Curl thread

>fell for the "compounds are all you need for arms" meme

What are the best curl variations to integrate into my routine? I'm going to be doing bi's on chest day and tri's on back day to make sure I can hit them as hard as possible and that they aren't fatigued by the time I work them.

Bi's:
3 sets of 21s with an EZ curl bar
Pullups (supinated narrow grip pull up w/ slow negatives)
Heavy 3x5 barbell curls
Single armed cable curls (with arm locked and beginning behind my back)

Tri's:
Straight Dips
Pushdowns
Extensions

Any variety of the latter two. I like to mix up my grip for pushdowns. Heavy on dips. Extension I like beginning behind my head.

Arms exploded

Dont do any of these memes for triceps lol. My tris made serious gains when i started doing close grip bench.

>doing arms
I seriously hope you guys don't do this

weighted chin ups

4-5 sets of straight bar curls to near failure to stay in the 7-10 rep range dropping the weight, then burnout on heavy hammer curls for a few sets while completely neglecting my form works best for me

this and rippletoe version skull crushers. (rt skullcrushers use shoulder movement)

Hammer curls or Supinating curls for forearms
Skull crushers are great too

How do you do this many bicep exercises though? Mine feel so fatigued after doing 3 sets of curls. Do you just continue to decrease weight until you can't curl a feather anymore?

when biceps is the only thing you do then they get conditioned for it lol

I superset lte and cg bench for tris and dropset zottman curls for biceps and forearms

Can I do seated ez bar curls if I focus hard enough on contraction? Fucking scared to death of tearing a bicep.

drop the weight to keep the same rep range

just don't do insane weight, and don't try to go super quickly. slow, controlled and manageable weight for the number of reps i'm sure you'll be fine.

>biceps and forearms
Barbel curls or dumbbell curls depending on if I need to switch
Dumbbell preacher curls
Dumbbell rows

>triceps, delts, and traps
Skullcrushers
Hammer curls
Lateral raises
Dumbbell shrugs

Five sets with at least five reps and then until failure each.

I do, yeah. I feel it helps me with a pump and metabolic damage

Hammer curls have their place, I dropped regular bicep curls from my routine years ago though. I guess they're ok if you want to flex at who res on the beach, but pretty useless if you want functional strength for a sport.

for my arms i usually do dips, skullcrushers, tricep extension, barbell curls, hammer curls

currently doing reverse db curls and wrist curls for my forearms on top of my other compounds. is this enough?

Bench with dumbels, try to keep them in line as if they were connected by one bar.

Balancing that shit burns.

everyday
>100 reps of curls with a 45lb barbell
if you get over 100 in one set (you fucking won't), increase by 5-10lbs and start over
for forearms, every other day as some other user suggested
>5 sets of 2 minute bar twists (? continuously rotate the bar in your hand)
I'm starting with 5 sets of 1 minute because it's hard as hell, gives me a sick forearm pump and my forearms have been looking more vascular/slightly bigger after almost 2 weeks

bumb

LMAO enjoy your bicep tear

I do 3x10 EZ-bar curls and go to complete failure on the last set. I slow the negative down so much on the last couple of reps that I feel like my arms are about to tear. Done at the end of the workout, of course, so it doesn't mess with my main lifts. There's no need to do multiple curl variations. Pull-ups or rows will give you a bit more of the volume you need.

You'd develop carpal tunnel or tendonitis before you tore your bicep, armlet.
It's called nucleus overload training and got me from being stuck at just under 16 inches to 16.5 in a month just from bicep gains

tendonitis way before that desu

hammer curls, barbell curls, preacher curls, incline db curls (spider curls/drag curls)

my favorite is flatbar curls because they rape your forearms too

Hurts the fuck out of my wrist.

just go light with em at first. and don't try to keep a perfectly straight wrist when you do it. allow them to bend down very slightly, but controlled.
I think wrist pain is generally just due to weak wrists. I used to not be able to finish by back squats because the wrist position killed me. They just get stronger and used to it over time.

>tfw can only curl 30 lb dumbbells and form is probably shit too

being a 135 pound holocaust twig sucks

Found the wristlet. Develop them forearms soyboy

I try to keep it simple. On pull day, these exercises hit biceps.

3x failure pullups or chinups
3x8 row
3x8 curl
3x8 hammer curl

By the time I leave the gym my biceps are rock solid. Since there isn't a ton of different things involved, its easier to dial in the weights you need to get to failure on your last reps. I've seen some bready gud gains from these, went from 13" to 15.5"

I always stay aware of the anatomy of the muscle, in this case the long and short head of the bicep so you can target them both consciously. I just mix evenly some of these exercises.

3 x 6-8 Close grip chinups (long head)
3 x 8-10 Inclined DB Curls (long head)
3 x 8-10 EZ Wide Grip Curls (short head), sometimes DB Concentration curls
3 x max Bar isometric hold as a finisher
3 x 10 Reverse DB curls (brachioradialis)

>went from 13" to 15.5"

How long did that take?

>make sure they havent fatigued by the time I work them

Fucking kek the absolute state of this board. Do you even understand how muscle growth works?

I would also like to know this, I'm at 13 currently

I went from probably about 13-14 to 16.25 in 3 years.

Enlighten me senpai. If I can curl twice as much when my bi's are fresh won't that be better than trying to curl half as much after a slew of compounds?

How? You had realized that if you watch only one Powerlifter competition, all strong as fuck, but compared to Bodybuilder pathetic muscle size on their arms (except those who put curls in their program, like Eddie Hall).

21s
Pullups
Reverse grip 21s

>fell for the PPL meme
SS doesn't do curls for a reason

Arnold Press seems to do well for y biceps

Arnold press is nearly all delts and tris

then why do i get a wicked bi pump from it?

What do you mean by metabolic damage?

Because you're fucking it up, or you have tiny arms?

Bodyweight chins monday
Curls wednesday
Weighted chins 5x5 friday
Enough to save myself from /noarmmode/? I already get enough tricep work from benching and doing pressing accessories 3x a week

benis curls

>Bis on chest day and tris on back day
Are you retarded? You're supposed to do the opposite. You're using your bis on back day and vice versa you turbo autist

I wanted to do bi's when they were freshest so I could pull more weight. At the end of my chest day I can curl 3x12 at 35lbs but at the end of back day I can barely do 30 for a set and it goes down by 5lb increments with each set.

do you measure biceps flexed or not?

And when the fuck are your biceps supposed to rest you moron? Your goal is not to curl as much weight as you possibly can but to tire the bis as much as you can while allowing them to rest. Curl on back day, and only after you do your compounds. Don't be a retard

basically this for tris

Bis:
Weighted Chins - I prefer neutral grip and doing a 4 point pause - deadhang, at 90 degrees, at top, and at 90 degrees again, pause jut long enough for it to be a proper stop but no longer.
Preacher Curls - good if you move elbow forward
Incline Hammer Curls - long head and forearms. Can perform with cables.

Tris:
Heavy weighted dips
supinated pulldowns - point knuckles behind you at the bottom.
Overhead extensions - touch neck with dumbbell, move slowly and dont move elbow at all.

I tried doing a pre-exercise as a superset before my compounds (curls before rows, flies before chest, overhead extensions before ohp). Don't think there was any benefit - didn't get stronger, maybe could endure a bit more volume.

fucking hate curls

I can barely curl 18 pounds. Is that too low? What's the curlet cutoff?

I can't do normal curls (palm facing up) anymore due to a wrist injury but I can do hammer curls all day. I should be able to do weighted chinups as well.

What other curl movements can I do that don't require the palm to be face up?

Worth your consideration, OP. I followed exactly your approach for exactly the same reason for 10 weeks: push compounds on one day and tricep isolations on a separate day/ pull compounds on one day and bicep isolations on a separate day to hit the isolation exercises fresh rather than fatigued.

I didn't get the results I hoped for and have now abandoned the approach, for two reasons:
>splitting up isolations from compounds that way negatively impacts your ability to recover and, thus, grow. You're breaking down the muscles everyday and never resting them sufficiently.
>my isolations never felt intense, precisely because I had neglected to pre-fatigue the triceps/biceps with compounds prior to hitting the isolations. Intensity contributes to hypertrophy.

I'm now following the conventional wisdom of ending a push day with tricep isolations and a pull day with bicep isolations and so far I'm much more satisfied. My isolation work is intense and my muscles now benefit from proper recovery times between workouts. Hopefully this post saves you a few months of mistakes.