QTDDTOT

Can weighted chest dips replace flat bench press? If aesthetics is the primary goal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jJNIW9Bca40
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And also what are the most worthwhile supplements other than whey?

I want to make my workout session shorter so I can sleep longer. Most straight-forward solution seems to be to reduce rest times.
I seem to recall reading once that you can get "most" of the result by doing just one set, instead of the traditional 3? How much is "most"? The 1 set would then probably have to be more reps than the traditional 5? Is this something that's true in general (beginner / intermediate / advanced, all lifts or just some, ...)?
Another option might be super-setting?

Yes, they can
Creatine, iodine and omega 3 are good i have heard
Just do the excercises in a circuit, but sort your time out

As a rule, more training is better than less training. But there is a point of diminishing returns, meaning that you get less and less out of training more and more.
And after a certain point, training more will give no additional benefit. If you STILL keep upping the dose, you can even start seeing worse results.

Basically imagine a bell shaped curve, with a little more training being very good, a lot more training being a little better, a ton of training being a tiny bit better, and a fuckton of training being worse than just a lot of training.

Now this is all relative of course. What's "a lot" to you may be a little to the next guy, and the other way around.

Remember also that all sets aren't created equal. A single all-out effort set where you almost shit out your spleen can be as stimulating as several submaximal sets. The exercise selection matters as well. A heavy bench press causes a much greater impact than a heavy set of machine chest presses.

In summary, you can see good results from training just an hour twice a week. Will it be optimal? No. But let's be real... most people get zero results in the gym, so they should worry less about what might be optimal and more about just getting the ball rolling.

They can, but just do regular dips. Flaring your elbows greatly reduces the load you can handle before you run into shoulder problems.

>iodine
Depends on where you live. Many places it's added to the salt and supplementation isn't needed.

Again depending on where you live, vitamin D can be a worthwhile investment.

Whats that one Pink Floyd song that starts with marching and has a really dirty bass lick to open it up?

Yeah, circuit is maybe the more correct term for what I meant when I said super-setting. Basically instead of doing all my sets for exercise A, then all my sets for exercise B, etc, do one set for each, then the next set for each. Thus hopefully cutting out (a significant part of) the rest time.

Yeah, definitely want to shoot for adequate instead of optimal here. Currently doing 3x 1h or so, but it would be a lot more comfortable (and I would be much more likely to keep it up) if I could take it down to 3x 30m or so. If I could get like 75% of the result in 50% of the time, that would be a really good deal :) No idea how realistic those numbers are though...
Just trying to figure out where to draw the line, and how to handle things. Probably just best to experiment a bit I guess.
Would prefer to stick with 3 short/medium strength training sessions though, longer sessions suck because they cut into sleep, more sessions would mean cutting back on running (or, again, reducing sleep or other activities).

Thanks!

Be very picky with your exercise selection then. Remember, gains come when you improve your performance, so the lifts you choose must be worked hard so you can keep progressing. That means you'll have time for one or maybe two exercises per session.
You will want to choose exercises that involve as much muscle mass as possible.

Don't worry about whether you're doing 2 or 5 sets, or 5 or 12 reps. Just warm up, pick a single big fucking exercise (e.g. trapbar deadlift, decline bench press, lowbar squat) and just see how much quality work you can perform in however much time you have e.g. 15 minutes.
Next time you do the exercise, make sure you beat your previous performance. You'll make gains.

I find weighted chest dips to be a better chest development than flat bp but I do both.

L-Citurline is pretty solid.
examine .com/supplements/citrulline/

Am I overtraining? Recently became pretty depressed and the not getting the results Id like. Specifically my chest feels like its lagging behind. Only lifting for about 3 months now, and doing a 6day brosplit.

>Chest/tris
db bench 5x6-8
db flys 3x12
Inc db bench 5x6-8
Overhead db pullovers 3x8-12
Cable crossovers 4x8
Cable pulldowns 4x12 (hold for 1s)
Db kickbacks 4x12
db tricept press 4x8
db skull crushers 4x8
dips 3xf

>Back/Bi's
Facepulls 5x12
Weighted hyperextensions 5x5
Back fly machine 4x8
Lat pulldowns 5x6-8
Seated cable rows 4x8 (last set AMRAP)
Cable curls 4x6-8
Seated incline curls 4x6-8
Hammer curls 4x6-8
Pullups 4xf
Db curls 3xf

>Shoulder/legs
standing db OHP 5x8
arnold press 4x6-8
Lateral raises 4x12
^superset front raises x12
Shrugs 4x6-8
Leg press 5x5
calf raises 3x24

Advice? Maybe its time to leave PF.

>Am I overtraining?
Well you are doing more volume than a pro bodybuilder.

It's not hard to answer though. Are you stronger from session to session? Is your performance continuously improving? If yes, you're fine (against the odds). If no, you're likely doing too much, yeah.

19 sets for triceps, not even including bench presses, overhead presses and pull-overs. Oh and this is twice a week, yeah?
5 sets for quads
5 sets for hamstrings (if those hyperextensions are 45 degree back extensions)

Seems perfectly balanced.

In other news, you're a FUCKING IDIOT. Notice how I put that i caps.

Yeah my bench and OHP has been stuck for a few weeks, and sometimes feel weaker. I'm eating clean and at a nice surplus.

How should I go about cutting down the volume? lower the number of sets, reps, or remove redundant exercises like the arnold press?

Do 2 or 3 exercises per muscle group per day. You will probably see better results doing 2, but if you're a gym junkie try 3. So yes this means you have a lot of cleaning up to do.

If you still aren't getting stronger, cut down to 4 days a week.

You don't have to be a minimalist, OK, but there is absolutely such a thing as overdoing it.

Making the jump from dumbbells at home to a real gym. Wanting to boost strength. Is this routine any good or am I a fucking noob.
Mon
Deads 5x5
Lat pull down 4x8-12
Bent over row 4x8-12
Curls 4x8-12
Pull ups 4xf

Wed
Bench 5x5
Incline bench 4x8-12
Skull crushers 4x8-12
Push downs 4x8-12
Dips 4xf

Fri
Squats 5x5
Stiff legged deads 4x8-12
OHP 5x5
Lateral raises 4x8-12
Face pulls 4x8-12

Not too bad. I'd cut out the lat pull-downs unless you do them very differently than how you do pull-ups. I'd also just do either skullcrushers or pushdowns, or at least do fewer sets of each.

There's no calf work, forearm work, ab work, single leg work.
Not saying you necessarily need any of that, just pointing it out.

way too much volume brother. you can develop an aesthetic chest fast just getting super strong on incline

>you're a FUCKING IDIOT.
yah no doubt.
Thanks for the advice. Going to miss all that other shit though.
Word. Gonna put something more sensible together. Thanks myman.

>put lat pull downs inB4 bent over row cuz I thought that might be too much for my lower back
Thanks about the triceps stuff, will adjust
>I do abs on rest days for 10-15 mins
>calf work and forearms I can do at home with the dumbbells I have

What is the way to obtain healthy sexuality?

100%

Dips are overall a better exercise. The only advantage flat bench press has is the ability to consistently add weight to the bar. Otherwise pretty much every exercise that works mostly the same muscles (ohp, db bench, dips) outclasses it.

Multi (with zinc, magnesium, etc), pre-workout or a general caffeine supplement. Creatine is alright but not necessary or a significant boost I've noticed.

Supersetting is the best option, especially if you're working the opposite body part (not necessarily because of any inherent advantage, though. Purely for saving time).

Your routine is shit and you're doing way too much volume. Overtraining is mostly a meme, but you're doing way, way beyond what anyone should really be doing at the gym. From a training perspective, switch to something where you're working every body part 3x a week. Hitting a muscle for 3 sets/day for 3 days a week is going to get you more results than hitting that same muscle 30 sets/day for one day.

Why is every newfriend on here obsessed with working each muscle once a week or generally making their own routine? Stick to an established routine that has you working everything 3x a week. Your exercise selection is fine, the idea of working everything 1x a week is not.

Don't listen to these scrubs op. Dips will never replace bench press for chest development. It's nice to use but anybody who would say that clearly has a poverty bench never sniffed 3pl8.

Can I use pause bench press instead of spoto press as an accessory movement? Are they the same in terms of strength development?

How do i know when i have gained enough strength to switch beginners strength program to something that has a bit more hypertrophy? 5x5 squatting is starting to really bore me

Until you cant progress in the programm. Don't change if you have not reached a plateu. If it bores you maybe the weight is too little

OP here. Thanks for the answers!

so after squatting 5x5 i usually feel some sort of pain on my lower back (pic related). its usually only on the right side and it goes away after i go home and rest. its not painful more like my back is stretched or hardened, idk how to explain it. is it potentially a problem or is it just how it is with squats?

also when doing SS/SL, is substituting one of the squats with other lifts (ex. incline bench) good or bad? just want to know the pros and cons.

Starting lifter here, I'm starting a cardio routine as well as my lifting. Would it be better to run on the 3 days I also lift to keep my recovery days free, or run on the days I don't lift to maintain intensity/not get tired from one or the other and lose gains?

Is it ok to exercise a muscle with DOMS? Should I go easy on it?

I wake up with a fast heartrate. Is this normal. Like around 100 bpm.

what exactly do you mean when you say 'form'? it is like technique?

I think it's like a pump of sorts. I normally get it as I'm warming up. You're basically doing a bunch of sets of 5 reps and it builds up.

For skull crushers and bicep curls, will I be better off getting a tricep bar (as pictured) and doing hammer grip or an EZ-curl bar (the wavy type) and doing normal grip?

The straight bar is a little painful on my elbows and is not great for supersets.

i see. i hope its just that and nothing serious. thanks.

Seeing as how you squat with weight on both sides of the bar but only feel this on one side of your body, its reasonable to believe that your "pump" is a strength imbalance or twisted hips. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
The tension could be your hip flexors or spinal erectors or whatever else compensating for the uneven load you place on them after you squat by pulling on one side harder than the other because your hips aren't balanced.
Your hips are not locked into place, and can tilt on either x,y axis over time due to the way you sit, driving, sleeping on your side, consistently approaching stairs with the same leg, and so on.
This uncomfortable sensation can progress into many different symptoms, such as a lack of hip mobility (can you touch your toes?) and sciatica (because the side of your hip that's raised pulls on the sciatic nerve; not due to a herniated disc).
If you're really concerned, form a relationship with a chiropractor or a P.T. You don't have to use them as a crutch and sperg out every time something hurts, but I'd argue its better to have someone knowledgeable be familiar with your body than just ignoring it.
Is one of your legs is longer than the other (something a doctor/chiro or P.T. can tell you)? Also try stretching.

>tricep bar
>posts a picture of ass-to-ass dildo
c'mon man

Either bars are a fine alternative to straight bars. Just find your preference. There is no real difference between the EZ bar and the hammer grip unless your really care about maximal biceps activation during a triceps exercise. Do what doesn't hurt.

it might be imbalance because my left side is my dominant side (stronger leg, stronger arm, lefty). i'm also not very flexible which is a possibility of the cause so i try to stretch before and after workout. i don't think its bad though cause i can still do my other workout and it goes away after some time. but thank you, i'll try to pay attention to it so it wouldn't get worse.

That's the smart approach. Godspeed lad.

I've got a sore throat, it hurts to eat and drink, and I'm slightly light headed. Should I skip the gym? I don't want to miss it. I really don't. But I don't want to get others sick or get potentially get worse?
What's a good way to make up for missing the gym if I am to skip?

You can't make up for it. Just go.
Why wouldn't you want to make others sick? Every man's gains diminish you! More competition!

What was the website that let you list your lifts and it gave you a percentage difference between them. Looked something like my pic

symmetric strength

Symmetric strength? Is pretty much the same as your pic

symmetric strength

Thanks, brehs

bench also has the advantage of being quantifiable in terms of total weight used, and being amenable to judging a 1rm lift. that's why it's a competition lift, and it being a competition lift is why it's a standard.

ez curl bar is better

yes. no. you'll know by the end of warmups if it's just doms or something else

good Aesthetics routine instead of 531?

too many reps, feel really tired all the time

what is the best assistance moves for each compound moves? i'm looking for exercises that would help with the main movements.

Then you aren't eating or sleeping enough for any aesthetics routine.
5/3/1 is not a difficult program, even under a BBB template

Is PHUL a meme? I'm thinking switching to it, because I reached 100 kg squat on Greyskull LP.

My bench is 60 kg, so I want to get some more upperbody strength.

Any advice, fellow fitizens, please?

Never tried PHUL, but I've heard very good things and a friend of mine made good gains with it.
My only point of concern would be your lifts. How much do you weigh? How long have you been lifting?
I don't mean this to be offensive, but your squat and bench are solidly in the beginner range, and I think you'd likely benefit from a beginner program more than an intermediate program such as PHUL.

Squat - Stiff-Legged Deadlifts and Single Leg DB Squats
Deadlift - Kroc Rows and Good Mornings
OHP - Behind the neck OHP and high volume Face-Pulls
Bench - Incline Arnold Press and Weighted Dips

if im primary runfag, does it make sense to buy roving machine?

ANYTHING is better than wendler's ripoff
try lyle mcdonald's generic bulking routine. it's on his forum with a sticky thread that tells all about it, splits, modifications, etc

variations of the lift itself are often best, in general. it also helps to identify where you're weak in the main lift and pick assistance that helps with it.
close grip bench, towel bench aka board bench, spoto press, incline bench, pause bench.
high-bar squat, front squat, pause squat, box squat.
pause deadlift, deficit deadlift, deadlift from boxes aka rack pulls, romanian deadlift, stiff-leg deadlift, straight-leg deadlift, snatch grip deadlift.
lots of things cross over between the deadlift and squat. front squats for example will help both. anything hamstring-related helps both. good mornings. glute-ham raise, machine leg curls.
lots of upper back stuff crosses over to help both bench and deadlift. bent rows, pullups and chinups.
unilateral leg work and machine work can help squat. lunges, split squats, leg press, leg extensions.
for bench, overhead press is a good assistance lift. also dips. isolation work like skullcrushers, flies.
in terms of "best" that depends also on what your program is.
for example, i do fullbody strength training and use olympic lifts as main lifts as well, so i concentrate on using only a couple of major compound lifts each week for assistance and most of the assistance is for the bench as i get a lot of leg work as it is. front squats, overhead press, dips, close-grip bench, straight-leg deads.
what you do will vary, but above are a lot of options.

Thanks, friend. No offense taken.

I weigh 70 kg, 5'8. I've been doing Greyskull LP since september.

I'm just scared that my legs will be fucking huge and that my upperbody is lagging behind.
Think I should just continue GSLP until April and then switch?

if you've got the money. rowing is great cardio and unlike running, it works the full body very well, and is low impact so less risk of overuse injuries. use it to crosstrain, cut out the garbage miles from your program, and make your main runs something like furman's FIRST program, and you'll probably have good racing success with lower injury rates than your peers.

concept behind phul is decent. but you can accomplish the same thing conceptually with any upper/lower split by just changing rep range emphasis between the first and second workout.
also, a 60kg bench and 100kg squat are not wildly out of line with each other.

thank you for these suggestions.

skelly here
i find i can't maintain proper deadlift form,i always end up rounding my upper back. do i just have to increase upper body strength or am i just being a retard?

My right calf is bigger than the left, best one legged exercise to remedy this?

Flat barbell bench is the worst chest exercise for aesthetics, even if your chest fibers are perfectly horizontal. While I'd never personally do weighted dips, even though I have the shoulder mobility for dips, yes, weight chest dips are a much better alternative. So are is flat db bench, incline db, and cable flys.

The only two things that have made a noticeable difference in my opinion are vitamin D and zinc. Fish oil never made me feel any better, multivitamins never made me feel better, I have a genetic predisposition to balding/thinning so the couple extra pounds creatine allowed me to add wasn't worth it, preworkout would hype me up but didn't actually allow me any more reps or sets, and the list goes on. I recommend vitamin D to almost everyone and zinc to every dude.

Don't cut out entire sets, just be strict with your rest periods. Are you doing more hypertrophy based work? Rest 30 seconds to 1:30 maximum. If you're doing db bench and resting for 1:30, you should have the weight in your hands at 1:20 getting ready to go again. Are you doing strength training? Rest 3-5 minutes with the same rules as before. If you're squatting and resting 3 minutes you should be under the bar at 2:50 getting ready to unrack it. If you have an absolutely amazing mind-muscle connection then maybe you could get away with doing a couple less reps, but doing only 1 set is almost pointless.

add some specific assistance. bent-over rows, 2x10 or 3x8, keep the bar in the air the whole time for time under tension. that'll help the upper back more.
most programs should already have pullups/chinups, if you're doing starting strength by the book (and not some internet meme version) they're in there.

body dysmorphia: the post
do both standing and seated calf raises with one leg doofas

Just got back from a week outside the country with a friend like 2 hours ago. Plane ride was 13 hours and I probably slept for 3-4 hours of it. I really want to go to the gym today but I'm nervous that I won't perform well due to being unable to track my diet and eating a lot of sweets.

Do I still go? Or take a day or two to fix up my diet?

i kinda enjoy 5x10km for mind relaxing purposes rather than being some racefag, but im thinking about buying one for over a year now to activate upper body more

If I'm doing 5x5, but on my last set I feel like I can do a sixth or maybe even seventh rep, can I keep going?

go if you want.
if you go and attempt a regular workout, don't worry if you don't perform normally and don't hold a subpar performance against yourself i.e. reset lifts because of.
or go and take 10% off all the weights you normally do and just enjoy the workout.

yes, just keep good form. when form breaks down, stop the set.
also consider that if you can do 4x5 + 1x7, you may try increasing the weight a bit more than scheduled for the next workout.
technically that's "messing with the program" but in all seriousness that 5x5 program is just a ripoff of starting strength anyways so ...

I got reasonably fit 5 years ago, but after slipping on a run and doing my wrist in I stopped lifting and eventually gave in. I basically got fat again.

Right now I've lost a bit of weight, but I'm nowhere near as slim, and haven't worked out as much I had before. So I'm confused as to why I can see something resembling abs just above my pot belly. I was never low enough body fat to have and before and I'm certainly not close now. So what am I seeing right below my ribcage?

Is creating an ab-specific workout a meme? I feel like my core gets worked enough from other compound lifts that no routine is necessary. Can see a 4-pack when flexed (currently bulking).

Eh, I'll probably hold off then. I need a day to kinda refuel on protein and get my legs back. I'll run before work tomorrow and hit the gym on Tuesday.

I think you'd likely benefit more from that than switching now. Maybe you should add in a few more sets for the upper body compound lifts and an extra accessory for each. That should bring in the upper body development you're looking for while also taking advantage of your current level of development.

yeah it means technique. Good form = doing the movement correctly.

"Waiting For The Worms" from The Wall? Great album.

any separation of lifts/bodyparts beyond upper/lower or powerlifting split is a meme
ppl is shit but at least push-legs-pull-off is somewhat workable if you don't try to do barbell-only
five-day split is firmly in memetier
abs only is beyond that

Why are squats tightening my lower back up so bad? After I finish a heavy squat session my lower back is so tight I can hardly walk right and have to sit for a few minutes before I can start my other lifts. I've been squatting every single time I train recently, and its been really improving my overall physique and strength, but my back is just getting so tight. My back is really straight when I squat, and my bud recorded me, and I know I'm not rounding at all.

tldr; What do to prevent lower back tightness when squatting?

Foam roll before/after squatting and do any kind of lower back warmup before you put yourself under the barbell.

It sounds like you're already tight, and you only realize it once you start squatting.

Can I make it with this shit? I hope the sum of the time is like 1 hour. I'm an unexercised meso if the science behind that still holds up

How the fuck do I get over anxiety

how to treat bicep tendinitis? I have a dull pain whenever i do a horizontal press right where my bicep meets my deltoid, pls someone help, ive been icing for about 1.5 weeks now

pic is my goal body, but I don't mind if it takes a bit longer to attain

Someone a week or so ago had a tendonitis related question. You have to be really careful because if you continuously aggravate it, you'll end up with microfractions and you won't lift for 6+ months.

You basically just need to let it rest, give a few weeks to calm down, and try again.

Been doing bar bell row on both my workout plans and doing 5x5 at 90kg.

What are bar bell rows working again? Idk

What are some unprocessed carbs that are calorie dense?
Potatoes and rice are kind of boring to eat in bulk.

What does FSL (First Set Last) mean? I read it on Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 routine and I couldn't figure out what it meant. Description please?

thanks user i shall begin waiting

the middle of my chest hurts like a bitch if i do weighted dips

am i going too deep? or too wide?

foam rolling is a meme
do the bfs straightleg dl aka "jefferson curls" 2x10 with no more than 1/3 of your best squat after each squat session

that's all bullshit
that workout, and the whole meso/ecto crap too
do the convict conditioning progressions, all six in a row, at whatever level you can, 3-4x weekly
or pirate a copy of us army fm 7-22 and do the basic training schedule of calisthenics in there
either one will use little to no equipment (pullup bar and space to workout) and take a half hour

fake it til you make it
if your force yourself through it, the second, third, etc. times you do something come more naturally

don't do wendler's ripoff shit. it's pathetic. literally pick any other beginner or intermediate strength program instead

fwiw "fsl" is how he compensated for putting together such a piss-poor routine that the main lift workout is only one hard set. after doing that one hard set, you go back to the weight of the first set, which is a glorified fucking warmup weight, and do a bunch more sets with that.

it's common. usually you get over it after having them in the program for a week or two.

I'm only doing 3/4 out of that workout at this point in time, it is what I intend to reach in a couple weeks, it did make my skinny boi arms adequately toned though

I think I shared your feel user, working out until it started hurting persistently made the pain wane after a bit, it's probably a muscle that tears much more easily

i've been doing them from months. they just absolutely destroy me. never feel the same pain with bench.

i had this problem too and had to deload. i deload and slowly add weight. it also help to take a deep breath and hold which alleviates the pain for me.

Do you have a barrel chest?

Couple of days ago I saw a video by Netherbrah. He was talking about his routines and he mentioned that he once did a really high rep routine to increase the amount of Myosatellite cells (or satellite cells) in his muscles. He was arguing that it benefited him when he switched back to heavy lifting since he had "more muscle cells"

I'm not really into this whole biology thing, so pls excuse if that question is retarded, but would it make sense to pursue a high rep routine for like ~ 1 month and then switch back to heavy lifts?

i wish.

Is the wrist roller any good for your forearms?

If you had a natural one like I did it may have been that the muscles were loose in there, idk what your problem is then, try to downsize and keep exercising that area and see if it strengthens. Should you give up consult a doctor.

i'm mostly confused as to what exactly is hurting

is it where the muscle connects to the sternum? the sternum itself? sometimes it'll hurt when i breathe. just making sure i'm not doing permanent damage

>hurts when I breathe

Mine went away quickly after stopping, disregard my last advice because you might have some sternum problems

Do it once and you'll know that it's good. There are a lot of great exercises for your forearms. However, you can do the wrist roller yourself relatively cheap. No need to buy an expensive one
youtube.com/watch?v=jJNIW9Bca40

Yes, sternum and you can get an chestburster scenario with dips. Afterwards you will never be able to train your upperbody.