OATS!

OATS are a meme right?

Seems to be wide spread throughout the industry that for breakfast you should be eating eggs and oats, but why?

I hate the idea of eating gluggy baby shit, so I've always just had cereal and accepted that I'm not going to be having the best start. But comparing the macros on a nonkiddies cereal and a box of oats wields very little differences.

At 100g servings I'm talking about 50kj in every or 3g of protien or anything else important.

So, are oats a meme and if not why? And don't be bringing colours, preserviatives, etc into this - that ain't fitness, just general health.

oats have more fiber, protein, minerals, vitamins. The carbs in oats are absorbed slower, meaning more even blood sugar/ insulin. Will also keep you full longer.

Oats are baby shit if you don't add anything to them. Personally, I add a bit less than a tablespoon of peanut butter to my oatmeal, and it is great.

Just put some honey and peanut butter in it for fucks sake. Learn to eat like an adult.

The secret I found was just dropping a scoop of whey in. Shit is cash. Then the next step was adding cinnamon and if you want to treat yourself some fruit.

humans aren't meant to eat grains anyway. Just eat eggs and veggies for breakfast

This

Oats with peanut butter is gudd

>humans aren't meant to eat grains
Humans also aren't meant to eat anything other than roots, vegetables, fruits, and the occasional piece of meat.

All raw by the way. Cooking with fire is relatively recent in human history and is not "natural," so eat those eggs and veggies raw.

just saying that the constant carb intake will fuck you up. Carbs aren't even satiating anyway. I'm not advocating for paleo, but I think everyone should try to reduce their carbohydrate intake, and if OP hates oats then why eat them at all

to be honest oats are good for the insoluble fiber more than anything. one of the best sources of it

t. Watched a YouTube video once and read the intro of a blog post.

Wanna know how I can tell you're an obese lardass?

Nigger tell me whoever the people were that subsited on roots and wild fruits and vegetables as their main source of calories.

For allmost all of the world fruits are incredibly seasonal and wild "vegetables" are scarce and also seasonal. Roots aren't particularly prolific either, and you can wipe out a "patch" in a very small time, these wouldn't have been a reliable source for non-agricultural people.

Small - medium game (or massive in the form of mammoth hunter groups) would have been the most reliable source of calories for our ancestors in europe for the last 10k years.

obese lardasses eat loads of carbs though. that's kind of their thing. fried potatoes and shit packed with sugar

fish was the main thing european (and I assume other) hunter gatherers ate.

Okay so most of you are missing the mark. Adding things to oats is defeating the purpose when weight for weight they're equal in macros to a premixed cereal.

If you're struggling to eat enough fats sure eat oats and peanut butter or if you need more sugars that oats and fruit. But oats are only situationally benefitial when it comes to macros.

For me I need to hit something like 9000kj, 230g of protien, some unobtainably high level of fat and like 230g in carbs. I can easily do that without oats.

Here's some stats: uncle tobies plus protien vs generic quick oats at 100g serving.

Energy- 1540kj vs 1590kj
Protien- 14g vs 12g
Fat total- 2.2g vs 8.8g
Carb- 67.5g vs 56.1g
D fibre- 8.4g vs 12.8g
Price- 96c vs 0.16c

As you can see besides fat and price the 2 are comparable, until you add extras to the oats that I don't need in my diet.

So for the average person going to the gym who doesn't need to eat a 20000kj diet, why bother with oats?

fair, though in my mind fish is part of "small game" though I know it's usually classified otherwise.

Personally I'd love to go out and fish for my meals (usually catch n' release) but even our local government advises that it is not safe to eat the local fish.

>cornflakes pic
>oats

>just saying that the constant carb intake will fuck you up.

t. sedentary person who doesn't engage in any serious athletic activities

So sorry for posting on my phone while doing my shopping and trying to start a discussion on why oats aren't our saving grace. I'll do better next time I make this thread.

It's okay we still love you.

you don't need carbs for athletic activities. In fact, keytones are much more efficient for such things because you won't "hit the wall" like athletes do when their glycogen stores are depleted.

eat them dry or uncooked with milk if you need the calories.

uncooked oats left overnight in the fridge to soak in milk are god tier

You're just regurgitating an empty theory-based keto talking point that is absolute nonsense in practice. Two main reasons: 1) You can't digest fats and proteins fast enough to provide the energy needed for frequent, prolonged bouts of strenuous physical activity, and 2) in the absence of abundant glycogen stores (i.e. in a full ketogenic state) your muscles are physically less efficient. It is a fact that without glycogen high intensity performance is impaired. And as pointed out in 1), gluconeogensis is too slow and inefficient to make up for the deficit in serious athletic situations.

I don't doubt keto is a fine diet for people with sedentary lifestyles, but don't pretend that it's a viable alternative to how athletes currently eat and train. If there *was* an actual advantage (and not just a hypothetical UNLIMITED FAT METABOLISM INFINITE ENERGY extrapolation) then you can be sure that more athletes would actually be on keto.

So as I said,
>t. sedentary non-athlete

>gluconeogensis is too slow and inefficient to make up for the deficit in serious athletic situations.
wut? my whole point is that glucose is unnecessary. Anyways, cutting down on carbs never hurt anyone, especially those trying to lose weight--which was the whole point of my original statement.

even when you're in ketosis your body still synthesizes small amounts of glucose for use by the brain and muscles.

>for use by the brain
yes about 1/3 of the brain must always run on glucose
>and muscles
no, skeletal muscles are perfectly fine to run on keytones

>Seems to be wide spread throughout the industry that for breakfast you should be eating eggs and oats, but why?
Nigger I have been eating these two combos for years even before it became a meme and everyone starts doing it. I eat rolled oats mixed with a little milk and some scrambles on the side, best way to start the day but I would admit eating this every single day for the past few years can be boring.
>ironically going on vacations and eating hotel breakfast for a few days can be tiresome and make me miss my oats