twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Two times a day, 5 minutes after waking up and 10-15 minutes after working out

>Clicks catalog
>Hotkey find "LINK"
>0 results
how are your LINK gains going?
what is your routine?

youtube.com/watch?v=JTb2p_N5zbc

What exactly do you do in order to meditate? Like just sit down and focus on your breathing?

I use dynamic meditation practices. Chaotic breathing is really useful, as it oxygenates your blood.

This link describes how to do it: activemeditation.com/ActiveMeditations/DynamicStage1/Instructions1.html

I've been meditating for ~25 min each morning since the start of 2018

I use Binaural Beats and Box Breathing

My right leg always goes numb right around the twenty minute mark and I feel very sore/stiff from lifting sometimes which makes it difficult to relax.

Been noticing p good gains both in and outside my meditations so I will keep going. I do skip weekends sometimes if i'm hungover or crashing somewhere else.

Focusing breathing is no good in my mind. Read books about good living (any 'disattachment' philosophy is good for this, Buddhism, Stoicism, even something like the Jefferson Bible if you're Christian) and turn over what you read in your head over and over. As you think you will understand. Eventually you're begin to 'flow' through your knowledge. At a certain level of familiarity with meditation you stop thinking about meaning and start feeling it.

I understand the health benefits of breath control, but I meditate to bring my mind in order. Telling people they have to keep checks on their bodies as the meditate will bring them out of it, especially if they are novices.

You should read well before trying to start meditating, otherwise you're have nothing to meditate about. Just sitting there and breathing manually with an empty head does about as much good as sucking on a rock.

yes, just observe your breath and let your thoughts flow by

>how are your mental gains going?
usually daily , thanks for the reminder

this is one of my goto places for guided meditations
marc.ucla.edu/meditation-at-the-hammer
the headspace app is great too.

How do i meditate about certain Things like happiness instead of Just breathing?

New to meditation.
How much a day should I start with?
And increase time when?
I am pretty busy.

Any time. Meditation is not like exercise where it can only be done in certain places in certain ways with certain equipment. Any time you are sitting or pacing you pull back into your head. You could right now turn your chair about and run over whatever you want in your head. Think about God or kindness or purpose or anything.

So isolating myself from exterior interactions and thinking about peaceful things in my head is meditation?

google loving kindness meditation
i know there are some at
marc.ucla.edu/meditation-at-the-hammer

Seneca:
Let us give to the soul that peace which is afforded by constant meditation on wholesome instruction, by noble deeds, and a mind intent upon the desire for only what is honourable. Let us satisfy our conscience; for reputation let us strive not at all.

More from him:

"But the populace," you say, admires spirited action, and the bold are held in honour - while quiet people are considered ineffective." Perhaps so, at first sight. But when these have proved by the even tenor of their lives that they seek, not inaction, but peace of mind, that same public will reverence and respect them. Consequently this hideous and ruinous passion serves not a single useful end, but, on the contrary, evil of every sort, the sword, and flame. Trampling under foot every scruple, it stains the hands with murder, it scatters abroad the limbs of children, it suffers no place to be free from crime, with no thought of glory, with no fear of disgrace, it is incurable when once, from anger, it has hardened into hate. Let us be freed from this evil, let us clear it from our minds and tear it up by the roots, for if there should linger the smallest traces, it will grow again; and let us not try to regulate our anger, but be rid of it altogether - for what regulation can there be of any evil thing?

and:

Moreover, we can do it, if only we shall make the effort. And nothing will help us so much as pondering our mortality. Let each man say to himself and to his fellow-mortal: "Why do we, as if born to live for ever, take delight in proclaiming our wrath and in wasting the little span of life? Why do we delight to employ for somebody's distress and torture the days that we might devote to virtuous pleasure? Your fortunes admit no squandering and you have no spare time to waste. Why do we rush into the fray? Why do we invite trouble for ourselves? Why do we, forgetting our weakness, take up the huge burden of hate, and, easily broken as we are, rise up to break?

I have to keep myself from quoting all of it, but if you want something excellent to meditate on read Seneca's "On Anger" (De Ira)

It can be found here for free: en.wikisource.org/wiki/Of_Anger

You can sit and think, and it's a good practice, but it's not meditation like I would interpret the word.
Instructions to meditate:
Sit comfortably. Breath in and out comfortably. If you notice you are thinking about something other than breathing then say to yourself 'thinking' and go back to breathing.
Why you'd want to:
Like other anons said, ordering your mind is good, but won't happen by feeding already chaotic thoughts. Through meditation you learn to control your focus, and you learn the process by which you become distracted and start to think. You also get to note the common paths your mind takes and where they lead by continually resetting your mind and seeing what it does.

I've tried it some times but it has little to no advantages. You just sit there with an empty mind which isn't any helpful by itself. You can have your brain in relaxed state by doing things.

I've only seen memes surrounding meditation and nothing beneficial, if you have a very stressful life I guess it's good to forcefully take a moment to relax but for me that I have periods of using my brain in different intense followed by relaxation, in the sense that I have a balanced mental life, mediation is just a waste of time.

What some of you faggots describe as important effects of meditation is literally sleep and it's essential to everybody's life.
>inb4 dude spiritualism lmao
People with high spiritualism exist like genius exist, they are the top of the top, and I imagine meditation for them is nothing more that taking a step back and letting their thoughts flow.

you might be right in a way
meditation helped lower my stress and worry
but everyone has stress in their life so i believe that it would have benefits for all

Meditating for 'mental gains' is completely missing the point of meditation.

But you're not gonna listen to a stranger on a message board so keep going bros

>routine
doing loving kindness guided meditation by tara brach in the mornings, and doing hourly micro meditations, that are just wishing for someone's happyness for about 10~20 seconds.
>gains
the hourly stuff really helps keep the flow state throughout the day. since i started this routine, everything is a bit lighter, and i found that i can actually have a mental break from the chatter that keeps going in my head.

pic related has some instruction, but i sugest going for books on the subject to start.
Some authors that i've read that i liked, whose instructions made the practice a bit more clear:
Tharthang Tulku (many books)
thich nhat hanh (many books)
Shunryu Suzuki (Zen Mind, Beginners Mind)
Eugene Herrigel (Zen Art of Archery)

It's not the best mindset for the long term, but that's something that comes with practice.

its like emptying the recycle bin in your head, it gets very filled up after a long time

I would meditate but I am unflexible and can't cross my legs.. any tips?

it's what makes people want to meditate, what brings them to the practice, but good practice will make people see that its not the correct mindset. At least thats what i've read on it.

meditation is for distracting yourself from the stress of not being in the company of hot women, and going into deep thought circles to try and erase this blatant fact from existence instead of trying to meet them

sitting on a chair, or lying on the floor are possibilities.

i meditate in bed
and while walking

Finally realised what I've needed to do to get rid of my anxiety which is slow the racing thoughts and inner monologue that's always running in the back of my head, usually subconsciously, been trying to meditate twice a day but I can't do it for more than 5 minutes without balling my eyes out, not really sure why, I think its just because of how difficult and stressful it is for me recognizing my racing thoughts and trying to combat them, anyone else been through this?
anyone got experiences with anxiety depression and meditation

>anyone else been through this?
yes , i dont know why but sometimes while meditating i cry . i dont feel sad or anything .

great vid , one of my faves
youtube.com/watch?v=kaNO09cPS6c

thich nhat hanh , he is cool too
youtube.com/watch?v=Ijnt-eXukwk

It's not only about reducing stress. You can also use meditation to identify problems within you which hold you back in different aspects of your life. Or you can even 'brainwash' yourself to become more disciplined, persistent etc.
Very useful in general.

wow most of this is really unhelpfull and misguided

Jusr focus on the area under the nose above the upper lip and feel the touch of the breath, touch of the breath as you breath in and out
This is called anapana meditation and will hone your attention or mind

>Or you can even 'brainwash' yourself to become more disciplined
how do i brainwash myself ?

This

plz respond

I have phone app that reminds me daily at the same time, it also has relaxing background music and newbie instructions

I seem to meditate differently. Though ive had no proper training so maybe I'm doing it wrong. I started by just concentrating on breathing. I do feel like I enter some sort of Zen state when I do it, but its like being in the eye of the storm and I can feel the storm raging around me, and it makes me feel incredibly powerful and dominating. I'm very reserved normally though. Is it just me being a weirdo or what? Am i doing something wrong, or is it the same for others? I don't meditate nearly as often as I should, so maybe its just a step on the way to Zen meditation?

Shoo shoo stinky linkie

>I started by just concentrating on breathing.
that is meditation , body and mind as one
>makes me feel incredibly powerful and dominating.
>it the same for others?
ive not had that exp from meditation , sounds good tho.
> so maybe its just a step on the way to Zen meditation?
godspeed user . do some reading or watch the youtubes .

Nah, youre just autistic

Read 'As a Man Thinketh' it's a 20 or so page self help booklet from the early 20th century, easy to find on google as pdf. Read it, then read it again. Start applying the concepts talked about in the book in daily life and especially while meditating.
What I do is, I sit down to meditate, focus on my breathing until I'm calm and focused, then I start applying the concepts/phrases/key points from the book until I'm satisfied, after that I finish up by again focusing on my breath to let it really sink in.
I always go by feel as to how long each segment takes, typically a session ends up being ~30 minutes long. But even three minutes is good in the beginning. Just like with lifting, slowly increase the time so you don't quit because it's too boring or something. Be consistent.
I used to do it every session, now I meditate more traditionally so to speak and do my 'brainwashing' session once a week or so.
I realise most people don't do it this way, but it helped me a great deal personally. Good luck.

thanks user

No problem. Another user pointed me to that book a year ago. Only paying it forward.