Why the fuck am i getting shin splits! I start focusing on my cardio so i go out and run 3 miles every other day...

Why the fuck am i getting shin splits! I start focusing on my cardio so i go out and run 3 miles every other day. Fast forward a month later I'm getting nasty shin splits that last all fucking day. I decide to layoff the running and give my legs time to recover. Pick up running after week and a half rest and sure enough it comes back. I stretch before and after. I use a fucking foam roll.

I got them too, same situation. Use a boxing bag and jump rope for cardio until it heals.

It could be overpronation, weak calves, heal striking or any number of other causes.

Rest for a while, return to it with a slower increase in volume. Consider running on softer surfaces such as grass or a running track rather than concrete. Analise your gait, and pay attention to the patterns of wear on the soles of your running shoes as they can sometimes betray running form issues.

Without footage of you running there is nothing to even start with here aside from assuming that you are pushing your body too hard too quickly.

i did, but when i healed up and went back to running, the whole process just started up again

i use these. i run on the forefront of my foot so i'm not heel striking. the path i normally run on is concerte for half and dirt for the other half. I have pretty high fucking arches.

since i'm running barefooted my gait is small and quick paddle like so when my foot is landing, its not crashing down.

400mg ibuprofen 30min to 1hr before your run. Keep strength training and keep running with good form (good form makes you tired faster but fuck it, run properly). Should stabilize after a while.

any luck with calf sleeves for shin splints? i tend to get inside/medial side of my tibia.

i'm deployed so i do most of my running on the (crappy) track. i switched up sides and that's taking care of my shin splints but i think it's stressing one of my IT bands more since i only turn one directioon

Be honest, what is the difference between using those and simply running barefoot?

I was in the same situation as you.
Assuming you're not fat

Here's what I did
>Warm up nice and good slow jog
>Run
>At the end do calf stretches

Google calf stretch for inner and outer calf

Do these everyday

Bye bye shin splints

Also do you walk too fast or are your strides longer than usual? Stop that

How does calf stretching prevent shin splints?

Barefoot is barefoot but with these its with shoes

It works the lombarta thus avoiding the splints.

Not sure but it helped. Singlehandedly cured them

this one covers your feet

Had this issue for years.

Turned out to be exertional compartment syndrome.

They have a test for it.

Requires fasciotomy.

Won't that defeat the purpose of being barefoot?

Running barefoot is natural. Actually normal running shoes are more natural. Those shoes spread your toes out forcibly and thats not how the foot actually works.

You're probably running with bad form. Make sure to dorsiflex (point toes upward when off the ground), keep your body straight, and keep your arms at a near 90° angle, hands going from hip to chin.

Been to a podiatrist? I suspect you may have a over pronation problem. That could potentially be corrected with the right orthotic.

Hips to nips or cheek to cheek are the best ways to remember it
Also OP ditch the vibram’s, the minimalist running trend died like 4 years ago for reasons like this. Go to your local running shop and get them to analyze your gait and put you in a good shoe. Sounds like you’re a neutral, forefoot runner who likes lightweight shoes, so I’d recommend something like the Kinvara from Saucony, but don’t quote me on that

Not op.

Whenever I run, or walk for long distances, my right foot toes remain firm and fixes easily, but my left foot toes constantly flex with my big toe pointing upward. This causes some sort of stretching in my foot and makes it uncomfortable and wears out the padding in my steel toe boots prematurely.

I noticed both of these problems when all my socks had the same hole pattern, and it became painful to walk around in my own pair of toeshoes.

You're heel striking. Land on your midfoot more towards the ball of your feet then push off.

OP literally says he’s a forefoot striker here you colossal brainlet

Only pussies give a shit about shin splints. I used to run 75 miles a week and had shin splints all the time, it's not a real injury. Everyone has it. Take some ibuprofen if you don't have the guts pussy.

Probably caused by your massive overtraining

Are you positive you have the correct shoes for your gait? I'm one of the ~5% of people who underpronate/supinate, and always had problems. Most people are overpronaters I believe so many running shoes have stability control designed to help with them, which then fights against me.

i love my kinvaras. only thing is that they wear out pretty quick.

i'm thinking of getting some ON shoes next.

same here. low arches (but they don't collapse), neutral to supinate. ankles if anything are hypermobile. shoes are a bit of a cluster for me