/fast/ #106 Asylum Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERE'S WHY YOU AREN'T ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FCRfnfjpDOU
pmj.bmj.com/content/postgradmedj/49/569/203.full.pdf
medicinenet.com/gynecomastia/article.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=VUsRld1K8Eo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what are your opinions on weight lifting while in a fasted state?

also, capsules break fasts right? i've been taking yohimbine before my workouts but I guess I should stop because they break the fast

if less than 36 hours fast and you plan to eat after go for it.

Depends on how fit you already are and how long you're fasting for. If you're not very fit and fasting for a longer time (most people in this thread I would guess) you can probably only handle LISS.
Even if you are in very good shape you can't lift heavy on long fasts since you're not taking in any protein for repair.

>capsules break fasts right?
Perhaps technically, but I do a ketone test every day and I see no break or even noticeable diminishment in my level of ketosis.

My daily dose.

Vitamins and Supplements:
=========================
4 x Multi-vitamins + iron tablets
Vitamin B Complex tablet
2 x 550mg Cod Liver Oil tablet
Glucosamine Sulphate 500mg & Vitamin C 12mg tablet
Calcium + Magnesium tablet

If I run around all day and don't eat, will I be able to burn more fat or does it become 'aerobic' exercise and stop me from burning fat?

Yes, because CICO still applies, but ketosis is not like the normal cycle of energy production so you need to make sure you don't overdo it and burn the supply of ketones in your bloodstream faster than your body is burning fat to feed you.

Not sure what an "excessive" level would be though as everybody is different. Just be careful not to exhaust yourself.

Lost 90lbs so far. Starting fast tomorrow to finish it off

aerobic exercise means you are burning fat. anaerobic means you are burning glucose.

Day 1 almost over boys. Only started to become hungry in the past hour or so. I'm going to be a ripped god before spring break

Snekman updated his maintenance routine.
youtu.be/FCRfnfjpDOU
5:2, 2:22 is fucking DONE

>not hungry at all
>intense urge to snack
What the fuck is this shit? I've never gotten these sorts of cravings before.

>fasted and lost weight
>still got gyno

Wtf I thought you guys said this shit was magic

Idk if y’all have seen this, but here’s an article you might like
pmj.bmj.com/content/postgradmedj/49/569/203.full.pdf

Guy fasted for over a year and went from about 450 pounds to 180 and is now able to maintain around 190.

Had a headache today and drinking a bunch of water and dry sauna cured it.

Rate my shit

My week:
Surf if there's surf
Sprints on the beach

Tuesday (fasted)
Relax

Wednesday (lunch and dinner)
Sprints on the beach
Reverse pyramid, low reps, 3 sets.
Monday (fasted)
Bench
Shoulders (front/side with 10# plates)
Squat
Military press
Leg lifts
Triceps behind head

Thursday (fasted)
Relax

Friday (fasted)
Relax

Saturday (one meal - dinner)
Squats
Shrugs
Rows
RDL
Flys
Curls
More squats

Sunday (two meals)
Relax

>Wtf I thought you guys said this shit was magic
Severe mantits are one of the harder things to shift, but they will go in time. It's fat and once the body gets around to it then it will gobble that shit up.

Gyno is not fat, it's breast tissue. Only way to get rid of it is surgery.

>Had a headache today and drinking a bunch of water and dry sauna cured it.

As I've said previously, a lot of people don't seem to realise the amount of water that we get from food, so when you are fasting you need to adjust this by drinking as much water as possible, certainly 1.5litres of fresh water per day (excluding snake juice)

If your piss is yellow or god forbid orange then you are dehydrated.

The vast majority of headaches and backpain (even when NOT fasting) are caused by dehydration. Drink a litre of water and within an hour it will have dissipated.

I've done some 24 then worked up to 48s. Don't lose hope if you give in and eat. Reevaluate and the next rounds will get easier and easier.

It's all in the mind.

I had a tuna bagel with a bit of mayo and cream cheese on Sunday. My weight hasn't shifted in about 4 days. Where did I go wrong?

>Gyno is not fat, it's breast tissue. Only way to get rid of it is surgery.

Utter. Fucking. Bullshit.

Plenty of guys here have struggled with gyno, but get down to a low enough body fat % and ketosis will eat that shit up.

Admittedly, some have had to resort to regular 48hr dry fasts to finish the job, but it's no different than anything else.

Saying guys need to go under the knife to get rid of it is just fucking sadism. What are you? Some fucking shill for the pharmo-medical industry.

Just because you can't make a few shekels out of flogging drugs or medical procedures don't come here spouting your bullshit negativity.

>bagel
you dropped out of keto, that's what

Can I still take men's one a day while fasting? It says I should take it with food :/

I starved myself for 12 hours then went to an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet and I gained 2 kg, what went wrong?

>It says I should take it with food
Because half the vitamins in it are fat soluble.

You might want to read up on a subject before talking about it.
medicinenet.com/gynecomastia/article.htm

But is it safe?

*sigh*

Most mantits aren't gyno, but even if you are fat enough to have them it is caused by the estrogen produced by your fat, so as you lose that fat the estrogen reduces and fasting eats up the remaining tissue since they are basically fat.

>N-n-not all mantits are gyno
Obviously, so stop using the two as synonyms.
>I-i-if you lose weight t-the gyno will g-go away because h-hormone levels will c-change
Yeah, that's why trannies don't have to have their tits cut off when they transition and they go on hormone blockers...oh wait.

Face it, if you've had gyno for more than a few months you're stuck with it until you get under a knife.

Is instant coffee alright to drink during a fast? I just ran out of coffee and all I have left is this instant stuff.
Think it'll fuck me up?

Yes, it's safe

nvm answered my own question before you guys could.
10 calories on the label is a dead giveaway.
Guess I'll hold out until I can buy some more actual coffee.

>If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.
Got linked to this thread. Is this really a good idea to just jump into? I watched the videos and it all seems great but shouldn't I have doctors supervising me or something if I'm going to be eating absolutely nothing except for vitamins and minerals?

It's easier to eat a ketogenic diet for a few days beforehand and then start fasting. You'll have fewer cravings in the first couple of days.

OK, cool, I'll try that then. I've done keto before but always ended up breaking it when friends wanted me to eat out with them

>As I've said previously,

this is not your fucking blog. nobody cares what you said previously you fucking imbacile

Keto is ezpz when going out. Just get steak and broccoli.

24 hours into a fast, hunger hit me like a truck when I got home from work. Going to make it at least 36 hours, 48 hours is the goal though.

That's what I've been wondering.
I just jumped straight into it and I'm feeling pretty nervous. I don't want to accidently die in my sleep.

not necessarily (you can still easily fast it is mostly depending on your will if you are not on keto) but what makes it definetaly easier are empty bowels.

remainings in your colon will make you more hungry.

Jokes on you fatass. You're not even eating vitamins. Just salts that you're going to mix into your water.

Don't give in.

You're going to want to, but just keep going. You're going to make it, but only if you keep going.

I'm calling 100% bullshit on this one.

fuck, really? what about malnutrition and shit

i tried intense skipping the other day while in ketosis...got a sharp headache...should i lower the intensity or stop skipping?

>10 calories
it's probably the flavoring yo, look at plain black coffee like you should be drinking anyway

well yah i have no evidence, i am talking out of my ass from experience.

i got this from a coworker who does some fasting sessions in a monastery. mostly old people. i jsut found some obscure german site whichs supports me but i refuse to use it as a source.

in the end of the day you are fasting on your own and i am not losing anything so who cares

i've done 3 fasts in total, 1st was 43 days, 2nd was 24 days and im currently 8 days into my third fast lads.

this 3rd fast has been weird as fuck, I've barely had any cravings nor have i felt hungry and keto flu in the first 3-4 days was non-existent

been doing way more exercise each day relative to my other two fasting periods, i only had a refeeding period of a week between this fast and my second fast but I easily adjusted back into ketosis.

hope the rest of this fast stays like this.

Bro you are fucking nuts. Drink lots of water and snake juice good luck.

t. 30 hour in babby

Those are some extraordinarily long fasts. Got pics?

Can you give some stats?

I live in a bumfuck town with no big supermarkets or anything. What's the best way for me to get the required sodium and potassium as stated in the OP?

fucking amazon

no amazon in my country

then the regional equivalent, this shit isn't rocket science

5'9 manlet

started at 262lb, ended 43 fast at 205lb, went upto 212lb in water weight, pigged out during christmas period to 218lb

started 2nd fast at 218lb and ended at 187lb, went upto 195lb after 1-2 days, assuming its water weight, ate quite a bit in the cheat week (had multiple bdays and events to go to, went upto 199lb)

8 days in, im back down to 185lb

i didnt take any body pics since i didnt think i was gonna go that long on the first fast, only real pictures are face pictures i sent to my friends/family as the fast progressed which i'm not comfortable posting here.

I drink about a gallon of water a day, I don't use snake juice though, I just supplement once a day with electrolyte/vitamin pills.

partially because the taste sucks in snake juice and i dislike the snake juice guy (can just take electrolyte pills with water and avoid the shitty taste anyways)

This is why I come to Veeky Forums. Posts like this. Thank you brother. You can do it too. You'll make it. Just fight the urge.

That's great!

Did you workout during that time? How did you get any energy to do anything?

Snake juice makes me throw up. Any alternatives?

Soup with an extra teaspoon of LiteSalt

I’ve never understood these and never used them, are they just blocks of seasoning?

this is not true at all

Basically the same thing as a ramen packet

Gyno is not the same as man tits you old dumb asshole.

you ate a bunch of food. thats about iy

Amazing

So I've figured out how to get my wife off my back about me not eating. I told her that I'm on a "cleanse" and snek jooce is detoxifying.

Women are stupid.

No youre stupid for not just telling your wife to calm down. Needing to lie to her equates her to a little child and you acting like one for playing her games. Grow a backbone.

Ever been married, user?

>3rd day in
>I hate the huge quantities of water I have to drink
Can I just drink tea (no comes-in-a-bag shit but some proper stuff like good pu'ers and oolongs)? I mean I already drink tons of coffee but I still chugged my water along with that... Tea+coffee+snake juice mix might not be a good idea tho as the tea and coffee might just deplete all the minerals and shit at an alarming rate while water is just that.. a water...

How big of a meme is dry fasting?
youtube.com/watch?v=VUsRld1K8Eo

>the toxins
memes

Just startet today with 16/8. Is it a good way to start?
and is it hard to consume 2700kcal in these 8 hours without eating shit?

I'm at round about 16%bf is this the way to go?
Don't want to get into Ausschwitz mode in no time.

Not a meme.
The toxins thing is real.
Problem is that there's a lot of money in playing down the effects of environmental toxins.

What are your goals?

i'm 1,88 @95kg
I would like to get to 90kg but a lot more lean.
Would love to see my body at 8-10% bf

dry fast will doo the Job.
1 day dry fast is like 3 days water fasting.
Autophagy kicks in and your Body will eat your tits.

>I would like to get to 90kg but a lot more lean.
>Would love to see my body at 8-10% bf
Then why are you eating 2700kcals in a day?

how do i handle working while on a fast? I typically do 1-3 day fasts and i usually find myself very weak and tired, how do I manage that?

should i eat less while i train?
Would you lower the intake to 2500 or even lower?
Don't want to loose muscle mass desu.

You're going to lose muscle mass on a cut. The whole point of fasting is to go into ketosis and cut fat asap, as it's muscle-sparing.

Nybody got snap chat and can send me gym pics ?

Make me feel fat, motivate me

I want to make like solid ass bros, you ever have a worry or trouble you hit me up and got someone to talk to

I could use that as well

23, 5'10", ~170 lbs
I've been lifting 3 times a week for a year, mostly to stay in shape (squat, deadlift, bench, ohp, pullups/chinups)
I always had a layer a fat around my stomach / lower back even though the rest of my body is pretty lean.
Started OMAD a few weeks ago to get rid of it, definitely starting to see my abs but it's nowhere as good/fast as I read on /fast/ threads / internet.

I was taking vitamin in the morning, now I take them at night while I eat, so it can't be that.
I only have a cup of black coffee to start the day, then water until my meal. I usually cook myself and try to avoid carbs and processed food as much as I can.
I wasn't eating breakfast before, so transitioning to omad was relatively easy, I noticed I'm hungry when I'm bored, now that I'm aware of that it's even easier to control it.

Should I just do a multi day water fast ?

>in a long fast
>weigh myself yesterday
>weigh myself today
>zero change not even 0.1lb loss

have I plateau'd, is it time to commit sudoku

Nothing major, on days i wasnt working, I did 2-3 miles of cardio a day and lifted some free weights that were 16kg.

when im working, I did around 10-12 miles of walking 4 nights of each week.

honestly energy levels were never that bad during any of the fasts, obviously you have less than you normally would but you just handle situations with a lower intensity

>Should I just do a multi day water fast ?
#yolo

It's water weight, theres no way you won't lose 0 lbs if you're not eating.

I take Aquaban every day so I shouldn't have much water inside though

GABA GABA GOOL!

id recommend 1 day dry fasting once a week and keep at omad while counting calories

I am currently obese. I can't control my appetite. Everyday I eat junk food. Currently 320 lbs at 6'3". I have tried water fasting but I quit 20 hours or so in. I really need to do an extended water fast as I'm convinced of the positive effects it will have, and that at my weight I'll lose a lot of weight real quickly. But how I can make it over the first 3 days? I want to get down to 200lbs.

Take some Nyquil at the 20-24 hour mark when you get hungry and sleep through it

Taking those every day will do bad shit to your body while fasting especially

What electrolyte pills? I cant stand snake juice either

I was obese too and i started out by cutting processed food from my diet, replacing with fruits/veggies and protein, and slowly restricting calories, then moving to fasting. Imo this makes it 10x easier than skipping to fasting right away as you don't really get junk food cravings anymore. Logging everything you eat in a journal or some kind of app helps a lot. Also try to not keep junk food in the house and stick to a grocery list while shopping so you won't binge on it so easily.

Why are you taking Aquaban?

I don't know if they have that over the counter here in Australia. But thanks. I remember the one time I did a 36 hour fast was when I had underslept. The tiredness I was feeling really numb my hunger.

Thanks but I have read a lot of cases of fat people jumping straight into extended fasts. I'd be happy to just get 28 days, and then do another 28 days.

Good job. How did you get there?

For water retention, I don't like feeling bloated. Usually just take it the first week of a fast to lose all the water weight quickly.