How do powerlifters arch their backs so much?? Jesus

How do powerlifters arch their backs so much?? Jesus

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BczdLDjHNGD/
exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBBenchPress.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Gvepqm1NrJI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

To lift more weight with less ROM and more stability.

Sorry I thought you said why, not how.
Improve your throacic extension and hip mobility. Do shoulder dislocations and that thing where you lie with your upper back on a foam roller, hold a 5kg plate with your kept hands straight and move it up and down and try to touch the floor with it behind your head.

That's a correct way to arch your back during bench press though. Allows to lift more weight with proper form, which allows more strength gains and better competition results.

>that
>a big arch

Hahahahahahahaha you are a little weakling.

Watch this

>Owen hubbard

you suck

OH NONONONO

Still not learning are you Isley?

WAIT TIL YOU SEE HAHAHAHA

VERY fast isley running at incredible hihg speed

God Isley did you ever manage to perform a simple dead lift without embarrassing yourself?

Meh! I've failed better and more recently too.

instagram.com/p/BczdLDjHNGD/

Yes, obviously

T. 312.5kg deadlifter.

isley.. isley.. isley..

>proper form
exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBBenchPress.html

educate yourselves peasants.powerlifters only arch because it allows them to bend the rules and lift more weight because of the reduced range of motion. outside powerlifting competition it is BAD FORM and also bad for gains.

Wrong. It's bad for hypertrophy but good for strength training, which is what I said.

how is reducing range of motion good for strength gains? literally every serious trainer/physiotherapist agrees full ROM is essential for optimal muscle strength.

should pull his shoulder blades back and down

You're wrong. It allows you to handle more weight, good for strength gains and keeps your scapula depressed and retracted, which is good for shoulder health. A sight arch should be part of everybody's bench press.

is that a bigger, less deformed supermong on the poster behind you (far right)?

>A sight arch
i suppose you mean slight.does this look like a 'slight' arch to you user??

That person is probably arching as hard as they can, but it's not big by any means.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gvepqm1NrJI

y'all making a fool of yourselves

>it's bad for hypertrophy but good for strength training

Correction: it's bad for hypertrophy and strength training, but it's good or ego lifting and lifting more weight without actually getting stronger by changing the mechanics of the movement.

>14 year old decline presses 310lbs

this

That's equipped you dingus.

>reducing range of motion and potential muscle stimulus and having to do more overall sets/reps in order to compensate is good for strength training

Maybe if you want to maximize the weight on the bar for competition purposes, but in terms of actual muscle torque and objective strength you are making each and every rep less stimulating to your musculature.

You change the mechanics because the bench press is an unnatural exercise. It's not a squat, OHP or DL where your body is allowed to move freely. Your body isn't built to lie on a bench and press something heavy upwards.
But keep on doing your thing, you'll become yet another one of those 35+ year old guys who doesn't bench because of "muh shoulder".

*hurts lower back benching*
hol up
*fucks up wrists with max legal grip*
so u be sayin
*strains front delts and pecs stretching the chest too much under load with a very wide grip*
dat this is safer than
*regurgitates delusions about how doing yoga on a bench while pressing a heavy weight is safer than just pressing a heavy weight*
a regular grip and neutral back position n shieet?

you are trying to have a rational discussion with apes

>your body isn't built to lie on a bench and press something heavy upwards
Then why are you benching?
Then why are you cheating as much as possible in order to lift even heavier weights on a bench?

See how this retarded argumentation makes no sense? Arching has no place outside of powerlifitng competitions, it's impossible to hurt yourself pressing a heavy weight on a bench press unless you literally drop it on you or are using a meme grip like bench archers like to use.

t. weak little faggot with a shit bench press

anyone who criticises arching is outing themselves as a dyel newfag. arching puts your shoulders in a safe position. do you know whats bad for chest hypertrophy? having shoulder impingement or a torn rotator cuff

t. 0 arguments

Do you know who's more likely to have shoulder impingement? Retards who try to cheat on their form and lift the heaviest weight possibly, aka arch like a mother fucker, widen the grip as much as possible.

If you have a moderate grip it is impossible to fuck your shoulders while pushing a weight right in front of you.

its actually the other way around since yu will flare your elbows so much that you stress your shoulders... Proper form load your triceps more.

your being too stupid to read =/= no arguments. try again, weak little faggot with a shit bench press

arching the back and pushing your chest higher than normal literally stretches your shoulder and chest joint more, which makes it more vulnerable to injury since you are loading it maximally on a bench press.

Add to that a very wide grip and you are maximally stretching your pecs and front delts while loading is present, which is incredibly dangerous.

A moderate bench grip or even close grip is much safer even though the range of motion is longer, because your muscles aren't stretched to their maximum ability while being loaded.

literally incorrect. but by all means, continue benching 80kg with shitty form, getting no gains and eventually injuring yourself. I will bench 3pl8 and have thicc tiddies

It's easy to insult people online instead of presenting valid arguments.
You're most likely a weak faggot larping on an anonymous imageboard as benchad maximus.

Unless you're an actual competitive elite powerlifter you have no business using a bench arch, that's the truth.

>opposite of true
>some what true but has nothing to do with arching
>true
overall youre retarded

Do a meme arch and meme grip, do a bunch of reps with just 2 plates.
Rest a bit
Do a normal bench press, do a bunch of reps with just 2 plates.
See the difference in the stretch you get, be honest with yourself and admit that the first one stresses your shoulder/pec join way more.

wtf is going on with anti intellectualism of Veeky Forums recently. people actively agruing against the use of anything remotely technical

no it doesnt. if it does for you youre doing it wrong

I mean, if you want to inflict more torque on your shoulders and front delts more, go ahead. I'll stick to arching.

youre adding an additional variable (wide grip) whcih does put more stress on the shoulder to make it sound like arching puts stress on the shoulder. no one said a non-powerlifter should use max grip or that its good for hypertrophy

Well, I mistyped that. Meant: "...and work front delts more..."

>it works for me xD
Except you are by default stretching your pecs way more by merely using a back arch, it's something you cannot avoid.
Using a meme grip makes it even worse, and it's actually what fucks people's shoulders/pecs on the bench press.
I have literally never seen anyone fuck their shoulders or pecs using a close grip, and when you look at it objectively there is no reason as to why a neutral back and a close grip should be any more dangerous than a meme grip and arch.

Back arch by default stretches your pecs way more under a load, which is in itself more dangerous.
A meme grip is usually added in by people who do meme arches because arches make the start of the lift(hardest portion of wide grip bench presses) much shorter in duration and distance, in some cases virtually removing it entirely.

are you fucking retarded. more stress on the pec is beneficial to chest hypertrophy and an arch puts LESS stress on the shoulder

and stop bringing up wide grip. literally no one has said non powerlifters should grip wide

normal people shoul darch with a moderate grip

I think it's something to do with thinking for yourself instead of following dogma and using "oh this person said this is better and everyone else doesn't know what they're talking about" sheep mentality.

stretching the pec is in no way dangerous. youve dropped the shoulder argument entirely so I assume you know its retarded

arch and grip arent a package. no one is forcing you to grip wide. this has to be bait. Im not responding anymore

Normal people shouldn't arch at all, as there is no actual need for it.
Are you gonna tell me arching a on a bench press with your coccyx pressuring against a bench while pressing maximal weights while your chest is more stretched than it would be on a neutral back bench press is natural now or something?

it is more natural than benching flat. both are un natural

I D I O T

Except arch itself makes the bench press more dangerous, only retards who follow meme benchers online follow this notion without actually thinking it through.
Arching literally stretches your chest more even though range of motion is shorter due to how high you place your chest and what angle it is placed at.

Stretching a muscle more under maximal loading is more dangerous than not.

Well you're actually wrong, maybe kill yourself?

I put my mad paint skills to work here.

Tell me why or how I'm wrong instead of posting like a child please.
An arch literally stretches your pecs more so than a neutral back on a bench. Loading a muscle while it is stretched as much as possible is what's causing injuries, it's what causes bicep tears, pec tears, shoulder issues, hamstring tears, etc.

Except this doesn't take into account the actual degree and difference of the stretching of the pecs in both instances at all, are you retarded?

Dude look at any book on how to do bench snd it will tell to use a Moderate arch. I'm not going to hold your hand, this argument has been had a million times and you need to actually do some research.

I'm not talking about stretch at all but that's an easy confusion as it is an anonymous board after all. Just made this picture as it's hard to explain the concept with just words.

How the fuck do you propose that the pec is stretched more when the angle of the humerus cannot be as sever with an arch as it is with no arch? Your pecs can't stretch as much because you don't move as much.

Anyone respectable in exercise science will tell you to arch in the benchpress.
Obviously you don't need as much of an arch as a Powerlifter.

Now, most Powerlifter who bench above 400 can actually bench at least very high 300s completely flat.
I know you want to look for an excuse that you are stuck at 200, but their arch is not the excuse, sorry.

Not arching back puts more stress on front delts though. Do you think it's wise to put these loads on such a small muscle?

It's not trying to show that it's superior for muscle activation but rather it's less stress and sheer force on the shoulders.

Define "moderate arch" in the first place.
And define "any book".
Are you talking about exercise physiology books or books made for powerlifting or strength training for athletes?
Starting strength has back arching instructions on the bench press but they are very very mild in comparison to that of what online meme archers use, same for grip.

ISLEE ISLEE ISLEE

STRETCHING THE PEC IS NOT FUCKING DANGEROUS ITS THE POINT OF FUCKING BENCH PRESS

HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU ASK TO BE PROVEN WRONG WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN MULTIPLE TIMES, WHILST YOU HAVEW GIVEN NO LIGITIMATE REASON BEHIND WHAT YOURE SAYING

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE KYS

>arching at all
This is how you look to the rest of us

>people in a competitive sport do things to an extreme degree therefor I should disregard common sense
wow
>bringing up grip width again even tho its 0% relevant
wow

o-ok

I would rather stress a muscle that isn't even fully stretched than stress a joint that's connected to a fan shaped muscle that's being completely stretched.
Pecs are by far the main movers in any bench press variation even close grip bench.

By the mere fact that your chest is higher and in angle that stretches it even more considering the nature of the movement itself?
A decline bench press stretches your chest more than a flat neutral back bench press even though the bar doesn't lower as much.

you look dyel to people who actually know what theyre doing

>is the purpose of the bench to stress the pec
yes
>are pec injuries common
no
>are shoulder injuries common
yes very
>does arching prevent shoulder injury
yes absolutely
>does arching stress the pec more, thus making the bench better
yes

wew

>people in a competitive sport do things to an extreme degree therefor I should disregard common sense
Is that what you're doing or what I'm doing?
I'm literally saying you shouldn't do meme arches just because elite competitive powerlifters are doing it, and claiming they are "safer" is objectively wrong.

You can arch as much as you want, just don't claim it is safer because it is not.
In my eyes if you have a very mild arch you shouldn't even worry about it, but people spread this notion that arching is better which leads to people overdoing it and getting reckless.
Get tight on the bench, pull your shoulders back and down, your back is technically already arched, no further need to do anything else.

>not cheating means im dyel
Do you kip as well?

>the purpose of the bench is to stretch the pec
The purpose of the bench is to lie on it.
The issue comes with loading the bench press maximally while stretching your muscles and joints as much as possible, and an arch makes it worse for your pecs.
How can you even spin this around?
>does arching prevent shoulder injury
Then why do so many meme archers have "layoffs" and end up with fucked up pecs and shoulders?

arch is objectively safer for shoulders, which is the #1 reason normies hurt themselves on bench

almost no one is going tro tear a pec on bench ever. you have to lift alot of weight or be basically disabled for this to happen

also nice back track going from
>arch is bad guys
to
>a-arching is good, but dont do it as much a-as a powerlifter
also powerlifters have bigger pecs than you, bench more than you and have less shoulder injuries than you

Your pectoral originates on the sternum and attached at the humerus. With an arch your going to be touching your chest with your humerus at a less severe angle than if you touched your chest with no arch.

No back tracking at all, you seem a bit to eager on your little powertrip for some reason.
Back arched bench presses are not safer than neutral back bench presses, you're being desingenuous claiming I am against any degree of arching when it's almost impossible to avoid it since a neutral spine on a bench press already entails a degree of back arch on the bench press.

>arch is objectively safer for shoulders, which is the #1 reason normies hurt themselves on bench
No, normies hurt themselves benching too much in general and doing retarded neck/clavicle level bench presses with wide grips.

they literally dont. shoulder injury rates are much lower for powerlifters for normies. its almost as if they compete in it and have perfected technique in it over decades huh?

arch stresses joints much less. your pecs are not going top tear from a sub 4pl8 bench you fag. stressing the pec is literally the point of bench. how can you spin lifting weights to being providing as little stimulus to the muscle you want to grow?

bait

>Then why do so many meme archers have "layoffs" and end up with fucked up pecs and shoulders?
Benching 80+% of your 1RM for multiple sets and reps and multiple times a week comes with a certain danger. And you can't seriously tell me normies who bench normally get fewer shoulder injuries. That along with the back is the most common injury I hear about in the gym.

>GBR

Fuck I thought you were sperging from Ausland for some reason.

>Back arched bench presses are not safer than neutral back bench presses

it literally is. it is safer for your shoulder

>they literally dont. shoulder injury rates are much lower for powerlifters for normies. its almost as if they compete in it and have perfected technique in it over decades huh?
Yeah it's almost as if they avoid dropping the bar on their clavicles with a wide gripwhich is actually what causes shoulder issues.
It's almost as if powerlifters actually drop the bar lower on the chest unlike normies.

he has duel citizenship and has competed for both

It's the opposite for me, with PL form the weight is literally holding your shoulders back, whereas if I try to do it with no lower body drive my shoulders will invariably start to push alongside the pecs because they exhaust at different rates.
My longtime shoulder pain disappeared when I crossed over to meme form.

i dont powerlift but i can bend my back much more, lumbar lordosis my friend

>And you can't seriously tell me normies who bench normally get fewer shoulder injuries.
Be honest, when did you ever see a normie benching "normally" injuring himself?

The only normies I see injuring themselves on bench do it way too much with too much volume with retarded form usually dropping the bar on their fucking clavicles with retarded wide grips "because it works the chest more bro".

Fucking snake geddoutta muh cuntree

again trying to bring in other factors. youre wrong. an arch puts the shoulder joint in a less stressed position. this is inarguable fact

One of my buddies who's doing a normie split just had a shoulder injury a couple of months ago and another dude I knew from school who lifts in the same gym as I has probably permanent shoulder issues, a dude I know who plays hockey is recovering from a shoulder injury right now. Bench is part of their training routine. It happens quite a lot and if you don't notice it you probably don't talk a lot to people in your gym.

Honestly not even mad, glad you're dealing with it better.
For me personally I injured my left pec/shoulder seriously for a few weeks after changing my technique to max legal grip and adding more of an arch, first serious injury I ever had. Technically my form was good, the joint just couldn't take it.
inb4 genetic deadend.
For some reason I am far more powerful with a narrow grip anyway.

an arch allows you to lift more weight, with higher volume, causes more chest hypertrophy and causes less shoulder injury and youre still trying to argue against it

you are the one using imaginary examples of people who supposedly hurt themselves BECAUSE and only because of their lack of back arch when you know very well that is not the case.

your injury was 100% due to max legal grip and now youre salty about arch. exposed tb h

>only
I never said only, I said we are talking about one specific one currently

Heavy benching without some degree of arching is fucking terrible for your shoulders. Nobody ITT arguing against arching will be able to post a video of themselves benching more than 3pl8, because saying 'arching iz bad hurr' is a great way to instantly out yourself as dyel.

>try something for myself to see if it works
>it doesn't
>claim it doesn't work
"WOW YOU'RE JUST SALTY BECAUSE IT DIDN'T WORK EXPOSED"

Yeah, because I actually try things before talking shit about them, what's wrong with that?
Adds to my previous point of not following stupid online dogma concerning what's "best form" when it can quite literally hurt you despite "working for them".