Strength base for aesthetics

do you need to have a strength base for aesthetics?
like, should you be able to move heavy weights to get big?
I don't lift very heavy- almost laughable by this boards standards, but I still look alright, although my chest sucks.

What did Ronnie Coleman say?

>erry body wanna be a bodybuilder but nobody wanna lift dese heavy azz weights!
haha yeah- what are some programs that combine aesthetics + strength? Reddit PPL?

bumping

>do you need to have a strength base for aesthetics?
No.
That's retarded.

PPL or PHUL
But really, just keep compounds to 4x5 and assistance to 3/4x10 or 12

everyone's like
>"yeah bro use the teenage years to build strength and then when you switch to hypertrophy you'll blow up I wish I had done that when I was young"
is this true?

I really like PPL because I have no life
Should I do Reddit PPL or Coolcicadas? I've been lifting for like 7 months but my numbers suck, both of these routines use your principle: low rep on compounds high rep on assitance

Yes, over time you need to increase weight to increase volume, it isn't strictly necessary, more correlation than causation.
>like, should you be able to move heavy weights to get big?
Yes
>I don't lift very heavy- almost laughable by this boards standards, but I still look alright, although my chest sucks.
Normal, you can look good and still lift light weights, because volume is the main driver of size gains, which is not to say that intensity doesn't have a role at it.
This isn't really a thing, lifting heavy as teenager is a advantage because you became better and stronger earlier in life that it, you shouldn't skip it, this would only make you waste all gains you made.

No. Sure helps though.
>like, should you be able to move heavy weights to get big?
You, specifically, can't lift heavy weights without being big.

i dont know i defintely think you should be not weak, maybe not necessarily strong
if you can do 2/3/4 for a 3x5, then congrats you are not weak and you have enough strength to gain the max value from assistance work, otherwise get stronger
this is not to say you need to squat 500 before you can fuck around with the hack squat machine, but you should be able to lift at least at an intermediate level

>he's on PPL
>his numbers suck
hmm what a coinky dink!

>Anonymous
yeah dude i agree
definitely this OP, volume is your best friend, make love to it every time you go in the gym, im talking crazy brutal face down ass up love, and the gains will submit and be yours

No.
That's stupid.

The only way for a natural to get "aesthetic" is to lift heavily and with lots of sets and reps.

A natural can continue to build mass off of the same weight for weeks, but will eventually have to add weight to the bar to shock the muscle into building more mass and gaining more strength..
However a "strength lifter" will need to up to up the weight for...whatever reason every week.

The former will get stronger, more mass, and greater joint and ligament integrity as well as a deeper understanding of the movements through lots of practice.
The latter will get...better numbers faster. And when they hit the wall they'll have to lift far far far less to lift for mass. Because they lack the sheer work capacity to complete the basic workouts.
Hell, they might even need to relearn how to do certain movements and even do far less then what they thought because they more varied movements and higher volume will reveal the weaknesses in their body.

he may be young and underage like 50% of this board

bump

no, but it's one of the most persistent memes on Veeky Forums

you will get both bigger and stronger lifting in higher rep ranges, and you will still be able to add weight to the bar (although not as often because the training volume is higher)

good shit
how's reddit PPL though? it alternates between heavy/volume days for OHP/Bench

i think it's shit personally, there is nothing wrong with the idea of PPL but that one is poorly executed

why? is coolcicada better?

bump

I think having 2x5, 1x5+ squats twice a week along with deadlift 1x5+ is already hard, but then you have to consider the systemic recovery demands go way up with a 6 day program with higher accessory volume

i know a few people who have run it and they all burned out in fairly short order and would have gotten further with a novice LP

coolcicada's has too much compound pressing back to back, 3x5 ohp and 3x5 incline bench is going to be fairly pointless after a hard 3x5 bench session, and why even everything with reps that low if you're on a PPL and your goal is presumably primarily size?

really I think PPLs are probably not a good choice for most people, 6 days in the gym is a fucking lot of time to commit when you take into account travel and shit

i have a homegym, I'm able to commit to PPL

my goal is primarily size too

>inb4 wheelchair bound with a snapcity spine
>inb4 literal melting former olympia

The Jason Blaha workouts are pretty good

Oh look it’s this thread again

You can be aesthetic if you progress on main lifts and do some isolation's/accessory work.

You'll find that at a certain point if you're not getting better on lifts that you wont be seeing any gains from a aesthetic point of view (at least as a natural lifter).

I've been lifting for 6 years, I can do all the meme "hypertrophy" training in the world and I wont grow at all, the only thing that causes me to see changes is progressing on lifts.