Firefighting

What does Veeky Forums think of fire fighting?
Looks like a comfy job waiting for fires

It's awesome, too bad its fucking impossible to get in anywhere

how do I become one?
really?

I remember when I was thinking of job prospects I researched and looked into becoming a firefighter, a few days in I stopped after remembering fires are one of my biggest fears in life.

Depends where you live I guess.

California, terrible chance. SoCal, no chance.

My friend got in pretty easy because he was a volunteer fire fighter for a while you might want to try there

I was a federal fire fighter in the Navy.

I should have never quit.

If you live in a union state you pretty much have to know someone in the union to get in.

The main reason I want to be one is just because using my lack of fear to help people with fear sounds cool

Been a FF/EMT for 3 years, smallish city, combination department (fire/ems). Engine/Truck shifts are 11/10 based, 24 hours of hanging out/training with fellow chads.
Ambulance shifts are generally not terrible, but frequent calls at night can completely fuck your sleep and recovery. Wouldn't want any other career, but would rather have got on with a larger city, most are fire-only.
As said, it's fucking impossible to get in to larger cities especially (unless you're female/fill a quota).

Vets generally get 5-10 points on most civil service tests, and your experience will be a huge benefit for oral boards. Very well might have to search further afield than your state if you're on the East Coast.

How are the chances in the state of Washington?

best way is volunteering, most small towns are happy to have some help, I'm a cannuck but even here hundreds take firefighting as a college course and end up jobless because theres not much room to get in. I also have a friend who skipped the school and is one now because he volunteered and spent years working with them and when he applied the chief saw his name and just hired on the spot. Hell my father works as an aircraft technician but started volunteering and after a half decade he's the training officer for our town.

Basically take time out of life and help them and get in the training even if you arent paid for it and eventually they let you into the cool kids club.

My goal is basically to be Police where i live though. I was tempted to be EMT but I found I would carry too much guilt from that.

Are you looking at Seattle/Tacoma or somewhere smaller? Smaller departments will generally have 10s-100s competing for each spot, larger metro 100s-1000s. Try searching firehouse forum for info on particular departments.

I already live in a somewhat small city, but I'm thinking of moving to Seattle.
What's some stuff I can do to guarantee that I can get a job as a firefighter?

would like to volunteer
but i need money

get your emt cert, easy stuff

keep up your fitness, a lot of cardio and endurance

if you can, try to get into an academy. They like having guys already with their certs

Getting your Paramedic is by far the best way to narrow your competition. Many departments on the west coast (CA especially) are requiring it for hire now. Keep in mind, combination departments will be 80% medical calls, 15% car wrecks, and 5% fires. Make sure you love EMS before committing to your medic, otherwise you'll hate it. It's definitely possible to get on with Fire-only (not sure how WA departments are), but as mentioned earlier it helps immensely to know the Chief/upper ranks.

Firefighters
>muh thin red line because we're butthurt about how much respect we get relative to police
>muh sit on my ass at the station 75% of the time
>muh job is so hard and I put my life on the line and you should worship me even though there's literally lines of people hoping to get a job as a firefigher
They are the soyboys of emergency services.

guess I'll try volunteering then since I've got nothing else going on, thanks anons

EMT-B is a good point, most departments require it outright, and you won't get away without having it. Fire certs will probably help, but most departments with their own training branch will put you through their own academy in order to teach you their methods - some departments seem to actually dislike people who have certs/career experience, as they have to be re-trained.

Go away transport medic. We know you're underpaid.

Hate firefighters bc my dad was a cop and he always told me firefighters got paid to sit on their ass and play videogames

Funny, I actually considered going Paramedic with my GI bill, but saw how shitty the pay was, I went nursing instead.

That's one of the reasons I want to be a firefigthter

Med student here, just finished rotation wth the fire department in one of the biggest cities in the nation. Can confirm they do shit, watch Eddie Murphy movies and eat waffles all day, take the firetruck out to chauffeur old ladies to the hospital, bitch about not being any fires. Was on the rescue unit a couple days and had zeros calls in 48hrs. Most are fat shits. I wandered off one morning and found then (dusty) weight room and the nigger clique of firemen came in later to watch "how high" and make jokes about "docs working out in the tv room". All bitched about their pensions and overtime pay. Took 2 hours at the grocery store every day, drove across town to the one with the hottest milfs. Get paid to nap and straight up sleep a lot. That said, great bunch of guys and I'm mostly just jealous I have to actually work for a living.

lets keep this thread going

other than traffic violations grinding your gears,
only a complete fucking degenerate would dislike the police.
you can't live your life without smoking drugs, stealing, or hurting other people?
kys

lots of people don't do any of that shit and still get their balls busted by the police

I am a volunteer FF right now, our dept runs Fire and EMS. If you want to go career, you will have to look at the deptartments in your area and what they want. Where I live the city requires you live in the city limits at least 1 year prior to being hired, and even then it’s very tough to get in if you’re not a minority. You might have to move if you want to be one, so I would do more research on other departments too. I am going for Law Enforcement but like doing fire, even if you don’t go career I recommend volunteering. I am still considering switching and pursuing Fire but that means I would have to get a city address soon and I am not ready for that yet, and LE appeals to me more. Definitely research it, although fire and LE are both great fulfilling careers (I personally don’t like EMS)

Just about to finish my EMT cert.

I'm fucking nervous im gonna mess up my first couple times working on patients

If you practice enough you will be fine, I was surrounded by experiences EMTs at my hall though so I had another advantage starting out. Just gotta remain cool and collected

Strongly considering this extremely chad profession...

I've wanted to be an LEO for a couple years but in questioning it more as it sounds like a lot of handing out traffic tickets and telling virgin mike and his cohort to hand over their weed.

Firefighting seems so cool because you basically step in the face of death and say "fuck off cunt" and then save the person's life. Doesn't matter if they're black or white, virgin or chad.

My family's house burned down when I was 14. I get that they don't want unnecessary risks and there's a science behind structures that are on fire, but it was a bunch of 40-50 year old bear guts that pretty much stood around grab-assing while our pets burned alive. I honestly don't know what they were even there to do, because they did literally nothing. The EMS people came and checked us out, but that was about it.

Fire-based EMS systems are a whole discussion. It's a shitshow FOR THE MOST PART

I got my bachelors degree in Extra-Hospitalary Emergencies a year ago, dropped it because my country went to shit so I had to leave (don't worry you cunts, I'm a spic and I remained in Spicland, just moved to a different shithole). All in all there's no need to be nervous, the very first time I got in an ambulance we had to pick up a broken leg with internal hemorrhage (the femoral was involved), of course, this would freak the everloving shit out of me but when it happens you rarely give a fuck, you're just there, the experienced guy tells you what to do, you do you job and try (and most likely fail) to remember your training, only real experience will teach you how to act so no one expects you to know jackshit when first getting in there. You'll do well, for what's it worth, you have my word it'll be alright.

About the thread itself, all in all it's hard, I was a neet until I decided to join as a volunteer in a small town's fire dept (shit was a two and half hour drive from my place but no one else would take a loser with no cv), I mean, I could spend my days working out and playing Dwarf Fortress on my 2007 laptop, or I could try and do something, anything, to feel like I wasn't nothing. One thing led to another, I joined a shitty community college that offered the EMT course, 3 years and it was also two and half hours away from home, just in another direction. Long story short, it changed me, I fought both forest and urban fires, I rescued an old lady from a river animu style, I performed CPR on several people and I'd like to think that helped save their lives, I tended to rioting kids trying to fight a dictatorship, and I held a newborn while she died... At 25 I'd like to think I'm finally starting to be a man and it's thanks to this, so yeah mates, go ahead and give it a shot even if it's only as volunteers, I'd kill to be able to go back to it, but now I'm a fucking immigrant struggling and drawing cartoons just to be able to pay my room's rent.

I rotated at a few firehouses while getting my EMT-B certification. It seems like a great job -- if it wasn't so hard to get in I definitely would have pursued it further.

don't let the thread die

he a good boy
he dindu nuffin

Serving LONDON firefighter here, wouldn't give this job up for love nor money. Love this shit.

Can guarantee you that you'll never feel as alpha in your life as when you're running into the place that every other fucker is running away from. Gives you a practical reason to keep your fitness and strength up - pulled an old boy out of a fire few months back and the feeling of walking out of a house fire wearing full BA with a casualty on your shoulder is indescribable.

We don't do EMT shit either yet, so none of that babysitting drug addicts and piss heads the ambulance service has to deal with.

As a firefighter, I think firefighting is some good shit. It's just a shame that we'll probably be outmoded by machines once bariatric rescues become common enough that crews of us simply aren't enough.

corrections move to be firefighters, municipal and above LEO would not move to fire in America. OP's pic was kind of funny. I carry a .45 , mandatory to confiscate guns in a domestic violence situation with visible signs of struggle etc etc.....all are the same said and done except cops do more work which you may or may not want to do depending on who you are.

>really?

High paying government job anyone can do with an absurdly good pension plan, insurance and respect for the job considering you save people and their shit

>carries tiny 9mm
I thought burgerstan bolice could carry whatever handgun they like, as long as it's approved?

In south aus I'm pretty sure the pigs carry S&W MPs in .40 Short and Weak.

generic gun, most departments go with what the better contract is. Bigger caliber = more flesh displacement for sure. 45 or nothing desu for on duty full size

Ive started working out so I can try to become a Firefighter
I feel like that would be a job Id actually give a shit about

>anyone can do
Horse shit, 90% of the population doesn't have the physical fitness ability to get onto a big city fire department. Those dudes, unless they've been in for a long time and are old, are typically huge, jacked, and in the best shape of their lives.

Just get a good brand of hollowpoint and get a shitload of practice with quick, accurate shot placement. Much more reliable than hoping your bigger bullets hit something important and make your target bleed out a little quicker.