have a problem with this? I can eat 2k calories in one sitting, easy.

He looks like he melted, and he admits that he has 0 strength. Isn't it obvious that fasting has just made everything worse?

It's better to be strongfat than a twink.

just by keeping a good posture, it's unconfortable and awkward at first but you get used to it.
the same for my chin, just kept my jaw in a normal position and now it stays like this:
pic related (i know it doesn't seem like much but i think it;s an improvement)

strongfat doesn't get laid as much as twinks

Why not ask him, what he does in his time?
Te joke is, that he just doesn't lift like other people.
MAybe he could be encouraged to lift?
just saying.
And strongfat is actually already obese.
I think the term should be strongNormie.
something of at most 15% bodyfat for a normal human bean to be approachable and still be capable of approaching every woman: superficial ones living in a society where even looking 1% off grants you the option of being Tyrone's onahole.

The strongest I have ever been was 120 hours into wtaer fasting. and I took a lot of muscle on when I started refeeding

>Testosterone and insulin-like growth factor 1 decreased significantly in TRF (Time Restricted Feeding), with no changes in ND (Normal Diet)

Testosterone goes down while fasting..? This ruins everything

how viable is this and how do I start?
won't fasting affect my lifting? especially since I'm still progressively overloading

Why is he the only one posting photos in this thread? It's like he is a terrible example. Everyone else is claiming they are Super Saiyan from fasting, but all you have to show for it is Krilin.

I started KETO and OMAD 2 days ago. It's not as I expected.

Feel bloated af for 12h after I got my daily meal (eggs, mayo, nuts, bacon, yogurt, cheese, half of a green pepper and half of an onion total of about 1400-1500 calories, today I just switched the eggs for chicken breast). I also work out before my meal and I don't have problems with low energy. After the meal I take some supplements (vitamins, minerals etc)

I don't feel hunger, my stomach hurts. Today I woke up to a terrible case of diarrhea. As I see that's not normal since in most cases people experience terrible constipation.

On the good side I'm not experiencing fatigue nor loss of mental clarity but the pain in my stomach makes it harder to concentrate while at work.

What is happening to me? I never asked for diarrhea gains!

you have milk problems? any allergies you know of?

I don't feel like showing off. I'm not even a gym user, I do intense bloc climbing, and lift for fun once in a while.

My physique is similar to pic related

No. I'm not having problems with nuts nor lactose, as a fact, I've had 1 - 2 cups of yogurt in the morning with my breakfast for the last 2 years or so.
I'm allergic to fish for all I know.

Can i fast without potassium and sodium?
drinking nothing but water

You need to eat strict keto for 3 days beforehand to lose glycogen-related water weight. Then start fasting.

If you don't, the brutal transition will make you lose electrolytes balance.

You might still get some degree of deficiency, but it won't kill you. You can take supplements too, it works out fine.

also if you feel dizzy, tired or light-headed, drink at least a quarter-gallon of water before assuming it is mineral deficiency. Dehydration is behind a lot more than we suspect.

Can i drink water+lemon for the potassium?

drinking lemon water all day will ruin your teeth

Then What should i drink ?

potassium chloride powder + Himalayan salt in water

I'm 30 days into omad. 100% keto. My lifts are increasing. I'm down 27 pounds.

Welp. Into the trash it goes

Dyel lifts even increase with 0 calories so what fag

I bench 375

>>Testosterone goes down while fasting

Nope.

Fasting down regulates leptin, and decreased leptin will stimulate testosterone secretion

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9024254

no you don't lol

>16 hours
>fasting
many of the good effects, like huge spike in testosterone, only come around the 24 hours mark.

>doesn't want to show off
>on an anonymous malaysian noodle cooking mailing list
No, you're not posting pictures because you look like shit. Go on, prove me wrong, post a timestamped pic.

I've got nothing to prove to you. I'm 38 years old ... lifting since 13.

Believe what you may, I don't mind. Although I welcome gains, I feel good with what I have, and so do the girls I sleep with.

One of them even said that I had shoulders too big, but she had terrible taste.

>MUH DIK
every time

It's alright, it's more judicious to not trust what anons claim anyways.

I've been planning to do a 28 day fast for a while, and I think I've built up to it.

No Food February, here we go!

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
>"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

OP you fucking faggot. In that study they fasted only for 16 hours a day and ate a whooping 2800 kcal in the remaining 8 hour window - the EXACT OPPOSITE WHAT THE VIDEO RECOMMENDS

>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Fasting periods lasting longer than 24 hours and particularly those lasting 3 or more days should be done under the supervision of a physician and preferably in a clinic.

tl;dr OP is an illiterate homosexual who can't be bothered to read his own sources.

>decreased leptin will stimulate testosterone secretion
what's your source?

>Strong association between serum levels of leptin and testosterone in men.
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302400

Source?

hate to repeat myself but I need an answer
when do I get brain gains? seems like even OMAD is making me stupid. My body is in the best shape it's been in years but I cannot focus on work to save my life

When I do eat I try to get one to two servings of veggies (be it lettuce from salad, spinach, kale, broccoli, or green beans) and the meat being fish or chicken (though in the past 2 days work events have me eating pizza admittedly) but this has been an ongoing problem for months now. I hate this job but I'm trying to make it work because it pays well, boss is good (working with me on issues), and If I quit before mid june I have to pay back sign-on bonus of 10k

how to get brain gains? send help

>Can i fast without potassium and sodium?
How long you survive will depend on you kidneys' ability to recover minerals and your hearts ability to work as the electrical effect is weakening.

If you don't like ruining tasteful water you can do what I do and keep a bowl with a proper mix of sodium/potassium (and sometimes other minerals) on the table. Put a teaspoon in it and chase down a ml as needed.

Get on my level I've reached the point where my brain is absolutely buzzing with new ideas, creativity levels are enormous and I'm working on a new business since I started OMAD+165hr fasting.

You know it makes sense.

Height: 173cm / 5"8'
Weight at start: 116kg / 256 lbs / BMI 36 "Obese Class II (Moderate-Risk obesity)"
Current weight: 96.7kg / 213.2 lbs / BMI 32 "Obese Class I (Low-Risk obesity)"
Weight Lost: 19.3kg / 42.5lbs / 16.6% Body Weight
Weight Target: 68KG / 149lbs / BMI 22 "Healthy"
Stretch Target: 60KG / 132lbs / BMI 20 "Healthy"
TDEE: 2,165
Calorific deficit: -2,019 per day / -14,133 per week
Fasting Regime: OMAW+165hr fasting each week
OMAW: 1,022 Calories (4 Lamb chops with gravy and ratatouille)
Current rate of loss: 2.4KG / 5.2lbs per week

I take a range of multivitamin supplements which some view that (for example) the Cod Liver Oil "Breaks the Fast", but I test my ketone level every day and have been in permanent ketosis since I started my full-on OMAW+165hr fasting regime at the end of December (previously I was working up to this), so I think they are wrong or at least wrong with how my body deals with it.

why are americans such fags...
What do to stop hunger? you fucking embrace the pain and just dont eat.

glucose, anti-inflammatory foods (like herring for dat dere omega 3)

Not sure what problems you suffer from. If it's working-memory, and concentration problems similar to ADHD, showing weak performance in Dual N-Back (Brainworkshop at sourceforge), I was helped by switching to a full ketogenic diet and +50 mcg D-vitamin/day for a few months. (Still doing +25 mcg/day Vitamin-D)
Took a couple of weeks before I saw any improvement and I used above app as one of several ways to measure my progress.

Get on my level I've reached the point where my brain is absolutely buzzing with new ideas, creativity levels are enormous and I'm working on a new business since I started OMAW+165hr fasting.

You know it makes sense.

Height: 173cm / 5"8'
Weight at start: 116kg / 256 lbs / BMI 36 "Obese Class II (Moderate-Risk obesity)"
Current weight: 96.7kg / 213.2 lbs / BMI 32 "Obese Class I (Low-Risk obesity)"
Weight Lost: 19.3kg / 42.5lbs / 16.6% Body Weight
Weight Target: 68KG / 149lbs / BMI 22 "Healthy"
Stretch Target: 60KG / 132lbs / BMI 20 "Healthy"
TDEE: 2,165
Calorific deficit: -2,019 per day / -14,133 per week
Fasting Regime: OMAW+165hr fasting each week
Current rate of loss: 2.4KG / 5.2lbs per week

I take a range of multivitamin supplements which some view that (for example) the Cod Liver Oil "Breaks the Fast", but I test my ketone level every day and have been in permanent ketosis since I started my full-on OMAW+165hr fasting regime at the end of December (previously I was working up to this), so I think they are wrong or at least wrong with how my body deals with it.

i'm not american m8
9,000 km (5,600 mile) is the closest i've been to u.s.

do i break my fast i eat my boogers?
please, i need to know

>no you don't lose muscle
post your muscular physique and I will stop calling your bs out

If I do OMAD, do I need to have a massive meal at the end of the day to maintain weight? Like around 3000kcals

It needs to have the calorific value of AT LEAST your daily TDEE if you are to maintain your current weight.

So if your TDEE is 3000kcals then you need to eat a meal of 3000kcals.

That seems pretty daunting, by no means impossible but that's a big meal.

So what about you, judging by your name do you have a colossal meal every week?

>So what about you, judging by your name do you have a colossal meal every week?

No.

So your goal is quite large weight loss then I assume. How is it going?

>Age: 51 (Male)
>Height: 173cm / 5"8'
>Weight at start: 116kg / 256 lbs / BMI 36 "Obese Class II (Moderate-Risk obesity)"
>Current weight: 96.7kg / 213.2 lbs / BMI 32 "Obese Class I (Low-Risk obesity)"
>Weight Lost: 19.3kg / 42.5lbs / 16.6% Body Weight
>Weight Target: 68KG / 149lbs / BMI 22 "Healthy"
>Stretch Target: 60KG / 132lbs / BMI 20 "Healthy"
>TDEE: 2,165
>Calorific deficit: -2,019 per day / -14,133 per week
>Fasting Regime: OMAW+165hr fasting each week
>OMAW: 1,022 Calories (4 Lamb chops with gravy and ratatouille)
>Current rate of loss: 2.4KG / 5.2lbs per week

>being 51
lmao your life is over you manlet

I'm retired, if that's what you mean yes.

Amaying man! Holy crap, losing 20 kilograms, how long did that take you and how did you feel during the fast? Also how did you feel once you've lost that much?

I'm rooting for you, it's not too late to make it!

If I do no food no fap febuary will the fast super powers synergize with the no fap powers? or do they just stack additively?

It started incrementally with 5:2 which I found to be good, but too tame, so I gradually increased it to AFD, then OMAD, then through 48hr, 72hr and finally 165hr fasting where I am today.

I have a social engagement on Monday evenings which is when I eat, but other than that it is fasting all the way.

The major weight loss has only really kicked in since January 9th and the rate of loss continues to increase as ketosis becomes more intensive.

One thing that I've found is the clothes I was wearing in October now fit me like bed sheets, so I got the suitcase full of "Stuff I love but can no longer wear, but lets save it for when I'm thin again" from the back of the wardrobe, put them through the laundry and they are what I am wearing at the moment.

Most of these clothes (mostly shirts and t-shirts) haven't fitted since the late 90's, early 2000's, but even these probably will look like bed sheets by the end of the month.

The first 3 days of fasting were the worst, with gnawing hunger and headaches, but since then its been a walk in the park, I don't feel hungry or anything anymore and I feel great, very mentally alert.

I definitely recommend it, but it's not for the faint hearted.

You have to have it to lose it, man. He's also going twink mode so he probably unironically eats a bunch of soy, low protein and whatever else fags eat to look more feminine.

If either of you remember "Through the twisting Nether" on youtube he basically did a 2 hour eating window where he ate mostly fat/protein in the first hour, then his carbs/fiber in the second and argued the same thing. He said he ate about 2300 calories a day (I think that was the number, either way it was way too little for a dude his weight) a day.

Stop eating booger u mogoloid

No you don't.

fasting may or may not have made me straight

or it's just the crashed libido

Guys im tryin the snake juice diet, how Do i not kill myself with that pure stuff? I only have pic related but only read the kalium amount.. so how much do I need of pure KCL per liter or day or whatever?
Help me out, too small to die, wanna at least become Piana mode before I die from accidental overdose or something.

Praise Jesus

wow, fasting really does cure everything

I want to try fasting for multiple days straight but i am worried about getting light headed. I always thought if you didnt eat enough you would faint or something. Should i be concerned about driving while fasting?

Drink your electrolytes

Potassium Chloride
+
Himalayan Mountain Salt
+ water

This stops the light headedness for me, as opposed to just water. I have no problem driving.

I'm currently on 118 hours fast, I feel fine, not really hungry, a little fatigued but that's all.

any reason it's gotta be himalayan? would iodized sea salt work just as well?

I prefer it because of the other minerals and shit in it.

It doesn't really matter.

>light headed
Never had a problem with it, indeed fasting has improved my concentration and my creativity to an enormous degree.

If I only have about 10 pounds to loose and am still lifting is OMAD my best bet?

This is probably referring to the glycogen stores in the muscles. It would take several reactions to turn an amino acid into a glucose molecule, whereas glycogen chains are made exclusively of glucose, so the linkages between them just need to be cleaved to yield glucose.

I thought water fasting would be hard but it's surprisingly easy for me somehow.

I'm a fat fuck at 260lb currently, but it's been 5 days so far and I completely lost my hunger impulses. I dropped nearly ten pounds within 2 weeks somehow as I dropped all fast food and soda back on the 1st.

Before I started fasting I limited myself to about 600 calories a day, but I progressively ate less and less while still feeling happier and better.

Turns out I wasn't actually hungry all those times, I just really fucking liked Pizza.

i think it gets harder the more weight you lose
less fat to survive off of
so be ready for that

>I thought water fasting would be hard but it's surprisingly easy for me somehow.
Same for me. After the difficult first few days it was a piece of piss.

>I'm a fat fuck at 260lb currently
I was 116KG / 256lb when I started fasting back in November. I am currently 96.7kg / 213.2 lbs and tomorrow I will be closer to 211lbs.

>I just really fucking liked Pizza
Who doesn't?

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
Is there any source for this? How am I supposed to get anywhere near 4700mg of potassium? Why do you need so much sodium? Am I aiming for 2000 and 4700 mg of potassium? Where in the hell does this information even come from?

December 2 > January 31

Bumping for this

4700 mg is the US government recommended amount of potassium. You can get it from salt substitutes like "LoSalt"

>Is there any source for this?
Google this "sodium potassium balance in human body" - when you aren't fasting you aren't getting this. and you need it.

>How am I supposed to get anywhere near 4700mg of potassium?
You google shopping search for something AKIN to this ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Potassium-chloride-99-1000g-HDPE-Bottle-/112117315193

>Why do you need so much sodium?
Because you currently eat more sodium than that every day in your food

>Am I aiming for 2000 and 4700 mg of potassium?
Why don't you also google RDA of sodium and Potassium for a human male,

>Where in the hell does this information even come from?
I find it a little alarming you do not know that human beings need salt and potassium to function

Recently did a 2 day water fast after 2 months of intermittent fasting. Literally wasnt hungry at all, but experienced crazy fatigue and a yearning for food (not from hunger, but from taste / experience of eating). Considering doing a 5 day fast soon

>Considering doing a 5 day fast soon

Well done user. Go for it.

Fasting is a one-way bet, you literally cannot lose.

I personally just take shots of olive oil

I'm on 4.5 days... feels good man,

do it, smash it, enjoy it, feel better

day 12 vodka fast hurt